Bending Only Comp

Paul Knight

not sure if I missed it somewhere, but does the steel have to be FBBC. cause I got some 1018 CRS from speedymetals the other day and its callin my name

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• matthcarl

• bencrush

• nockowt1

not sure if I missed it somewhere, but does the steel have to be FBBC. cause I got some 1018 CRS from speedymetals the other day and its callin my name

it doesn't, but it will make scoring alot easier if the steel is somewhere in the steel calibration log pinned at the top of the bending forum - go for it if its calling your name and we'll figure something out - smash it!

I hit a new reverse PR, bending a 6"x5/16" G2 today. I'll post the video in the log in a bit...it is rather dark, and if it's not good enough let me know.

I still have a ways to go, but with this bend I am starting to fee the BIEW cert is within the realm of possibility.

Edited by The Writer

I hit a new reverse PR, bending a 6"x5/16" G2 today. I'll post the video in the log in a bit...it is rather dark, and if it's not good enough let me know.

I still have a ways to go, but with this bend I am starting to fee the BIEW cert is within the realm of possibility.

awesome Matt! BIEW is calling you!

6"x1/4" Grade 5 Reverse:

6"x1/4" Grade 8 DU (then crushed down DO):

Strong work Kevin :rock

6"x1/4" Grade 5 Reverse:

6"x1/4" Grade 8 DU (then crushed down DO):

very nice Kev!

Thanks guys. The grade 8 was a pr because I've never crushed down a grade 8 before (since I don't bend DO).

Good luck Matt with BIEW. You may have inspired me to try a reverse pr.

Nice job. Do you know what that piece of steel would be comparable to (bastard, red, etc)?

the 1018 should be similar to a bastard or red at 7". Nice job on that, I can't watch the video but something has been all screwed up with my flash recently, only half of youtube videos work either.

Matt nice work on that reverse g2. I can't wait to see it.

Kevin, that G8 bend was pretty nice...I hope you do go for a new PR soon :rock

Matt nice work on that reverse g2. I can't wait to see it.

Thanks...youtube hasn't been cooperating lately, so I still don't have it uploaded :angry:

1/4"x5.5" Grade 8 DU

I wanted to finish this bend, but it was not meant to be. It completely froze at 3". I need to work on my crushdown. Maybe next time.

Nice job with the 5.5" G8 Kevin...I can't crush one down either :blush

I am uploading a video now of a Diamond #1 Hind bend. It is a hair short of 180 degrees, but I still believe it should score higher than my DC0 bend.

According to the list my 5.5 grade 8 DU is better than bending a bastard. I was wondering if everyone agrees with that(in regards to virtual bending comp).

I personally feel a bastard is tougher on the kinking end than a 5.5" G8. I can at least partly kink a 5" G8 DU, but I can't move a bastard at all.

I dunno. There are so many variables on that one; which batch of bastards, the 7'' length makes the bastard harder to kink imo, and I think the bigger diameter also makes the kink a wee bit harder(depending on which batch). I really cant say either way, they're real close. I will agree on whatever the popular consensus is. The only reason I even question it is that with the new 480 bastards, there isn't a whole lot of difference between them and the shiny on the kink. :blink

Edited by Foxman

I agree that bending a bastard is definitely tougher than a 5.5" g8 (that's one of the reasons I asked), but the calibration on the toughest bastard is 515 and the calibration on the g8 is 525. I'm willing to go with whatever the majority decides.

I agree that bending a bastard is definitely tougher than a 5.5" g8 (that's one of the reasons I asked), but the calibration on the toughest bastard is 515 and the calibration on the g8 is 525. I'm willing to go with whatever the majority decides.

Yeah BUT you CANNOT compare calibration numbers of varying lengths, it just doesn't work. That's why an Insane bastard clearly isn't harder then a KOASB even if does cal higher. Personally on just the kink I think the Bastard, especially the last couple of batches, are harder. If you also accounted for crush they would be somewhat comparable, but for just kink on DU or Reverse I'd say the bastards are harder.

Yeah BUT you CANNOT compare calibration numbers of varying lengths, it just doesn't work. That's why an Insane bastard clearly isn't harder then a KOASB even if does cal higher. Personally on just the kink I think the Bastard, especially the last couple of batches, are harder. If you also accounted for crush they would be somewhat comparable, but for just kink on DU or Reverse I'd say the bastards are harder.

Derek is right - we are using the Nailmans rules for the bending comp which would mean we are comparing like length bars

Worlds apart in terms of how they feel Kevin. I understand your question though. I'd rate a 515 Bastard around a 5" G8 overall.

Guys, this bend by Mike deserves some comments for sure, so I thought I would post it here for him - he only posted it in the VBC log

his DU insane Shiny!:

these shinys that I sent him were harder than normal I think - that was a very tough piece of steel he bent there :rock way to go Mike! :rock:rock

I saw that in the other thread...amazing DU power :bow

Worlds apart in terms of how they feel Kevin. I understand your question though. I'd rate a 515 Bastard around a 5" G8 overall.

I've never tried one of the 515 bastards, but the 480's feel harder than a 5.5" grade 8. At least IMO. Great bend either way Kevin :rock

515 bastards?? I wonder if I have those from my recent purchase from John at the BBB4. No matter how hard I try all I can do is put a little kink in the darn things. Of course it could be that I just stil need to build up my strength, lol.

515 bastards?? I wonder if I have those from my recent purchase from John at the BBB4. No matter how hard I try all I can do is put a little kink in the darn things. Of course it could be that I just stil need to build up my strength, lol.

I thought John Beatty said all the 515 bastards were gone priot to that, but I could be wrong. All my bastards from early this year are 515 lbs. I can personally guarantee they are harder than even a 5" G8 DU. I haven't had the pleasure of trying a 480 lb. bastard...my original batch from my bender's bag (wich I certed on) only hit 430 lbs.

Guys, this bend by Mike deserves some comments for sure, so I thought I would post it here for him - he only posted it in the VBC log

his DU insane Shiny!:

these shinys that I sent him were harder than normal I think - that was a very tough piece of steel he bent there :rock way to go Mike! :rock:rock

Awesome power Mike!!! That's an incredible bend there brother! You deserve it! :cool:rock :rock :rock

I updated my reverse and horseshoe videos n the VBC log...a 5/16 G2 and a Diamond Hind respectively.

I bent a 6"x7mm piece of stainless steel DU as well (considerably harder than a G2) but it didn't record onto my memory card :(