The Glorious Standing Dumbbell Military Press

dunebuggy31

I've been doing "strict" standing presses with a dumbbell for about 4 weeks, and the results are remarkable. Literally feel like the shoulder is cohesively stronger, with carryover of +25lb onto my barbell MP. Anyone else use this a strength builder or a supplementary exercise?

I've been doing "strict" standing presses with a dumbbell for about 4 weeks, and the results are remarkable. Literally feel like the shoulder is cohesively stronger, with carryover of +25lb onto my barbell MP. Anyone else use this a strength builder or a supplementary exercise?

One of the best movements I have done for overall upper body strength. Started with barely being able to do 70 because of the lack of stability - now I do 120. I will say that nearly every workout I feel like I may have tweaked my shoulder but they come back stronger every time. I usually do 3 sets of 8-10 trying for a new max every week. Once I hit 10 reps I go up in weight.

I was told by some Masters Strongman competitors that it was the single best overhead exercise they had ever done.

I was told by some Masters Strongman competitors that it was the single best overhead exercise they had ever done.

I got it from my brother who was told by Hugo Girard that it is one of his main exercises. It just took me a few years to put it into the program. He does them two at a time but my heavy dumbells aren't in pairs, and he also does high reps with a 50 pound medicine ball.

One of the best movements I have done for overall upper body strength. Started with barely being able to do 70 because of the lack of stability - now I do 120. I will say that nearly every workout I feel like I may have tweaked my shoulder but they come back stronger every time. I usually do 3 sets of 8-10 trying for a new max every week. Once I hit 10 reps I go up in weight.

I'm trying to increase the weight once I can hit a 5x5. But ya, feel like the shoulder's tweaked after every workout but then always come back stronger. Currently at that plateau where a 5lb jump is too much, so starting to go up in 1lb increments. Seems good so far.

Edited by dunebuggy31

I'm trying to increase the weight once I can hit a 5x5. But ya, feel like the shoulder's tweaked after every workout but then always come back stronger. Currently at that plateau where a 5lb jump is too much, so starting to go up in 1lb increments. Seems good so far.

You might want to try higher reps. The nice thing for me about shooting for 10 is when I go up the next week I drop the intensity and will settle for 3-5 reps at my top weight then try to push up to 10 over the next 2 months.

You might want to try higher reps. The nice thing for me about shooting for 10 is when I go up the next week I drop the intensity and will settle for 3-5 reps at my top weight then try to push up to 10 over the next 2 months.

Sound logic. I'll try that starting next week.

Are we talking single arm or two? I like them both, meselfs.

Single arm, but thats cuz I only have one dumbbell :blush

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite overhead pressing movement! Works the midsection well, too, especially the sides. PB: 4x44kg

My favorite overhead pressing movement! Works the midsection well, too, especially the sides. PB: 4x44kg

Ya, it really does hit the sides well. My personal goal is to press 100lb see-saw style, but I'm probably gonna puke a lung getting there.

Edited by dunebuggy31

I got it from my brother who was told by Hugo Girard that it is one of his main exercises.
Yeah, but what does Hugo know anbout shoulder strength??? ;)

• 2 months later...

I train shoulders only seated (with free weight) on a "shoulder bench", and both barbell and dumbbell.

Should I begin to train shoulders while standing? Why do you prefer the one or the other? What are the advantages?

I also like a bit variety and I do front and behind the neck presses.

Thanks

I train shoulders only seated (with free weight) on a "shoulder bench", and both barbell and dumbbell.

Should I begin to train shoulders while standing? Why do you prefer the one or the other? What are the advantages?

Thanks

I prefer standing and have only recently started to do seated strict pressing overhead. Do both.

Thanks

I prefer standing and have only recently started to do seated strict pressing overhead. Do both.

Same here. ;)

I like doing them standing, but I end up having to do them kneeling, cuz the ceilings in the basement are too low :D

I like doing them standing, but I end up having to do them kneeling, cuz the ceilings in the basement are too low :D

wow.. hows that on the old knee caps?

wow.. hows that on the old knee caps?

Actually, I don't really feel them...for now, hehe :D

Well actually, I do db presses seated, and only do barbell presses kneeling (have to cuz of my setup).

Yeah, it's alot of fun cleaning a loaded bar while your kneeling :D

I do these with my 48k kettlebell, and I love em'! I usually alternate arms(cleaning it to the shoulder beforehand) for a set of 20. :rock

/agree with wade completely. BUT this was back when i was swimming with a couple teams, and before the end of the school i found that the "tweaks" to my shoulder really f'ed up my stroke and i finished my pool time in some serious discomfort.

i do them sitting down now, eh, who knows whether its more bad than good?

Edited by acid

Whats the best depth to go on these without messing up your shoulders? Arms parallel to the ground? Or deeper like a standing military press?

I finish the movement slightly below my jaw or so and as strict I can(as deep as my hands can go). I never had issues with the full movement working the shoulders. If I want to go as heavy as I can and go for a 1-2 reps, I might finish it at my jaw/mouth :lol:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I appreciate it. I'll also incorporate standing shoulder training in my routine.

Edited by kogba