Documentary On Grip

The Natural

Not a single video or image has been sent to gripvids@gmail.com

I need your help on this project guys. We're going to film for material, but having some historical material would be nice too.

-Rex

Rex - if there is anything out there of mine that interests you - you're welcome to it. I don't know how to post it, send it, or do anything else with pictures or video but if it helps in any way - have at it.

The working idea right now is to focus on the match-up between Steve and Chad at Chad's competition. It would sort of be a grip version of Pumping Iron. From that angle, we would try to add in bits about the history of the sport and how fast it's developing.

I've asked Richard Sorin about a possible interview. He has not given me a definite confirmation on that, but if we were to interview him, we'd have him talk about his CoC accomplishment, and talk about the very fast recent developments of the sport. I wanted to have footage of Rich & Tex in there, doing great feats. Richard could use them as examples of the new talent entering the sport. This would build some suspense since the audience would wish to know how the New Talent does at Chad's competition (seasoned competitors versus new phenoms, that kind of approach). Unfortunately they are no longer signed up to compete. Tex's health problems are also a concern right now; not sure whether he is fit to compete in anything.

I still need to ask Steve about whether he'd be up for something like this. If so, we'd need to get footage of him training, and we'd need to do an interview with him, etc.

The historical footage would serve the purpose of demonstrating just how far the sport has come. E.g. Suppose we were interviewing someone, and we asked about the Red Nail bend. We would show a video of some famous historical Red Nail bend (one of the first ever done), have the interviewee comment on how big a deal it was at the time, etc. Then we'd have Chad bending a Red Nail like a coat hanger. You get the idea. Chad, Steve, etc. would represent the cutting edge, and the development of the sport would be proven in showing how routine it is for these guys to do what was once considered world-class.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

The working idea right now is to focus on the match-up between Steve and Chad at Chad's competition. It would sort of be a grip version of Pumping Iron. From that angle, we would try to add in bits about the history of the sport and how fast it's developing.

I've asked Richard Sorin about a possible interview. He has not given me a definite confirmation on that, but if we were to interview him, we'd have him talk about his CoC accomplishment, and talk about the very fast recent developments of the sport. I wanted to have footage of Rich & Tex in there, doing great feats. Richard could use them as examples of the new talent entering the sport. This would build some suspense since the audience would wish to know how the New Talent does at Chad's competition (seasoned competitors versus new phenoms, that kind of approach). Unfortunately they are no longer signed up to compete. Tex's health problems are also a concern right now; not sure whether he is fit to compete in anything.

I still need to ask Steve about whether he'd be up for something like this. If so, we'd need to get footage of him training, and we'd need to do an interview with him, etc.

The historical footage would serve the purpose of demonstrating just how far the sport has come. E.g. Suppose we were interviewing someone, and we asked about the Red Nail bend. We would show a video of some famous historical Red Nail bend (one of the first ever done), have the interviewee comment on how big a deal it was at the time, etc. Then we'd have Chad bending a Red Nail like a coat hanger. You get the idea. Chad, Steve, etc. would represent the cutting edge, and the development of the sport would be proven in showing how routine it is for these guys to do what was once considered world-class.

-Rex

Pat bent the 1st red nail on video its here on the gboard..

Not to piss on your bonfire REX as i think your a man thats gonna do it right and put both traditional and new stuff in,but good luck with the traditional side of bending maybe pat and dennis will help out there as for the gboard forget it look at the fiasco it creates when you mention the word traditional bending :D

I'd just show the different styles and add something like 'like any sport we have arguments over which way is better'.

One thing I would suggest- Get lots of footage of all the guys at the contest. Chad and Steve are definite favorites, but Jedd, Paul, and Thorton could easily get top 2. A pumping iron style thing would be neat in a focus on one contest, and many of the best guys could talk intelligently on the history. Hell, a narrator going over some of the info from phone interviews vs. just an interview might work out better.

Hope it happens.

Re Twig's comment on audio equipment, I have a digital dictaphone (olympus DS 40) with a mic if he so wishes...

Not to piss on your bonfire REX as i think your a man thats gonna do it right and put both traditional and new stuff in,but good luck with the traditional side of bending maybe pat and dennis will help out there as for the gboard forget it look at the fiasco it creates when you mention the word traditional bending :D

Yea apparently in order to bend "traditionally" you have to do everything exactly the same as everyone else but be named either Dennis or Pat.

Not a single video or image has been sent to gripvids@gmail.com

I need your help on this project guys. We're going to film for material, but having some historical material would be nice too.

-Rex

Sandow sold a workout dumbell that was a crude gripper. It was like a dumbell cut long ways with springs in between. I heard that old Ice men use to have grip contests. Apparently it takes one hell of a grip to hall blocks of ice around with steel tongs.

I've been in communication with Steve Gardener about the documentary I'm making about grip. It's going to focus on the Chad contest in June. We need footage of Steve traning, and we need some footage of an interview with Steve about his training for the competition, etc. I spoke to my friend Eddy Anderson a moment ago about this, and what we need from overseas is this:

Footage of Steve training/footage of interview

NTSC Widescreen, not PAL format. PAL format is used all over Europe, but we don't want to use that. We need NTSC.

