• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• Jedd Johnson

• Bob Lipinski

• MalachiMcMullen

One more question... I have not competed in a contest before but have decent grip strength like CCSing a #3 and nearly closing a #3.5, do I have to compete in the novice section? I think I would like to compete in the open with the big boys even if I get my arse kicked, lol.

Guest Bullitt
One more question... I have not competed in a contest before but have decent grip strength like CCSing a #3 and nearly closing a #3.5, do I have to compete in the novice section? I think I would like to compete in the open with the big boys even if I get my arse kicked, lol.

You and i are in the same boat. Will be my first contest as well. I'm competing in the open. We'll battle it out! :D

The rule for "novice" is never having done a grip contest before. My idea is to give the new guys a place to compete against each other without having to go up against the experienced guys. It's something that has been mentioned on the board many times in the past and I thought I'd try it as a way to bring new people into the sport. CCS of a 3 - I think you will do just fine playing in the bigs! That said, I agree with you - cherry picking a trophy in the novice class isn't the goal either. Anyone big or small, male or female can be in the Open class. You have to be under 208# for lightweight and a girl for the ladies class :blush . No qualifying totals for Gripmas - that's for Nationals only so far. You must be breathing and upright more or less to compete.

And my God AuCraigCall, you're in Marietta? I have a climbing buddy who lives there. We seriously have to get together and do some grip!

Price will probably be $35 or $40 this year. If I have the extra classes (one or two) - it will mean more trophies to get and of course increase my costs.

Guest Bullitt
The rule for "novice" is never having done a grip contest before. My idea is to give the new guys a place to compete against each other without having to go up against the experienced guys. It's something that has been mentioned on the board many times in the past and I thought I'd try it as a way to bring new people into the sport. CCS of a 3 - I think you will do just fine playing in the bigs! That said, I agree with you - cherry picking a trophy in the novice class isn't the goal either. Anyone big or small, male or female can be in the Open class. You have to be under 208# for lightweight and a girl for the ladies class :blush . No qualifying totals for Gripmas - that's for Nationals only so far. You must be breathing and upright more or less to compete.

And my God AuCraigCall, you're in Marietta? I have a climbing buddy who lives there. We seriously have to get together and do some grip!

Price will probably be $35 or $40 this year. If I have the extra classes (one or two) - it will mean more trophies to get and of course increase my costs.

Sounds great Chris. Hmmm, wonder if I could cut 42lbs by December 12???? :dry

I have been meaning to get a hold of you about this I would love to get together for some grip before I go back to school, just name the place and time.

Edited by AuCraigCall

• 4 weeks later...

A friend and I played around with the sledge lever setup I plan to use at Gripmas yesterday. (he's shorter than I at 5' 7") The setup I have made works great for both of us and changing for height takes just a few seconds. Everyone does the exact same number of degrees of movement - judging is SO easy - and you cannot lose control front, back, or to the sides so it's quite safe. I'll have a couple pictures up soon.

Pictures are now up - I do need to make a shorter arm support but I think that's all.

Nice. Gonna be rules about bouncing out of the bottom?

Looks like 45 degrees or so? 25+ will go, by more than one person.

Bob - no bouncing out of the bottom of course (maybe I'll put an egg on the stop hehe) - but there is an easy but touchy way to control that also - just pull the foam block away a little bit - then if you hit it too hard - it will move and be visible but I'd rather not have to do that. I have measured people from 5' 7" to 6' 4" as to degrees of movement. It varies a little with head and neck length. The stop was set up so that my 16# sledge (the head of the hammer) just touches the forehead - from this I used the shaft of the handle which will not change with the weight or size of the head - the handle angle will always be the same for every size and person. It surprised me how little variance there was - I really expected to find much more. I think we'll see some big numbers as well and the spotters job is much easier now as it cannot fall off to the sides or well .... anywhere if you don't let go of it. We will have to keep it from falling onto the stop too hard and maybe breaking a handle but that's about it. If the hand placement is controlled (and it will be) - the stroke will be identical for everyone - and that's as fair as I can make things. We will be using an adjustable set up with a ten pound sledge as a base (I have an adjustable eight but would like to borrow a six if anyone has one please). We can add weight plates to it and also even washers for a tie breaker if necessary.

I hope to get 20# this time - I've never managed it in a comp before. Pay close attention to the Weaver Stick results at Jedds - it will be a good predictor I think.

Looks like a hoot! Hope my wife is employed by that time so I can make it!

Climber the flaw i see is that if someone drags the handle against the rail it will take pressure off the lift. Also it will make it easier since your pronators and supinators will not have to work as hard if your touching the sides even for a second, it will be like a mini rest. Wouldn't the way be fine with just good judging? I mean who could duplicate this setup at another contest? I just think also think that with your arm resting its got to be so much easier, how would you brag about your high numbers to the farm boy doun the road?

Just my thoughts

Rico

Climber the flaw i see is that if someone drags the handle against the rail it will take pressure off the lift. Also it will make it easier since your pronators and supinators will not have to work as hard if your touching the sides even for a second, it will be like a mini rest. Wouldn't the way be fine with just good judging? I mean who could duplicate this setup at another contest? I just think also think that with your arm resting its got to be so much easier, how would you brag about your high numbers to the farm boy doun the road?

