The Blob Challenge

vikingsrule92

I got to thinking about who had done the most weight added on to a Blob and I think it'd be a really awesome race to have on Gripboard. We could also have Blob hold for time total with both hands like the Hub Challenge thread. Video evidence is required for everything since this is a pretty elite list. I'll do who I can think of off the top of my head to start with. We can also do a Blob by the face list, but that would be a VERY small lift right now :D

Rules:

1. Must be a York 50lb Blob or Blob50

2. Video Evidence required

3. No bracing during the lift or hold

4. Only chalk allowed

Blob for max weight:

1. Wade Gillingham: 75

2. Jedd Johnson: 70

3. Rex Hubbard: 67

4. Aaron Corcorran: 60

5. Derek Graybill: 55

I'm sure there are plenty of people I'm forgetting, these are just the ones off the top of my head. Post here if you have a video of youself doing Blob+weight and we can get this challenge started, race to 100!!! :D

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vikingsrule92

• The Natural

• stew2

• Jedd Johnson

This list is a good idea.

Some Comments

Wade is the only one on the list who did not use a string set-up. Jedd and some others predicted that he could do more with a string set-up, but Wade admits that his focus is more on AW than grip right now.

Wade and I are the only two on the list that lack video proof of our best lifts. At least, Wade has not made his video available on the Jackal's Gym website.

Because it relates to tilt, and how much one can get away with, maybe there should be an additional rule about the permissibility of the string set-up.

To fill out the list a bit more, I'll ask the competitors at Sorinex tomorrow if they'd like to make some attempts with Blob plus weight.

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only one who has attempted Blob by the face plus weight, but there are many more Gripboard members capable of it. If more people try it and film it, that list may not be so short.

I think for all weights above Blob + 10, the weights should be calibrated. Maybe that is too low a starting point. But since this is an elite list, the calibration requirement should start at some point. Maybe for a WR attempt? I don't think that Wade's record is safe once '09 arrives. Better set the rule now, so as to avoid disputes in regard to future WR attempts.

There should be an established smallest possible increment. Maybe one pound?

Any other thoughts?

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

This list is a good idea.

Some Comments

Wade is the only one on the list who did not use a string set-up. Jedd and some others predicted that he could do more with a string set-up, but Wade admits that his focus is more on AW than grip right now.

Wade and I are the only two on the list that lack video proof of our best lifts. At least, Wade has not made his video available on the Jackal's Gym website.

Because it relates to tilt, and how much one can get away with, maybe there should be an additional rule about the permissibility of the string set-up.

To fill out the list a bit more, I'll ask the competitors at Sorinex tomorrow if they'd like to make some attempts with Blob plus weight.

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only one who has attempted Blob by the face plus weight, but there are many more Gripboard members capable of it. If more people try it and film it, that list may not be so short.

I think for all weights above Blob + 10, the weights should be calibrated. Maybe that is too low a starting point. But since this is an elite list, the calibration requirement should start at some point. Maybe for a WR attempt? I don't think that Wade's record is safe once '09 arrives.

There should be an established smallest possible increment. Maybe one pound?

Any other thoughts?

-Rex

sounds good Rex - I think your Blob and the weights need to be calibrated regardless of any weight

Good questions and points Rex. I thought there was video of your 67 attempt?

I think anything with a string or wire is allowed, and nothing else so we can compare directly and don't have to deal with what ifs.

If there become more then 2 or 3 with added weight by the face I will make a list for that.

How about Blob+20 and above must be cal'd? Or maybe Blob+15? Also if you want to do that should the Blob have to be cal'd too? At a certain weight or just in general?

Yes since it is Blob + weight, a blob+.5 or whatever would simply be a waste, must be Blob+1 or bigger.

Once we get all the kinks worked out I'll make a comprehensive rule list.

Edited by vikingsrule92

sounds good Rex - I think your Blob and the weights need to be calibrated regardless of any weight

A good argument for this view is that we have agreed on a required minimum one pound increment. This shows that we have committed ourselves to a fairly high degree of precision, one that seems to require calibration. For it is clear that standard plates, when several are used together, can differ by more than a pound from the alleged total.

So if we are going to settle on a one-pound minimum increment, we need to follow through and require calibration for all lifts.

This presents a problem for those already on the list. It doesn't seem fair to grandfather them in, either.

Thoughts?

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

A Counter-Argument

We let people use 'easy' #3's to do Gripboard certs, as well as 'easy' Elites. Why not allow people to use 'easy' plates to do the cert?

