Paul Knight

What if there were a bending only comp w/the following events

#1 DO

#2 Reverse

#3 DU

#4 Braced bending spike length

#5 Braced Mid-Length

#6 Horse-shoes

sound kinda cool? a bending only comp - gee ..... I wander who all would show?

:calm its just a thought right know

Paul sounds fun, if its down south next summer i am game bro

DO 7" 5/16 gr8

Rv 7" 5/16 CRS

DU 7" 5/16 CRS,

braced spike length as in 12" no idea, i do the 12" ones on the back of my head at events lately

braced mid length lets call it no padding at all, no hand wraps, nothing but your body and the steel 5/8 some where in the low 30" range for a fish

Shoes hand forged #5's to "S" or KH #4 hearted

Edited by SSGGLASS

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• matthcarl

• bencrush

• nockowt1

What if there were a bending only comp w/the following events

#1 DO

#2 Reverse

#3 DU

#5 Braced Mid-Length

#6 Horse-shoes

sound kinda cool? a bending only comp - gee ..... I wander who all would show?

:calm its just a thought right know

Paul sounds fun, if its down south next summer i am game bro

DO 7" 5/16 gr8

Rv 7" 5/16 CRS

DU 7" 5/16 CRS,

braced spike length as in 12" no idea, i do the 12" ones on the back of my head at events lately

braced mid length lets call it no padding at all, no hand wraps, nothing but your body and the steel 5/8 some where in the low 30" range for a fish

Shoes hand forged #5's to "S" or KH #4 hearted

adam have you bent 5/16 g8??

I would be up for some of this :D

I think you should include the Heslep style as well as its another good way of testing the wrists.Maybe even have in double bar bending also.

I would also go with the it has to be new bends/videos stops everyone resting on there lorals :D

Use stock thats available to everyone EG:-graded bolts,crs,hrs,stainless,drillrod etc in round,square and hex stock.No railroad spikes etc unless everyone gets to use them :D

Have points for the thickest stock but also for the shortest so it caters for everyone.

As for the braced stuff nothing exotic like wrenches etc just standard spikes and hrs and crs bars etc maybe even have some double spike bending etc.

Mid and long bar again stock that everyone can get ahold of the same with shoes.

How bout a looney bend that people vote on can be anything from in the teeth to in handcuffs behind the back etc people vote for the best one this will also get people if they want to trying new things and keeping the fun in it.

How bout setting a date and haveing say a 6,8 or 12 mths date to aim at people could start posating vids straight away and as they get stronger then post bigger bends etc.

I havent done any mid/long bar bending in a while or shoes so i am lloking forward to that my braced bending sucks also.

Well Paul, you started this so lets here what you have to say. Are you going to hold a physical contest, or keep it as a virtual challenge?

If a virtual challenge, I'd like to combine some of the things Adam and Gazza said. Since it's Virtual, no problems will be had with adding in a few more things. So how about with the braced bar bending, any bends done without pads count for an extra 1" to make it easier to score(no knee/thigh pads or wraps, both must be missing to get the extra points)? And we could throw in the wild card bend that Gazza mentioned, in the teeth/handcuffs/barehand unbraced/etc.(mainly because I know he'll go for something that I want to see :laugh )

I'm also against doing wrenches and stuff like that. I have been unable, in 6 months of on and off looking, to find any possible wrenches. All I can find are wrenches that bare a striking resemblance to I beams that NO ONE can bend, let alone me.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I don't have much of an opinion on how bends are scored, but it would be neat to see a virtual competition.

Here are my PR's for this contest. Some of these were done awhile ago and I doubt I could get anywhere close on the unbraced stuff, particularly the DO. Braced bending, I could probably do all of these again.

#1 = Grand Bastard

#2 = 5-1/2" or 5" x 1/4" G5

#3 = Bastard

#4 = 10" x 3/8" GripRite bright common spike, 12" FBBC spike

#5 = 26" x 5/8" HRS (took 8 minutes though)

#6 = St. Croix Forge, Plain Lite #2 to 180 degrees in about 1 minute

Excellent idea, Paul.

#1 DO

#2 Reverse

#3 DU

#5 Braced Mid-Length

#6 Horse-shoes

1. 6" Red was my best - can't do DO anymore

2. Bastard Bar or the 505# DR at GGC

3. Never really tried it seriously - I've done a few G5 bolts

4. An "easy" 12" spike - not sure of the brand

5. 24" piece of 1/2" A36

6. St Croix Ultralite #2 - I'm not very good at shoes at all

All of these except the reverse I doubt I can do now except perhaps the 24" of 1/2" stock. I seem to do better on the braced stuff when I'm scrolling regularly.

If you're having a "bending" comp - why not include the longer bars as well with David's rules and sizes? I'd like to see some 7/8" or 1" HR go down at 4' length.

