The Blob Challenge

vikingsrule92

Jedd, The 53Lb. 10 oz monster you have is a bit shy of the certified Us Post office weight we got on the other half of the Fatman Original Blob it was exactly 53lb 13.60 0z (53.85lb) I often wondered just how much over York casted some of the old ones. Bob Hoffman owner of York Barbell often said at York sponsored meets "We always give you a bit extra"....I guess he meant it! I have never weighed a York Blob made from an old 100 that weighed under 50 either.RS

Good point Richard. We weighed this heavy one I mentioned on a post office scale as well, so you still have the heaviest one.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vikingsrule92

• The Natural

• stew2

• Jedd Johnson

I've lifted a lot of fatboy blobs, replica blobs and blob 50's. They all feel pretty similar to me these days.

I've lifted a lot of fatboy blobs, replica blobs and blob 50's. They all feel pretty similar to me these days.

i cant remember when i joind the board some 4 1/2 years ago if you were lifting the blob easily then .you can fill me in about that but after sticking with it all this time i see you do it very easy you were one of the examples i had in mind when i sad that when you get that good at blocks it doesn't matter i was thinking of you as an example . keep up the good work

Well if people would quit caking the blob in salt and seasoning it outside for a year I guess we wouldn't have to worry about this now would we? In my opinion the proper way to season a blob is to lift it.

I didn't know that is what I was supposed to be doing. Mine sets inside the house 5' from a dehumidifier doesn't seem to do much for making it rougher :D . Really though if guys are doing this alot the old saying is you can't fool yourself or at least my saying is that, they're only lieing to themselves when they get the takcy and all the other tricks behind the cutians . Everybody really kinda already knows who can really do what so I'm okay with letting it be a little more relaxed on the rules for just some razing between the guys but if we're going for records rules should stick calibrated everything and video.My 1 1/2 cents

Well if people would quit caking the blob in salt and seasoning it outside for a year I guess we wouldn't have to worry about this now would we? In my opinion the proper way to season a blob is to lift it.

I didn't know that is what I was supposed to be doing. Mine sets inside the house 5' from a dehumidifier doesn't seem to do much for making it rougher :D . Really though if guys are doing this alot the old saying is you can't fool yourself or at least my saying is that, they're only lieing to themselves when they get the takcy and all the other tricks behind the cutians . Everybody really kinda already knows who can really do what so I'm okay with letting it be a little more relaxed on the rules for just some razing between the guys but if we're going for records rules should stick calibrated everything and video.My 1 1/2 cents

I heard you OH boys were masters at salt curing the blobs

The blob is a blob is a blob.

No sense in splitting the hair on a gnat's balls over the lift. Mr. Sorin, with all respect, you have originated the lift but there are many guys out there training hard to equal or better what you have done. The BLOB50 has been out for some time.

I hope blobs don't become like grippers- ie as time goes on the rules need to get stricter and stricter cause too many people are doing the feat. Standards change and people get stronger, this will happen.

I am lucky enough to have a blob that somebody painted extra slick above and beyond the original finish.

No sense in splitting the hair on a gnat's balls over the lift. Mr. Sorin, with all respect, you have originated the lift but there are many guys out there training hard to equal or better what you have done. The BLOB50 has been out for some time.

I hope blobs don't become like grippers- ie as time goes on the rules need to get stricter and stricter cause too many people are doing the feat. Standards change and people get stronger, this will happen.

I am lucky enough to have a blob that somebody painted extra slick above and beyond the original finish.

A blob isn't a blob and your post seems anything but respectful to Richard. If you want to compare apples to apples you can only do that by lifting the same blob on the same day. No different than any strength sport.

Edited by Wade Gillingham

A blob isn't a blob and your post seems anything but respectful to Richard. If you want to compare apples to apples you can only do that by lifting the same blob on the same day. No different than any strength sport.

Definitely.

What's a blob then?

Are you saying the only real blob is the one that Richard has?

What's a blob then?

No, he's just saying Blobs aren't homogenous, and you can't 100% accurately cross compare Blob #s, but they're fairly close as long as they're all standard Blobs.

What's a blob then?

Agree with Powerhouse. Are we going to apply this to everything in grip? Only 2HP records set on David's personal set-up count. Only those certing on the #3 Richard used, are 3 closers. Only those that lift the Original Inch can claim to lift it and everyone who has never let anyone touch their blob has the WR on it by this logic. Come on.... ;)

I agree that some blobs are certainly harder than others but not counting blob50 lifts as blob lifts is ridiculous. This isn't hard stuff; it was cast from a York 50(nonfatman,nonlegacy), it has a different embossment, other than that it IS the same. The surface of it will be rougher than some Yorks and smoother than others. All you people that are upset because it took you years to hunt down a York and then you paid a forturne. TFB. Thanks to Gordon V., the peoples' blob is here, so get over it.

