Good Squat For A 14 Year Old?

TheProphecy

I'm 14, 5'9 and 140lbs, what do you think would be a good squat for me? I squat 185 1/2 raw. :rock

Any squat which is more then your previous best is a good squat! ;)

At your age, focus on proper technique is more important than what weight you can squat. But assuming your technique is good, I'd say 225 is a reasonable goal to shoot for. Squats can go up fast with good training, esp. when you are young.

-Rex

What they said. Especially Rex's bit about the proper technique focus. Learn PERFECT technique and just keep training and the weight will go up.

What they said. Especially Rex's bit about the proper technique focus. Learn PERFECT technique and just keep training and the weight will go up.

well i spread my legs apart about a foot, and i go below parallel..

The amount of weight used is going to vary also with the type of squat you do. The sit back powerlifting style squat is designed to use the largest number of muscle groups with the sole purpose of lifting more weight. The more upright and deeper Olympic style squat is a more balanced front to rear style and while large weights can be lifted in this style, it isn't optimal if a max poundage is the only goal. At your age, development is more important than the weight used - I would recommend a balanced approach - perhaps starting out with a light and deep (rock bottom if possible) Olympic squat to develop the flexibility to assume proper positions as you grow in size and strength. What are your goals - that will help you decide as well. Definitely try to do an overhead squat with just a light bar - if this is difficult (or impossible) - you certainly should work until you can achieve the proper positions to do it. Lifting is a life long pursuit - what you lift at 14 isn't really important - how you lift at 14 is.

i would really pay attention to what Climber says. He's been at it for 50 years and is stronger than both of us and probably still hurts less than both of us. lol

The amount of weight used is going to vary also with the type of squat you do. The sit back powerlifting style squat is designed to use the largest number of muscle groups with the sole purpose of lifting more weight. The more upright and deeper Olympic style squat is a more balanced front to rear style and while large weights can be lifted in this style, it isn't optimal if a max poundage is the only goal. At your age, development is more important than the weight used - I would recommend a balanced approach - perhaps starting out with a light and deep (rock bottom if possible) Olympic squat to develop the flexibility to assume proper positions as you grow in size and strength. What are your goals - that will help you decide as well. Definitely try to do an overhead squat with just a light bar - if this is difficult (or impossible) - you certainly should work until you can achieve the proper positions to do it. Lifting is a life long pursuit - what you lift at 14 isn't really important - how you lift at 14 is.

What he said. Front squatting is also a great option. Drill the form. If you really want to see what others are doing check out your states powerlifting meet records. But as has been said this is a very individual sport. Beating your previous PR is much more rewarding than comparing to others lifts IMHO.

btw climber, i need to try the overhead squat, is it where you do an overhead press with the bar, then keep it at the top, then squat?

I believe its called a "Sots" Press if I am not mistaken. They are very tough, but one of my favorite exercises!!!

btw climber, i need to try the overhead squat, is it where you do an overhead press with the bar, then keep it at the top, then squat?
I believe its called a "Sots" Press if I am not mistaken. They are very tough, but one of my favorite exercises!!!

Is there an unusual exercise you don't love, Carl? ;)