Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

I need to start working my grippers if I'm going to keep from embarassing myself at Nationals. Figured Jedd's Diesel Crew Gripper Challenge was a good excuse to blow off the dust. I've hit grippers two or three times in the last year. All the bending has kept my grip pretty strong. Gave my 169.2# 3.5 four attempts. These were the closest two. No full body workout and no caffeine. So I'm going to hit some squats and drink a monster before Friday at 8:00PM and try this again. I think I'm good for this gripper, or will be soon with the 20mm block set. I know I won't be at my tip top on grippers for Nationals, but I should be good for 170 or so with the 20mm block. I know I'm going to get killed on the pinch and medley, but plan on making up some ground on the wrist roller and the plateau buster (even though I've never tried one). My support grip is strong right now from all the braced bending.

Here are the two misses from today's workout:

http://youtu.be/9VTUg4WGWpU

Talking on the Battlefield with Carl D. about deadlifting and knowing that I need to work on it again if I am going to brace kink the 20mm and then 7/8 stock enough to finish it, I pulled today for the first time in God knows when. Probably been close to a year. My back was just giving me way too much trouble. Anyway, I stopped by TSc and got a couple car ramps for changing your oil. Got this idea from Smitty over at Diesel Crew a while ago. I can use them to raise the bar or stand on them to do deficit deads. Nowhere near ready for DDs so I pulled from the blocks today. They put my bar right at 14" or 7" below the center of my knee when standing upright.

Everything was DO until the final pull:

135 3X3

225 2X3

295 1, 1

365 1

415 1

465 miss right before lockout because my grip slipped.

465 1 mixed.

Here's the 465 lift so you can see my set up. My form looked horrible from this angle. Hips came up too soon, etc. Definitely some work to do. But all in all I was pretty happy with this. My best pull from the floor was 485 right before I gave up pulling last year. Back felt really good. Right hip (the one with arthritis the worst) is hurting a bit after the fact, but nothing serious.

http://youtu.be/b04FvdBqBOA

Warmed up with some light axle deads and then hit some prep for the US Grip Nationals:

- 2 attempts at my 169.2# #3.5 with block set for Diesel Challenge. I'll need to see the vid, but they were both very close if not closed.

- DO axle deads from 14" axle height (about 7" below knees): 200 X 3, 250 X 1, 300 X 1, 360 X 0.9 (didn't get it locked out), 360 X miss, 350 X 1.

- 2HP - Sucked. Nuff said.

- Reverse Wrist roller (2.5" smooth PVC): 35lbs, shoulder height. Up and down continuously for 5 minutes straight. Way too light on this. Got a bit of a pump in the top side of my forearms, but not much else. I think I'm good for 100 lbs at a fast pace for a minute. I'll try that next time.

Other than 2HP, everything seems to be coming back pretty quick. All the bending really improved my wrist strength over where I was 12 - 18 months ago and I think that has helped a lot.

I need to start working my grippers if I'm going to keep from embarassing myself at Nationals. Figured Jedd's Diesel Crew Gripper Challenge was a good excuse to blow off the dust. I've hit grippers two or three times in the last year. All the bending has kept my grip pretty strong. Gave my 169.2# 3.5 four attempts. These were the closest two. No full body workout and no caffeine. So I'm going to hit some squats and drink a monster before Friday at 8:00PM and try this again. I think I'm good for this gripper, or will be soon with the 20mm block set. I know I won't be at my tip top on grippers for Nationals, but I should be good for 170 or so with the 20mm block. I know I'm going to get killed on the pinch and medley, but plan on making up some ground on the wrist roller and the plateau buster (even though I've never tried one). My support grip is strong right now from all the braced bending.

Here are the two misses from today's workout:

http://youtu.be/9VTUg4WGWpU

Nice attempts Mike. You really kill the momentum with this set. Keep up the hard work bro !!

