Documentary On Grip

The Natural

The royalty free music I've found online is much cheaper than 500. 100 bucks for 10 or so songs.

By the way, does anyone already own some royalty free music they'd be willing to share?

That would be an easy way to cut costs.

-Rex

Rex, I think thats a sick idea just make sure cutting corners for cost that it doesnt take from it. Yo we could do a fund raiser or some other way to get money for it? Money is an issue but if this video could be the face of the sport then make it best it can be. Plus the history should be told to the fulliest. Maybe an idea the video should show the idea that Grippers and benders are blue collar men doing this on the side and how they are Champions of the Garage. I've done alot of doc's with skating and film I could help you out if you need it?

Rex, I think thats a sick idea just make sure cutting corners for cost that it doesnt take from it. Yo we could do a fund raiser or some other way to get money for it? Money is an issue but if this video could be the face of the sport then make it best it can be. Plus the history should be told to the fulliest. Maybe an idea the video should show the idea that Grippers and benders are blue collar men doing this on the side and how they are Champions of the Garage. I've done alot of doc's with skating and film I could help you out if you need it?

Yeah, I'm talking to Eddy right now and he's really insisting on me not cutting the voice over or script.

This does represent grip, so I don't want to half-ass it and make the sport look bad.

-Rex

the blue collar garage champion is a great idea!!maybe the next few grip contests can put forth some donations for the film??I'm a super blue collar guy. Cant wait till this is done I'm going to buy a copy if yo sell'em!

the blue collar garage champion is a great idea!!maybe the next few grip contests can put forth some donations for the film??I'm a super blue collar guy. Cant wait till this is done I'm going to buy a copy if yo sell'em!

Normally, the entry fee's for grip comps barely, if at all, cover the expenses of the comp. We'd be better off doing a fund raiser of some other sort.

Normally, the entry fee's for grip comps barely, if at all, cover the expenses of the comp. We'd be better off doing a fund raiser of some other sort.

Yeah I wasn't sure about that still relatively new to the whole"pro"grip comps! Maybe a big dinner or something I dunno I have some hokie ideas!Haha.Sponsorship maybe?I would just like to see it happen when i get into stuff I'm into it!!!!! ya know.Ever seen the DOC. choke with Rickson Gracie ? That would be a decent format for it.I'm sure you guys have You'r format how you want it so not trying to tell you how to do it!Hell I've not even been to a grip comp!was invited to one down in socal by lonewolf who is planning on hosting one!

Rex, I think thats a sick idea just make sure cutting corners for cost that it doesnt take from it. Yo we could do a fund raiser or some other way to get money for it? Money is an issue but if this video could be the face of the sport then make it best it can be. Plus the history should be told to the fullest. Maybe an idea the video should show the idea that Grippers and benders are blue collar men doing this on the side and how they are Champions of the Garage. I've done alot of doc's with skating and film I could help you out if you need it?

Yeah, I'm talking to Eddy right now and he's really insisting on me not cutting the voice over or script.

This does represent grip, so I don't want to half-ass it and make the sport look bad.

-Rex

Rex: How much prep work in advance would help? I'm thinking the script esp. Voice over... your earlier idea of using a name from our sport holds some merit in saving $5k. The editing, while appearing a great deal of cash has, on reflection the biggest possibility of making it look as slick as shit.

That said how essential is the visit in part one? It's not a major cost ($1500?? or so) but much of history is context. So I'm thinking old film and clips a la History Channel and the like. This is where the voice over does their work. Getting the script right here is major.

Fortes: I know I'm blue (ish) collar. esp my background. The surroundings for my training are barely above garage. But again a few short clips, even showing stuff as is on youtube (the voice saying 'with the creation of youtube garage dwellers were able to show their feats of strength to the world' or similar). As before, and of course all subject to the flow and feel of the whole thing, as much can be shown in a few seconds (hinted at if you like) as spending minutes on. For example I've been sending Rex some clips today and yesterday. So far a few minutes 2 hand pinch, a little RT work and me leg pressing. Now as clips go they are probably 30 mins in total. If any parts get used I'd expect what has been shown to be edited down to 2 minutes max.

Let's say they use the leg press portion (to show we aren't just hand strong but hard training too). What took me 30 mins in the gym could be edited to a few reps warming up, loading the machine, loading more weight and loading it until it looks like it will break. A few seconds of some huge pile of weights and a final few seconds of the expression on my face as I grind out the last rep. The 2HP literally might form part of a montage of my doing the training for the events in Chads competition.

The blue collar portion might show any one GB member training outside in their yard, kids running around and so on. That they work for IBM might not be included. Editing is the key. If I send the B&W photos I have from last years Peter Horne event you've got the few grip freaks, inc David Horne, all lifting like nutters in his garden. There's me pulling 350+ lbs on a 1" V-bar with David's shed behind. A sequence of clips, each a few seconds long, say 10 in total, could how GB members from around the world (in fact Rex that might be a good one) with a county named under each clip (Germany, France, Australia and so on - 'and grip, with the help of the internet, spread around the world') all train equally hard.

Edited by mobsterone

• 11 months later...

yea i forgot about this, dont for get rex has school to do too.

rico

yea i forgot about this, dont for get rex has school to do too.

rico

Though I appreciate Rico coming to my defense, the truth is, it's not a time limitation so much as a financial limitation. I invested about 500 bucks into getting some broadcast quality footage of the competition, as well as some interviews of the better competitors after the competition, but I don't at present have the money to develop the film into a DVD or show. Believe it or not the editing is where the real cost is. Eddy has the footage still, but right now it's not doing anything but sitting there. I'd be more than willing to sell the footage for cheap to anyone or any company well-heeled enough to put together something about grip. There are a lot of shows popping up now that cover extreme subcultures, so the niche is there. The documentary on Stanless Steel is doing well, and I don't see why something on grip sports would not do well either. It was such a watershed competition with a great energy and stacked talent, so I figured it was worth getting it all recorded, instead of regretting wasting the opportunity.

Edited by The Natural

Bill Piche would be a good source for an audio interview, and expert voice over on how the grip world has grown through the gripboard in general, and specifically, from Captain of Crush, Mash Monster and Warren Tetting's grippers/equipment to comments about the grip work/contests done regularly.

I can't wait to see this one upon completion.

• 4 months later...

Rex

Have you done any thing lately with this project, any new ideas? or updates?

Parris

• 5 years later...

Just found this thread...

What ever happened to Rex?

Anyone know or remember?

Rich