Edited by jad

Perhaps, next time I get some cash together, Mr Sorin(or someone) would bring the FatMan over to th UK and I can start replicating Fatman Blobs in the same way GordonV is reproducing regular Blobs?

Or they (someone) can get it to my mann Pete in Bristol,CT, and he can bring it in his luggage?

What's a blob then?

Agree with Powerhouse. Are we going to apply this to everything in grip? Only 2HP records set on David's personal set-up count. Only those certing on the #3 Richard used, are 3 closers. Only those that lift the Original Inch can claim to lift it and everyone who has never let anyone touch their blob has the WR on it by this logic. Come on.... ;)

I agree that some blobs are certainly harder than others but not counting blob50 lifts as blob lifts is ridiculous. This isn't hard stuff; it was cast from a York 50(nonfatman,nonlegacy), it has a different embossment, other than that it IS the same. The surface of it will be rougher than some Yorks and smoother than others. All you people that are upset because it took you years to hunt down a York and then you paid a forturne. TFB. Thanks to Gordon V., the peoples' blob is here, so get over it.

I interpreted Wade's comment a little differently but you're absolutely right Josh. There is no way to efficiently and utterly completely standardize Blob lifts, but Blobs are close enough to each other that it really doesn't matter. Obviously Fatmans are harder and Legacys are easier, but that's why these two aren't included on this list and they're widely agreed upon on there difficulty in comparison to a standard blob.

Wade's comment, I take it, is directed at those who wish to interpret the blob list Derek is forming as a precise ranking of gripsters' max effort blob strength. Because texture varies quite a bit, a very strong man with access only to a tough blob could be outranked on the list by a weaker man who has access to an easy blob. This is in fact likely to happen, as this board is over-run with grip nerds who tinker with equipment as a way of compensating for their weakness.

Of course, the list will be a rough indicator of max effort blob strength. The person who can do blob plus 20 is far stronger than someone who can only do blob plus 5, even ignoring variances. (You won't find a blob the surface of which makes 15 pounds of difference).

If the idea is to compare max effort blob strength in a precise way, then using the same blob in a competition of blob plus weight is the best way.

So, bottom line, nobody should take the list to be something that it's not.

On the flip side, I think it would be interesting to hear what Wade has to say about how these remarks apply to his 'world record' blob feats. If someone beat Wade's blob plus weight world record, but used a different blob than the one Wade used to set the record, then Wade would (if I've got him right) have to question the WR attempt. After all, the challenger might just be using an easier blob than the one Wade used. (It would be like someone trying to break an IPF world DL record using an Okie bar). But it seems everyone should have the right to take a shot at the record, as long as Wade is touting the feat as a world record. Nobody should have to fly to Jackal's Gym to make a WR attempt.

What do you think Wade? Regarding your world record blob lifts, do you insist on the same level of strictness you're holding us to on this thread?

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Wade's comment, I take it, is directed at those who wish to interpret the blob list Derek is forming as a precise ranking of gripsters' max effort blob strength. Because texture varies quite a bit, a very strong man with access only to a tough blob could be outranked on the list by a weaker man who has access to an easy blob. This is in fact likely to happen, as this board is over-run with grip nerds who tinker with equipment as a way of compensating for their weakness.

Of course, the list will be a rough indicator of max effort blob strength. The person who can do blob plus 20 is far stronger than someone who can only do blob plus 5, even ignoring variances. (You won't find a blob the surface of which makes 15 pounds of difference).

If the idea is to compare max effort blob strength in a precise way, then using the same blob in a competition of blob plus weight is the best way.

So, bottom line, nobody should take the list to be something that it's not.

On the flip side, I think it would be interesting to hear what Wade has to say about how these remarks apply to his 'world record' blob feats. If someone beat Wade's blob plus weight world record, but used a different blob than the one Wade used to set the record, then Wade would (if I've got him right) have to question the WR attempt. After all, the challenger might just be using an easier blob than the one Wade used. (It would be like someone trying to break an IPF world DL record using an Okie bar). But it seems everyone should have the right to take a shot at the record, as long as Wade is touting the feat as a world record. Nobody should have to fly to Jackal's Gym to make a WR attempt.

What do you think Wade? Regarding your world record blob lifts, do you insist on the same level of strictness you're holding us to on this thread?

-Rex

And to really throw a curveball; does Wade have the WR since it wasn't set on Richard's O-blob?

