Who Will Be The First To Ccs The Number 4

jsmiley

Steve has that book an the kinney #4 does look to be unusually high mounted, but i dont think the close is in any way shady. Regardless of how hard the gripper is, it's very impressive how he grinds it, and his video is something i recommend.

Could someone point me in the direction of Kinneys vid? I've been looking for a while but it's like searching for a needle in a haystack! Cheers

Can some some post it on youtube.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mightyjoe

• lloyd80s

• Bob Lipinski

• Pancake Sprawl

Steve has that book an the kinney #4 does look to be unusually high mounted, but i dont think the close is in any way shady. Regardless of how hard the gripper is, it's very impressive how he grinds it, and his video is something i recommend.

Could someone point me in the direction of Kinneys vid? I've been looking for a while but it's like searching for a needle in a haystack! Cheers

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's available anymore.

I can find out. Give me a few days.

Mighty Joe

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's available anymore.

I can find out. Give me a few days.

Mighty Joe

My apologies, I found this thread:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=4457

Although this might be outdated?

Something to keep in mind about Kinney's high mounted #4 is that it was probably wider than most #4's. I have an adjustable gripper the shallower the mount the wider the spread becomes.

I'm pretty sure they stopped selling the Kinney video. And no one will ever post it on youtube.

Something to keep in mind about Kinney's high mounted #4 is that it was probably wider than most #4's. I have an adjustable gripper the shallower the mount the wider the spread becomes.

I own a No.4 similar to the mounting on Kinney's ~ Single-Stamped of course ~ I would sell it if there were a GR8 No.4 like it in terms of difficulty.

As far as an average #4 tns being impossible, thats just not true, it's not even close. With my left hand, which has been my focus because it was always weaker, ive gone from a couple reps on the trainer to hard 3.5 for multiple singles, in 3 years. This is not tns but that is not the point of it, point is if a normal everyday guy like me can go from a trainer to 3.75 (or whatever) in 3 years, what happens when rich williams puts the same amount of focus/effort i have into it for 20 years? think about it, he has credit card certed the 3.5 within a couple weeks of touching a gripper! if he improved the same as me a #4 for him would literally be like a #1 is for me now. An this is not some freak accident thing, anybody can improve like that, the genetic freaks like rich certainly can! probably can improve much more.

For the everyday, you, me an joe blogs guys, a #4 tns is still not impossible, but dont get me wrong, it's very hard. However before you say 'no human can do it' you have to consider that a mark henry or a rich williams may as well not be human when compared to the average guy, for rich certing on the #4 is now like it is for most guys going from a #1 to a #2.

Paul Savage

this is EXACTLY what i mean!

i can only speak for myself, but i never thought i'd close a #1 when i first started because it says most people who lift weights and go to gym regularly can't do it and at the time i wasn't lifting any weights, but i progressed very quickly some how to no set closing with my left and TNS with my right hand a #3 within a matter of MONTHS. and like Paul here says, i'm just a normal guy, not spectacularly powerful like these others i see, even a lot of guys on the grip board are WAY stronger than i am, and if i can progress this quickly that high, i can only imagine ...with enough time and enough dedication guys like Tex, Rich Williams, and all these absolute animals on the gripboard have a HUGE chance at TNS and CCS a #4.

for the guys who don't think it's possible ...please don't sell yourself short! believe it can be done, believe YOU can do it because you never know, its never over until the end, so give it everything!

for the guys who don't think it's possible ...please don't sell yourself short! believe it can be done, believe YOU can do it because you never know, its never over until the end, so give it everything!

I'm not saying it is impossible, impossible is a big word. You have to have a little bit of perspective though. An 850 raw bench press, is that impossible? A sub 8.5 second 100 yard dash? A 650 clean and jerk?

I would say those feats would compare to a TNS cert on a typical #4. Not impossible, but you gotta have a little perspective.

I'm not saying it is impossible, impossible is a big word. You have to have a little bit of perspective though. An 850 raw bench press, is that impossible? A sub 8.5 second 100 yard dash? A 650 clean and jerk?

I would say those feats would compare to a TNS cert on a typical #4. Not impossible, but you gotta have a little perspective.

Well said ;)

but see, to me those things have never "almost" happened, and those things have been around a very long time. i don't know how long the #4 has been around but it can't be nearly as long as any of those things. imo, this thing here can happen. what you and the others say about an 850lb raw bench press, and 650lb clean and jerk ...these kinds of things i equate to closing the "beast" gripper. it can't be done, these things can't even be done by a gorilla.

i respect you and the others point of view though, i really do, because like you and the others i don't know if it can "really" happen ...but nobody broke any records or set any world class lifts by thinking it can't be done lol, i'm not saying i will be the one, but i'm sure as heck gonna try lol that's why if one of you guys are the "guy" that's gonna do it or be one of the people who do it, you should keep your opinion, which is very logical, BUT don't give up on trying to do the "impossible".

