Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

I think you should go from your 3 something to 450. Screw the micro jump on your PR. You're wamed up. I think you would've nailed it bro.

Guest Bullitt

Thanks everybody! I have been trying a slightly wider stance and the knurling has been tearing up my shins, plus I was channeling Andrew D with the knee highs. :laugh Yea Jason, I think I might have had 450 had i just skipped the 425 but I wanted to make sure I got a PR. next time!!! Really appreciate all the support guys. I know this is a ridiculously light weight for most of you, but I am so freakin happy with this after all the trouble I have had with my back. If you had told me 3 years ago when I was laying in the hospital after my back surgery that I would be lifting over 400 lbs I would have laughed. hell, I would have laughed at 300. :)

Dude, you're already pulling more than I was earlier this year. 500 will easily come before the end of 2010.

It won't be a problem for you man! You and your neighbour can discuss the arrangement when you're pulling 550# by next summer Hahaha!

Guest Bullitt

Very good workout tonight. Squats, grippers, 2HP.

Warmup and then:

Squats:

135X10

185X3

205X3

225X3

275X3 - stopped here as I wasn't getting the depth I wanted at this weight.

Then I went after the 178# 3.5 gripper I got from Sam Solomi:

miss, close, close, close. Squats really help grippers. period.

Then it was time to try out the new 2HP grip that Jedd coached me on after Gripmas. Figured I would work up to 170 or so just to get used to it. Nope... felt so good I pulled a new PR. Thanks Jedd!! :D

102.7X3

137.7X3

172.7X1X1

202.7X1 (PR)

205.2X4" of air.

Mke great work for the PRs tonight. Hey I hope you just didn't just figure out that squats and grip go hand and hand, you know I always preach this. Let me ask you a Q. What's going on that 275 is giving you a hard time when squating but you can pull 450 with no form? These lifts should be very close in poundages. Does somethig hurt when squatting and not DLing. Or is it new for you? I'm going to squat tonight so I can win that 550 deadlift race!

Rico

Guest Bullitt

Mke great work for the PRs tonight. Hey I hope you just didn't just figure out that squats and grip go hand and hand, you know I always preach this. Let me ask you a Q. What's going on that 275 is giving you a hard time when squating but you can pull 450 with no form? These lifts should be very close in poundages. Does somethig hurt when squatting and not DLing. Or is it new for you? I'm going to squat tonight so I can win that 550 deadlift race!

Rico

I hadn't done real squats in years because my back was always hurt and then I had the 2 surgeries. Was doing them straddling my bench earlier this year, but got these squat stands from Jedd a couple months ago. Figured I could go right back to doing ass in the grass squats with 315 like the old days, but it was like I had forgotten how to squat. My hip complex was so tight and I couldn't even do a single with 135 without bending way forward. I have been working on it for about 2 months now and have made a little progress. I can load the bar up and get down around parallel, but I don't want to get heavy until I have my form dialed in again. Hopefully my squats will be catching up to my pulls sometime next year.

I always squat before grippers when I hope to hit a new PR. Adds 5 to 10 lbs.

Guest Bullitt

Rick Walker had asked me to film some DLs from different angles so i pulled today:

Mobility exercises

stretching

good mornings with the bar

DO deadlifts:

135X10

225X5

295X1

365X1

435X1 (PR) Figured what the heck since I was pulling anyway. :D

Barbell Rows:

225X8X8

300X3 superset with shrugs X10

Here are the pulls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR_O1ZlHTGk

Rick Walker had asked me to film some DLs from different angles so i pulled today:

Mobility exercises

stretching

DO deadlifts:

135X10

225X5

295X1

365X1

Barbell Rows:

225X8X8

Here are the pulls:

Mike,

Form still needs work. I want to jump through the screen to help you, I wish you lived closer. Get your shoulders up as if you were standing and puffin out your chest, deep breath puff it up and puuuulllllll back and up. Get you shoulders in line with your heals and pull back. Grind it up you shins. That helps keep your form. when your bleedin you know your your shoulders are in line. Then after you learn the hard way where high socks. Start with your butt down almost sit on your hanches. Don't goof around at the bar take 1 or 2 steps back 2 quick breaths, step up to bar suck in one more to puff grab it and go up and pull, all one fluid motion.

