Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Chris and Manthos! Squats are definitely helping me feel stronger overall and Chris has helped a lot with my bench. Maybe someday i won't be the weakest person on the board. :laugh:help

Weakest my arse!

Don't knock like a guest, walk straight into the door !!

This.

Quite playing nice about it! Just get a good psyche and go for it.

Guest Bullitt

Well, I didn't bench 3 wheels, but I squatted it! :D Well below parallel. Felt good.

Usual warmup.

Squats (Held the bar lower on my shoulders. Shoulder and upper back flexibility getting better. Shoulder dislocations helping. Higher belt position helped too.)

BarX10

95X8

135X5

185X3

225X1

265X1

300X1 DEEP

315X1.9 (PR) Buried the first one 2-3" below parallel. Felt so good I tried for a second rep and didn't quite get parallel.

225X3 deep as I could go, paused at the bottom reps. (didn't want to end with a high rep.

Pull throughs:

50X10

120X10

stack (200)X10

stack (200)X10

The pull throughs really fried my glutes, hips and lower back.

Great Mike, and you said there would be blood and guts. :) squats for me tonight too if I ever get home, visiting the inlaws now.

Rico

Mike, great job on the 3 wheels! You've come a long way in a short time. Keep up the momentum

Guest Bullitt

Thanks guys! Just got into Cincy after a 10 hour drive. These old bones are feeling every one of those 315lbs right now. HAHA. On to 405!!!

And yes Chris a 3 wheel bench!!! :mosher

Edited by Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Manthos!

Couldn't find elbow sleeves at any of the stores around here that fit right, so i bought myself some size medium neoprene knee sleeves and they fit like a charm. Hopefully this will allow me to resume my grip training.

Guest Bullitt

Bench and overhead pressing tonight:

I realized something at the gym today. The bars they have in the power rack and the squat/overhead partial racks are thicker than normal. I knew they were short, but I guess I never realized they were thicker. They also have the rings in a weird place on the knurling. I guess they weigh 45lbs. The elbow sleeves definitely helped the pain. Not sure if the thickness of the bar messed me up, or I was just extremely weak today, but my numbers were way down.

It does makes me feel better about getting 445 DO to my knees the other day on the DO deads with this bar.

Regular bench warmup:

barX15

95X10

135X5

Put the safety bars about 3-4" above my chest:

225X5

275X1 (big dissapointment. Did 300 for a single and 275 for a triple on a 3 board press. This felt harder than the 275 regular bench single i did the other day)

Strict overhead presses:

95X10

135X5

155X1 (had to do a mini dip with my legs to get this one. Again, way below what i normally do)

Still felt good so i did tricep pushdowns:

80X10

140X10

stack (200)X5

Then lat pull downs (I didn't want to risk trying pullups with my elbow):

80X10

180X10, 10, 10 (reverse grip on the last set)

Could the thicker bar have really messed me up that bad? I mean, I was really off on all my pressing! :(

I realized something at the gym today. The bars they have in the power rack and the squat/overhead partial racks are thicker than normal. I knew they were short, but I guess I never realized they were thicker. They also have the rings in a weird place on the knurling. I guess they weigh 45lbs. The elbow sleeves definitely helped the pain. Not sure if the thickness of the bar messed me up, or I was just extremely weak today, but my numbers were way down.

It does makes me feel better about getting 445 DO to my knees the other day on the DO deads with this bar.

Regular bench warmup:

barX15

95X10

135X5

225X5

275X1 (big dissapointment. Did 300 for a single and 275 for a triple on a 3 board press. This felt harder than the 275 regular bench single i did the other day)

Strict overhead presses:

95X10

135X5

155X1 (had to do a mini dip with my legs to get this one. Again, way below what i normally do)

80X10

140X10

stack (200)X5

80X10

Could the thicker bar have really messed me up that bad? I mean, I was really off on all my pressing! :(

Different bars mess me up too bro. Like we talked about, it could weigh a bit more also. You stated that 3-4" felt harder than a 3 board press.... Next time you bench at home, try a 2 board as that will be 3" off the chest rather than the 4.5" you were doing. We might find that your sticking point is around 2.5-3.5"

Nonetheless, good workout and nice to see ya back! Also, you could be favoring that elbow to, nothing wrong with that, ease into it and the gains will come Mike. Besides, we have all the time we need!

Wonder what my Jesup is gonna do to my bench. It's 1-1/4" thick, but from what I hear, they're stiff as heck. Hopefully they cancel each other out. That one I'm using now whips like mad when I'm repping anything over 300.

Regular bench warmup:

barX15

95X10

135X5

225X5

Strict overhead presses:

95X10

135X5

80X10

140X10

stack (200)X5

80X10

Don't worry Mike...what happened to you happens all the time to all of us.

Good thing you didn't let it go and completed your workout. :mosher

Guest Bullitt

Squats and stiff legged deads tonight:

Usual mobility and warmup plus shoulder dislocations.

Squats:

bodyweightX10

barX10

105X8

235X3

295X1

235X10 (PR)

195X15 (PR)

Then rested just long enough to catch my breath and did a set of stiff legged deads: 215X10