One Hand Deadlift Records

tricker383

Hello Im Rick been into lifting for a few months now and im rather hooked I may say.

But I have a question, What are the records for one hand deadlifts. Ie I lifted to full deadlift 300Lbs to full deadlift on my right and 270Lbs on my left.

Im unaware of the records for one hand deads and It would be great to have some thing to compare against.

Hi Rick,

it's a little difficult to fully decide that ;

First one must know if the deadlift was done on a cambered or on a straight bar, that makes a great difference because

a cambered one has no rollout effect against your fingergrip, if so, the bar would have to lift the plates up against a torsion.

Second, a thicker bar makes a great difference too because one is usually not able to wrap the fingers around it.

The greatest one hand deadlift of all time was done in my opinion by the german strongman Hermann Goerner (1891-1965),

who liftet 727lb (330K) on a straight olympic bar of about 1 1/16" diameter. He lifted this weight with one hand with regular overgrip

to full lockout. David Horne, gripmaster from Britain, liftet a little more with 335K, but he moved the weight only through very little distance.

The bad thing about Goerner is that his lift can not be fully verified because it lacks eyewitnesses. His best official lift was 602lb (271K)

whilst being in England, but it is pretty certain that this lift didn't represent his full performance capability by any means as he was easily

able to throw 50lb more on the bar and still do a OH deadlift without bracing his left hand on his left knee.

By the way, I guess the 300lb is more than your bodyweight ? Very good lift mate.

best regards, Volko

Hi Rick,

it's a little difficult to fully decide that ;

First one must know if the deadlift was done on a cambered or on a straight bar, that makes a great difference because

a cambered one has no rollout effect against your fingergrip, if so, the bar would have to lift the plates up against a torsion.

Second, a thicker bar makes a great difference too because one is usually not able to wrap the fingers around it.

The greatest one hand deadlift of all time was done in my opinion by the german strongman Hermann Goerner (1891-1965),

who liftet 727lb (330K) on a straight olympic bar of about 1 1/16" diameter. He lifted this weight with one hand with regular overgrip

to full lockout. David Horne, gripmaster from Britain, liftet a little more with 335K, but he moved the weight only through very little distance.

The bad thing about Goerner is that his lift can not be fully verified because it lacks eyewitnesses. His best official lift was 602lb (271K)

whilst being in England, but it is pretty certain that this lift didn't represent his full performance capability by any means as he was easily

able to throw 50lb more on the bar and still do a OH deadlift without bracing his left hand on his left knee.

By the way, I guess the 300lb is more than your bodyweight ? Very good lift mate.

best regards, Volko

My guess is that Hermann Goerner used a hookgrip, and David's 335kg was a one hand lift, not a one hand deadlift. There's a huge difference between those two ;)

I can't remember where the link was, but I thought the record for a non-hook oly bar lift was something like 450-470 lbs.

Hello Im Rick been into lifting for a few months now and im rather hooked I may say.

But I have a question, What are the records for one hand deadlifts. Ie I lifted to full deadlift 300Lbs to full deadlift on my right and 270Lbs on my left.

Im unaware of the records for one hand deads and It would be great to have some thing to compare against.

Rick

One hand deadlift of 300 from floor to lock out is a very good lift. Dont sweat what others tell you, everyone wants to run around with rulers and measuring sticks these days. Apparently nothing anyone accomplishes matters unless it happens in a sanctioned grip contest in someones back yard...

Well okay I know what people have done and what has been achieved my goal is to break the 350kg mark, If it takes one year or 10 I plan on surpassing it :)

Im 17, 6ft tall and weigh 180lbs give or take so it was quite alot over my body weight

Thanks for the replys and the helpfull and encourging comments I appreiciate them thanks :)

Expect videos soon :)

Edited by tricker383

Rick

One hand deadlift of 300 from floor to lock out is a very good lift. Dont sweat what others tell you, everyone wants to run around with rulers and measuring sticks these days. Apparently nothing anyone accomplishes matters unless it happens in a sanctioned grip contest in someones back yard...

