Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

2 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Mike - cool old find!  I never doubted you for a moment.  One of the fallacies of lifting weights is that it always makes us "better athletes" - which is true and not true at the same time.  Depending on sport - gaining weight, even muscular weight can hurt as much as help.  Many sports are simply strength to weight ratio sports.  Track and field comes to mind here - if you get bigger you need to get stronger by more than the size change to improve.   I was stronger at a much lighter BW back in the day - as many of us were.  Maybe not in pure weight lifting numbers but in the ways that mattered for those sports.  Most of us would be better off if we could return to the BW we had back then.  LOL 

170 lean mean pounds.  Lol

8 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

170 lean mean pounds.  Lol

At my best pole vault and running size I was about the same (at 6' 2")   Best climbing size was 175 to 178# I'd guess but I would have been better at 155 or 160#.

• Like 1

I looked up in one of Dale Harder’s books, my best Mile time my senior year versus your best High Jump.You beat me by 13 seconds...That would have made you a very good T & F man.

For the record, Bernie Sanders’ best mile his senior year was 3 seconds faster than mine. That’s the best thing I can say about Bernie... And, according to Harder’s tables, my Mile converted to a 6’0” High Jump.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I looked up in one of Dale Harder’s books, my best Mile time my senior year versus your best High Jump.You beat me by 13 seconds...That would have made you a very good T & F man.

For the record, Bernie Sanders’ best mile his senior year was 3 seconds faster than mine. That’s the best thing I can say about Bernie... And, according to Harder’s tables, my Mile converted to a 6’0” High Jump.

I'm out of likes, but you get one when I get some more.  That's awesome Mike.  I was average at best in anything over a 400.  My best 400 was 53 something.   Don't remember what I ran, but had a solid 200 time.  My 100 was pitiful.  Took too long to get those long limbs going at 6'4".  I always wished it was a 120 'cause I was always closing at the end.  Haha

Edited by Mike Rinderle

23 minutes ago, climber511 said:

At my best pole vault and running size I was about the same (at 6' 2")   Best climbing size was 175 to 178# I'd guess but I would have been better at 155 or 160#.

Yea, at 6'4" I ranged from 165 - 175 through high school.  I'd take 205 today.  Lol.

If you read the paragraph after the high jump mention you will also discover I was a huge physics nerd too.  🤓🤓🤓

Yes, very cool find, Mike!  And most impressive track stats!  My running peaked in 7th grade, and then I started lifting. I was always better at distance running: 40 minute 10 second 10k at age 13.  Never had the fast twitch fibers for sprinting or jumping.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Yes, very cool find, Mike!  And most impressive track stats!  My running peaked in 7th grade, and then I started lifting. I was always better at distance running: 40 minute 10 second 10k at age 13.  Never had the fast twitch fibers for sprinting or jumping.

That's a really quick 10k at 13.  I usually ran 17 -19 minute 5ks but never had the gas for a 10k.  I think my best ever 5k was under 17 minutes, but it would have taken me another 30 minutes to run a second one.  Haha

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

Another interesting factoid in the track article.  It mentions that our coach (also the HS physics teacher) was a semifinalist for the Teacher Space Shuttle Program.  He was the last cut before Christa McAuliffe for the Challenger flight.   @climber511 @Hubgeezer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Another interesting factoid in the track article.  It mentions that our coach (also the HS physics teacher) was a semifinalist for the Teacher Space Shuttle Program.  He was the last cut before Christa McAuliffe for the Challenger flight.   @climber511 @Hubgeezer

Oh to be young again :) 

A 53.3 400 equals a 6’0” High Jump according to Harder, and a 53.75 equals a 5’11 HJ.My senior year, our 440 guy never broke 54 seconds.In other words, we didn’t have a real 440 guy.

A 19 second 100 equals a 3’6” High Jump. What does a 100 second 100 have to so with anything? My only Half Mile of my Junior College career, I finished with  a 19 second 100. Up until the last 100, I was on track for breaking two minutes.I think the term”rigor mortis” aptly described what my body went through at 700 meters. Incidentally, six years before then, I broke my arm high jumping 3’6”. I was following the tradition of my brother, who at the very same spot, another five years earlier in our back yard, the then 13 year old broke his arm pole vaulting 5 feet.
My family, top notch jumpers...Not.