We are strict about the 2HP record list. We are lax about many of the Gripboard certs.

Should the blob cert list be closer to one or the other?

-Rex

A good argument for this view is that we have agreed on a required minimum one pound increment. This shows that we have committed ourselves to a fairly high degree of precision, one that seems to require calibration. For it is clear that standard plates, when several are used together, can differ by more than a pound from the alleged total.

So if we are going to settle on a one-pound minimum increment, we need to follow through and require calibration for all lifts.

This presents a problem for those already on the list. It doesn't seem fair to grandfather them in, either.

Thoughts?

-Rex

Hmmm I suppose that is true. So start from scratch? The 2.5s that I used from Aaron were cal'd if he wouldn't mind chiming in with what they cal'd at. Ok fine, all weights must be cal'd and labeled accordingly for video purposes. But then should the Blob be cal'd? Or all regarded as 50?

I'm not sure how accurate this should be, it would be nice for all plates to be cal'd since this is a very elite feat as it is, but let others doing this feat chime in and we'll see how it goes.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Thoughts?

-Rex

Hmmm I suppose that is true. So start from scratch? The 2.5s that I used from Aaron were cal'd if he wouldn't mind chiming in with what they cal'd at. Ok fine, all weights must be cal'd and labeled accordingly for video purposes. But then should the Blob be cal'd? Or all regarded as 50?

I'm not sure how accurate this should be, it would be nice for all plates to be cal'd since this is a very elite feat as it is, but let others doing this feat chime in and we'll see how it goes.

Another good reason for sticking with the one pound minimum increment--and the level of precision that represents--is Wade's observation that at the higher levels, a pound becomes a very big deal.

So blob plus 26 might require several months of training beyond that which was required for blob plus 25. We want to be able to recognize the increasingly higher level of dedication that comes with making one pound gains at the higher levels.

This, in turn, is another good reason for requiring calibration for every lift. Even at the lower levels of blob plus weight, someone may have to work very hard to add a pound to his PR. We should recognize this dedication even though it may not go towards a WR.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Thoughts?

-Rex

Another good reason for sticking with the one pound minimum increment--and the level of precision that represents--is Wade's observation that at the higher levels, a pound becomes a very big deal.

So blob plus 26 might require several months of training beyond that which was required for blob plus 25. We want to be able to recognize the increasingly higher level of dedication that comes with making one pound gains at the higher levels.

-Rex

Ok then let's make it all calibrated. Otherwise someone could be doing +30 and it really weighs25 and someone doing 25 that really weighs 30 and the first would be portrayed as better then the second when he isn't.

But what about calibration of Blobs?

But what about calibration of Blobs?

A 49 pound blob marked as a Blob50 would give the user the same advantage as a 10 pound plate that is really 9.

We shouldn't insist on precision in one area but tolerate it in another equally important area.

So blobs should be calibrated too. It's still just one trip to the Post Office.

-Rex

There's some other factors that need to be considered in my opinion.

One is the texture of the blob. Last weekend, I did a 53-lb 10 oz blob plus 7.5 pounds. The blob was weighed, the plates were also, but we did not take note of the actual calibrated weight. This 53-lb 10-oz blob might just be the heaviest blob ever weighed. It was also an original style, fat boy blob. However, it was a very easy-to-lift blob because of the texture. Some blobs are really heavily textured and others are smooth as silk. Even the ones in my own collection vary.

Another thing to consider is positioning of the blob. After Gripmas, Dave Thornton and I contested one another to see who could lift more on the 53-lb 10-oz blob plus weight. He lifted it by the bottom of the blob on the square. I lifted it by the top. It is definitely easier to lift it by the square on the bottom.

Not to be too anal about all this, but these factors are as legitimate as making sure we all grab the blob with only chalk added, and not some sort of tacky.

To address what Rex brought up. The records lists are pretty loose. Plates and blobs and grippers are NOT calibrated. They have always been this way. Is it right? Not sure, but remember, these are mainly feats of strength that can be easily repeated in most gyms, especially considering the plate pinches. The spirit is to accomplish the feat and move on to the next. In this case, we are shooting for a mark and then we are aiming to improve upon it. The question is how much standardization is needed for that kind of a comparison? Good question.

Either way, I am all about it. I like these on-line challenges. Makes it easier for me to decide on what to train for.

-Jedd-

So what exactly is the challenge? Just to throw a little gas on the fire, Brian Shaw emailed me about what the top lifts were on the blob plus weight.