Thanks Joefrey! I gave it another couple tries yesterday and I might have touched the handles on one of them. Vid was inconclusive. :unsure

Pulled 500lbs from my 6" blocks today. Came up much easier than 465 did last Wednesday. Hopefully I will be pulling this from the floor soon.

http://youtu.be/aqzMpBW0YCk

Nice! Wish my dead would bounce back that fast. Haven't gone heavier than 455 since the last time I saw you up at Jedd's. Verily suckeths.

Nice! Wish my dead would bounce back that fast. Haven't gone heavier than 455 since the last time I saw you up at Jedd's. Verily suckeths.

Trade you my deads for your bench. :whistel

Thanks buddy!

Mike, I'm waiting for the day you fall through the floor... that will be your greatest accomplishment :laugh

Mike, I'm waiting for the day you fall through the floor... that will be your greatest accomplishment :laugh

As long as I catch it on video! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Pulled 500lbs from my 6" blocks today. Came up much easier than 465 did last Wednesday. Hopefully I will be pulling this from the floor soon.

http://youtu.be/aqzMpBW0YCk

when I pull from blocks it kills my numbers. I was using either 6 or 8" blocks and barely got 355 last time I used them. that's big pulling by the way. what is your bodyweight at these days. I know you lost a lot of the weight you had gained, is it back?

Thanks Brent. I weighed in at 254 this morning. At my biggest last year I was at 272. I've been hovering between 250 and 256 since I shrank.

Yesterday I squatted for the first time in awhile. Just light weight to get my form dialed back in. Doubles with 185 felt fine. Going to take it slow and steady. 400 is the goal. 360 was my previous PR on a squat below parallel.

Today:

Pulled. My back could have used another day's rest, but I was feeling froggy and wanted to get that 500 out of the way. Worked up to 500 and pulled it just below knee height twice. This is going up soon.

2HP with the 54mm climber block. These felt much better than they have been. Did lots of singles at 105 and 140 just working on hand positioning and then got good air twice under 185. My 2HP is around 10 lbs above what I can do on this so I think 200 - 210 at Nationals will happen if I keep improving at this rate. This is only my 3rd pinch workout since starting back at grip training and that's a 15lb improvement.

Dynamic thumb work with pony clamp.

Lifts with Eaton's 42.5 lb blob each hand a few times.

2 3/8" PVC reverse wrist roller. 90 lbs up and down for 1 minute. Not easy, but not horrible either. I'm going to stick at this weight for a couple workouts and work on speed and extend the time to 2 minutes before I move up in weight.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

Yesterday: Went to war with the BKOAB

Today:

Deadlifts:

135: 2 X 5

225: 1 X 3

295: 1

365: 1

415: 1

500: 2 X miss I suck and am weak! :blush

Loaded up the bar with 525 on top of the sawhorses and did 2 lockouts with hold

Stripped it to 470 and did DO lockout and hold.

Yesterday:

4 mile hike in the woods with Melissa.

Today:

4 closes with 169.2 lb #3.5 choked to 20mm

2HP on Climber pinch block (2HP on euro is about 10 lbs above this)

105 2X1

140 2X1

175 2X1

185 2X1 (only got air last time - both to full lockout this time)

190 2 X air

Deads off blocks:

Worked up to a miss at 505. Phase one of the plan is now over. I have started into the dark times. I have pulled every other day (sometimes more often) for 2 weeks now. My numbers have leveled off and actually started heading down. Weight that came up easy a few days ago, now feels heavy. Phase 2 is a whole week with no pulling. I have decided not to drive through the dark times, but to not pull for a week to see if I supercompensate. I haven't tried this before, but I thought I would change it up because I really don't want to wreck my CNS this close to Nationals. Next Saturday or Sunday, 490 goes up for a new PR. I have made my best gains pulling every other day for 2 months. When you eventually come out of the dark times and your body is forced to adapt, the numbers shoot up like crazy. I'm hoping this works because feeling like shit for 2 - 3 weeks while you drive through that period is less than fun.