My junior college coach once said the the strength of a track team was measured by its Mile Relay team.Never heard that before or since, but it looked to be true at the high school and junior college level from my limited observations.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 2

yesterday:  worked up to a 315 t&g bench press.  Grinder.  

Then band curls.

Still going through boxes of old stuff my grandma kept.  Apparently I wanted to be a weightlifter at age 9.  I remember cheering on Bob Young during the '77 WSM.  

20200423_175016.thumb.jpg.1eac2a18165d1be149565ad37682ee88.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

Worked up to an AMRAP with 225 today.  13.9 reps.  Just couldn't quite lock out 14.  13 is 2 from my all time max.

Then Band press downs, pull downs, rows, and curls.

• Like 2

I loved reading your book, Mike!  I've never come across that one before.  Still reeling in disbelief over the numbers being thrown around back then!

And what's going on with your bench lately?!  It's out of control!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

I loved reading your book, Mike!  I've never come across that one before.  Still reeling in disbelief over the numbers being thrown around back then!

Bench is directly correlated to my weight and it is through the roof!  It will drop back down when I get a handle on my diet again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Strong dudes in the 70's!  Haha

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 2:42 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

Stroll down memory lane today.  Went through some of the stuff my grandma had saved over the years  I'm pretty sure @Hubgeezer and @climber511 probably had some doubts on whether I really high jumped 6'4" as a Senior. I didn't find anything on that, but I did come across a newspaper clipping that mentions me getting 6'2" as a junior.  Then just some other stuff to validate that I was once thin and athletic.  Haha. Couldn't find my all-state stuff, but did find a shirt the Cincinnati Post gave me for all-city.  Looking back, it appears I peaked in High School physically.   Bwahahaha

One thing is for sure, I'll never fit in them skimpy cross country shorts again. 😥

BTW, the guy that edged me out for first in the League Championship High Jump was Vinnie Clark who starred at Ohio State and played in the NFL.  Bastard couldn't give me my one moment.  Lol

Cool story about getting beat by Vinnie Clark.  Being a lifelong Packers fan, I remember him very well.  The Packers took him in the 1st round of the 1991 draft, and then in the 3rd round of that same draft they took Don Davey, who was born and raised in the same county as me.  Vinnie didn't last long with the Packers, but I remember him being a freaky athlete.  You shouldn't feel too bad at all that he nudged you into second place for the championship!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IROC-Z said:

Cool story about getting beat by Vinnie Clark.  Being a lifelong Packers fan, I remember him very well.  The Packers took him in the 1st round of the 1991 draft, and then in the 3rd round of that same draft they took Don Davey, who was born and raised in the same county as me.  Vinnie didn't last long with the Packers, but I remember him being a freaky athlete.  You shouldn't feel too bad at all that he nudged you into second place for the championship!

He was a freak of nature.  Nice guy too.  He dove over the bar old school instead of flopping backwards like everyone else.  No technique.  Just dove over the bar like Superman.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Bench is directly correlated to my weight and it is through the roof!  It will drop back down when I get a handle on my diet again.

Same. More beer and milk I consume the more I bench... and squat. Deadlift says “whatever”. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Same. More beer and milk I consume the more I bench... and squat. Deadlift says “whatever”. 

Yup.  In fact, I actually pull a little better at 255 - 265 than I do at 270-280.  Not sure why.

• Like 1

Tonight's workout:

Digesting this bad boy and seeing if there's any room around my organs to store the extra calories.

20200426_170309.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Tonight's workout:

Digesting this bad boy and seeing if there's any room around my organs to store the extra calories.

20200426_170309.jpg

That looks really good.  Been too long since I've had a nice steak. And I dare say that almost looks like a diet-portion...?

8 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

That looks really good.  Been too long since I've had a nice steak. And I dare say that almost looks like a diet-portion...?

Actually is.  Only 11oz.  Meager.  

• Like 1

BP: 300 for a double.  Thought about trying a 3rd rep but quit while I was ahead.  Lol

Sawyer got 15 for a 2 x 2.  🥰

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Thought about trying a 3rd rep but quit while I was ahead

index.jpg

• Haha 2