Narrow Pinching

meelhama

If you take the time to study the results from Isometric training from the past - you will find that isometric work strengthens you in a fairly narrow range on both sides of the position worked. Therefore - as pinch work for grip is almost always isometric in nature - all widths should be trained.

Chris what are some good/reputable sources to learn more about isometrics? I'm specifically interested in it for grippers and strengthening my lock for AW.

Josh - start with SuperTraining - page 222. There is also some stuff done out of the York boys way back when as well. I'll find some stuff for you if you give me a little time. The thing that made me start studying it is the fact that most grip stuff is isometric (without movement at least) in nature. I'm thinking eccentric overloads at the moment as I start my training for Chads contest - gonna take some thought on how to implement it - we'll see.

And yes I do read too much :blush

Does it matter which edition? The one on Elite is about 110 bucks cheaper than the one on Amazon and I don't see the second author listed on the one on the Elite site. Is that the right edition?

The ones sold by EliteFTS are the most recent edition. Most of the people selling it on Amazon are just trying to rip you off.

If you want to train isometrics like the old York boys, don't forget the d-bol.

If you take the time to study the results from Isometric training from the past - you will find that isometric work strengthens you in a fairly narrow range on both sides of the position worked. Therefore - as pinch work for grip is almost always isometric in nature - all widths should be trained.

Chris what are some good/reputable sources to learn more about isometrics? I'm specifically interested in it for grippers and strengthening my lock for AW.

Josh - start with SuperTraining - page 222. There is also some stuff done out of the York boys way back when as well. I'll find some stuff for you if you give me a little time. The thing that made me start studying it is the fact that most grip stuff is isometric (without movement at least) in nature. I'm thinking eccentric overloads at the moment as I start my training for Chads contest - gonna take some thought on how to implement it - we'll see.

And yes I do read too much :blush

Does it matter which edition? The one on Elite is about 110 bucks cheaper than the one on Amazon and I don't see the second author listed on the one on the Elite site. Is that the right edition?

Josh - Mine is the fifth edition and I've had it a while - I'm sure it's in most edition, perhaps updated , perhaps not.

Isometrics and D-bol were an interesting storyline coming out of York way back when - and while isos weren't the reason for the York boys amazing growth - I think they still have a place in training.

I have the sixth edition and there are still some pages about isometrics, starting from page 222. You can get it for a little less from the official site which, from what I've heard, is run directly by is family or something like that, but I'm not sure.

Facts and fallacies of fitness is a pretty good read too.

This is where i am strong. My wide pinch sucks in comparison, but my close pinch and my side pinch is getting better all the time. Be careful as Chris Rice wisely pointed out- just like with wide pinching, the very close pinching has a risk of injury when you get started

• 10 years later...
On 3/10/2009 at 4:40 AM, meelhama said:

Tell me about it! I just tried pinching with a 1/2'' plasitc block and I could only lift 17.5 lbs. + loading pin.

Best pinch on a 6mm (0,23inches) was 45lbs.

One thing I’ve noticed is the grip it gives you days afterwards!

Crazy

On 3/10/2009 at 1:24 AM, luuc said:

When it gets heavy, my joints start feeling strange because of the pressure when fully extended.

Herefor I prefere thick pinch blocks.

Me too. I feel it mostly in my left thumb which was hurt in a motorcycle accident.