This opens a huge can of worms so to speak. Especially regarding friction lifts of any kind - there are so many variables as to make only one thing truly viable. Same implement - same day etc - best man wins (sounds a lot like a contest, doesn't it?). Other than the practical aspects of that, it just isn't going to ever happen that way. Besides the implement differences, which can be huge or practically none - humidity, cleanliness, temperature, texture etc etc all can make quite a difference. This probably has about the same amount of variability as #3 grippers do - which means that like almost every dog - gone thing we all do it's all over the place. Grippers vary - steel varies - Blobs vary - hey, Inch Dumbbel replicas don't even have the correct handle size to make them a replica at all. All these things are excellent feats of strength - if you want to carry it to much more of an extreme than that - you will need a better measuring process where perhaps the same exact implement is passed around for testing. Good Luck with getting Richard to send you his Blob :D .

We like lists - and I think working to achieve a place on one is a good (no great) motivator but as Rex said - don't make something out of it that it is not. Lifting Blob A with 10 pounds added doesn't mean you can lift Blob B with nothing added or vice versa.

This opens a huge can of worms so to speak. Especially regarding friction lifts of any kind - there are so many variables as to make only one thing truly viable. Same implement - same day etc - best man wins (sounds a lot like a contest, doesn't it?). Other than the practical aspects of that, it just isn't going to ever happen that way. Besides the implement differences, which can be huge or practically none - humidity, cleanliness, temperature, texture etc etc all can make quite a difference. This probably has about the same amount of variability as #3 grippers do - which means that like almost every dog - gone thing we all do it's all over the place. Grippers vary - steel varies - Blobs vary - hey, Inch Dumbbel replicas don't even have the correct handle size to make them a replica at all. All these things are excellent feats of strength - if you want to carry it to much more of an extreme than that - you will need a better measuring process where perhaps the same exact implement is passed around for testing. Good Luck with getting Richard to send you his Blob :D .

We like lists - and I think working to achieve a place on one is a good (no great) motivator but as Rex said - don't make something out of it that it is not. Lifting Blob A with 10 pounds added doesn't mean you can lift Blob B with nothing added or vice versa.

Second that couldn't of siad it better(coarse who could it's Chris :D )I have been watching this and the hub thread. I just posted a vid tonight on it stating the fact I used an easier hub so as to be closer to the other hubs being used for the list by other guys. It's just a list not a world record if we're going for that then we need to get all the variables under control we can and point them out.Then come up with one piece of standardized equipment and throw it into a contest where it can be judged by neutral parties just like we're attempting to do with pinch, v-bar , grippers and a few others. Take the top guys put them side by side on the same piece and you'll know who's best even wtih humidity, temp and all the other things that can affect it. Ohterwise it's just a list of guys messing around with what they can do with what they have to do it with and if they lift something and start saying it is" world record" or "world class" they can have the chance to put it up aginast what ever standard people come up with. Till then just lift it , have fun and don't drop it on your feet.

Edited by stew2

971 hits, 67 replies and not one lift for the Blob challenge :rolleyes ................ this is actually the "Best argument" challenge :laugh

971 hits, 67 replies and not one lift for the Blob challenge :rolleyes ................ this is actually the "Best argument" challenge :laugh

Heck I'm just happy the days I lift it by itself :D .Let alone adding weight for the cahallenge!

Edited by stew2

Seriously. I set the rules, I've made the rules. I don't mean to be mean but I see no point in arguing over what the rules should be when my rules are as fair as possible without a completely standardized Blob we ship around and have people attempt (clearly not going to happen). Let's get to the big lifts people!!!! :rock :rock

I think most of the guys who get on this Blob list are not afraid to put their strength on the line and try out other guy's blobs when the opportunity arises.

Surely the guys on this list have a good sense of reality when it comes to who they are stronger than or not. If I suddenly find a 50lb Blob that I can add more weight to than Wade did...that'll make me question my Blob, not whether or not I'm stronger than Wade. It's possible for someone to become stronger than Wade of course. But if it's something that happens overnight, or it's an unknown name, then chances are it's a fluke or not the same feat.

Anyone who has lifted a few Blobs knows that there are variances in them. I have attempted Josh's slick 50. And I don't think I even got a fraction of air with it. Guess that means I'm not a Blob lifter then. Same thing with #3s. There are a few #3s out there that even the legends of grip would be hard-pressed to close. Guess that means they're not #3 closers also. And neither am I, because there are two that I can think of that I haven't been able to close on multiple attempts. One was Al Myer's #3 hanging on his wall in (Abilene?) KS. I had smashed the MM2 for a double only a handful of months before attempting that #3 and I failed on probably a half dozen attempts. Then I got to witness Matt Graham walk up and barely set it and murder it. The other #3 is Jason's Payne's 190+ #3.

