• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mightyjoe

• lloyd80s

• Bob Lipinski

• Pancake Sprawl

I think I've seen a video of Dave doing reps with a #4. Anyone have that link?

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?&au...si&img=2413

Jeez ........ I have'nt seen that one - was that way after his MM6 cert?

He ripped off 4 reps with that black handled RB330 that Chad closed and you barely missed at BBB, and he looked good for more, if that gives you any indication

Who else here is calibrating grippers besides Chad and Chris Rice? Also, Chris... how exactly do you calibrate the grippers (if you don't mind me asking). I might just send some grippers out your way for you to calibrate for me if you'd like! :D

A lot went on at the Arnolds classic ..I sure you will hear about it.... At several meals we sat and talked about what to do in relation to "grip" both Rich and Mark Henry chimed in vowing to get in the mix with a concentrated effort to establish some new world standards of merit. Mark , the strongest natural grip guy I have EVER seen said he plans on training to break a "record a month" in grip. He plans to visit and train with us. I feel the CCS #4 will be addressed soon enough by both Rich and Mark . But ,I will leave it to them to separate "sayin' from doin'"in that respect. I thought the Arnolds hosting the worlds largest grip challenge(GNC Ggrip Gauntlet) was a fitting world wide stage to showcase just "what is possible" with Rich , Tex and Brian Shaws performances.RS

I know it is small $$$ for Mark Henry...get the word to him...I would like to go against him at my comp. I am sure that he might be interested in a chance to collect $1000. Hopefully Big Rich and Tex once healthy will come out and compete...and maybe Wade too.

I am trying to get some other BIG names interested also...but nobody seems interested for the challenge...oh well...I am honestly trying...trust me.

Chad Woodall

Edited by Too Tall

Who else here is calibrating grippers besides Chad and Chris Rice? Also, Chris... how exactly do you calibrate the grippers (if you don't mind me asking). I might just send some grippers out your way for you to calibrate for me if you'd like! :D

I use a rack mounted Redneck Gripper Calibrator that I made myself - calibrated plates, pin, etc - and do each gripper twice. The results are usually within a pound or two each time. Oiling the spring can make a big difference or almost none - it varies a lot. It's not bad doing it with two people but it's hard work by yourself with bigger grippers.

i don't see how it's impossible, people are getting very close to doing it, look at paul knight and mobsterone. they handled the #4 with relative ease with a pretty wide set. it's only a matter of time before it falls imo, now if they made a #5 or if you're talking about closing the beast gripper, then no i don't think it would be possible ...but it's very possible simply because it's very close to be being done.

Man, with no disrespect to these two crazy strong dudes, what Paul and Steve did with the #4's they closed was a mile away from a new #4 TNS. What they did is not at all close to an unseasond #4 TNS. Just ask Paul or Steve what they think their chance of a TNS #4 is, I can't speak for them so you'll just have to ask the top guys.

i don't see how it's impossible, people are getting very close to doing it, look at paul knight and mobsterone. they handled the #4 with relative ease with a pretty wide set. it's only a matter of time before it falls imo, now if they made a #5 or if you're talking about closing the beast gripper, then no i don't think it would be possible ...but it's very possible simply because it's very close to be being done.

Man, with no disrespect to these two crazy strong dudes, what Paul and Steve did with the #4's they closed was a mile away from a new #4 TNS. What they did is not at all close to an unseasond #4 TNS. Just ask Paul or Steve what they think their chance of a TNS #4 is, I can't speak for them so you'll just have to ask the top guys.

i guess it depends on how you look at it. sure it's not TNS a #4, but i don't mean TNS, i just mean CCS. i thought you meant no one would ever cert on the #4.

Brian Shaw or Rich Williams will do it first.

Ronnie Coleman could be first if he even half way

trained grippers.

I'll never forget his demonstration of gripper POWER

in 1996 at a Strongman Contest Bill Holland hosted.

For those of you that don't know, Ronnie Coleman's grip

is absolutely crazy STRONG and he doens't even train it.

It's sad that people only believe what's possible by what people

are currently doing. I honestly believe with the world population

nearing the 7 billion mark, there's someone out there lurking

around that could TNS a #4.

Mighty Joe

A TNS close of new #4 and a average #4 not an easy one will never happen. A CCS ain't gonna happen in my opinion and if it ever did I think it'd be on a #4 that cal'd under average. A TNS though...........no chance, maybe for a robo-cop in the future but for a normal guy NO CHANCE. It's like saying "one day" a guy will run 100 meters in 6 seconds, it's possible yeah but it's never really going to happen. Just my 2 pence........

I appreciate your opinion, but how do you support it?

Let me go ahead and answer for you. Because of what is currently

being done. Those that you know of involved in grip are minuscle

compared to the world population. You're only saying this because

of what people can currently do.

