Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

Mike, congrats on the 2 PR's! Great volume on that workout, you'll be feeling that for a while

Guest Bullitt

Thanks guys. Actually the stiff legged deads were 235X10. Typo brought on from lack of oxygen. :laugh

Also some good news. I talked to the manager at the big box gym we joined and the bars in the squat racks are 55 lb squat bars. They are slightly thicker than my 45lb bar at home. No wonder everything felt really heavy on my presses yesterday and my DO deads seemed weak on these bars as well. It also means my PR single on the squat is 325, not 315. :D

i know your happy about that. Hey what's the new gym like. Give us the run down anything cool. Powerlifting gym ?

Rico

Guest Bullitt

i know your happy about that. Hey what's the new gym like. Give us the run down anything cool. Powerlifting gym ?

Rico

Exact opposite bro. Wife wanted to give it a try. LA Fitness. Horrible. No chalk, no bands, no chains, one power rack, 2 half squat/press racks. 60% cardio. 30% machines. 10% free weights. Lots of people doing 1/4 squats on smith machines and the usual young bench and curl warriors. But, it has given me access to a squat rack, which i really needed. Plus Mrs. Rinderle is happy, and when she's happy, I'm happy. :D

I used to live in or in front of the squat rack at the YMCA, really its all you need, well it was all I needed. Jen is starting to workout some so it is nice to both be involved with fitness.

Rico

Thanks guys. Actually the stiff legged deads were 235X10. Typo brought on from lack of oxygen. :laugh

Also some good news. I talked to the manager at the big box gym we joined and the bars in the squat racks are 55 lb squat bars. They are slightly thicker than my 45lb bar at home. No wonder everything felt really heavy on my presses yesterday and my DO deads seemed weak on these bars as well. It also means my PR single on the squat is 325, not 315. :D

:rock :rock :rock

Rico

Exact opposite bro. Wife wanted to give it a try. LA Fitness. Horrible. No chalk, no bands, no chains, one power rack, 2 half squat/press racks. 60% cardio. 30% machines. 10% free weights. Lots of people doing 1/4 squats on smith machines and the usual young bench and curl warriors. But, it has given me access to a squat rack, which i really needed. Plus Mrs. Rinderle is happy, and when she's happy, I'm happy. :D

I still can't believe you gave in like this! You gotta show her who's in charge and why! "Speak only when spoken to",etc! :tongue

Bench and overhead pressing tonight:

I realized something at the gym today. The bars they have in the power rack and the squat/overhead partial racks are thicker than normal. I knew they were short, but I guess I never realized they were thicker. They also have the rings in a weird place on the knurling. I guess they weigh 45lbs. The elbow sleeves definitely helped the pain. Not sure if the thickness of the bar messed me up, or I was just extremely weak today, but my numbers were way down.

It does makes me feel better about getting 445 DO to my knees the other day on the DO deads with this bar.

Regular bench warmup:

barX15

95X10

135X5

Put the safety bars about 3-4" above my chest:

225X5

275X1 (big dissapointment. Did 300 for a single and 275 for a triple on a 3 board press. This felt harder than the 275 regular bench single i did the other day)

Strict overhead presses:

95X10

135X5

155X1 (had to do a mini dip with my legs to get this one. Again, way below what i normally do)

Still felt good so i did tricep pushdowns:

80X10

140X10

stack (200)X5

Then lat pull downs (I didn't want to risk trying pullups with my elbow):

80X10

180X10, 10, 10 (reverse grip on the last set)

Could the thicker bar have really messed me up that bad? I mean, I was really off on all my pressing! :(

Do you do your overhead presses standing or seated?And why do you do bench and shoulder stuff in the same day aren't the tri's and front deltoids tired a little bit after bench?And I hate when I have off days like that.

They just built a huge LA fitness and a planet fitness and another girlie gym by within 2 miles of my house in the last 3 years, when I'm done with school I may open a small gym (my own pipe dream) in the shopping center across the street. Oh and the ymca is 4 blocks away too.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bullitt

Thanks Chris. Yea, my testosterone drops 50% whenever I walk in that place. I need an MP3 player. I haven't touched a gripper, axle or done any pinch in weeks. Supporting grip strength still seems good though.

Congrats Mike! :mosher

Now use that power and keep going!

no pause.

I also think it's funny as hell that you always have such a weird combo of plates on the bar when you do anything. good work man.

Nice work, Mike! Congrats. :rock

Guest Bullitt

no pause.

I also think it's funny as hell that you always have such a weird combo of plates on the bar when you do anything. good work man.

Thanks everyone! It's what came with the set Brent. :tongue And you're right, no pause. That's the next goal... along with 3 wheels. :mosher

Good job on the 300 milestone, I remember when I hit 300 my max bench increased by 40 pounds in a 6 month period. You turned that 300 bench into a smoke show.