Bending Only Comp

Paul Knight

It felt most unpleasant.

:laugh :laugh :laugh

That's got the be the best understatement of the week.

Haha! Glad you like that. :laugh It was comparable to fist fighting a medium-size black bear, while wearing a coat made of Jimmy Dean sausage links. Eaton will understand the black bear reference.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• matthcarl

• bencrush

• nockowt1

SCF Ultralite 1:

My technique still needs some work.

I don't know how you bent the horse shoe that way? you had your hands backwards from how I do it - I put my left hand on the top tine and my right on the bottom if I'm bending the shoe on my right hip - you must be ridiculous strong to do it that way :rock great job Kevin!

I agree with Paul, I don't know the hell you started it that way, you get no torque from your grip to rotate against with your hands reversed like that. I bet you will feel allot stronger if you experiment with the technique more.

Also I don't know if you've seen it before but I made a stupid little video explaining how I bend shoes, I still use the traditional kink style but it is not as strong for me as the one I show on the video.

It is real important to tweak your angles and engage the most of your strongest muscles in their most favorable ranges of motion to get allot of power into a shoe bend, at least for me. To me it seems your were doing about the exact opposite, which makes that bend very impressive to me, I bet if you work on the technique you will be killing dc's or better right off the bat.

Ya that looked allot smoother, I still usually go to the side of the thigh to move it a bit more after the kink and before I put it on top of my thigh. It will be hard to get as much movement on the kink in that fashion with harder shoes in the future.

You were looking really good on the first hit on your thigh with it up high on your hip and bracing your inside hand pretty good. That part is key for me. I start to loose allot of leverage as it moves down my leg and away from my body, you can try squatting more to get a better angle at your hip to post it into, I feel better in that position as far as my leg goes as well to drive up against it out of a squat.

Also the more the muscle you are driving into is flexed the less damage and pain there seems to be, it is also a harder surface to bend against and absorbs less force and puts more into the bar. That is the key to not getting too messed up and bruised aside from sheer conditioning and time. Making the steel absorb the force and not digging it around into your soft leg muscle.

I was doing some Ostlund style bending and slipped up a little bit. I was crushing down a 60d and I guess I didn't have a tight enough grip on the wrap. I put a nice hole in the palm of my hand with the point of the nail. I'll probably won't bend again for at least a week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Might aswell bump this thread aswell as I did with the video log thread

Good stuff Kevin - keep'em comin!

Reminder: end of comp will be July 1st for those of you who are not bending for this yet (including myself :rolleyes ) so let get crack'a'lackin

P.S. - I've had someone ask if we are still doing a side comp w/ IM wraps only (mentioned earlier in this thread) ..... It's still on for everyone wanting to bend w/in IM pads only - you can use the VBC log for your IM bending just the same. I''m leaning towards DO only to keep it simply - cool w/everyone?

Also, I don't think we talked about contest bends - does everyone think we should allow bends that took place during a contest since the VBC started? let me know.

Thanks for bumping this up David

What's the time limit on the Ironmind pad bends? Can't remember if it's 2 minutes or 5 minutes.

What's the time limit on the Ironmind pad bends? Can't remember if it's 2 minutes or 5 minutes.

uhh - I can't remember either .......... what do you want it to be Ben?

73 minutes. :tongue I think the 5 minute gold standard is nice. I'm helping another board member fine-tune his thin-pad bending so I need to know for his speed and strength workouts. Plus if I still have some strength I may finally put up an Insane in Ironmind pads video.

73 minutes. :tongue I think the 5 minute gold standard is nice. I'm helping another board member fine-tune his thin-pad bending so I need to know for his speed and strength workouts. Plus if I still have some strength I may finally put up an Insane in Ironmind pads video.

5 min is the time limit then - an insane in IM pads will be awesome Ben! hope to see you nail that soon!

5 min is the time limit then - an insane in IM pads will be awesome Ben! hope to see you nail that soon!

Well shit. I've put up my Insane in Ironmind pads failure. It's good medicine to get a reality check every now and then. Not surprising since I'm doing a few barehand bends a week and concentrating on my USAWA lifts the rest of the time. With a little grippers and 2" vbar thrown in too for the Mo Town Grip Down.

2 and 3/16" in 5 minutes. My kink was gone for the winter. If it hadn't been I would've crushed it down within that time limit. I got gassed though, and that's what I notice first when I'm not bending all the time. Even more than a strength drop, it's the inability to keep hitting the steel with any meaningful force when it binds up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTzW0UvUs4A

Ben

Thats an AWESOME effort especially in those wraps MUCHO RESPECTO bro :bow

I think once you realised the time was running out you really went after it then and showed you still hade a WORLDCLASS crush.

The kink was great you then gave the bar to much respect till you realised the time was against you then we saw a different bender.

Considering you have been hit and miss with your bending over the last 12mths due to shoulder injuries etc there aint alot who can finish one of those bars in those wraps once again RESPECT were its due.

Nice to hear your doing some barehanded stuff also :D

Awsome attempt Ben. I've watched it twice now and it still pretty sickening to me.

Good stuff Kevin - keep'em comin!

Reminder: end of comp will be July 1st for those of you who are not bending for this yet (including myself :rolleyes ) so let get crack'a'lackin

P.S. - I've had someone ask if we are still doing a side comp w/ IM wraps only (mentioned earlier in this thread) ..... It's still on for everyone wanting to bend w/in IM pads only - you can use the VBC log for your IM bending just the same. I''m leaning towards DO only to keep it simply - cool w/everyone?

Also, I don't think we talked about contest bends - does everyone think we should allow bends that took place during a contest since the VBC started? let me know.

Thanks for bumping this up David

I'm cool with this. If the contest took place after the VBC started, I can't see why not.

Thanks guys! I'd say I'm more of a duke with the Ironmind pads. Gazza and Booyah are the tops. With Paul and Dave possibly better than me too.