Gripmas Carol 2009

climber511

Whenever I have thought about measuring the bottom position, I was thinking about using a loose string or ribbon, maybe with the stopper below for safety.

I'm definitely not prejudging anything, looking forward to trying it. You are right, if the foam is soft enough it will absorb the impact and you won't get much of a rebound at all.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• Jedd Johnson

• Bob Lipinski

• MalachiMcMullen

climber is there a qualifer for your gripmas, if i can make it id like to come and see this setup in person and compete in the contest.

rico

climber is there a qualifer for your gripmas, if i can make it id like to come and see this setup in person and compete in the contest.

rico

Rico - the qualifier is upright and breathing :) . I'd love to have you make it down for Gripmas - see ya here!

Climber between the wife working night shift and the 3 kids i will definately try, maby i can car pool with some of the guys here in eastern PA.

Parris

Parris - there are several guys from Pa that I hope will be coming - I'm sure you can catch a ride.

That sledge setup looks really good to me Chris! Genius idea IMO.

Ben I'd love to see you walking in the door at Gripmas this year - hope you can make it.

Climber between the wife working night shift and the 3 kids i will definately try, maby i can car pool with some of the guys here in eastern PA.

Parris

Maybe you can ride with John and me.

Jedd, that sounds really cool ill run it by the wife. Hey I pulled my blob today after not working all summer. I'm impressed! I hope this works out for me , I talk to much trash not to show up once in a wile :)

Rico

I hope to make it this year. I like the 1-arm axle for obvious reasons.

If you do more with one arm than I can with two - I will DQ you - I'll think of some crazy reason - I doubt if the others will mind :D

Guest Bullitt

If you do more with one arm than I can with two - I will DQ you - I'll think of some crazy reason - I doubt if the others will mind :D

It should be 1 arm, 1 leg for Adam. Yea... that sounds fair. :D

If you do make it I challenge you to a 2" v-bar off. I will wager one American dollar on the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the length of the handle of the sledge? Is it just the 31" above the head that Rex talks about? And do you have a way to add weight to the sledge or does it just go 12, 16 then 20 lb? i'm just curious, i've never competed in any sledge comps and i was thinking about starting.

Chris, are you still thinking about having a women's division?

Yes I hope to - if we can get 3 or 4 women I will have a ladies class - if less women sign up and they want to - they can compete in one of the men's divisions as a novice- lt wt - or open lifter. So far 4 women have at least expressed interest but of course no one has signed up yet. I held off on putting up the actual Gripmas paper work until after Nationals.

Yes I hope to - if we can get 3 or 4 women I will have a ladies class - if less women sign up and they want to - they can compete in one of the men's divisions as a novice- lt wt - or open lifter. So far 4 women have at least expressed interest but of course no one has signed up yet. I held off on putting up the actual Gripmas paper work until after Nationals.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Bl...eneeToney-1.jpg

This one started training at Metroflex this year. I'll see if she's interested.

-Rex

Melissa is definitely in if there is a women's division. Definitely out if not. She had a great time just being a spectator at Jedd's. Either way, she will be happy.

What is the length of the handle of the sledge? Is it just the 31" above the head that Rex talks about? And do you have a way to add weight to the sledge or does it just go 12, 16 then 20 lb? i'm just curious, i've never competed in any sledge comps and i was thinking about starting.

Mike - If we end up with a ladies class - I'll have to get a six pound hammer or else make up a home made setup for them. I have an eight pound one and then I have an adjustable sledge based on a 10# sledge. We will be able to make fairly small jumps of about a half pound at a time from ten to whatever we need.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Bl...eneeToney-1.jpg

This one started training at Metroflex this year. I'll see if she's interested.

-Rex

Dam

Mike - If we end up with a ladies class - I'll have to get a six pound hammer or else make up a home made setup for them. I have an eight pound one and then I have an adjustable sledge based on a 10# sledge. We will be able to make fairly small jumps of about a half pound at a time from ten to whatever we need.

I like the idea of 1/2 lb increments, that will make it real easy to rank who is better.

How about the length, is the handle 31" from the head of the sledge?

I have a 6 pound hammer I could bring

I have a 6 pound hammer I could bring

That would be great! Thanks.

I like the idea of 1/2 lb increments, that will make it real easy to rank who is better.

The handle section that sticks out is 31". Overall is 33 3/4" - the set up is based on a normal 10# sledge hammer.

The handle section that sticks out is 31". Overall is 33 3/4" - the set up is based on a normal 10# sledge hammer.

As long as it's not a weaver stick. :laugh That was the most painful, humbling lift I have ever tried. Sounds like you have the perfect setup Chris. Can't wait to give it a shot!

Edited by Bullitt