The Blob Challenge

vikingsrule92

Guys, this is getting RIDICULOUS. It's a blob+weight max lift. Just lift your blob+plates, no need for calibration or all that bull unless you really care to have it listed in pounds and ounces with it's kg conversion in a Dale Harder book and on Gripboard. In which case, have at it because I love those Harder books. As an online challenge, just do a blob+weight. Don't start dictating where the hand needs to be, that's a slippery slope. Don't over think it.

The point is to know who's the best, not who may be the best, assuming the plates were not light.

It's a status lift. The king of the hill should have the right to be certain he's the best. So at least calibrations should be required for the WR.

-Rex

That's exactly how the 2HP is contested and I have no problems with that. If someone lifts 190 or 200 on the 2HP does anyone cry out for calibrations? No, they expect a precise weight, accuracy isn't not so much an issue. With WR, accuracy becomes imperitave and so precise and accurate calibrations are needed. With the blob+weight, as it stands, 75 is the # to beat. If your doing 70+, calibrate it, please. At least weigh it on video and/or with witnesses.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vikingsrule92

• The Natural

• stew2

• Jedd Johnson

Wade, it seems like your comment is directed at me.

I did leave one of mine outside for quite some time. (I have 3) I left it outside over the winter and it became slick and glassy, and is the toughest one I have to lift.

No, it was in response to Rex's post about paint removal, but really not directed at anyone except those that "season" their equipment to make it easier then claim big lifts. I didn't know you did that anyway so relax. I was actually supporting your point about differing surfaces because it is valid.

Dang, at this point, I just really wanna find a blob :(

ditto.

but i think the only way to get a supremely standardized lift for everyone equally, is to use 1 blob, and 1 apparatus with the exact same plates everyone uses.

ditto.

but i think the only way to get a supremely standardized lift for everyone equally, is to use 1 blob, and 1 apparatus with the exact same plates everyone uses.

Not much a problem if the lift was contested regularly, but it isn't. It's a solid and reasonable solution, but an inconvenient one and impractical. Let everyone use the blobs they will, if there are any questions, we shall deal with them accordingly by asking for more proof. If that proof is denied, the lift shall also be denied.

ditto.

Not much a problem if the lift was contested regularly, but it isn't. It's a solid and reasonable solution, but an inconvenient one and impractical. Let everyone use the blobs they will, if there are any questions, we shall deal with them accordingly by asking for more proof. If that proof is denied, the lift shall also be denied.

i agree, but i figured i'd just give them a more simple idea if they really wanted it to be super strict. i think anybody who can lift a hunk of metal like that is strong, no matter if it's 49lbs, 50lbs or 51lbs or whatever, it's still a huge piece of metal.

ditto.

Which is impossible with this lift, or damn near so to say the least.

So what's the idea? Calibration for only WR? Only 20 over? Only 10 over? Please make a simple post where you state what you believe on this and I'll decide by votes.

I vote 10 over blob and plates calibrated, because that's really world class territory.

Edited by vikingsrule92

EDIT: Nevermind...and wow, 3 of us posted at the exact same time :D

Edited by Magnus

Derek, if you insist on a set rule, just make it top 3 require calibrations. All the rest will follow.

Wade, it seems like your comment is directed at me.

I did leave one of mine outside for quite some time. (I have 3) I left it outside over the winter and it became slick and glassy, and is the toughest one I have to lift.

No, it was in response to Rex's post about paint removal, but really not directed at anyone except those that "season" their equipment to make it easier then claim big lifts. I didn't know you did that anyway so relax. I was actually supporting your point about differing surfaces because it is valid.

Wade has got me there. I recently left one of my Blobs outside in the Georgia rain for a few days. But it was due to laziness, not a desire to cheat (the sled got left behind too). I was always the kid who left dad's tools out in the rain, and it seems I never learned my lesson, despite one whipping after another.

