Teemu's Certification

gmov

Well I did made up my mind not to go for it again until I've pulled off some major gripper PR's with MMS and TNS. I will also spend less time on the board and put more effort into training instead of writing about it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• vikingsrule92

• Bill Piche

• ewokhugo

Geez, it was obvious why he attempted the cert. He's an experienced guy and was ready if you ask me and frankly that's why it makes me wonder what was going on with that gripper he got. No one is "off" that much.

Not someone of his experience and knowledge.

There is one way to be ready for that curve ball next time. No set a #4! :) Sure seems like that is what it would take to close the gripper he got in the gripper lottery.

Not wanting to be negative here or start a flame war its just my observations but theres a world of difference in how Teemu was attempting his credit card cert and the Finns in general and how Tex and Richard did theres the difference was like chalk and cheese and obviously doing one or the other can make a huge difference despite all these 3 men being very strong on grippers i think the actual credit card part itself needs looking at properly and standardising.

To be honest one of the things i noticed when initially viewing the vid was how "awkward" the setting seemed, and initially I put it down to the fact that I "thought" that Teemu didn't do CCS that much. And that observation goes for many of the CCS vids I've seen - deepish set, let the gripper out, attempt to insert card, no luck, let the gripper out, try again - all chewing up time. I'm no expert on Grippers but even holding it in an that kind of position for a few seconds pretty much kills me, at least in that last half inch or so.

To be honest one of the things i noticed when initially viewing the vid was how "awkward" the setting seemed, and initially I put it down to the fact that I "thought" that Teemu didn't do CCS that much. And that observation goes for many of the CCS vids I've seen - deepish set, let the gripper out, attempt to insert card, no luck, let the gripper out, try again - all chewing up time. I'm no expert on Grippers but even holding it in an that kind of position for a few seconds pretty much kills me, at least in that last half inch or so.

It varies from person to person. A lot of people have told me that it works a lot better for them to set it too deep then open it up. I don't think it's anything wrong with Teemu's technique, it's just a different technique.

It varies from person to person. A lot of people have told me that it works a lot better for them to set it too deep then open it up. I don't think it's anything wrong with Teemu's technique, it's just a different technique.

Yeah, I find that's what works best for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjUZiQRRSdY

I am sure it does work better - if you get the card in right the first time.

As I said it was just what jumped out at me on first viewing - it's not something I've given a great deal of time to.

one thing i noticed: the coc#3 from 2008 are around 3.0 (the ones used at certification);the ones from 2007 here little harder, ask Tommi Kujala.

to play the game correctly all the #3.5 used to get the cert should be around 185 lbs ... right??

i am talking specially about the gripper TEX used.

For smaller handed guys, I think it is easier to set it deep and release. Anyway a small handed guy does it will look ugly.

It looks awkward because his pinky is straight, not barely wrapped, STRAIGHT and his index is barely on the gripper perfectly illustrating how ridiculous and dangerous the CCS is for people without large hands, not to mention how wide this particuliar gripper is. I admire Teemu's attitude but come on, you can't tell me this is how a gripper should be closed. :blink

Edited by jad

It looks awkward because his pinky is straight, not barely wrapped, STRAIGHT and his index is barely on the gripper perfectly illustrating how ridiculous and dangerous the CCS is for people without large hands, not to mention how wide this particuliar gripper is. I admire Teemu's attitude but come on, you can't tell me this is how a gripper should be closed. :blink

Yes you are right I saw his pinky too and was feeling the pain already. His hands ARE a bit too small for the CCS. He will basically have to close it most of the way with 3 fingers on middle of the handle then choke up on it.

Or in English 2 and 15/16

So not crazy wide like it looked in the vid, but obviously a tough gripper. Teemu will rebound and get it next time as he's quite the thinking man's gripper trainer ;)

like i said when posting, no offense was meant, just seemed a bit odd not doing any ccs work, as well as attempting a 3.5 certification when your pr was 3.69 with mms before the attempt - i dont know where the article your talking about is, but for me personally i need to work in the credit card for several weeks to get good at it, if i dont train with the card, i am much weaker.

i agree about the card insert - from my understanding of whats been said, the rules are simply that the credit card goes between the handles so the distance is 2" to start >tex's cert seemed to be pretty rediculous (not tex's fault), but so does this cert attempt, as well as teemus #3 cert. If the rules never said the card has to be inserted for several seconds, why does that happen?

2.125"/2and an 1/8th or 28.575mm

2.125"/2and an 1/8th or 28.575mm

You mean 53.975mm? Paul, the Finns in general seem to be very strict with their certs, all of the certs on #3s done by Finns seem to hold the card in for several seconds before a signal to close is given (not being negative of course, they're just stricter then most)

i agree about the card insert - from my understanding of whats been said, the rules are simply that the credit card goes between the handles so the distance is 2" to start >tex's cert seemed to be pretty rediculous (not tex's fault), but so does this cert attempt, as well as teemus #3 cert. If the rules never said the card has to be inserted for several seconds, why does that happen?

There is no seconds insert, the card must fit between the handles, just flash of it somewhere in the room isn´t enougt, that is what i understand rules. If card isn´t between handles, judge doesn´t give sign to close. He calls "hep", immediately he see that the card is between handles. In my cert he calls "open, open" till card fits between, and after that gives sign to close. That wasn´t good, and we tell him about it, in Teemus cert he was quietly until he gives sign.

About the gripper, what you were wondering. It seems just normal #3.5 in video, of course, it is a #3.5 gripper. That was ridiculous to say that is was normal #3.5 just watching the video. I had that gripper in my hand, and I have had several #3.5´s in my hand, closed few and few not. This was certainly hardest #3.5 what i have tried. No matter what RNC says, where it wasn´t hardest. There was no easy start, as often CoC´s have, it was hard all way from beginning to end. And that is a thing what you cant see on video, no matter what you say. ;)

Edited by Nahkuri

There is no seconds insert, the card must fit between the handles, just flash of it somewhere in the room isn´t enougt, that is what i understand rules. If card isn´t between handles, judge doesn´t give sign to close. He calls "hep", immediately he see that the card is between handles. In my cert he calls "open, open" till card fits between, and after that gives sign to close. That wasn´t good, and we tell him about it, in Teemus cert he was quietly until he gives sign.

About the gripper, what you were wondering. It seems just normal #3.5 in video, of course, it is a #3.5 gripper. That was ridiculous to say that is was normal #3.5 just watching the video. I had that gripper in my hand, and I have had several #3.5´s in my hand, closed few and few not. This was certainly hardest #3.5 what i have tried. No matter what RNC says, where it wasn´t hardest. There was no easy start, as often CoC´s have, it was hard all way from beginning to end. And that is a thing what you cant see on video, no matter what you say. ;)

hence why i said i would have to try it to be sure, an that it 'seems' pretty normal (everybody was saying the spread was rediculous etc)