Rico

Mobility exercises

stretching

DO deadlifts:

135X10

225X5

295X1

365X1

Barbell Rows:

225X8X8

Here are the pulls:

Mike,

Form still needs work. I want to jump through the screen to help you, I wish you lived closer. Get your shoulders up as if you were standing and puffin out your chest, deep breath puff it up and puuuulllllll back and up. Get you shoulders in line with your heals and pull back. Grind it up you shins. That helps keep your form. when your bleedin you know your your shoulders are in line. Then after you learn the hard way where high socks. Start with your butt down almost sit on your hanches. Don't goof around at the bar take 1 or 2 steps back 2 quick breaths, step up to bar suck in one more to puff grab it and go up and pull, all one fluid motion.

Rico

I think I'd bleed in preference.

Guest Bullitt

Mike,

Rico

Thanks bro, but I'm working with Rick Walker and Smitty. While the form still isn't 100%, they both seemed pleased with my progress. The steps I take before my pulls are part of the plan and have really seem to help. Rick's pulled 700+ and really knows his stuff. And Smitty is... well Smitty. One of the guys out there I trust implicitly to steer me right. The pre-pull routine will speed up when it becomes second nature, but right now I need to mentally go through the checklist. Tough to argue with the results as my DL has gone up 55# in the 2 months I have been working with them. Plus, a lot of what you say contradicts their advice (like lowering my butt). We have been working on getting it up into proper position, creating a good base for the ramp.

And a little Five finger death punch in the background! :mosher

nice job Mike!

Thanks bro! FFDP is always good for 5 or 10 lbs! :mosher

Edited by Bullitt

I didn't know you had them coaching you? You're the one that posted For everone to check out your form, sorry I just missunderstood your intention.

Rico

I didn't know you had them coaching you? You're the one that posted For everone to check out your form, sorry I just missunderstood your intention.

Rico

From Mike's post(the 1st line):

"Rick Walker had asked me to film some DLs from different angles so i pulled today"

The problem is there are many ways for many different body types to pull.... and WAY too many opinions out there. If mike has had great results from ones coaching then I understand where he's coming from. The last anyone needs is conflicting suggestions to screw the old mans back up even more :laugh

Now I personally don't claim to be a pro at it, but i try to give my personal feedback when I've had a lot of "personal" experience on success and failure for a certain exercise. I.e- Mike asked for feedback on his squat form: I gave him a person I feel would help him better than myself as I have had excellent results by his coaching.

In conclusion, you were not wrong nor right as everybody is different to what works for them,etc

Chris

Chris I was actually refering to the post from yesterday squat form and depth check. Sooooo I was checkin him.

Mike, I wouldn't have gave so much input had I known you had Rick and Smitty workin with ya already. If you need additional help PM me and ill shoot you a video and you can use it to compare notes with what u already know. I just can't type it very well iguess. Sorry for all the confusion

Rico

Guest Bullitt

Chris I was actually refering to the post from yesterday squat form and depth check. Sooooo I was checkin him.

Mike, I wouldn't have gave so much input had I known you had Rick and Smitty workin with ya already. If you need additional help PM me and ill shoot you a video and you can use it to compare notes with what u already know. I just can't type it very well iguess. Sorry for all the confusion

Rico

No big deal bro. I've just been working with them on DLs mainly. I really need help on the squats and everyone's input (including yours big guy) was very helpful.

Strong DL Mike...435 is a big weight and without straps is harder to lift...Keep up the good work my friend! :rock

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Manthos!

Went to Gold's today. Have this free membership until end of year so i figured i better use it.

Did full mobility and warmup before workout.

Double Overhand Rack Pulls from knee height:

135X10

225X5

315X3

405X3

500X1

515Xalmost (lost it out of left hand just before lockout)

Box squats (just working on form)(Probably should have done these before rack pulls :blink )

135X10

135X10

185X3

225X3

Stiff legged deadlifts:

135X10

225X5

Should feel that workout in the spinal erectors tomorrow. :D

Thanks Manthos!

Went to Gold's today. Have this free membership until end of year so i figured i better use it.

Did full mobility and warmup before workout.

Double Overhand Rack Pulls from knee height:

135X10

225X5

315X3

405X3

500X1

515Xalmost (lost it out of left hand just before lockout)

Box squats (just working on form)(Probably should have done these before rack pulls :blink )

135X10

135X10

185X3

225X3

Stiff legged deadlifts:

135X10

225X5

Should feel that workout in the spinal erectors tomorrow. :D

Good workout Mike! I'm surprised your grip went out. Makes you look mortal again. Hahaha!