Bending Only Comp

Paul Knight

So smaller shoe Beats bigger shoe. Is that what we are going by or has it not been decided Yet? It's hard with shoes because not everyone has tried the diffrent kinds. I am cool with wahtever you guys come up with.

If I have any say, I think that's the way to go. #5 manufactured shoes(Diamonds, SCF's, KH's, etc) have all either looked way harder or were way harder than the smaller shoes though. I'm not sure where to put #5's, if that's what your aiming for.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• matthcarl

• bencrush

• nockowt1

Chad, I'm definitely looking forward to the KOAB video :rock

If we're going with smaller horse shoe wins, I will probably attempt a DC #00 shortly. I still think they're easier than any #2 I've tried, but it works to my advantage then.

Will any size Diamond Hind beat any size DC? Sheesh, this could get complicated.

Chad, I'm definitely looking forward to the KOAB video :rock

If we're going with smaller horse shoe wins, I will probably attempt a DC #00 shortly. I still think they're easier than any #2 I've tried, but it works to my advantage then.

Will any size Diamond Hind beat any size DC? Sheesh, this could get complicated.

Smash that shoe Matt!!!!!!!

not sure bout the hind - you'll need to consult w/Zack, Nick, Tim I, etc..

So smaller shoe Beats bigger shoe. Is that what we are going by or has it not been decided Yet? It's hard with shoes because not everyone has tried the diffrent kinds. I am cool with wahtever you guys come up with.

If I have any say, I think that's the way to go. #5 manufactured shoes(Diamonds, SCF's, KH's, etc) have all either looked way harder or were way harder than the smaller shoes though. I'm not sure where to put #5's, if that's what your aiming for.

We will see if I have another one of those in me. I need a little brake from it right now been doing to much. Had some new stuff I was doing and a show that I did a ton of stuff in, so I feel a little beat up right now. I would say the hinds are a little tougher than the dc shoe at the same size. What do you think Zach?

Edited by nickr104

I can't even remember what the beer and sweet tarts joke was. I know it was a joke at my expense by Aaron among others but I can't remember its origin or anything.

We will see if I have another one of those in me. I need a little brake from it right now been doing to much. Had some new stuff I was doing and a show that I did a ton of stuff in, so I feel a little beat up right now. I would say the hinds are a little tougher than the dc shoe at the same size. What do you think Zach?

Hinds are definitely tougher than regular DC or DS's. I'm not sure exactly why, but I've always felt that they were and I've bent literally a box full of them.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I can't even remember what the beer and sweet tarts joke was. I know it was a joke at my expense by Aaron among others but I can't remember its origin or anything.

I think your Mom is on one of your vids mentioning sweet tarts, and somehow it got picked up that it must be your 'secret weapon.' About the same time, Aaron completed the Bastard through Mag medley, apparently aided by alcohol. The next logical step was to combine the two, but I'm not sure anyone had the nerve to try...

I have only ever tried one Diamond #1 Hind, and thought it was easily harder than any DC. I was stopped short of 180 degrees.

I think your Mom is on one of your vids mentioning sweet tarts, and somehow it got picked up that it must be your 'secret weapon.' About the same time, Aaron completed the Bastard through Mag medley, apparently aided by alcohol. The next logical step was to combine the two, but I'm not sure anyone had the nerve to try...

I have only ever tried one Diamond #1 Hind, and thought it was easily harder than any DC. I was stopped short of 180 degrees.

Ahh yes, I remember that now, around the time of valentines day, thats the deal with the sweet tarts. :D

Maybe on the shoes we should only count the brand or type? Just a suggestion but in other words, have all diamond classics the same, which in turn would be beat by any lite rim and so on. The sizes would make it really hard to judge.

Just my opinion though so don't put too much stock in it.

Tim

Maybe on the shoes we should only count the brand or type? Just a suggestion but in other words, have all diamond classics the same, which in turn would be beat by any lite rim and so on. The sizes would make it really hard to judge.

Just my opinion though so don't put too much stock in it.

Tim

Not a bad idea, and it would make judging easier but that would be like having 30 lb jumps in 2HP or something, those slightly stronger then another have no way of showing it.

I think maybe we are getting a bit to technical with this, it has to be for fun because there are so many variance factors involved. The shoes like any other steel can have enormous variance, even in the same box. So having a loose difficulty order for all brands and sizes should work out good enough without making this thing have a bazillion categories to try and find a scoring system for.

