Best Armwrestler Ever

darthsith19

Who has the best right arm ever (in an open weight cetegory, not lbs for lbs)?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. ???

• John Brzenk (The Legend, in his prime - Boomtown anybody?)
    • Alexey Voevoda (The Russian Warrior / The Beast from the East)
    • Richard Lupkes (in his prime of course)
    • Gary Goodridge (in his prime)
    • Cleve Dean (Mr. Armbreaker, 450+ lbs)
    • Someone else (please say who)

Taking all armwrestlers who ever lived, from the prime of their armwrestling careers, who has the greatest right arm ever? Not pound for pound but just in an open category? I know John Brzenk is considered to be and probably a lot of people will say that he is. However, part of what makes John the best ever is the fact that he has perfected every technique and can swicth techniques extremely well during a match, and also that as a ~200 lbs. armwrestler he has beaten just about everybody, all the heavyweights. But I read on the ask John Brzenk pages that John believes Gary Goodridge was the best heavyweight in the world in 1995, 1996. He also has never beaten Alexey Voevoda. He says Richard Lupkes has the most raw power of any armwrestler he has ever went against. In 2007 he was amazed at the size of Alexey Voevoda's forearm.

Richard Lupkes says that (excuse me if I don't get this correct word for word): "Gary Goodridge's hook is like a freight train. You have to be at your very best to be able to beat (have a chance at beating?) him." About Cleve Dean, Lupkes said he has never pulled him but says that Cleve would not have intimidated him when he was at his peak in 88 and 89. "I'm not saying I would win, but I wouldn't be intimidated" was what Lupkes said.

Then we have Devon Larratt, who beats John 6-0 and although John may not have been at his best, he was still good enough to beat Ron Bath a month later and beat Cyplenkov, smash Taras Ivakin, and nearly pull A. Semerenko across the table 2 months later.

Maybe John is the best ever in an open weight category, but I sure think Devon (now), Voevoda (2005-2007) and Goodridge (95, 96) would have a shot at taking out even the best John Brzenk.

Thoughts?

Edited by Josh H

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darthsith19

• mightyjoe

• lifesnotfair

• fightertrainer

Gary Goodridge:

John Brzenk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRHSVdrMx-w

Alexey Voevoda:

Don't got any collection videos of Cleve Dean. There's a great one of Richard Lupkes from the 80's on armtv, but it's on armtv. On it he beats Gary Goodridge and John Brzenk at least twice each, in just a few seconds. Goodridge was at his ebst a few years after that though, and John also has wins on Lupkes.

at 1:20 in the Goodridge video is that Cleve Dean he's beating? who ever that is he has a MONSTER hand. he engulfs Gary's entire hand, wrist and part of his forearm, yet Goodridge still opens him up. amazing power by Big Daddy!

I know Brzenk just beat Cyplenkov a few weeks ago, but when Cyplenkov starts paying attention to technique he will be unstoppable , now that Brzenk beat him, everyone is dumping on Cyplenkov like hes a nobody, Cyplenkov was beating everyone with sloppy technique, and relying on pure brute strength, but maybe his loss will get him to focus on technique more, if he doesn't then , he'll just start losing , it will be interesting to watch how Cyplenkov pulls from now on, if he adds strategy to his unreal strength, he will be the greatest, don't count Cyplenkov out just yet.

I know Brzenk just beat Cyplenkov a few weeks ago, but when Cyplenkov starts paying attention to technique he will be unstoppable , now that Brzenk beat him, everyone is dumping on Cyplenkov like hes a nobody, Cyplenkov was beating everyone with sloppy technique, and relying on pure brute strength, but maybe his loss will get him to focus on technique more, if he doesn't then , he'll just start losing , it will be interesting to watch how Cyplenkov pulls from now on, if he adds strategy to his unreal strength, he will be the greatest, don't count Cyplenkov out just yet.

