1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge 2009

Too Tall

I can make it and help with videoing this sick event if you guys need I would love to witness this!

I would make a shot at it if it wasn't wedged between my contest and Zach's. If nothing else but for a shot at the old man!

Here is the list of competitors so far: UPDATED 2-11-09

Wade Gillingham

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes Peart

Aaron C. (AC)

Big Tex Henderson

Big Rich Williams

Big Dave Thorton

Can't we just call everyone BIG for all intensive purposes? I think the smallest person on there is about 6' 205 :D

Can't we just call everyone BIG for all intensive purposes? I think the smallest person on there is about 6' 205 :D
You're eligible, aren't you Derek?

Ugh - big is relative when I think of Tex - the guy has his own zip code :D

Yes, but I'm not positive I would want to go to this. I'll be in Germany for 3 weeks up until June 16th and to get back, adjust to the timezone, re-fly out 3 days later and then compete against 19 guys 20x stronger then me might not be my ideal situation for standing even a minute chance :D

Chris, VERY true :laugh

Looks like it'll be the greatest contest ever! Hopefully everybody lined up will really come and compete at this contest!

Good luck BIG CHAD!!! :rock :rock :rock

Yes, but I'm not positive I would want to go to this. I'll be in Germany for 3 weeks up until June 16th and to get back, adjust to the timezone, re-fly out 3 days later and then compete against 19 guys 20x stronger then me might not be my ideal situation for standing even a minute chance :D

Soooooooooo... You coooooooooooould go if you really wanted to, but you're going to skip an opportunity to not only go and see but COMPETE with the absolute best in the grip world? Not to mention the knowledge you could obtain from guys like Wade, Chad, Rich, Tex, Durniat, etc about FAR MORE than mere grip. You would hands down come in last place, but that SHOULD be secondary to what you could learn and see.

This looks like an incredible line-up. :rock You definitely need someone to handle the video/photo duties. I think a lot of folks would be interested in some stats on the guys also. Maybe as they check in the day of the competition you could get weight/height/hand size?

I think Gabriel from Germany might give a lot of the guys something to worry about. Wonder if he might be able to make it?

There is no doubt that there are some more people I would love to see make it to this contest. Still a lot of big grips out there in the strength world - but it's shaping up pretty darn good so far!

13 Competitors are in...we need 7 more to make 20 :rock

I have not heard back from Rob V, Heath Sexton, Big Laine, Brian Schoonveld, or Big Steve...if you know these guys...shake them a little and get them interested :rock

Here is the list of competitors so far: UPDATED 2-12-09

Wade Gillingham

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes Peart

Aaron C. (AC)

Big Tex Henderson

Big Rich Williams

Big Dave Thorton

Brent Barbe

6 spots left.

Not to mention the knowledge you could obtain from guys like Wade, Chad, Rich, Tex, Durniat,

Heh. You're right about Andrew, Wade, and Chad. I got the impression, though, that Rich and Tex are kind of like me--they rely on crude but effective programs, not a whole lot of training theory, don't have much use for "supercompensate" and "dynamic effort" yada yada, never really cycle the volume, etc.

-Rex

Not to mention the knowledge you could obtain from guys like Wade, Chad, Rich, Tex, Durniat,

Heh. You're right about Andrew, Wade, and Chad. I got the impression, though, that Rich and Tex are kind of like me--they rely on crude but effective programs, not a whole lot of training theory, don't have much use for "supercompensate" and "dynamic effort" yada yada, never really cycle the volume, etc.

-Rex

Rex - it's fascinating the way different people train - what they thrive on - what amount of carry over they get from one lift to another lift. What makes one guy strong destroys the next. Negatives for one - reps for the next - going to failure or leaving one in the tank - it seems that finding what works for you and then doing it - then changing as your body changes or your goals change over time is the key. What you might need to grow a year from now could be totally different - or not - you won't know until you get there. It seems like the rule is - there ain't no rule! Train hard buddy!

1. 2HP - wt TBA ........................................................................ Probably no unless under 220

2. 2-45’s Pinch .......................................................................... Probably no unless I get alot stronger before then

3. 6-10’s welded together ............................................................ Yes!

4. Blob 50 ................................................................................

. depends, maybe no

5. Fat Hex 50 ............................................................................ I hear this ones harder than a Blob - probably no

6. 100# Anvil from top (about 4”) ................................................. defenitly no

7. Hub 45’s wide and narrow ........................................................ maybe - is this a double hub lift? or one than the other?

