1st Annual Woodall Grip Challenge 2009

Too Tall

Indeed. But I've two events between now and then (Peter Horne day and the British is only a few weeks before). I train too often and very hard now. So in reality I'd have 3-4 weeks after the British to add some extras in.

From the list here's what I'd struggle on:

Medley:

1. 2HP - wt TBA

2. 2-45’s Pinch Never done it.

3. 6-10’s welded together

4. Blob 50

5. Fat Hex 50

6. 100# Anvil from top (about 4”) No idea how this would go. Is it two handed?

7. Hub 45’s wide and narrow Possible.

8. 3-25’s

9. Inch DB

10. 2” DB - wt TBA

11. 3” DB - wt TBA

12. IM Apollon’s Axle - wt TBA

13. 7” IM Red Nails (one in the middle and one at the end) Never bent one.

14. Phone Book (vertical tear) Never done it.

15. RT (it will be the new IM handle) – wt TBA

16. IM Little Big Horn on IM loading pin - wt TBA

17. Fat Bastard Bomb on IM loading pin – wt TBA

i would say you could quite possibly do all of them, however i think chad would own this

yeh sam, pretty sure chad does an anvil like that in the sorinex vid where tex attempted the #4 cert

Hey Steve, I think this contest fits very good for you and you could do well even in the medley. Go for it for Europe!

Steve, the object is to beat Chad. Chad happens to be an amazing pincher, wide pinch too. Don't avoid a contest, especially one of this calibre, because of 2 items that you might not lift in one event. Even I've broken a 70lb anvil off the floor(~4", probably a bit less, accross the top) with one hand, I can't even lift a 40 york. The 6 10's aren't even 6 10's, it's a 60lb blockweight.

Zach, in what way did I say I was avoiding a competition? ANY competitor MUST know their strengths and their weaknesses. The medley is ONE EVENT and (if I am able to go - I've asked Chad to consider me a maybe) there are are a bunch of other events I could equal, beat or whatever Chad on. I know Chad feels that too else he wouldn't have considered a supermatch earlier this year or invited me to this one.

Back to the medley. Chad clearly states earlier that he can do all of these lifts. The trick with a medley is being able to do them after a five event competition. To me medleys are merely what we all tend to do after a competition is over and are pretty much a US based creation (the recent Aussie event had one). I have, in the past taken part in said fun but now only if I feel like it. That Chad wants to add another three implements to the medley... man oh man.

That's without getting into the whole travelling 5000+ miles against the clock and away from home etc. I've done this before (placing well (4th)) but it's not fun. I would, however, be motivated by a decent lump of cash. More so in light of the current Sterling/Dollar exchange rate. However, earlier today I had a very kind invite from a name on the board regarding picking me up, sorting out the travelling, a place to stay and even the food. This would help a great deal.

I'm leaving off confirming just yet. I've put in for a tax credit which might see me have some spare money for air fares and the the like. I've started selling grippers via eBay (pocket money right now) and am applying for a PT health trainer position here which would see me add (I hope) about $200.00 give or take to my income. If these all fall into place then the added chance of earning a few bucks definitely appeals to me. As before I have two competitions between now and then which makes spreading my training time even more thinly difficult. Add to that the Champion of Champions event WILL NOT take place (due to financial issues on David's part) and I'd be just about done for the year by this competition or just after ha ha.

So not avoiding just yet and if I do not because of the medley. I was just stating what I know to be a weakness at the moment.

as long as you didnt do this 'instead' of the brits, im all for it - i would be surprised if you didnt get at least 2nd, an not at all surprised if you won

Zach, in what way did I say I was avoiding a competition? ANY competitor MUST know their strengths and their weaknesses. The medley is ONE EVENT and (if I am able to go - I've asked Chad to consider me a maybe) there are are a bunch of other events I could equal, beat or whatever Chad on. I know Chad feels that too else he wouldn't have considered a supermatch earlier this year or invited me to this one.

Back to the medley. Chad clearly states earlier that he can do all of these lifts. The trick with a medley is being able to do them after a five event competition. To me medleys are merely what we all tend to do after a competition is over and are pretty much a US based creation (the recent Aussie event had one). I have, in the past taken part in said fun but now only if I feel like it. That Chad wants to add another three implements to the medley... man oh man.

That's without getting into the whole travelling 5000+ miles against the clock and away from home etc. I've done this before (placing well (4th)) but it's not fun. I would, however, be motivated by a decent lump of cash. More so in light of the current Sterling/Dollar exchange rate. However, earlier today I had a very kind invite from a name on the board regarding picking me up, sorting out the travelling, a place to stay and even the food. This would help a great deal.

I'm leaving off confirming just yet. I've put in for a tax credit which might see me have some spare money for air fares and the the like. I've started selling grippers via eBay (pocket money right now) and am applying for a PT health trainer position here which would see me add (I hope) about $200.00 give or take to my income. If these all fall into place then the added chance of earning a few bucks definitely appeals to me. As before I have two competitions between now and then which makes spreading my training time even more thinly difficult. Add to that the Champion of Champions event WILL NOT take place (due to financial issues on David's part) and I'd be just about done for the year by this competition or just after ha ha.

So not avoiding just yet and if I do not because of the medley. I was just stating what I know to be a weakness at the moment.