I don't consider myself a bender at all - I just wanted to see how I compared with everyone - poorly it seems :blush

Edited by climber511

Zach (or whoever) - if your game, you can take over the idea and handle the virtual comp if you like - its already giving me a head-ache :laugh

but if people decide they would rather do the physical comp, I could manage it, but it wouldn't be til later in 2009

Edited by Paul Knight

Why not both? Or at least virtual until it is possible to arrange an actual event?

Also I would say depending on the length bar no wraps can make a huge or minor difference. On a 4' bar it isn't too much harder, on a 5" bend it is enormous. So while I know it is a hot spot there would need to be some kind of standardization or it would be damn hard to score a handicap sort of deal like you were saying Zach. Or just use what you like and score it all evenly.

For an extra fun event strength scrolls might be fun, like a certain size S or W, braced and/or unbraced. Maybe one of each like shortest 1/2" S and shortest unbraced 5/16" S?

Why not both? Or at least virtual until it is possible to arrange an actual event?

Also I would say depending on the length bar no wraps can make a huge or minor difference. On a 4' bar it isn't too much harder, on a 5" bend it is enormous. So while I know it is a hot spot there would need to be some kind of standardization or it would be damn hard to score a handicap sort of deal like you were saying Zach. Or just use what you like and score it all evenly.

For an extra fun event strength scrolls might be fun, like a certain size S or W, braced and/or unbraced. Maybe one of each like shortest 1/2" S and shortest unbraced 5/16" S?

Indeed (on the wraps)

how did I know you were gonna mention scrolling Tim :laugh I'm cool w/whatever - eventhough you'd put the stamp on me w/the scrolling :rolleyes

Sounds like a great idea but I doubt I could travel to TX to compete. I love the format though.

My PRs are / were:

1: 7 inch by 5/16 304 stainless.

2: 5.5 inch G5

3: 1/4 by 7 inch FBBC square. Not an official cert.

4: 1/2 inch by 9 inch official.

5: 5/8 by 24 inch official / 5/8 by 23 inch personal PR.

6: St croix #1 lite rim.

Wrenches vary WAY to much to make a comp out of them in my opinion. Only realistic possibility would be the craftsman tappet wrenches although they vary some too.

One could always do a WSM event like they used to do their bending. Looks cool but is hard as heck and injury is a very real possibility.

Tim

how did I know you were gonna mention scrolling Tim :laugh I'm cool w/whatever - eventhough you'd put the stamp on me w/the scrolling :rolleyes

No man I am better with the big and artistic stuff, I know you can S or W much shorter steel of the same thickness than I can. That 5/8" x 20" was nuts and you looked good for more. I bet you could S a 30" or under 5/8" bar that most people are just trying to U.

TIM T

Im all for some of that on the head or around the neck bending.

TIM I

I am also up for some short,mid or long bar scholling maybe even add an event were the most creatve like your Raven and stuff wins if the comps got a 6-12mths from now that gives people plenty to try some stuff.

Maybe put a list up here of the agreed stuff that people can use the unbraced stock,braced stock,horsesheos etc then people who are thinking about or going to compete then they can just look in this thread instead of elsewhere.

Fellas, I suggested this like 2 months ago and was shot down by Zach and others as it being a stupid idea that would never work. Only listen to Paul? Please say no because we had a big joke argument over this and I want to prove I was right :D As this was my idea, I think it's great!

Tim T, tappet wrenches would be WAY too expenisve, albeit very cool. You'd have to up the individual entry fee by $20-25 just for that event. Regular wrenches would be the same even if you could somehow find consistent wrenches.

Making a hierarchy for horseshoes would be a pain and I don't know how many of what you intend to use Paul. 180? 90? heart? One of each like Aaron's comp?

We should do an artistic scrolling comp :laugh Have some people from the Dallas museum of Art or something to judge scrolls :D:laugh

Fellas, I suggested this like 2 months ago and was shot down by Zach and others as it being a stupid idea that would never work. Only listen to Paul? Please say no because we had a big joke argument over this and I want to prove I was right :D As this was my idea, I think it's great!

Tim T, tappet wrenches would be WAY too expenisve, albeit very cool. You'd have to up the individual entry fee by $20-25 just for that event. Regular wrenches would be the same even if you could somehow find consistent wrenches.

Making a hierarchy for horseshoes would be a pain and I don't know how many of what you intend to use Paul. 180? 90? heart? One of each like Aaron's comp?

We should do an artistic scrolling comp :laugh Have some people from the Dallas museum of Art or something to judge scrolls :D:laugh

I don't remember calling it "stupid", just expensive :happy

You laugh, but I don't think it would be all too difficult to get museum folks to judge scrolls(even if it's just a take a picture and send it in kind of thing) if it's presented in a serious way.