The footage does not need to be extremely high quality, but it does need to be smooth, not jerky, not dark, etc.

I'm not sure how to get David Horne involved in this, but having him in the documentary, or conducting the interview, or whatever, would be great.

The files would need to be stored in either mp3, wave, or Aii (Apple) format. Eddy would like to talk with whomever is doing the recording, etc. at some point, just to make sure everything is going to be compatible with his equipment.

The budget for this is pretty limited, and so having some folks who are willing to film Steve training/being interviewed free of charge would be great.

Eddy and I discussed creating a 30 and 60 second promo within the next 6 weeks that would be spead all over the Internet to hype up the grip contest as well as the documentary. Having said that, a certain amount of bravado from Steve, a certain amount of British pride, would be welcome, at least for part of the documentary. It would help us create a good promo.

busy right now, but will write more later

-Rex

I can, as per the post elsewhere, playback in NSTC on my Fuji Finepix S5600 digital camera but not in wide-screen.

Steve

I have a video camera that records in both NTSC and PAL your welcome to borrow it if you need to its not the best quality wise but would easilly beat your Fuji camera.,

Will send it over if you want.

No grip documentary would be complete without mention

of Warren Tetting. I can't believe no has mentioned him.

Warren is huge to grip!

There's a GB member (Matt Cannon, I believe) that lives near him that could (if willing)

could get an audio/video interview.

Warren is quite a histrorian himself.

Mighty Joe

It does sound good.

You could do worse than ask David to look at the script - having written much on the subject I'm sure that he could offer very useful suggestions as to how to put things together, especially the historical information. And Joe Roark would be my default go-to fact checker for any historical stuff, depending on the level of detail you wished to go into.

Are you saying you'd believe something without actually being there?

You've changed positions.

Mighty Joe

I don't see that at all. He says David could run some stuff and if need be any info included would be checked by Joe. Ergo IT'D BE CHECKED. So where does the 'you'd believe something without actually being there' come from. And WARREN WAS MENTIONED PAGES AGO. I can't believe you missed it. This thread is not for old comments to be dug up and pissed on. I KNOW you're as keen as any to see this idea come to fruition so let it go.

Gazza - please do. That would be a great help. I've done some work on my own this morning and will forward a sample to Rex for his perusal. The main issue is I mostly train on my own so it was all tripod work and faffing around on my own today.

Rex: MP3?? I think you mean MP4. 3 is the default music file 4 the video.

Gazza & Steve

My friend Eddy also mentioned something about being able to shoot in "letter box mode". Can you guys do that? Gazza, is your camera capable of that?

Mighty Joe

Eddy & I realized that unless we focus on a specific topic (in this case, Chad's competition), we run the risk of creating a documentary that is aimless. Focusing on a certain topic means that some important people, including Mr.Tetting, will not get interviewed. That's jus the way it is. The documentary won't last more than one hour. We have to be selective.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Mine doesn't.

Gazza - cheers.

MJ: get yer butt down to Warren and do something for the GB anyway. 15 mins would be sweet.

Edited by mobsterone

I don't see that at all. He says David could run some stuff and if need be any info included would be checked by Joe. Ergo IT'D BE CHECKED. So where does the 'you'd believe something without actually being there' come from. And WARREN WAS MENTIONED PAGES AGO. I can't believe you missed it. This thread is not for old comments to be dug up and pissed on. I KNOW you're as keen as any to see this idea come to fruition so let it go.

Gazza - please do. That would be a great help. I've done some work on my own this morning and will forward a sample to Rex for his perusal. The main issue is I mostly train on my own so it was all tripod work and faffing around on my own today.

Mobster, I'll PM you.

Mighty Joe

Gazza & Steve

My friend Eddy also mentioned something about being able to shoot in "letter box mode". Can you guys do that? Gazza, is your camera capable of that?

Mighty Joe

Eddy & I realized that unless we focus on a specific topic (in this case, Chad's competition), we run the risk of creating a documentary that is aimless. Focusing on a certain topic means that some important people, including Mr.Tetting, will not get interviewed. That's jus the way it is. The documentary won't last more than one hour. We have to be selective.

-Rex

Understood.

Thanks Rex!

Mighty Joe

Mine doesn't.

Gazza - cheers.

MJ: get yer butt down to Warren and do something for the GB anyway. 15 mins would be sweet.

I'll see what I can do Steve.

I'll talk to Warren about it this weekend.

Mighty Joe

Mobster, I'll PM you.

Mighty Joe

Replied.

cool project guys.

Let me know if there is anything i can do.

It does sound good.

You could do worse than ask David to look at the script - having written much on the subject I'm sure that he could offer very useful suggestions as to how to put things together, especially the historical information. And Joe Roark would be my default go-to fact checker for any historical stuff, depending on the level of detail you wished to go into.

Mighty Joe

Joe,

It's fun having you chase me around the board - it makes me feel quite feted.

Chris

As per my PM to MJ. Leave it out. Focus on being a part of the project and seeing the word spread far and wide. Not petty sniping.

It does sound good.

Mighty Joe

Joe,

It's fun having you chase me around the board - it makes me feel quite feted.

Chris

This is what I was talking about Steve.

Mighty Joe