Im glad Im not the only one who's bothered by that

You are far from the only one :dry.

I can't remember where the link was, but I thought the record for a non-hook oly bar lift was something like 450-470 lbs.

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/historyarticle7.html

That's probably the link you mean ;)

That's not what I was thinking of, but I do give those numbers a bit more credence.

It was after Mark Felix did 474 using a hook grip.

Well okay I know what people have done and what has been achieved my goal is to break the 350kg mark, If it takes one year or 10 I plan on surpassing it :)

Im 17, 6ft tall and weigh 180lbs give or take so it was quite alot over my body weight

Thanks for the replys and the helpfull and encourging comments I appreiciate them thanks :)

Do you mean 350 lbs? Because 350kg would be ABSURD!!!! Unless you're talking about 1 hand lift not 1HDL?

Do you mean 350 lbs? Because 350kg would be ABSURD!!!! Unless you're talking about 1 hand lift not 1HDL?

Here we go again :D

350lbs on the one hand lift is easy, 350kg is humanly possible.

350lbs on the one hand deadlift is impressive, 350kg (without hookgrip) is impossible for the next 100 years or so ;)

Goerner had to have used a hook grip. Also, my guess is the bar was kinked and/or had quite a bit of play in it, offsetting a lot of the rotation. Still a monsterous lift, still don't think anyone out there right now will be duplicating it given Mark Felix wasn't even close, but no hook grip and a legit bar....nahhhh

For those with the problem with rulers etc... that started here. You are fully aware of GB rules regarding claims and so on. Deal with it. If you forget how it came about... people lied.

Secondly check the USAWA/IAWA sites for some One hand deadlift lifts. David Horne has variations on his. I recently tested my hook gripped one hand deadlift and did 180-kilos / 396lbs with either hand.

Okay right i did mean 350kg because one of the records was 335kg (i think)

And I dont know what the other grips are. all I do is grab it over hand and deadlift it :)

My issue is when i continue to see weak people claiming how the strong "couldn't do that (insert what ever that is)" simply because they did not something at a contest.

Steve you have accomplished a ton of things so far in your life, would you allow someone who cannot do one thing you can do to say that because you did not do something at a contest that it never happened? Soon the weak here will be bagging on all the top guys when you stop posting this or that. Its a cultural thing i see and its obnoxious beyond belief. the base line statement made is that no one has any integrity but a camcorder fixes the problem. your WORD as a man means nothing, but YOUTUBE means things are 2x2 and tip top.

As far as claims-I have seen some outrageous claims made in our strength and power forum that will never get backed up, no one questioned them-but guys are bagging on everyone who is not here to defend themselves.

I am getting way off track here on Ricks post

Rick if your deadlifting 300KG then you need to get out and show the world because that would be super human strong, if your one hand lifting over 300, its good and you have tons of room for improvement. It really would be of benefit for you to sumbit a video because we have some first class one deadlifters such as Steve and David Horne and i am sure they would give you pointers on form. Stay strong bro.

I've done 330-kilos to a greater height than David Horne and currently have the total record too (630 made of a 300 left and a 330 right).

My issue is when i continue to see weak people claiming how the strong "couldn't do that (insert what ever that is)" simply because they did not something at a contest.

Steve you have accomplished a ton of things so far in your life, would you allow someone who cannot do one thing you can do to say that because you did not do something at a contest that it never happened? Soon the weak here will be bagging on all the top guys when you stop posting this or that. Its a cultural thing i see and its obnoxious beyond belief. the base line statement made is that no one has any integrity but a camcorder fixes the problem. your WORD as a man means nothing, but YOUTUBE means things are 2x2 and tip top.

As far as claims-I have seen some outrageous claims made in our strength and power forum that will never get backed up, no one questioned them-but guys are bagging on everyone who is not here to defend themselves.