I think my topic "How many grippsters are there?" fits in nicely with this debate. There are hundreds of millions of people in the world who may have extraordinary potential but don't even know what a gripper is. This is why I like to remain open and I agree with pancake when he says not to give up on the "impossible". After all, all we can do is try our very best right? And also, just to clear up a few things ;)

1. I would be VERY surprised if the beast gripper proved closable. And by that I mean in any way possible. If the spring actually does leave just enough room for the handles to move properly, you still have to look at how it is made. The spring is almost as fat as the handles. I would imagine the spring steel that tetting uses is MUCH stronger than aluminum. The handles would either snap - or if it did close, it would be because the handles would bend together. I really don't consider the T13 and T14 to be grippers at all because I do not believe they were designed to be closed or even moved. Who has managed to move either one more than 1mm in a chest crush? Exactly. Much the same as how you wouldn't play hockey with that giant puck that's the size of a coffee table.

2. No man will ever compete with the apes. A gorilla is easily 15 times the strength of a man, possibly 20 but they don't know as it has never been measured. They have been observed casually bending 2 inch thick steel bars and using very little effort. Even chimps are 5 times a man's strength and when they attack they are still powerful enough to hurl people across the room.

Gorilla Hand

Edited by Grippster

I think John Wood could give it a run. Laine Snook and Dave Brown come to mind as possibles as well.

Is John still training grip seriously? Hi John! ;) I am sure he visits here under another login. :)

When ironmind came up with a #3 gripper, has there already been an #4 gripper?

If not I guess they didn't expect anyone to close a #3 for a long period of time. Now that many more people train grip, I think we are at the same point of thinking. As many people have already closed a #4 there is more to come in the future. In my opinion the #4 isn't the end of the line.

When IronMind made the #3, the #4 came along sort of as a "joke", kinda like - 'who can close this, if anyone?'.

Then Kinney came along and not only closed it - he DESTROYED it. It was like something out a Jules Verne novel. And back then it would be kinda like benching 1,500 pounds raw... something completely unheard of! Can you believe that was over 10 years ago? Back then, if you closed the #3 and certed that was phenomenal.

When IronMind made the #3, the #4 came along sort of as a "joke", kinda like - 'who can close this, if anyone?'.

Then Kinney came along and not only closed it - he DESTROYED it. It was like something out a Jules Verne novel. And back then it would be kinda like benching 1,500 pounds raw... something completely unheard of! Can you believe that was over 10 years ago? Back then, if you closed the #3 and certed that was phenomenal.

Yeah, but the #3's in those days would of made GR8 #3's look like #2.5. I've tried 2 from that era, they both felt well above an average #3.

If not I guess they didn't expect anyone to close a #3 for a long period of time. Now that many more people train grip, I think we are at the same point of thinking. As many people have already closed a #4 there is more to come in the future. In my opinion the #4 isn't the end of the line.

I'm not for sure if the #4 was already in the making or not,

but Warren made a chrome gripper that had the same spring as

a Grand Elite and the #4 CoC back in the early 90's.

Around the year 2000, maybe 1999 I donated the gripper to

Dr. Terry Todd for his Strength Museum in Austin, Texas. Terry

wrote me a letter and said he couldn't close it with both hands.

For those that don't know, Terry Todd was a "strength freak"

in his day. Super grip guy!

I contacted Todd's office Friday to see if he had some pics of

Mac Batchler's feats and I was told there's numerous pics of

various feats including a horse on his back (weight not mentioned),

and this was just from memory of the attendant, not Todd himself.

I was also told there's hundreds of newspaper articles out there

if you can find them with stories and pics.

I should hear from Todd soon.

I can't wait to get my hands on these pics if you know what I mean.

I feel a "Mac" attack coming on. :D

Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe

Can you get that gripper back and take some pics of it? :D

Mighty Joe

Can you get that gripper back and take some pics of it? :D

It's in his museum. I wouldn't ask for it back. That wouldn't

be right in my opinion.

I'll see if he can take a few pics and e-mail them to me.

I would be happy to post the pic(s).

I'll surely let you know.

Mighty Joe

This thread is dozer.

What exactly do you mean?

Mighty Joe

Yeah, but the #3's in those days would of made GR8 #3's look like #2.5. I've tried 2 from that era, they both felt well above an average #3.

why do they make them weaker now?

why do they make them weaker now?

I don't think they were purposely made weak. Up until 2002, CoC were hand made with slightly lower mounts and larger spreads ~ I also may suspect that the springs they used were less Malleable.

That's what I thought.

Mighty Joe

Back several years ago, the grippers varied alot - not so much today because now (supposedly) they are all benchmarked i.e. they should "mirror" each other strength-wise. There is a lot of debate whether or not they do just that. It's my opinion that they are closer together in strength now than when they shaded all over the damn place (you had #3's that felt like #2's, etc.)