If you feel sore because most disagree with your shoe assement, and I'm really not pointing any fingers here at all, maybe you just bent a real hard one and the next ones you get will just feel allot easier. I have not bent nearly enough shoes to know their relative variance, bending one or 2 of each shoe doesn't really mean much. I will defer to Zach and Nick an Adam if he chooses to chime in and I suggest we just go with whatever they come up with.

Also about the bazillion category thing, we really need to set a limit because how are you to judge evenly if everyone doesn't complete all the events? And the more events included the greater the likelihood more people are not going to complete them all. I would love to see long bar scrolling for example but I realize almost noone is going to get around to that event if you include it and it will throw the whole thing out of whack.

Hey I would try that if I had some of both....

- Aaron

I think maybe we are getting a bit to technical with this, it has to be for fun because there are so many variance factors involved. The shoes like any other steel can have enormous variance, even in the same box. So having a loose difficulty order for all brands and sizes should work out good enough without making this thing have a bazillion categories to try and find a scoring system for.

If you feel sore because most disagree with your shoe assement, and I'm really not pointing any fingers here at all, maybe you just bent a real hard one and the next ones you get will just feel allot easier. I have not bent nearly enough shoes to know their relative variance, bending one or 2 of each shoe doesn't really mean much. I will defer to Zach and Nick an Adam if he chooses to chime in and I suggest we just go with whatever they come up with.

Also about the bazillion category thing, we really need to set a limit because how are you to judge evenly if everyone doesn't complete all the events? And the more events included the greater the likelihood more people are not going to complete them all. I would love to see long bar scrolling for example but I realize almost noone is going to get around to that event if you include it and it will throw the whole thing out of whack.

I've been told, and I tend to agree(though I'm bias) that this is one of the best references for shoes out there and it ranges from UL 0 - Reg 2 Rim with the next toughest shoe being a Reg 2 Plain. The Diamond Hinds, in everyone who has tried them's opinion, would go between the DC's and the Lites.

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/120387896..._739_324402.jpg

I still contend that Size 1 shoes are some of the hardest shoes next to 00 and 000's. That rings true for the UL's, DC's, and Hinds in my opinion. Tim, your right. Tim, your also right. Paul, how about it? Have all the shoes of a particular brand count for the same pts, everyone can have their favorite size(or only size they have possibly) and go for it. Manufactured #5's are far and away harder than any size below them, so those will beat any other shoe of the same brand.

Going by brand sounds fair as far as shoe bending. Though I would say maybe extremes should get bonus points, if Eric wants to go for another 000PL :laugh

Grade 5:

No doubt about that one! Nice work Kevin :rock

OK - looks like we are starting to get a few on board w/the VBC (Virtual Bending Comp). I'm going to open a new thread for everyone to post their links of their bends in (or re-post), so that it will be easier to keep track of. If you have already posted your link in this thread, please re-post it in the new thread - thanks in advance

I did a little more bending today...no PR's, but trying to get a few baseline bends in for the comp:

DU - 6"x5/16" G2 (307A L...not an especially hard bolt)

Horseshoe - DC0 (Not hearted, Nick has me beat :D)

Reverse - Griprite 60d (my reverse is lousy lately)

I'll post the video links in the VBC log as soon as they're all uploaded to youtube. I also tried a 10" spike, which would have been a PR, but it kicked my butt.

I did a little more bending today...no PR's, but trying to get a few baseline bends in for the comp:

DU - 6"x5/16" G2 (307A L...not an especially hard bolt)

Horseshoe - DC0 (Not hearted, Nick has me beat :D)

Reverse - Griprite 60d (my reverse is lousy lately)

I'll post the video links in the VBC log as soon as they're all uploaded to youtube. I also tried a 10" spike, which would have been a PR, but it kicked my butt.

Very nice - think your in the lead right now Matt :rock

St Croix 5 X-TRA

Sorry about the comment in the video link thread. I can't read Paul. :blush:D

Nice bening Matt!

Nice bending Matt!

Thanks, but I've got nothing on that #5 :bow That is one big shoe. I wouldn't know the difference in difficulty between that and Zach's, but it looks impressive whether it wins or not :cool

St Croix 5 X-TRA

Sorry about the comment in the video link thread. I can't read Paul. :blush:D

Nice bening Matt!

Its cool - I almost did the same thing out of habit :laugh

6"x1/4" Grade 5 Reverse:

6"x1/4" Grade 8 DU (then crushed down DO):

very nice Kev!

For everyone posting links in the VBC log, please identify you bends like Matt and Kevin have done. Follow the format shown in post #1 please - thanks in advance