Rick if your deadlifting 300KG then you need to get out and show the world because that would be super human strong, if your one hand lifting over 300, its good and you have tons of room for improvement. It really would be of benefit for you to sumbit a video because we have some first class one deadlifters such as Steve and David Horne and i am sure they would give you pointers on form. Stay strong bro.

Try submit.

Anyway that might have been the intent of what you intended saying but from the original post and Rick's (still a good guy) later post that wasn't how it read.

Rick was, I'm not if he still is, a competitive power lifter with lifts and records a matter of merely checking the fed he lifted in and their record books and I'd be quite happy to accept his pulling 300kg/660lbs two handed. But as has been made clear in the past we must avoid any claimed lifts that come without a lack of proof. You even provide an idea as to why. 300lbs, as Rick apparently claims, is not an excessive number. That said Rick was never the biggest of guys and so proportionate to his usual bodyweight it should be considered good.

The same rules, if you like, should be applied to guys coming on ANY site and making grand statements (I've been guilty of this) as to what they will do in some distant future when they have yet to set a single foot on the road to anything like the numbers they are pre-claiming. So I'll wait until the 350-kilo someone mentioned gets pulled in the gym, then on video and finally yes on the platform.

Okay right i did mean 350kg because one of the records was 335kg (i think)

And I dont know what the other grips are. all I do is grab it over hand and deadlift it :)

Ok I still need clarification, if you're talking about on an Olympic Bar from the floor then that would be about Double the World Record, the record of 330kg is for a one hand lift like this

done from an elevated ROM with only a couple inches ROM.

I have got quite confused.

I have been lifting for a hobby for a few months now

Im quite confused myself il explain I seem to have combined something. Im pretty sure I deadlifted the weight as i had to lock out my back and i used a hook grip, Ih ave looked at a few technique videos online and im sure that is how i lifted it. But i could of used my legs im not sure I will go downstaires into my gym I will deadlift/lift a weight close to what I stated and you choose if it was deadlift or not as im confused LOL

Yes, it's almost as obnoxious as people claiming stuff that never happened.

May I present Mr Kim 'My word is bond' Wood as one of the prime reasons why video gets it's status. Feel free to search this very site for evidence.

Good lift!! I think when they are talking about the 1hdl on here they are talking about useing a rotationg olympic or power lifting bar. The rotation of the bar changes the lift tons. I have never used a standard bar but I am guessing it cuts down on the rotation a bunch. Also if you use cambered bar you can do much more weight. I have done 265 on my texas power bar and here is a video with my cambered bar no hook.

The video of Steve that was posted is a one hand lift almost like a one hand hand and thigh lift. Very different than the 1hdl , but still a contested lift and you are able to do much more weight.

This is me one arm deadlifting 100kg. I think its a deadlift I dont use my legs only my back

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=waITmoarcKw

That's a one arm deadlift, you can also straddle the bar.

How does the 100kg breakdown?

I've tried to work it various ways, even taking a still from the vid and working the dims. and weight from there.(double checked and erring on the generous)

I make it 5x5kg+10kg+collars each end of a 1.2m solid inch bar((4.75kg)7.5kg for 1.25" bar) making between 74kg-80kg(top and bottom parameters), just wondering where the extra 20kg-25kg is coming from?

May I present Mr Kim 'My word is bond' Wood as one of the prime reasons why video gets it's status. Feel free to search this very site for evidence.

Point well taken on that one.

I dont want to sound like I am bitching here. For example-Steve if you say you pull something off the ground, I dont need a video, because i know you would not put your self out too look mickey mouse with a false thing. You said its good, so its good.

I think the majority of people are honest and would not lie, i think the lies we have seen as a community are a small minority. I am just annoyed to see every person shot at until they can "produce proof" and i would like to think your honest and good to go until you prove other wise. maybe i am wrong :(

Edited by SSGGLASS