So to summarize, I am a Blob lifter, but have only lifted a few. I have no doubts that Richard Sorin, Wade, Chad, Rex, Aaron, Josh, Dave, Jedd, and all you other monster Blob lifters are just plain stronger than I am. I think most Blob lifters know their place in the food chain of grip-when compared to the Blob dominators. They have the drive to move up the food chain though, and this list is a good way to go about achieving that goal, in my opinion.

Contest settings are still one of the best ways to keep someone honest. If I claim to be a Blob lifter and yet can't budge a Blob (assuming it's not a freakishly hard one) at a contest, that'll make me look pretty ridiculous and may make others question my integrity and strength.

Nice list Derek! :rock The guys that don't like it sure don't have to read it or follow the topic.

Normally I don't post on public forums - it's really not worth my time. I did post this time because I was interested in the thread and I was sufficiently pissed off at Rex's comments about paint removal being ok. It's not the first time I read this on this forum about blobs or other grip devices. I don't think this is ok if you are going to claim some kind of grip feat with that blob whether it's lifting it for the first time or lifting it with a 45 pound plate on it. So since this is a challenge don't be delibrately modifying the surface of your blob to lift more and claim it - that's bullshit - plain and simple. If we start this practice where does it stop (look at powerlifting gear for an example of a direction not to go). If you do it to practice I could care less - just put an asterik in your log book and any claims to greatness you make. I have an Ironmind hub that I put white athletic tape on so I could effectively train with it. I lifted 90 pounds total weight on it 3 weeks ago weighed on a Toledo freight scale, using proper technique - the second time I have lifted it in about 5 years. I doubt anyone else has ever done this but I don't claim this as some record because I chose to alter the equipment. But if you want to challenge me on my taped up IM hub you are welcome to fly to the prairies of Minnesota to do that - please come on a wednesday night if possible.

No I don't think only fat blobs count but I do think it is a different (harder) feat of strength to lift a fat heavy blob than to lift a blob50 or the easier yorks, especially if that blob is a Sorin signature edition. I have had the pleasure to lift two of these and it was great to lift them because my motivation to lift blobs goes back to Milo magazine and the article(s) about Richard and John Brookfield going back and forth on this feat of strength. When I finally had a chance to see the Sorin signed blob at Safe USA I think my ability to lift it was bolstered by my determination to be a part of history and several years of this "blob" thing bouncing around in my head and just knowing I could do it when I finally saw one. After about 30 attempts that day I did lift it to become the 4th man ever.

My 75.5lb lift was on the same blob I use in the GNC booth (actually the second half of it that was lost somewhere between Atlanta and Minnesota). Most of you that are serious know what the shape of this one is ("easy") and what the surface is (slick). I actually have never lifted this much on the blobs I currently train with that have a better texture but aren't as good to grip if everything is perfect (serious blob guys know what I mean). I did do 5 singles with 70 last monday and 8 singles with 70 last wednesday plus cracked 76 off the ground a couple times and some holds/negatives with 82 before splitting my thumb open, so I am capable of doing over 75.5 with proper rest and preparation/motivation.

Finally I also posted because I didn't agree with Bob Lipinski's comment to Richard. A blob isn't a blob - do we have to go through this again? Richard can defend what he meant if he chooses to. My point is clear. Whether it's fat, skinny, light, heavy, rusted, or slick, it is a blob but they are all different to lift, so don't minimize this by saying a blob is a blob. I never said blob50's don't count or that anything but fat blobs count - I'm just saying a blob isn't a blob - they are different. For this challenge thread lift on whatever you want - I don't care. But if we want to really compare blob lifting we would have to do it on the same blob, same day - this is obvious and was my point.

Hopefully this is clear now.

Wade

1. Thank you for posting your lifts - truly impressive - well kind of spooky strong actually!

2. I understand your reluctance to post often on the forums

3. Your strength is a combination of your perhaps better than average genetics and a lifetime of smart and hard training

3a - Not much we can do about the genes but your training knowledge is no doubt exceptional as well, and I for one would love to know what methods you have used over the years than you might consider as the better bread and butter routines you could share for grip strength development. I always enjoy learning what others have done that has worked to develop exceptional strength - even if it's nothing more than what I and many of us do - it would be of interest.

4. Someday when you're on the forum - please consider this request.

There's no way I'm paying $500+ to get one-half of a york to make some people feel better about it.