Bullitt's Journal

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Ordered the #3 yesterday. Good thoughts from everybody will be needed. If you hear a scream of joy on Monday from the Maryland area, that will be me closing it. Question: I have never used chalk in my gripping. After a close or two, these big paws start to get a bit damp and slippery, which forces me to stabilize with my off hand. Do you guys feel it is a large benefit to use chalk? If so, any recommendations on where to get some inexpensively? Thanks everybody! Wish me luck!

Ordered the #3 yesterday. Good thoughts from everybody will be needed. If you hear a scream of joy on Monday from the Maryland area, that will be me closing it. Question: I have never used chalk in my gripping. After a close or two, these big paws start to get a bit damp and slippery, which forces me to stabilize with my off hand. Do you guys feel it is a large benefit to use chalk? If so, any recommendations on where to get some inexpensively? Thanks everybody! Wish me luck!

Yay! Good luck!

I see a lot of people in videos with chalk in their hand(s). I assume for the reason you are asking for too. So, use it!

Michael

Guest Bullitt

Yesterday:

Did a bunch of different pushup variations and dumbell regular, hammer and reverse curls. Also did some upside down kettlebell holds for time with the 20 lb kettlebells. 3 sets of 20 seconds each hand.

Today. Just got a new bench so even though I had done the pushups yesterday I had to put it together and try it out. :blush

Did two sets of 7 reps with 225. Not far from my goal of pushing 300. Once I get over 10 reps with 225 I'll give her a go. If I hadn't planned on doing a second set, I'm pretty sure i could have done 9 on 1st set which would have been a PR. Definitely happy with the effort, given the fact that I did all those pushups yesterday.

C of C #3 should arrive tomorrow. Send me positive energy. I'll need it.

Yesterday:

Did a bunch of different pushup variations and dumbell regular, hammer and reverse curls. Also did some upside down kettlebell holds for time with the 20 lb kettlebells. 3 sets of 20 seconds each hand.

Today. Just got a new bench so even though I had done the pushups yesterday I had to put it together and try it out. :blush

Did two sets of 7 reps with 225. Not far from my goal of pushing 300. Once I get over 10 reps with 225 I'll give her a go. If I hadn't planned on doing a second set, I'm pretty sure i could have done 9 on 1st set which would have been a PR. Definitely happy with the effort, given the fact that I did all those pushups yesterday.

C of C #3 should arrive tomorrow. Send me positive energy. I'll need it.

Ur close that Bitch tomorrow. I'll put money on it!

Guest Bullitt

Wife called. The #3 arrived today. I will let you all know the result when I get home from work. Is it wrong that I am more excited about my first go at a #3 than I was about closing a big deal at work today? :blush

Wife called. The #3 arrived today. I will let you all know the result when I get home from work. Is it wrong that I am more excited about my first go at a #3 than I was about closing a big deal at work today? :blush

Yay! I wouldn't think so. :)

Michael

Guest Bullitt

YES!!!!

1st attempt at #3, about 5mm away. Regrouped and got even closer on second attempt. Thought I had it. Video showed that it was very close but you couldn't tell if it closed. Third attempt I saw it close and heard it click (so did my 16 year old daughter)!!! The video is awful. I was moving, my wife (videographer) was moving, and the lighting was horrible because i was bent over blocking the light. OOOPS. :blush We broke it down frame by frame (yes I'm obsessed) and it was closed. Horrible video. I will try and get a better shot in the next week to post. This one, unless you look frame by frame, is impossible to tell. Anyway. It got closed. I was so freakin pumped for the third attempt. Such a great feeling. Now I have to work on form (bent over, convulsions do not make for great video) and get a good video for you guys.

After that I did my back workout:

Pullups:

10 sets of 4 reps with bodyweight

Deadlifts (double overhand grip):

10 sets of 4 reps with 205lbs

Bent over rows (alternated 1 set over hand, next set underhand):

10 sets of 4 reps with 150 lbs

I'm toast but happy. :D:D:D

Edited by Bullitt

congrats, you will get more consistent with it, then just send a video to wannagrip for your mm0, the details are in the mash monster sub forum

Guest Bullitt

Thanks guys. definitely have to work on form and consistency before I even think about sending something in for an MM0 cert. Now I know that there is a #3 cert in my future though. Was not very confident all day today. I had never seen a #3, much less tried to close one. I told Hammy today I just hoped I would get it past parallel. lol After 1st attempt, I knew it was going down. Still so freaking happy I can't stand it. Celebrating with a big strip steak and sweet potato as we speak. :D

Guest Bullitt

Gave 275 a couple goes on the bench. Almost locked out first attempt. It will go down next time.

After that I did overhead barbell presses:

10 sets of 5 reps with 135lbs. These really taxed me today. Probably because of the two max attempts on bench. My left shoulder was a little tight, but it made it through.

Was going to do some lateral raises, but my shoulders were too fried. Decided to save those for another day.

No grip work today as the hands were a little beat from the gripping and back work yesterday.

Guest Bullitt

grip work today:

Warmed up both hands on HG200

Right hand:

3X1 partials on #3. Couldn't get it closed this time around. I guess the adrenaline pump from your first ever attempt can't be discounted. :blush

2X4 with #2.5 This feels much lighter after the #3. lol

Left hand:

7,7,7,4,3 with HG250

Guest Bullitt

Did some penny holds for time this afternoon with the HG200.

