Possible To Open Bottle Caps With Hand Strength?

Egolego

Hi, my name is Vlad and im new to this forum. I recently started grip training for fun since i think its cool to have a strong grip, but for now i can only close the nr 1 gripper :cool

Anyway, my goal when I started grip training was to be able to open bottle caps with my bare hands (of course you'll have to have a towel or something around it so you don't wreck your hands) which i think would be a cool party trick - or maybe you are missing a bottle cap opener. Recently I have started wondering if it's possible though since the only thing i accomplish when i try is feeling alot of pain in my wrists and the bottle cap not moving .. at all.

So if some of you strong grippers would like to try this, or if you against all odds happen to know more about this weird thing, i would be very happy to hear from you.

That's great man, you gave me new hope now! I hope it's ok if i ask some questions:

1. By "if it's a twist of bottle cap" do you mean you only twist it without pulling the bottle cap of the bottle? Or do you pull it off.. Since i never come that far im not really sure if the bottle cap comes of automatically after managing to twist it, or if you have to pull it upwards?

2. What captain of crush are you able to close and would you say wrist or crush strength is most important for doing this?

3. You say you do it often, does that mean you can do it with your bare fingers - like with no wrapping around to protect your skin?

Hope it's not too many questions :bow

I dont think youre talking about the same type of bottle cap. there is one typ that you just have to twist to get it open its very easy to open. The other cap that you use an bottle cap opener, i think its very difficult to get open with just your hands. I have tried but I don´t get it open.

I dont think youre talking about the same type of bottle cap. there is one typ that you just have to twist to get it open its very easy to open. The other cap that you use an bottle cap opener, i think its very difficult to get open with just your hands. I have tried but I don´t get it open.

Yes i mean the one you need a bottle cap opener for (as i mentioned in my original post)... the bottle caps on my 1.5 litre Coca-cola plastic bottles comes of just fine ;)

With some cloth, yes.

Ok, so i understand it's possible then - that's good to know. Your signature says you can close vulcan gripper 19... about what nr CoC is that and also what would you say is the ratio of grip/wrist strength when you do this?

Yes, but there are some type of metal cap that you just twist to get open.

I'd like to see someone do this, even with a cloth. Being the clown that I am, I've tried it with a dishcloth over the cap. The metal is crimped over the glass lip, and there is no leverage at all.

(a twist off cap is the sign of a bad beer :D)

Just tried it with a IM pad and even though it made a "psssst" sound I'm worried I'm going to break the bottle and cut myself with it, so I didn't use full force to open it ;)

Just tried it with a IM pad and even though it made a "psssst" sound I'm worried I'm going to break the bottle and cut myself with it, so I didn't use full force to open it ;)

Impressive! Yes it would be a disaster cutting yourself with that much force :cry Wearing something like a winter jacket would probably help but it wouldn't work so well as a party trick then... but you can at least brag about it :cool Anyway, i can't wait to work up my forearms until i can hear the "pssst" sound too :rock

Yes i mean the one you need a bottle cap opener for (as i mentioned in my original post)... the bottle caps on my 1.5 litre Coca-cola plastic bottles comes of just fine ;)

With some cloth, yes.

Ok, so i understand it's possible then - that's good to know. Your signature says you can close vulcan gripper 19... about what nr CoC is that and also what would you say is the ratio of grip/wrist strength when you do this?

I've done a 3 and a 4 (see youtube videos for the 4 and check Ironmind's list for the 3). It isn't that big a deal. The issue is one of leverage and many cap openers are what... 3 inches long? It's far more of a 'do not rip the hands to shreds on the cap itself. There is no danger of the bottle breaking if it's done correctly. I have no idea why some think that's an issue. After all how often does it happen when you use a bottle opener? Never. Now, with the hand padded to stop it getting torn up, you use that instead.

I've done a 3 and a 4 (see youtube videos for the 4 and check Ironmind's list for the 3). It isn't that big a deal. The issue is one of leverage and many cap openers are what... 3 inches long? It's far more of a 'do not rip the hands to shreds on the cap itself. There is no danger of the bottle breaking if it's done correctly. I have no idea why some think that's an issue. After all how often does it happen when you use a bottle opener? Never. Now, with the hand padded to stop it getting torn up, you use that instead.

You've got a valid point there Steve, I'll give it another try tonight ;)

mobsterone, are you saying that you can open a bottle cap in this manner? :rock :rock

witch finger did you use?

Finger?? I've grasped it using the thumb hooked over an index finger and obviously that over a cloth.

Auto: like this one - http://www.fullers.co.uk/master/content/im.../1/319/1427.jpg or the Old Peculiar (nice but very strong Porter ale) and when I mean bottle opener then yes like: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images...ttle-opener.jpg

To be fair I've done some and failed on others. I've got bottle openers so it's only been a case of seeing if I could. I have also done the hand slap onto a wall or hard edge trick as a means of opening the same but you can damage the bottle that way and it's to be done cautiously.

What we need is videos! ;):)

Send me some bottled beer then. I've one tin of bitter/ale left and that'll be gone tonight ha ha. :D

I've only got a Pin of First Gold. :)