I have the same feeling as Steve on this. It seems like something that should be done afterwards with a couple cases of beer. If the events in the contest are well picked the winner (without the medley) should be the guy with the strongest all around grip that day. Why contest the strongest all around grip in one event - the medley - especially when it is nearly impossible for anyone to train for except the owner of the equipment? (not accusing Chad of anything here - just stating an obvious fact)

Edited by Wade Gillingham

Not liking medleys and from that list if I make it I'll probably only do half of it.

most will probably only do about half - lol

:D Only cos (trash talking) you want your chance ha ha. :D

damn right i do! your heads big enough (literally!) but yeh, to be honest it is more about beating you than winning the brits for me

I have the same feeling as Steve on this. It seems like something that should be done afterwards with a couple cases of beer. If the events in the contest are well picked the winner (without the medley) should be the guy with the strongest all around grip that day. Why contest the strongest all around grip in one event - the medley - especially when it is nearly impossible for anyone to train for except the owner of the equipment? (not accusing Chad of anything here - just stating an obvious fact)

Guys...you are KILLING ME with this medley stuff :whacked

I traveled to Germany in 2007 and barely knew what would be in the medley...I have been to Chicago at Beaty's twice and his medley has A LOT of unknown...I competed in Nationals last year...and NOBODY knew what the medley would consist of...with EACH location I was using somebody elses equipment.

The unknown makes it fun...and that is what drives me to beat some of the best...let it drive you to do the same. I mean this comp has some BIG CASH involved...come on guys.

As for you Steve...I would be willing to help raise some $$$ like we did that time for David Horne to get you here. I want to see you in action and this comp suits you...THICK BAR DADDY :rock

Edited by Too Tall

Chad no one ever completely loves the choices, it comes with the territory. If I compete I take it as it is and get on with it. Don't fret over me (or Wade) whining and bitching ha ha. Short of me selecting the lifts, the location, what-have-you, it is what it is and I put up or walk ha ha. Like I said I don't like them but if I wanna do well I had better man up.

Is Wade coming or is he just stating an opinion? C'mon Wade let's man up.

Chad, I've been amazed at offers of help thus far and any more would be icing on the cake. Right now I've one offer of a perpetual cup for the British (goes to the winner every year) and another of £100.00 towards this years event alone. Those alone are great. Add to that the previously mentioned offer from one of the GB's great debaters (big clue there ha ha) and I feel very fortunate.

Anyway... in spite of grippers and some 2HP this am (a little off where I'd have liked it to be) I did some one hand pinch this afternoon. See I'm 'manning up' already!

Steve- No, you didn't say you were avoiding it, I just wanted to make sure you weren't out and out saying "no." I read into things sometimes and I got the impression you didn't want to compete just because of the medley. It seems I was wrong, just wanted to make sure.

Steve and Wade- How better to really test the grip than a random assortment of items? If you're going to really test the best and see who is the strongest on that day, why not throw as many curve balls as you can? A medley accomplishes this. You'll be doing plenty of lifting afterwards regardless at a grip comp.

Here is the list of competitors so far: UPDATED 2-9-09

Wade Gillingham

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes

He is coming.

Edited by Too Tall

Steve- No, you didn't say you were avoiding it, I just wanted to make sure you weren't out and out saying "no." I read into things sometimes and I got the impression you didn't want to compete just because of the medley. It seems I was wrong, just wanted to make sure.

Steve and Wade- How better to really test the grip than a random assortment of items? If you're going to really test the best and see who is the strongest on that day, why not throw as many curve balls as you can? A medley accomplishes this. You'll be doing plenty of lifting afterwards regardless at a grip comp.

Lifting of food and beer to mouth. Not much else ha ha.

Wade Gillingham

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes

He is coming.

Sweet.

Wade Gillingham

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes

He is coming.

? is that Wes Peart or who we talkin about here

Wade Gillingham

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes

He is coming.

Yes, Wes Peart.

Wade Gillingham

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes

He is coming.

Yes, Wes Peart.

The medley is good for me - keep it in there. Besides, I will need some way to make up points after I get last in the grippers. I just think it's confusing.

This is exciting as hell!!!

I must say though, that having both the RT and the AA is a bit redundant, isn't it? Would've been cooler to swap one of these (thickbar events) for a 1HDL on a standard olympic barbell or something! :)

All those guys competing... that sounds awesome. All that's missing is Rob V. making a comeback with this comp :D

Wade Gillingham

Jedd Johnson

Paul Knight

Rex Hubbard

Steve Gardener

Chris Rice

Chad Woodall

Andrew Durniat

Big Wes

He is coming.

Yes, Wes Peart.

The medley is good for me - keep it in there. Besides, I will need some way to make up points after I get last in the grippers. I just think it's confusing.

Wade - next to last maybe :blush

This is exciting as hell!!!

I must say though, that having both the RT and the AA is a bit redundant, isn't it? Would've been cooler to swap one of these (thickbar events) for a 1HDL on a standard olympic barbell or something! :)

All those guys competing... that sounds awesome. All that's missing is Rob V. making a comeback with this comp :D

I invited Rob V. Somebody that knows him...try to get him in this comp...it is going to be BA :rock

I'm leaving off confirming just yet.
Confirm, we'll get you there!
I've put in for a tax credit which might see me have some spare money for air fares and the the like.
Damn, Bitch, you are killing me! You haven't put in for Tax Credits yet??? PM me!

Are spectators allowed? Love to come and see this one and if you need help loading the events or anything else let me know.

Edited by PowerHouse

Are spectators allowed? Love to come and see this one and if you need help loading the events or anything else let me know.

Yes, I would love to have you down. I am sure that there will be plenty to do to help...thanks a million :rock

Yes, I would love to have you down. I am sure that there will be plenty to do to help...thanks a million :rock

If I can get off work that weekend I will come for sure and would help any way i can.