Jedd, it would be damn near impossible to get a standard for texture, so I say as long as you didn't tamper with the blob by filing the sides or whatever to create a rougher texture anything goes.

I think it should always be lifted by the top of the Blob, no bottom square lifts allowed on this list. Damn this rules list is getting long fast, but it's good because there is less room for discrepancies.

Also no bracing of the lower arm/wrist against the body during the lift.

Wade, it's max lift of Blob+weight. Goal is Blob+50 and beyond for you behemoths out there.

Oh and I just had an idea, maybe Bill would be willing to make a "KING of Blobs" title in someone's title thing if they are the current leader here, it could be traded back and forth as necessary.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Jedd, Scott's Blob is usually quite smooth. It was raining a lot when I put it in the trunk of the car (so I wouldn't forget it), so it was wet for a couple days in there and then taken to Gripmas and warmed up; it even looked like a different Blob. I think that made it feel "grippier" than normal. You can ask Eaton or Josh Dale what it has felt like in the past. So, even the same Blob can vary over time.

Edited by odin

It seems too precise to worry about texture. The blob should simply not have its structure altered. Paint removal seems fine, but nothing more.

'Must grab blob on top" seems an easy rule to add. You get to choose the side you want your thumb on.

-Rex

All I am trying to point out is that the difference between blob texture might cause a difference in 5 pounds or so, maybe more. I know it does for me. If we're not going to worry about texture, then there is no sense worrying about a few ounces above or below on some plates.

Bob, that's okay. It was easy for me to lift last year too, I just didn't add any weight to it.

Wade, I think the challenge is just to put more focus on this lift and see where we can all go.

Rex, I tried the blob by the face plus weight and got 5 pounds with a plate stuck to the bottom with a magnet. Right handed only though. I can't do it by the face lefty any more due to a weird pinky injury in basketball this past May.

Well if people would quit caking the blob in salt and seasoning it outside for a year I guess we wouldn't have to worry about this now would we? In my opinion the proper way to season a blob is to lift it.

Guys, this is getting RIDICULOUS. It's a blob+weight max lift. Just lift your blob+plates, no need for calibration or all that bull unless you really care to have it listed in pounds and ounces with it's kg conversion in a Dale Harder book and on Gripboard. In which case, have at it because I love those Harder books. As an online challenge, just do a blob+weight. Don't start dictating where the hand needs to be, that's a slippery slope. Don't over think it.

Wade, it seems like your comment is directed at me.

I did leave one of mine outside for quite some time. (I have 3) I left it outside over the winter and it became slick and glassy, and is the toughest one I have to lift.

Guys, this is getting RIDICULOUS. It's a blob+weight max lift. Just lift your blob+plates, no need for calibration or all that bull unless you really care to have it listed in pounds and ounces with it's kg conversion in a Dale Harder book and on Gripboard. In which case, have at it because I love those Harder books. As an online challenge, just do a blob+weight. Don't start dictating where the hand needs to be, that's a slippery slope. Don't over think it.

I hear you Zack. I'm just pointing things out that I have been thinking about since Gripmas is all. It just seems that little things that can be overlooked can make a big difference in the numbers lifted is all.

I hear you Zack. I'm just pointing things out that I have been thinking about since Gripmas is all. It just seems that little things that can be overlooked can make a big difference in the numbers lifted is all.

This is true and my post was made at everyone, not just yourself. I've agreed with most everything that has been said to be honest, but don't turn this into a science project guys. If there is any doubt about someone's blob being incredibly easy and they suddenly do Blob+25, it wont be to much trouble for them to weigh the whole setup on camera and/or attempt the same or close on someone else's blob. People aren't so trusting of such strength feats now that video proof is so easy to come by. As usually happens, those that don't provide such evidence will not be believed and wont get their name on a list, perhaps an honorable mention at best dependant upon circumstances.

This is true and my post was made at everyone, not just yourself. I've agreed with most everything that has been said to be honest, but don't turn this into a science project guys. If there is any doubt about someone's blob being incredibly easy and they suddenly do Blob+25, it wont be to much trouble for them to weigh the whole setup on camera and/or attempt the same or close on someone else's blob. People aren't so trusting of such strength feats now that video proof is so easy to come by. As usually happens, those that don't provide such evidence will not be believed and wont get their name on a list, perhaps an honorable mention at best dependant upon circumstances.

Totally agree.

The point is to know who's the best, not who may be the best, assuming the plates were not light.

It's a status lift. The king of the hill should have the right to be certain he's the best. So at least calibrations should be required for the WR.

-Rex