Bending Only Comp

Paul Knight

Guys, this bend by Mike deserves some comments for sure, so I thought I would post it here for him - he only posted it in the VBC log

his DU insane Shiny!:

these shinys that I sent him were harder than normal I think - that was a very tough piece of steel he bent there :rock way to go Mike! :rock:rock

Any shiny at that length even a 304 grade one is a tough bend factor in that its grade 303 then add that its DU style well any way you look at it WORLD CLASS BENDING right there in camp BOOYAH :rock:bow

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• matthcarl

• bencrush

• nockowt1

OK, so I suck at spike bending, but as it happens I am very flexible for a guy my size. I just bent a piece of 8"x3/8" HRS...can it still count for the spike portion of the bend if I did the majority of it DO style? I believe it is within cert rules, but I admit it might be stretching the spirit/intent of the contest.

(The HRS is National brand stock, which I believe calibrates at 490-495 lbs at 7"...which I think would be around 355 lbs @ 8")

OK, so I suck at spike bending, but as it happens I am very flexible for a guy my size. I just bent a piece of 8"x3/8" HRS...can it still count for the spike portion of the bend if I did the majority of it DO style? I believe it is within cert rules, but I admit it might be stretching the spirit/intent of the contest.

(The HRS is National brand stock, which I believe calibrates at 490-495 lbs at 7"...which I think would be around 355 lbs @ 8")

sure- more power to you by doing it DO - braced can be done however you want - its just extra coolness for not having to brace as much

sure- more power to you by doing it DO - braced can be done however you want - its just extra coolness for not having to brace as much

Cool, more incentive to film an unbraced 80d :rock

Cool, more incentive to film an unbraced 80d :rock

That'd be cool :rock What brand do you do? I was eyeing some Griprite galvanized 80d's last time I was at Home Depot, but I didn't think I could move one and passed them over.

I have an old one from FBBC that looks much harder.

I've uploaded the 8" spike and a re-do of the 7mm stainless DU bend...I'm not really sure where that should fall. I think it's a little harder than a G8 of the same length (but close...not willing to bet on it), and definitely easier than 6"x1/4" square CRS.

I thought I'd add a bendfor the comp. Golden Bastard 11-18-08.

Will add the video to the virtual comp thread

Thanks

Doug

I thought I'd add a bendfor the comp. Golden Bastard 11-18-08.

Will add the video to the virtual comp thread

Thanks

Doug

Very nice Doug! You're rocketing up the list man. I look forward to seeing how far you can go. I won't hold it against you when you knock me down a notch on the lists.

Its on to the fat golden and stainless stuff now. I think your safe Ben as Im too old to keep up with the kids :whistel

I got a piece of 1/2" brass today at Fastenal. Its just scary... I cant imagine it yet nor do I know what it calibrates at. We'll see...someday.

1/4"x5" Grade 5 Reverse:

After completing this bend I attempted a piece of 6"x1/4" sq DU and got it to 38 degrees. I should be able to get it to 40 degrees in the near future.

I got a piece of 1/2" brass today at Fastenal. Its just scary... I cant imagine it yet nor do I know what it calibrates at. We'll see...someday.

From what I remember a 7"x1/2 piece of brass is 1000# or more to get it to 30deg. So ~ 25% tougher than a KOASB

- Aaron

I guess it will be my iso bar for a while ;) well....forever.

Edited by d.sides

Probably, just to give you a perspective gazza struggled with a similar bar if I remember right. He did it, but he struggled and not in 5 mins.

Probably, just to give you a perspective gazza struggled with a similar bar if I remember right. He did it, but he struggled and not in 5 mins.

Its the bar I will give my friends when they say stupid stuff like "I could bend that if I wanted to " A guys gotta dream big right?

1/4"x5" Grade 5 Reverse:

After completing this bend I attempted a piece of 6"x1/4" sq DU and got it to 38 degrees. I should be able to get it to 40 degrees in the near future.

great work again Kev!

I got a 6.5x5/16 FBBC square done tonight. I will deal with the video tomorrow. I tried a 6"x5/16 FBBC shiny square too but ran out of gas at 3.5"

- Aaron

I got a 6.5x5/16 FBBC square done tonight. I will deal with the video tomorrow. I tried a 6"x5/16 FBBC shiny square too but ran out of gas at 3.5"

- Aaron

Holy crap Aaron! :rock Nice to see you're back up to form man. Huge Shiny Square is... :blink

- Aaron

damn .................................... great bending Aaron .............. doesn't suprise me though, I saw your crush strength at your comp :rock I think you have a six inch CRS square in you and the stainless - your ridiculous!

crap cakes! I just saw your vid Aaron - very nice! :rock

• 2 weeks later...

1/4"x6" sq DU:

This is a big pr for me. I was pleased that I got it to 40 degrees in one hit, but disappointed that I couldn't get it any further with additional hits. I'll probably attempt 5.5" sq or a 5" g8 next.

1/4"x6" sq DU:

This is a big pr for me. I was pleased that I got it to 40 degrees in one hit, but disappointed that I couldn't get it any further with additional hits. I'll probably attempt 5.5" sq or a 5" g8 next.

great work Kev! - I'll start on my bending for the comp sometime I guess :rolleyes Keep up the good work!

Seems like some peeps are slow to get started on this (like me), so if everyone is ok with this I'd like to extend the "cut-off" date and make it July 1st of 09 - kinda far away, but gives everyone time to pratice all forms of bending and get a little stronger to boot. If anyone has a problem with this, speak up so we can neg. the ending date. If not, July 1st it will be, so get all your bends in BEFORE this date and on the 1st I can make a final .. consolidated list (easier fr everyone to see all the bends) and then work on the scoring. Cool?!

Edited by Paul Knight