-Rex

Derek, if you insist on a set rule, just make it top 3 require calibrations. All the rest will follow.

Fair enough, and if this list expands enough I will change it to top 5.

Here are the rules, not particularly set in stone yet:

1. Must be a York 50 lb. Blob or Blob50 (Legacy Blobs and other replicas are not allowed)

2. Chalk is the only grip aid allowed

3. Must be lifted to full lockout (back must be locked out but not shoulders)

4. A string, wire, or similar may be used for adding weight, it must be equally loaded on both sides

5. No Bracing of any kind (hand, blob, forearm, and wrist may NOT touch any part of the body)

6. Video evidence is required for all lifts

7. Must be lifted by top part of Blob, you may choose which side for your thumb and fingers

8. No tampering with the Blobs of any kind aside from removing paint

9. From hence forward anything to qualify in the Top 3 must be a calibrated Blob and weights

10. Minimal tilt is allowed

11. Lift must have a controlled descent

Edited by vikingsrule92

And here is the top of the list with VIDEO evidence that I have found:

1. Jedd Johnson: 70

2. Chris Mathison: 67

3. Rex Hubbard: 65

4. Aaron Corcorran: 60

5. Derek Graybill: 55

Post any videos here with your full name and I will add you to the list.

rules look good to me, but I still think that every thing needs to be calibrated regardless of the placing (top 3 or not) the fact that some of the gripboard certs are a little loose shouldn't mean that it should continue that way - the bar is suppose to rise not remain the same. Not much that anyone could do about the texture, but still a very valid point - my suggestion: if you have multiple Blobs, use the one that feels easiest to you - point blank. You could even go as far to say that different Euro devices are easier than others because of texture too, but that would be ridiculous - do your best with what you have. Its not hard to calibrate your weights - don't be lazy, you only have to do it once. I also don't see how rule ten could be enforced - that could get dicey. I'm anxious to see how everyone does - you gonna start busting out some serious lifts again Wade?

seems llike everyone is telling like it is in this thread, so I thought I'd jump in :laugh

Edited by Paul Knight

Paul, rule 10 is simple to insure that no John Eaton like blob scoops are allowed for those with psycho strong wrists. No one will be disqualified for anything reasonable.

vikingsrule92: I seem to recall Richard Sorin posting a video of him lifting a blob + 24.5 pounds? This was recently, maybe a couple of months ago. I think he also put a blob snatch video in that post.

Gentlemen,Thanks for recalling my posted video of the York Blob +24 AND a two finger snatch with it as well.Respectfully, I think my thoughts need to be considered when "rules" are made for something I named, created and developed. I leave all Blobs in the same condition( the 60 or so we have have original paint/wear except 2) as I get them finish- wise and weigh and plainly mark each one. I have never seen in person or used a blob 50 but, without telling what was used as a "master"by those who copied it (the pictures I have seen reflect a distinctly flatter side) I do not personally accept any lifts purported to be "equal" to an original York other than as a training device. As stated a bunch of times before it( A Blob) IS only 50 lbs and the shape is EVERYTHING in this particular lift So,if you want to be part of a special list or "thing" take your time, get a real York Blob,weigh it, dont mess with the finish, AND then lift it. Richard Sorin

Well if people would quit caking the blob in salt and seasoning it outside for a year I guess we wouldn't have to worry about this now would we? In my opinion the proper way to season a blob is to lift it.

Yup we just lift on ours and they get nice and seasoned. I just take a wire brush every few months and clean it off. Works great for me.