I agree, but with the hand is mostly tendon and ligament. I say Dennis will takes up to 2 years to fully develop his hand power. U just can't hurry that no matter how much you train.

at 1:20 in the Goodridge video is that Cleve Dean he's beating? who ever that is he has a MONSTER hand. he engulfs Gary's entire hand, wrist and part of his forearm, yet Goodridge still opens him up. amazing power by Big Daddy!

Yes it is. For the record, Goodridge has a small hand compared to other heavyweight armwrestlers. it's pretty amazing. Cleve was/is a great armwrestler, but I'm not gonna vote for him because I think Goodridge at his prime > Cleve at his prime. Didn't vote for anybody yet.

On the contary, Engin ranked Cyplenkov's right arm 6th in the world, above Ron Bath (which is quite generous, IMHO). Brzenk says that Cyplenkov is top 10. I don't see anybody "dumping" him. I'm not counting out Cyplenkov at all, however, at this point, I think to say he would beat anybody on the list would be asinine. I also read online that occassionally Voevoda trains with Cyplenkov and he can't do anything to Denis' left arm but they are close with their right arms. And that's a 240 lbs. retired Voevoda, 270 lbs., in-shape, I can smash Travis Bagent and f*ck with Michael Todd Voevoda would crush Denis, he would take his hand and then slam his arm into the pad.

Edited by Josh H

"The greatest waste in the world is the difference between what we are and what we could become."

it's not counting him out, but he has not done anything to be in the same place as the others mentioned.

I agree, but with the hand is mostly tendon and ligament. I say Dennis will takes up to 2 years to fully develop his hand power. U just can't hurry that no matter how much you train.

I actually read that his fingers are strong, and it's his wrists that are lacking (according to his trainer) and if he had has 3-4 more months to train he would have beaten Brzenk (according to his trainer). So we'll see but yeah right now anybody on that list would beat Denis.

I've heard of some armwrestlers talking how wrist strength is, in part, genetic. There are guys that are super strong overall, yet they never seem to develop a strong wrist, and it's not due to lack of training or doing the wrong exercises. Either way, all you saying how Cyplenkov will be unbeatable in 3-4 months... puh-lease!!! Give us a break.

This poll is a no brainer - John Brzenk :D

I don't follow AW, but was wondering, does any person have a winning record against Brzenk?

I think Ron Bath has the most wins over John, about 7, I think. John won more often against Ron though.

Over a career, Brzenk without question. As to who over the years has had the "highest high"? I'd go for Vovoeda, but that is just a guess.

No way, he got one win against John. That 's not enough to prove for me. I think Monkeypaw here got a win agaisnt John too so what about that? The body of work against John IMO must be at least 6 matches or more. I think Devon have most win over lost against John.

Voevoda's "awesome performance" was that one in Zlotty 2004, where he beat everyone including Brzenk (95kg/209lb version). So I guess he has a winning record against John, of 1-0 ... lol. And so many people claim he's one of the greatest ever... that cannot and should NOT be said of anyone whose entire career span is just a couple of years, come on now..... specially someone who, right after winning against John, retires. :D That says something, doesn't it?

Although in the final years that Gary Goodridge pulled, he was very good and beat John a couple of times, overall John has the lead, and by a lot. Not even him or Bob Brown know the answer, but they both think he's winning on a ratio of 3 to 1, so it's not even close.

From what I have seen, most people who have been pulling for years and know the pullers and are heavily involved in AW, they will answer John Brzenk to this question without even hesitating.

John Brzenk. Not simply because he has been good for so long, but because no one who has pulled him a significant amount of times (more than just say one tournament) has a winning record against him. Voevoda beat him and some other top guys in one tournament. That doesn't qualify you as the greatest ever.

John Brzenk without question. I'd like to see some "lightweights" thrown in as well; Engin, Rustam, Allen, etc.. No they won't beat anybody on the list but in terms of greatness over a career; their are some missing names.