If I'm wrong here, please correct me or at least support your opinion.

I ask this nicely. :) You are correct, everyone has an opinion but it's how

you support it that makes a difference. ;)

Mighty Joe

A TNS #4 is very possible.

Watch Joe Kinney's #4 close. It's miles ahead of anyone to date.

It's close as I've seen to a TNS close. I watched it 10 times before

I could grasp what I witnessed. Off the charts!

If you have a video of anyone close to Joe Kinney's #4 close please direct me to it.

I eagerly wait to see it.

Mighty Joe

I think it is obvious that Kinney could have TNS'd his #4 as well. Kinney had a terrible gripper technique actually with a shitty handle placement and yet he grinds it like it's nothing. It's frightening to think what he could have done with few technique improvements.

I think it is obvious that Kinney could have TNS'd his #4 as well. Kinney had a terrible gripper technique actually with a shitty handle placement and yet he grinds it like it's nothing. It's frightening to think what he could have done with few technique improvements.

Plain and Simple the man set no"LIMITS" in his mind and went about proveing that.

Exactly!

His #4 close is absolutely incredible.

Mighty Joe

Plain and Simple the man set no"LIMITS" in his mind and went about proveing that.

Gazza, you summed up this whole thread with 2 words-"No Limits"!!!

If an individual doesn't think something is possible in his mind,

he'll never achieve it physically.

As for me, onward with NO LIMITS!!!

Mighty Joe

It's been hashed over many times before on this site, but in the minds of some there does exist some doubt as to the legitamacy of Kinney's close(s). Now, whether you subscribe to that belief or not, I would therefore be leary of making connections like "Well, Kinney looked as though he could have MMS that #4". Maybe, maybe not, but I would want some better evidence.

trained grippers.

Mighty Joe

A TNS close of new #4 and a average #4 not an easy one will never happen. A CCS ain't gonna happen in my opinion and if it ever did I think it'd be on a #4 that cal'd under average. A TNS though...........no chance, maybe for a robo-cop in the future but for a normal guy NO CHANCE. It's like saying "one day" a guy will run 100 meters in 6 seconds, it's possible yeah but it's never really going to happen. Just my 2 pence........

Mighty Joe

Hi Joe-

I also respct and appreciate your opinion but I feel that you saying "the population is 7 billion, therefore someone, somewhere could TNS a #4" is just as unsupported as my own opinion. High numbers of people don't make the impossible tasks more achievable.

I'll try and support my opinion the best I can.......

I don't think a TNS #4 is possible because-

It's never been done, even Kinney couldn't do it, same for Heslep, Morton and anyone else we could mention. I mean, one of the only guys that's certed on a #4 is a former worlds strongest man.....it just shows that just to close a #4 even from a deep set that it takes abnormal levels of crush power, the kind of power that only 5 people ever have managed to build officialy close the #4.

The world population is huge but the average man on the street couldn't close a #1. If you find a really strong guy then you may see a #3 close but you'd not find a very high % of the world population that could do it. If there's a freak out there that can TNS a #4 then he'd have to be training with grippers to build up the specific mucsles needed to do it. He'd have closed a #3.5 TNS to close a #4 and chances are, small as our grip community is I think we'd of heard of him.

But the main reason I don't think a TNS #4 close will ever happen is because I feel that it's just too much for a human hand to do. I feel the #4 is about the strongest gripper a man will ever close. I used the example of the 100 meter sprint before and by your logic the if we get 7 billion people to run it then we should see the world record broken. This wouldn't happen and even if it did we'd not see it go down under 9.5 seconds as we humans can only work with human body and it'll only deliver so much. For me the #4 is the peak of gripper/crush hand strength and that's with a deep set. A TNS #4 will not happen unless- I'm wrong, or the gripper is weaker than an average #4.

I don't want to get on my soap box but for me and for the sake of the sports integrity I think all #4 closes should be calibrated. You and I know that we could both work out ways to video ourselves closing a #4 that was far weaker than a respected level of resistance. This is why for me the MM ladder is the best way to prove how good we are.

All this said, it's just my opinion mate and my opinion don't count for much untill I'm repping my Elite ;)

Gazza, you summed up this whole thread with 2 words-"No Limits"!!!

If an individual doesn't think something is possible in his mind,

he'll never achieve it physically.

As for me, onward with NO LIMITS!!!

Mighty Joe

I did't think closing the #3 was possible when I first got it, it really did feel like i'd never do it. It's made me belive that I can work up to the #4 one day. NOT A TNS THOUGH :laugh;)

If there's a freak out there that can TNS a #4 then he'd have to be training with grippers to build up the specific mucsles needed to do it. He'd have closed a #3.5 TNS to close a #4 and chances are, small as our grip community is I think we'd of heard of him.

This discussion is becoming confused due to equivocation with 'can'.