Gentlemen,Thanks for recalling my posted video of the York Blob +24 AND a two finger snatch with it as well.Respectfully, I think my thoughts need to be considered when "rules" are made for something I named, created and developed. I leave all Blobs in the same condition( the 60 or so we have have original paint/wear except 2) as I get them finish- wise and weigh and plainly mark each one. I have never seen in person or used a blob 50 but, without telling what was used as a "master"by those who copied it (the pictures I have seen reflect a distinctly flatter side) I do not personally accept any lifts purported to be "equal" to an original York other than as a training device. As stated a bunch of times before it( A Blob) IS only 50 lbs and the shape is EVERYTHING in this particular lift So,if you want to be part of a special list or "thing" take your time, get a real York Blob,weigh it, dont mess with the finish, AND then lift it. Richard Sorin

When you say original, do you mean the fatman version? If so, I would agree with that, I have an old fat one and it's A LOT harder. The blob50 was copied off a York blob, although it was the newer one, the one right after the fatman, not the legacy crap. A blob50 is no different than a York blob(nonfatman one) it might have rougher texture due to the paint but I've felt York's rougher than my blob50.

When you say original, do you mean the fatman version? If so, I would agree with that, I have an old fat one and it's A LOT harder. The blob50 was copied off a York blob, although it was the newer one, the one right after the fatman, not the legacy crap. A blob50 is no different than a York blob(nonfatman one) it might have rougher texture due to the paint but I've felt York's rougher than my blob50.

Ditto, my Blob50 is slicker(without paint) than a few of the york 50's I've felt. It feels exactly the same shape-wise and was designed to be exactly that anyway. A Blob50 lift IS a blob lift. It at the very least garauntees the lifter is capable of a nonfat 50lb york lift.

Richard, I think Rex has a Blob50(don't you Rex?). Perhaps he could bring it along to the get-together and you could give it a go.

Jedd, The 53Lb. 10 oz monster you have is a bit shy of the certified Us Post office weight we got on the other half of the Fatman Original Blob it was exactly 53lb 13.60 0z (53.85lb) I often wondered just how much over York casted some of the old ones. Bob Hoffman owner of York Barbell often said at York sponsored meets "We always give you a bit extra"....I guess he meant it! I have never weighed a York Blob made from an old 100 that weighed under 50 either.RS

In reply to the old Fatman Blobs..They are "where it started" and in general all weigh heavy and represent the true difficulty I encountered when I was inspired to first start Blob training. I feel that York old or a bit later is the "standard" where the true merit of the feat is measured. Yes, I do tip my hat to someone that does a Fatman and it is something you won't forget, I could all day easier lift a 50+2.5lb added than a Fatman 52.5 but I think the Blob club roster should be members that have sought out and lifted at the least a legit York 50lber or call the feat done with anything elese by another name. Thanks for asking! RS

In reply to the old Fatman Blobs..They are "where it started" and in general all weigh heavy and represent the true difficulty I encountered when I was inspired to first start Blob training. I feel that York old or a bit later is the "standard" where the true merit of the feat is measured. Yes, I do tip my hat to someone that does a Fatman and it is something you won't forget, I could all day easier lift a 50+2.5lb added than a Fatman 52.5 but I think the Blob club roster should be members that have sought out and lifted at the least a legit York 50lber or call the feat done with anything elese by another name. Thanks for asking! RS

Well Richard, since this is after all, my list, I will be counting all lifts with a Blob50 because it is a close Replica of a York (non fatman) Blob. Are you contending only real York Blobs are "legit" or that only fat man blobs are "legit"?

im adding my two cents on the types of blobs i have an origional 52plus blob like richards and have also sold several way befor they reached hundreds of dollars i think one dollar a pound i also have the blob 50 my son can lift both the same i cannot his friend also can lift them the same and he does not even work out just a natural grip guy i beleve that if you are that good of a wide pinch guy or have big gripping fingers it does not make that big of a difference in lifting it us guys with smaller hands it is a bit harder to get some meat of the blob to stick to our hand friction not everyone can find or afford a real york blob and finding a wider one is even harder to do or impossible so when i see someone post a video of any blob 50lbs or more they mean the same accomplishment to me :rock

I haven't had a chance to lift a Blob50 yet, but I've heard from guys who are "legit" Blob lifters that they are nearly identical to a Blob.