I think it would be alot of fun we we had a virtual competition where everyone submitted videos on a comp day and biggest bend or biggest total score from the variety of bends wins. It would giv eme at least soemthing to train towards i tihnk it would be great. Even though i only DO bend lol

OK - we could start the virtual bending comp today and talk about the physical comp later - like gazza said, just put a deadline on when all the vids have to be up (think it was gazza?)

1. Can't use any video's already made - state your intentions on the video so that we know its not an old video, ie.. "My name is ------, and this bending is being performed for the virtual bending comp" something like that.

2. Each bend must be performed following cert rules - FBBC, David Horne's - World of Grip, so that not only can you use your bend for the comp, but also to cert on :)

we can hash out the scoring as we go along - just start bending and keep a video log of your bends to use for the comp

the only tricky thing that I can think of is calibrated steel on DO, DU, and reverse .............. Any ideas besides sending a billion peices to Eric for cal?

horse shoes - we could score like this: 180 beats 90 and heart beats 180 if its the same shoe. I agree w/Zach that the smaller the St. Croix shoe the harder, ie.. lite rim 2 is easier than a lite rim 1 - however a DC1 is easier than a DC2 right? shoes shouldn't be too hard unless we get all these funky shoes being bent that most havn't messed with.

we could make the deadline 3 months from today or whatever, if your not cool w/this, suggest a deadline that we can all agree on - I wouldn't like anything sooner cause I got alot goin on right now.

and if you submit a bend and you beat it later within the deadline, it can replace your previous bend. ex: I bent a bastard then a monthe later I bend a big bastard, I could use my big bastard as my best bend. capische?

anyone care to elaborate on some more ideas?

I'm submitting all by bending vids wearing my halloween costume, which I don't know what it's gonna be yet... :tongue

Well ok it MAY be Richard Simmons :laugh

I'm submitting all by bending vids wearing my halloween costume, which I don't know what it's gonna be yet... :tongue

Well ok it MAY be Richard Simmons :laugh

HaHa thats great! we can also present the "Funniest video award" when all is said and done! ............ I think Chad will win.

Sounds awesome, for the fun factor if nothing else. I'm going to bend tomorrow and kick it off.

No way is Chad skinny enough to pull off Richard Simmons.

Sounds awesome, for the fun factor if nothing else. I'm going to bend tomorrow and kick it off.

No way is Chad skinny enough to pull off Richard Simmons.

HAHAH I think it would be stinkin helarious! I did weigh 199.1 this morning :D

Maybe for bending stock it would have to be FBBC or known calibrated bolts? Otherwise there'd be no way to really standardize it.

OK - we could start the virtual bending comp today and talk about the physical comp later - like gazza said, just put a deadline on when all the vids have to be up (think it was gazza?)

1. Can't use any video's already made - state your intentions on the video so that we know its not an old video, ie.. "My name is ------, and this bending is being performed for the virtual bending comp" something like that.

2. Each bend must be performed following cert rules - FBBC, David Horne's - World of Grip, so that not only can you use your bend for the comp, but also to cert on :)

we can hash out the scoring as we go along - just start bending and keep a video log of your bends to use for the comp

the only tricky thing that I can think of is calibrated steel on DO, DU, and reverse .............. Any ideas besides sending a billion peices to Eric for cal?

horse shoes - we could score like this: 180 beats 90 and heart beats 180 if its the same shoe. I agree w/Zach that the smaller the St. Croix shoe the harder, ie.. lite rim 2 is easier than a lite rim 1 - however a DC1 is easier than a DC2 right? shoes shouldn't be too hard unless we get all these funky shoes being bent that most havn't messed with.

we could make the deadline 3 months from today or whatever, if your not cool w/this, suggest a deadline that we can all agree on - I wouldn't like anything sooner cause I got alot goin on right now.

and if you submit a bend and you beat it later within the deadline, it can replace your previous bend. ex: I bent a bastard then a monthe later I bend a big bastard, I could use my big bastard as my best bend. capische?

anyone care to elaborate on some more ideas?

I like it!!! A DC1 is harder than a DC2. We'll just keep it nice and linear for the shoes. 0 beats 1 beats 2 beats 3, etc. That does kind of funnel everyone into doing smaller shoes but why not? Just a point of interest Paul, where would you put the PL/bronco shoes?

A DC1 is harder than a DC2

If the consensus says smaller is harder, fine, but I not only disagree, I think there's no comparison. Since DC's are the only shoes I can get locally, I have bent enough to be pretty sure this is not batch variation.

A DC1 is harder than a DC2

If the consensus says smaller is harder, fine, but I not only disagree, I think there's no comparison. Since DC's are the only shoes I can get locally, I have bent enough to be pretty sure this is not batch variation.

Alot of people have told me that the DC1 is easier than the 2, but I honestly can't tell - I'll let you guys hammer that out - it doesn't make a diffence to me.