I can speak Spanish and I can't speak Spanish. In sense 1, I can in that I could learn the language if I put in the time and effort (This is the sense involved in e.g. "Humans, including Rex, can speak Spanish but apes cannot"). In sense 2, I can't because I just can't speak it. I'm a proud monolingual.

The discussion so far, it seems, deals with 'can' in sense 1. Given that he put in the necessary time and effort, can someone close the #4? Not 'can' in sense 2.

As long as we're dealing with sense 1, we have no reason to think we've heard of "him."

-Rex

trained grippers.

Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe

Hi Joe-

I also respct and appreciate your opinion but I feel that you saying "the population is 7 billion, therefore someone, somewhere could TNS a #4" is just as unsupported as my own opinion. High numbers of people don't make the impossible tasks more achievable.

It's never been done, even Kinney couldn't do it, same for Heslep, Morton and anyone else we could mention. I mean, one of the only guys that's certed on a #4 is a former worlds strongest man.....it just shows that just to close a #4 even from a deep set that it takes abnormal levels of crush power, the kind of power that only 5 people ever have managed to build officialy close the #4.

The world population is huge but the average man on the street couldn't close a #1. If you find a really strong guy then you may see a #3 close but you'd not find a very high % of the world population that could do it. If there's a freak out there that can TNS a #4 then he'd have to be training with grippers to build up the specific mucsles needed to do it. He'd have closed a #3.5 TNS to close a #4 and chances are, small as our grip community is I think we'd of heard of him.

But the main reason I don't think a TNS #4 close will ever happen is because I feel that it's just too much for a human hand to do. I feel the #4 is about the strongest gripper a man will ever close. I used the example of the 100 meter sprint before and by your logic the if we get 7 billion people to run it then we should see the world record broken. This wouldn't happen and even if it did we'd not see it go down under 9.5 seconds as we humans can only work with human body and it'll only deliver so much. For me the #4 is the peak of gripper/crush hand strength and that's with a deep set. A TNS #4 will not happen unless- I'm wrong, or the gripper is weaker than an average #4.

I don't want to get on my soap box but for me and for the sake of the sports integrity I think all #4 closes should be calibrated. You and I know that we could both work out ways to video ourselves closing a #4 that was far weaker than a respected level of resistance. This is why for me the MM ladder is the best way to prove how good we are.

All this said, it's just my opinion mate and my opinion don't count for much untill I'm repping my Elite ;)

David Erives almost no-setted an older, single-stamped #4.......I think.

If there's a freak out there that can TNS a #4 then he'd have to be training with grippers to build up the specific mucsles needed to do it. He'd have closed a #3.5 TNS to close a #4 and chances are, small as our grip community is I think we'd of heard of him.

This discussion is becoming confused due to equivocation with 'can'.

I can speak Spanish and I can't speak Spanish. In sense 1, I can in that I could learn the language if I put in the time and effort (This is the sense involved in e.g. "Humans, including Rex, can speak Spanish but apes cannot"). In sense 2, I can't because I just can't speak it. I'm a proud monolingual.

The discussion so far, it seems, deals with 'can' in sense 1. Given that he put in the necessary time and effort, can someone close the #4? Not 'can' in sense 2.

As long as we're dealing with sense 1, we have no reason to think we've heard of "him."

-Rex

Well I'm dealing in the sense 2. I can't TNS a #4, you can't TNS a #4 and the 7 billion other people we live with can't TNS a #4. It's not a grey area, as far a captains of crush makers Ironmind, the grip world and anyone else knows...a TNS #4 close has never been done. Could it be done..maybe yes maybe no but this is where we get to have our say on it. My say is NO it will never be done on a average #4 by a human.

trained grippers.

Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe

Hi Joe-

David Erives almost no-setted an older, single-stamped #4.......I think.

A video and a calibration would be nice........

It's been hashed over many times before on this site, but in the minds of some there does exist some doubt as to the legitamacy of Kinney's close(s). Now, whether you subscribe to that belief or not, I would therefore be leary of making connections like "Well, Kinney looked as though he could have MMS that #4". Maybe, maybe not, but I would want some better evidence.

Anyone who believes that Joe Kinney didn't close that #4 has an axe to grind.

Call Strossen tomorrow and ask why.

It's funny how people keep spreading myth.

Investigate.

Mighty Joe

trained grippers.

Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe

Hi Joe-

Thank you Loyd.

About all I can say is we'll see.

My predictions:

Not one person will TNS a #4 but more in the near future.

Usane Bolt will run 100 meters in under 9.5 sec.

Time will tell.

I politely ask, stop limiting yourself and your thinking.

No Limits!

Mighty Joe

The limits are as high as the ones we set for ourselves. To say no human will TNS an average #4 is to say that all the guys who have closed a #4 on here have reached their absolute potential.