I don't follow AW, but was wondering, does any person have a winning record against Brzenk?
John Brzenk

I think Devon Larratt is six wins to AT LEAST three by John. When I met Devon in late 2002, I said he would be a good match for John and he said that John had "dusted him." So adding that "dusting" to the two wins by John at Superstar Showdown (on YouTube), John has at least three wins again Devon, possibly many more.

Alexey Voevoda is 1-0 against John and seems to have retired since that stellar performance in 2004.

I heard someone say Alan Karaev is 1-0 against John - this is in a popular YouTube video. This was after John had pulled a lot the day before and I believe Alan was fresh.

Strongest of all time might be John in the 2nd half of 2006 - or maybe Devon Larratt this year?

Best of all time would go to John easily, for having dominated the sport for so long.

I've heard of some armwrestlers talking how wrist strength is, in part, genetic. There are guys that are super strong overall, yet they never seem to develop a strong wrist, and it's not due to lack of training or doing the wrong exercises. Either way, all you saying how Cyplenkov will be unbeatable in 3-4 months... puh-lease!!! Give us a break.

This poll is a no brainer - John Brzenk :D

Never said Cyplenkov will be untoppable in 3-4 months. I said his instructor said in 3-4 months he will be able to beat Brzenk. Which btw doesn't make him unstoppable even if it does happen.

idk about Gary Goodridge. I believe Voevoda has a 1-0 record with Brzenk, but as he runs away every time people start talking about a rematch between him and Brzenk, well, I just don't think 1-0 is everything, he has to beat John again to make it legitimate, otherwise it could have, pratially, been luck and he was just better on that given day. I do think that Richard Lupkes may have a winning record. I think Brzenk beat him in the Over the Top tournament. Twice Lupkes beat Brzenk that I have seen on armtv. Then Lupkes mentioned that he and Brzenk were going in I believe 90 or 91 and Lupkes hurt his shoulder (and lost I believe). Lupkes beat Brzenk this year. There are maybe other matches that I don't know of. But their record is close I think.

And yeah maybe Devon is you count the 6-0 supermatch win as +6 to Devon and not +1. But you could say then that Devin in his prime is 6-0 with Brzenk since whenever John won Devon was not at his current level. I don't know how many times Brzenk and Devin have pulled though. Some other guys anwered, too, I guess Goodridge doesn't have a winning record.

John Brzenk without question. I'd like to see some "lightweights" thrown in as well; Engin, Rustam, Allen, etc.. No they won't beat anybody on the list but in terms of greatness over a career; their are some missing names.

I agree, but I was just wondering about greatest ever in an open weight.

Who has ever beaten John Brzenk in a 198 lbs. weight class? I know Jason Remer has and I believe Todd Hutchins has too. Is there anybody else? I'm just wondering. When Todd Hutchins beat John did he just win 1 match and John won the tournament or did Todd win the tournament as well?

OK,

I am way to tired and have drank to much to read all the above. I am at he WAF Worlds right now. But anyone that thinks that John in not the best ever is just kidding themselves.

Have a nice day

Alright, what about 2nd best then? And I forgot to put Devon Larratt in the poll, oops.

Edited by Josh H

John Brzenk was once asked about his record against Lupkes, and this is what he said (this is just a few months old):

Lets see my record against Richard:

Our first match I won, Vegas for the Truck Over The Top.

He beat me in Reno, the match that you have seen.

I beat him in Petaluma.

He beat me in a small tournament in Canada.

We were one and one in Chicago for Yukon Jack, but after our second pull that I won, he dropped out of the tournament with a shoulder injury.

Then of course recent Arnold where he won.

I think that's all of them.

I personally remember reading someone over the NE forum saying how they seem to recall John almost tearing Richard's arm off at a tourney, I imagine this person meant the match I highlighted in bold.

Richard Lupkes was obviously one of the strongest ever, but again, his time at the top was so short..... I know he's back and everything, but still.

Maybe I am reading the question differently than others. Over a career, win/loss record over just about everybody, it is Brzenk without a doubt. I read the question as being who was the best on their best day, which I believe is still up for grabs.