Here were my best times:

Righty: 42 seconds

Lefty: 41 seconds.

First time I ever tried those. Quite painful when you let go. Also learned that you just have to squeeze as hard as you can the whole time. There is no just hard enough. If you let up at all, the damn thing falls. lol

hahaha Very nice. Look at my youtube and you can see the penny fall, but I caught it just in time. :)

Michael

Guest Bullitt

OK, that was so much fun I had to try it with the HG250.

27 seconds right hand.

Thought about trying it with 2.5, but it's a big jump from my 250 to the 2.5 and the grip is a bit beat right now. We'll save that for another day when i'm bored here at the office. Plus my boss walked by the window to my office while I was in mid hold and gave me a look like I was nuts. :blush

OK, that was so much fun I had to try it with the HG250.

27 seconds right hand.

Thought about trying it with 2.5, but it's a big jump from my 250 to the 2.5 and the grip is a bit beat right now. We'll save that for another day when i'm bored here at the office. Plus my boss walked by the window to my office while I was in mid hold and gave me a look like I was nuts. :blush

Thats well justified. You are nuts

Guest Bullitt

Did a bunch of singles on the 2.5. Working on setting the gripper. I have always done no set closes but they are starting to tear up my fingers. Lots of skin tearing on ring and pinky during the first 1/2 of the sweep. Still not real good on setting, but it certainly makes the close easier. Almost got my 2.5 closed with left hand today using a moderate set. Will have to keep working on this. Also need to get some chalk. I have never used it, but the gripper starts squirming near the close and I think chalk would help help remedy this.

After that, I did a bunch of inverted closes with HG 200. Tonight is my leg workout. I have taken the last couple days off as I was feeling a bit overtrained. Back on the horse tonight.

Guest Bullitt

Last night did chest and arms:

Bench

Close grip bench

kettlebell flies

barbell curls

hammer curls

reverse curls with towel wrapped around bar

Today:

Deadlifts:

10 sets X 5 reps with 205lbs. dual OH grip

Romanian deads:

1 set X 8 reps with 135lbs.

Farmer carries:

Did these holding a 45 in each hand.

150 yds. flat surface

100 yds. up hill

100 yds. down hill

150 yds. flat surface

Guest Bullitt

Worked on singles with 2.5 this morning. mainly just working on setting the gripper. Again, I have never set the gripper and have always used full sweep closes. Doing that has torn up my fingers and kept me from closing anything with good form. I still haven't used chalk yet. That's next. To make up for it, I have always stabilized with 2 fingers from my off hand on the spring once my hand gets sweaty. Getting away from that as I have to get ready for my certification on #3 later this year. Actually setting the gripper (cc set) has helped immensely. It gets easier the more I practice. I asked before, but does chalk help you guys a lot?

Anyway...

Righty:

6 solid closes (cc set, no off hand stabilization) on CofC 2.5 (overcrushed for a couple seconds on each one). On 3rd close I did the penny hold and got a measly 3 seconds. Wish I had tried it on my first two as I was fresher. Oh well, first successful penny hold with my 2.5!

Some inverted closes with HG250

Lefty:

Several very close attempts (all under a cm, some within a mm or 2) with CofC 2.5. Still haven't touched the handles lefty with the 2.5 but it will be soon.

Couple of sets of 5 with HG250

Some inverted singles with HG250.

Guest Bullitt

Thought I would try the penny hold on 2.5 while I was fresh. Got 12 seconds on first attempt. Hit the new PR of 18 seconds on second attempt. Wow, those freakin hurt!

Guest Bullitt

My grip was fried from all the overcrushes and penny holds yesterday, but I thought I would try an MMS close on the #3 today. Gave three strong attempts, given how sore and tired my hands were. All inside a cm. Closest almost touched but no cigar. I am going to rest up the grip tomorrw and go for a video close on the #3 for my MM0 cert on Thursday. Wish me luck. If I was fresh, I'm pretty sure it would have gone down today.

After the #3 attempts I was even more fried, but I hate to quit on a miss so I did a ccs close on the #2.5 with no problem and almost got a second rep in (~1mm away).

Also worked the 2.5 with the left hand. So close to closing it with a ccs. Gave 5 attempts. All fell just short of touching. Soon i think.

I am starting to get the hang of setting the gripper. As discussed in earlier posts, I have always done no set closes. I will continue practicing my setting, because right now, I burn too much effort just getting it into position. I also need to get some chalk. I still get that little bit of slippage right at the end using no chalk.

Anyway, the #3 goes down on video Thursday!

Good luck. I'm sure after some rest you will smash it!

I wonder how much a good set would help me. I could probably kill the #2 if I did that. I'm after the MM0 cert too. I figure within 4 months or so. hopefully anyways..

Good luck and post that closed #3 video asap.

Michael

Guest Bullitt
I wonder how much a good set would help me. I could probably kill the #2 if I did that. I'm after the MM0 cert too. I figure within 4 months or so. hopefully anyways..

Michael

I've been racking my brain wondering how you would get a good set. Did you try the PVC trick they suggested? Even without a set, I have confidence the #2 will go down for you. You looked very solid on the 1.5.