Guest Bullitt

Nice pull on the 441# Sir.

Thats my max too.

Awesome workout Mike.

Guest Bullitt

Pressing day:

Warm up:

Upper body mobility including some cobra yoga poses

foam roller work on back and to work on arch.

Bench:

Warmup:

barX20

135X8

205X3

Then 3 board press:

275X3

275X3

275X3

300X1

315Xruh roh. This got really ugle for a second. Brought the weight down just fine. Started back up and missed about 2" off board and it came back down. Well when it came back down it came down low and slid even further toward my waist. So Melissa had no leverage and I had no leverage. So now we're stuck. :blush Anyway, Melissa remembered exactly what I told her to do if we ever got in this position and couldn't get the weight off me if I hurt myself or something. She hurried around the bench to lift one side while I dumped to the other. She and lindsey held that side up until i could get out from under it and everything was fine. I so wish I would have had that on camera as it would have been hilarious to watch. :laugh

Seated press:

BarX10

135X10

185X3

185X3

185X3

Upright, wide grip barbell rows:

BarX15

95X10

115X8

135X5

Afterward: stretching, Cobra poses alternated with downward dog, 3 consecutive wall squats without falling on my arse! :laugh

Here's the vid from 3rd set of 275X3. Am I doing these board presses right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dfnav-C_yo

Mike

Please save up and buy a full rack. I got mine for under 300 on ebay, play it again sports has em tp from time to time

Rico

Mike,

The presses look very good. I like to pause a few more seconds then accelerate up... Whew on that 315 man... at least we figured out a struggling point to work on. And you did the right thing by having 2 spotters!! Also, mix it up a tad and try 2,3 , and 4 board in the future to really pinpoint. But don't jump in too heavy dude :mosher. Don't worry, I promise in a few weeks, 315 will be easy... However, I do agree with Parris, and save up for a power rack! That will save your life and you'll hit huge pr's feeling safe..... But spending $10 on some boards is a great investment!! Nice lifts man!! Getting used to doing it is fun and the gains will come quick!

Chris

I had a chance to buy a power rack right before Gripmas - didn't know anyone wanted one - it was only $125 and wasn't a bad rack at all.

I had a chance to buy a power rack right before Gripmas - didn't know anyone wanted one - it was only $125 and wasn't a bad rack at all.

I NEVER find deals like that! NEVER!

See Mike I told you I at least half know what I'm talkin about?

Rico

Guest Bullitt

Rico, at least 51% buddy! :laugh

Thanks guys. Right now, money is tight. When I get some, a power rack is definitely in the cards. Until then, I will have to make do.

Zach pointed something out that I was missing. My shoulders were going up and down instead of locking my shoulder blades together. I thought I was out of that habit. Something else to work on. Geeeesh!

Happy New Year everybody!

Thanks guys. Right now, money is tight. When I get some, a power rack is definitely in the cards. Until then, I will have to make do.

Zach pointed something out that I was missing. My shoulders were going up and down instead of locking my shoulder blades together. I thought I was out of that habit. Something else to work on. Geeeesh!

Awesome call Zach!! Mike, that last rep had an excellent pause on it! Plus, the dog in the video was worth at least 5lbs on the 3 board press! 275 for a triple is awesome man! So, what did you think overall?

Rico,

No worries man! I think alot of your info is "true to heart". Maybe we should start a "power rack for Mike' fund?? :mosher

He wouldnt use it any way, he dosen't listen to me. He will learn. Ill show him the scar between my lip and nose from a benchpress accident when I was younger and he will go "charge" one.

Luv ya mike :)

Rico

Guest Bullitt

Awesome call Zach!! Mike, that last rep had an excellent pause on it! Plus, the dog in the video was worth at least 5lbs on the 3 board press! 275 for a triple is awesome man! So, what did you think overall?

Rico,

No worries man! I think alot of your info is "true to heart". Maybe we should start a "power rack for Mike' fund?? :mosher

That was my mum-in-law's dog. Usually it's my dog getting in the shots. :D Really liked these. The 3 boards puts me right at my usual sticking point on the bench. It was nice handling some bigger weight too. Had I not done 3 sets of 3 with 275 I think the 315 woulda gone. 300 went so i figured why not? But by then I was gassed. Great suggestion Chris. I'll definitely be working these in.

He wouldnt use it any way, he dosen't listen to me. He will learn. Ill show him the scar between my lip and nose from a benchpress accident when I was younger and he will go "charge" one.

Luv ya mike :)

Rico

:laugh I would definitely use it bro! I've wanted one for a long time. And I do listen to you man. You have been a huge help this year. I always feel bad getting Melissa to spot me. I may buy a couple of the adjustable height, metal saw horses that hold up to 1500# from HD to use in the mean time. At $30 a pop, I may be able to fit them in the budget. I know Kris Hamilton bought a set and used them to be safe while he was working up to that 405 single earlier in the year.

Benching, even with a spotter, can be a risky proposition without a safety net. Saw my buddy drop 275 or so on his teeth lifting for football in high school (with a spotter - lost a ton of teeth and broke both sides of his jaw). I've had a healthy respect for the lift ever since.

Mike

This is great. If I didn't have a half a doz. Of mickys in me right now id go squat tonight!

Go with the saw horses that will work for now!

Happy new year brother!

Parris

smile mike, your a winner!

rico

Edited by rico300zx

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Rico. Needed that. :)

Here was today's lower body session. Still just working on getting this form down on squats. Weight will come later.

Warmup:

mobility exercises

wall squats

light goblet squats

good mornings with bar

Squats: (closed grippers in between squat sets)- all below parallel. Lowest i have been able to get yet.

BarX10

135X10

185X5

185X5

205X4

205X3

Zercher squats with my pipe axle (1.9"): (Grippers in between sets again)- all arse-in-sod.

110X10

180X5

180X5

230X1

Stiff legged deadlifts with my pipe axle (DO grip)

180X10

180X10

Stretching.

Guest Bullitt

Wasn't feeling that great tonight (not much sleep the last few days) so just a quick bench workout. Wasn't feeling particularly strong, but my workout went OK. Lockouts and speed through my sticking point were improved.

Warm up:

mobility and stretching

shoulder prehab

Bench:

barX15

95X5

135X4

185X5

235X5

235X5

235X5

235X4 (Was going for 5X5 but 4th rep got a little low and out of the groove. I racked after this and decided to stop here because my biceps and elbows hurt slightly - look at me being smart :yikes ) I'll use this weight again next time I go for 5X5. All in all, pretty pleased.

Guest Bullitt

Still a good workout Mike! Makes you feel a tad better after a bad day....

Yea, anything to get me out of my own head. Elbow and bicep feel fine now. Glad I stopped though. Better safe than sorry.

I get elbow and wrist pain when I go over 405 on bench EVERY time! I now use elbow sleeves and wrist wraps and they help a lot!