8. 3-25’s ................................................................................

.. should get this depending on the pates

9. Inch DB ................................................................................ hopefully come June

10. 2” DB - wt TBA ..................................................................... I would say its going to be a crazy weight, so no

11. 3” DB - wt TBA ..................................................................... same

12. IM Apollon’s Axel - wt TBA ...................................................... same

13. 7” IM Red Nails (one in the middle and one at the end) ................. waaaaay too easy in comparison to the other lifts - yes

14. Phone Book (vertical tear) ....................................................... yes

15. RT (it will be the new IM handle) – wt TBA ................................. again, prolly crazy weight, so no

16. IM Little Big Horn on IM loading pin - wt TBA ............................... same

17. Fat Bastard Bomb on IM loading pin – wt TBA .............................. same

Lol, sticky this for all the new guy "what should I do" questions. Sounds like a fantastic competition - I think these events are a great choice as it'll make everybody work for their money.

Didn't Odd Haugen participate in a grip comp of some sort? I think he'd like this one, given the events! Someone tell him! :D

You want to miss this for those weak excuses? This is historical dude. I think back to the time I flew to MN to compete with Jeff Peterson, Dave Ostlund and Jeff Bissonette, among others, with some extremely fond memories. I am so glad I made that trip. It was the first time I'd ever flown alone and was scared and broke but I made the trip anyway. I am damn glad I did because Dave ended up being one of the top strongmen in the US and I got to compete against him in grip. Also, many of those monsters don't even compete anymore and never made it to the east coast, but I still look back at the time that I was lucky enough to throw down with them. It was great.

If you have the funds, don't miss this contest.

You want to miss this for those weak excuses? This is historical dude. I think back to the time I flew to MN to compete with Jeff Peterson, Dave Ostlund and Jeff Bissonette, among others, with some extremely fond memories. I am so glad I made that trip. It was the first time I'd ever flown alone and was scared and broke but I made the trip anyway. I am damn glad I did because Dave ended up being one of the top strongmen in the US and I got to compete against him in grip. Also, many of those monsters don't even compete anymore and never made it to the east coast, but I still look back at the time that I was lucky enough to throw down with them. It was great.

If you have the funds, don't miss this contest.

Ok ok ok fine, I'll see what I can do. I guess I'll be trading going to Show of Hands to getting my ass kicked there :D

Chad, is it ok if I'm underage and without a parent present? So long as they sign the sheet obviously?

Didn't Odd Haugen participate in a grip comp of some sort? I think he'd like this one, given the events! Someone tell him! :D

I just emailed him, described it to him.

Hey Morgan (Maidenfan), how come you are not jumping in on the action here? The Left Coast needs representation!

As of today I have tentative plans of going to this grip competition

to photograph what will be a truly historical day in the grip world.

As for now I plan on driving but that could change as I check on

various airline rates.

If all the competitors on the list show up (and hopefully others) this will

be the greatest compilation of grip athletes to get together for a grip contest

ever. Truly a day that will go down in the record books.

I plan on getting individual shots of each competitor and I'll have some

printed stat forms for each competitor to fill out to go with his pic. Not to

mention I will get shots of each competitor at each event.

I can't wait!!! :D

Mighty Joe

As of today I have tentative plans of going to this grip competition

to photograph what will be a truly historical day in the grip world.

As for now I plan on driving but that could change as I check on

various airline rates.

If all the competitors on the list show up (and hopefully others) this will

be the greatest compilation of grip athletes to get together for a grip contest

ever. Truly a day that will go down in the record books.

I plan on getting individual shots of each competitor and I'll have some

printed stat forms for each competitor to fill out to go with his pic. Not to

mention I will get shots of each competitor at each event.

I can't wait!!! :D

Mighty Joe

That would be Awesome...thank you.

13 Competitors are in...we need 7 more to make 20 :rock

I have not heard back from Rob V, Heath Sexton, Big Laine, Brian Schoonveld, or Big Steve...if you know these guys...shake them a little and get them interested :rock

Steve McGranahan's response: Wife made me retire from comp. Can't afford to get hurt making good money now and the way it looks it going to be very very blessed soon. Sorry thx for info boss where is anyway