Good stuff Mike! Enjoying the rise in numbers man. You'll do well at Nationals I'm sure.

Thanks Ben!

Today:

Did some key pinch lifts (thumb and forefinger) with the 1" Vbar:

57lbs lefty/ 67 lbs righty. Very disappointed in the left hand number. Typically my left is my stronger pinch hand, but maybe not on the narrow stuff. Work to do. Just didn't feel right. Got decent air with 72lbs righty.

Then pulled 1" V-Bar:

Worked up to 300 lefty and 320 righty for a new comeback PR. Only 14 lbs from my highest official pull and closing in on my 352 not quite 2" pull. Got air with 337 twice, but just couldn't make it do more than hover.

Then did a little barehand reverse bending:

3/4" X 3/16" X 9" HRS smoked to about 55 or 60 degrees. Just easing back into the barehand. Need to toughen the webbing back up so I can retake my first place spot on the DU flatbar barehand list.

Choked 169.2 lb #3.5:

- 3 X 1 right handed

- 3 X 1 misses (all within a cm) left handed

2HP with climber block: (usually ~ 10 better with euro)

Worked up to 1 good lift at 187.5 for a comeback PR and got better air than last time with 190 twice.

FBBC 1" vbar:

Worked up to a good lift with 325 righty for a comeback pr. Hovered 338 twice.

Stopped at 250 lefty because I started to get a hot spot in the vbar danger zone.

Couple plate curls each hand with 25s to hit the thumbs a little differently.

Reverse axle curls for endurance (hoping this will help with the reverse wrist roller in the contest):

40 lbs X 30 reps in 1 minute with super strict but quick form.

Deads from the ground:

135: 2 X 5

225: 1 X 3

295: 1 X 1

365: 1 X 1

415: 1 X 1

490: 1 X 1 PR!

One Hand Deadlift (no hook grip):

225: 1 X 1 each hand

245: 1 X 1 Right hand 1 X left hand miss about knee level.

255: Aborted 1/2 way up righty as my callouses felt like they were coming off.

2HP with Climber block (good for ~ 10lb more on euro):

105: 1 X 3

140: 1 X 1

175: 1 X 1

190: 1 X almost to lockout. Very close.

you best get that 2hp in shape. you still need a 200# lift.

you best get that 2hp in shape. you still need a 200# lift.

I'll pull over 200 lbs. :shifty

Here are my predictions on what I'll do after 3 weeks back into grip:

- 169.2# gripper

- 205# 2HP

- no idea on medley, but my grip endurance is way up from where it was when you and I competed last, but my top end strength is obviously down.

- wrist roller - Not sure because I've never done this, but I think I may surprise some people on this. I was able to do 90 lbs reverse at a good clip for over a minute without getting too tired.

- 450# one hand plateau buster and will lose a ton of skin when my callouses rip off my hand. :whacked

One week of training to go. Thank goodness for muscle memory.

That should be good for last place in the open division. :blush

Horrible workout.

Felt real strong but grippers stunk, block weights stunk, so I got mad and tried to pull 500 from the floor. Got it just below knees. So basically I stink. :angry::laugh

Gonna have those days I guess. Was hoping my 21 7/8" X 5/8" steel from Richard Bean was going to get here today but no luck. After killing my back with deads 2 out of 3 days, we'll see if i go for it later this week or just wait until after Nationals. Next week I plan on chilling and eating like a pig.

On a positive note, I almost got the 500 to the point where it would have gone. About an inch away. It will fall in the next few weeks.

I know one person you'll beat with those numbers. :grin:

I know one person you'll beat with those numbers. :grin:

Well, the way today went, I should downgrade all numbers by 20%. Man!!! :angry: Felt good, but just couldn't make anything work. Guess I'm expecting too much this soon into my comeback. :blush

I'll just say:

160 + gripper

200 2HP

?

?

400 + on the plateau thingy.