Just my thoughts

Rico

Rico - I've done sledges in several competitions now and played with more than a few ideas while coming up with this one. I've done them free standing (absolutely impossible to judge for several reasons) - with arm supported but free (dangerous)(arm supported is not easier, at least for me I can do more weight unsupported) - and with arm supported in a set up kind of like this one (absolutely same range of motion, safe (very important to me) and easy to judge - touch one stop and then the other) - the assistance you speak of dragging the rails is something I haven't found as far as being able to get help in any way - yes the side to side is there but after watching Eaton about rip his arm off while losing one off to the side at a contest, as a promoter I can live with that. Every single way offers some kind of problem - every solution brings its own problems along with it. I'm sure those that use it at Gripmas will be able to critique it when we're done - please come and give your opinion too :D . As for the farm boy down the road - he's invited to Gripmas too. If he wants to compare himself, show up. Farmboy and gym lifts never relate that well to competition lifts anyway.

The biggest levers I have done have all been free standing but it is not as strict as competition lifts are. Arm length, neck and head length and a host of factors change the range of motion that each person uses even if they do manage to keep their arm level (they won't) - this way makes it the same for all no matter the other issues involved. One big thing to me is the safety factor - and this way wins big time. When and if there is ever a united organization, I will follow whatever event rules they come up with - until then I guess I'll do it the best way I know how.

Bob - no bouncing out of the bottom of course (maybe I'll put an egg on the stop hehe) - but there is an easy but touchy way to control that also - just pull the foam block away a little bit - then if you hit it too hard - it will move and be visible but I'd rather not have to do that. I have measured people from 5' 7" to 6' 4" as to degrees of movement. It varies a little with head and neck length. The stop was set up so that my 16# sledge (the head of the hammer) just touches the forehead - from this I used the shaft of the handle which will not change with the weight or size of the head - the handle angle will always be the same for every size and person. It surprised me how little variance there was - I really expected to find much more. I think we'll see some big numbers as well and the spotters job is much easier now as it cannot fall off to the sides or well .... anywhere if you don't let go of it. We will have to keep it from falling onto the stop too hard and maybe breaking a handle but that's about it. If the hand placement is controlled (and it will be) - the stroke will be identical for everyone - and that's as fair as I can make things. We will be using an adjustable set up with a ten pound sledge as a base (I have an adjustable eight but would like to borrow a six if anyone has one please). We can add weight plates to it and also even washers for a tie breaker if necessary.

I hope to get 20# this time - I've never managed it in a comp before. Pay close attention to the Weaver Stick results at Jedds - it will be a good predictor I think.

Where are the pictures of your set-up?

Guest Bullitt

Where are the pictures of your set-up?

In his gallery Jedd. http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/125070858...4_820_34845.jpg

Edited by Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Not much experience with this sort of stuff, but have a bit of a background in physics. There really won't be enough friction to make much of a difference unless someone is bouncing it back and forth all the way down, which would cause more problems than it would help I think. If everyone is worried that it will make a difference, you could always spray the rails with silicon spray a few times during the comp. But, unless the sledge handles are REALLY rough, or the rails are REALLY rough, there should not be a noticable effect. And Bob has a good point, the friction on the way up will probably hurt you more than the friction on the way down will help anyway.

Not much experience with this sort of stuff, but have a bit of a background in physics. There really won't be enough friction to make much of a difference unless someone is bouncing it back and forth all the way down, which would cause more problems than it would help I think. If everyone is worried that it will make a difference, you could always spray the rails with silicon spray a few times during the comp. But, unless the sledge handles are REALLY rough, or the rails are REALLY rough, there should not be a noticable effect. And Bob has a good point, the friction on the way up will probably hurt you more than the friction on the way down will help anyway.

I have been able to "lower" every sledge I have ever tried - often quite rapidly. Guys - it works well - don't judge it until you try it please.

Guest Bullitt

I have been able to "lower" every sledge I have ever tried - often quite rapidly. Guys - it works well - don't judge it until you try it please.

Looks great to me Chris! I just need to work on my levering. :D

I tried it out before chad's comp. the rails didn't seem to help at all even when I pushed into them. It is a well made device. I don't hink anyone will have any complaints at all after the comp.

brent

I think any complaints will be r/t bouncing it vs. the rails. A big bounce is easy to DQ but when you start getting into the gray area, problems will arise. Hopefully the stop has little to zero rebound so a slight slip, that you could likely recover from, albeit with a red spot on your head, won't result in a little bounce and get you DQ'd. I like Chris's advice of judge it before you try it and I hope I get to try it!

I didn't see a strap down for the arm so will the arm have to remain in contact or will it be like Bob's where, once you've been measured, it's assumed that if your arm comes up you're making it harder?

I think any complaints will be r/t bouncing it vs. the rails. A big bounce is easy to DQ but when you start getting into the gray area, problems will arise. Hopefully the stop has little to zero rebound so a slight slip, that you could likely recover from, albeit with a red spot on your head, won't result in a little bounce and get you DQ'd. I like Chris's advice of judge it before you try it and I hope I get to try it!

I didn't see a strap down for the arm so will the arm have to remain in contact or will it be like Bob's where, once you've been measured, it's assumed that if your arm comes up you're making it harder?

Josh - I just sat a box up for the arm rest in the pictures but I will make an actual arm rest kind of thing for it that is better than what you see here. As to the bounce - if you look at the "stop" closely - you can see the red metal end and then the yellow foam pad that just sits between the rails up against the metal. Now imagine moving the foam about a quarter inch from the metal end - now if you hit it very hard to try and bounce - the foam will move (the foam is kind of stiff) and refill the gap - resulting in a DQ lift. I haven't decided if that is going to be necessary but the fix is pretty easy if it does becomes necessary. In our playing around we tried a strap but it's so easy to judge that I don't think it will be needed. The foam doesn't give much bounce either but rather absorbs it. It's also set up where you can easily set up so even a dropped lift will not hit you in the head by just putting your head off to the side an inch or so if you choose to do so. I think it can be used fairly without getting too anal about every little thing because it's so easy to see everything. Hey - we could always do it with a "bottom start position" hehe!