Paul Knight

What if there were a bending only comp w/the following events

#1 DO

#2 Reverse

#3 DU

#4 Braced bending spike length

#5 Braced Mid-Length

#6 Horse-shoes

sound kinda cool? a bending only comp - gee ..... I wander who all would show?

:calm its just a thought right know

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• matthcarl

• bencrush

• nockowt1

I'd love to try it, even though I suck at DU & Reverse.

That sounds very cool. It would be even cooler if it were hosted in Upstate NY :whistel

Sounds really cool. But it would be even cooler if you had the comp in sweden. It's a bit of a drive I know...

LOVE IT!!!!!! :rock :rock :rock :rock

The events in order-

#1- Yay

#2- Ugh

#3- Yay/ugh

#4- YAY!!!

#5- YAY

#6- WHALAOIJDGKLNSOIHOEIKNOSGIHALIJDOIGNEOIASWOAJHOJEWITOSOME!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be there almost without a doubt if horseshoes are actually a contested event :devil Even if it's in some stupid hot place like Texas.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Not something I would come to but I love the idea - there should be some HUGE steel mangled in a meet like this!

Cool, but it would be better if it was here in Dubai :D

I'm kind of curious as to who does all six styles, and what people's various PR's are. Obviously the endurance factor would kick in doing all six in one day. Anyway, here are my bests added up:

#1 DO - 515 lb. Bastard/Golden Bastard/6.5" Red nail (Take your pick, not sure which is toughest overall)

#2 Reverse - 5" G5

#3 DU - 7"x7mm stainless

#4 Braced bending spike length - 12" Griprite

#5 Braced Mid-Length - 16"x1/2" HRS (I think...my best at 5/8" was 32" or 30")

#6 Horse-shoes - DC2 to 180, Diamond Hind #1 to 90 depending how you score. If we have to heart anything, I'm done :D (Note: for purely theoretical scoring purposes I'd like to see how sizes factor in. Zach and Derek have both claimed smaller size DC's are harder. I've done multiple bends on DC's from #00 through #2 and consider the #2 to easily be the toughest)

I'm kind of curious as to who does all six styles, and what people's various PR's are. Obviously the endurance factor would kick in doing all six in one day. Anyway, here are my bests added up:

#1 DO - 515 lb. Bastard/Golden Bastard/6.5" Red nail (Take your pick, not sure which is toughest overall)

#2 Reverse - 5" G5

#3 DU - 7"x7mm stainless

#4 Braced bending spike length - 12" Griprite

#5 Braced Mid-Length - 16"x1/2" HRS (I think...my best at 5/8" was 32" or 30")

#6 Horse-shoes - DC2 to 180, Diamond Hind #1 to 90 depending how you score. If we have to heart anything, I'm done :D (Note: for purely theoretical scoring purposes I'd like to see how sizes factor in. Zach and Derek have both claimed smaller size DC's are harder. I've done multiple bends on DC's from #00 through #2 and consider the #2 to easily be the toughest)

Here are mine

#1 DO - hehe not tellin

#2 Reverse 5.5 G5

#3 DU 60d

#4 Braced Spike length 14"x1/2" HRS

#5 Mid braced 28"x5/8 HRS

#6 DC2 past 180

I would likely get smoked in the overall on this virtual contest.

#1- Edgin(getting better with this DR though...)

#2- 6" G5

#3- 6" hard G5

#4- medium strength 80d in small pads

#5- 14"x1/2" National HRS(what is mid-length?)

#6- Hearted a Lite Rim #2 and some draft shoes.

If I can throw an opinion in for the shoe scoring, I'd like to say that the smaller shoes are harder overall than the bigger shoes. So if you hold this comp, a Regular Rim #1 would beat a Regular Rim #2.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

#1- 515 Bastard

#2- Whatever that bar I did at GGC was

#3- Umm.... no idea lol

#4- 12" Griprite spike

#5- 10"x1/2" Aluminum

#6- Hearted SCF UL #0-2, I say the #1 was hardest. I also took an unidentified shoe to 180.

Oh yea I'd definitely be in for this comp even though I'd get MEGA-PWNED by just about everyone there. I think Sweden is a little too far for me to drive though. Sorry bro. :laugh

#1 DO- Mag Shiny

#2 Rev.- Grand 0-1 DR

#3 DU- Psycho of course! :D

#4 Hard 10'' Keystone

#5 Prob. 16ish'' 1/2'' A36

#6 SCF Lite plain #3 to 175ish, DC2 past 180, 00,0,1 Diamond hinds to 180, SCF #2 reg. rim to 140ish.

Unbraced would be alright, but I would likely get owned in the braced stuff. :blush

Interesting variations...looks like it's hard to be really well rounded.

(Meaning Paul would win :laugh)

Are you hosting in Texas Paul? I am with Matt, I think unless Gazza comes overseas you would have this pretty well wrapped up. There are certainly guys that could beat you in individual events but you would beat the unbraced benders on the braced stuff and vice versa. Hell you will probably beat most of the braced benders at their own game, I certainly would only be there for fun.

Another aspect of this is strength endurance. I don't think anyone can match all their best bends in the same day. For me doing heavy DU or reverse pretty well kills the other and DO. Bending a hard shoe will kill my mid and spike braced attempts. I know for me at least I would have to scale back everythying to be able to do all of them even morderately well.

For what it's worth, and I would have a hard time doing some of these by themselves right now

#1 DO- shiny

#2 Rev.- 6" g5

#3 DU- 6" g8

#4 13.5" x 1/2" hrs

#5 21" x 5/8" hrs

#6 SCF Lite rim #1 to 180

and I guess long bars would be too costly?

Sounds fun Paul !!! Id get get a whoopin but stand much better chance with this than any grip comps.......

Wow! - sounds like there may be enough interest to pull this off - kinda what I was trying to figure out.

I like how everyone posts their best beside the event.

Tim - good points - maybe we could do just two attempts on each to conserve for the other bends? not sure how that would work - long rests between the styles of bending? or maybe we could stagger the events that could affect the similar bends ie DO, then reverse, then DU, then braced, then shoes, then braced again - maybe that would work - anymore ideas?

also - do the bending styles listed cover all of bending in the grand scheme of things? am I missing anything - Eric mentioned odd object bending, wrenches etc.., but I think that is pretty much the same as braced. I know there is Heslep style and vertical, but I don't think enough are interested to make this an event, but anyways...

sounds like everyone is already having a contest by listing their PR's - maybe we could just have a virtual comp or something (l think someone called it that) in this thread by everyone listing their PRs and have someone come-up with a scoring system and have them tally everything up and announce the winner!

It would be a good way for someone to figure out where they are at in bending and see what they need to work on.

Any volunteers? ( I don't feel like fart'in w/it )

This will have to be done by the honor system of course

OK, I have a scoring system. Lets see... you get 50 points for everything you bend, +10 bonus points if you do it really fast, and +1,000,000 points if your name is Josh McCann. :whistel

Oh hey! I won! Nice contest guys! Same time next year? :laugh :laugh :laugh

Wow! - sounds like there may be enough interest to pull this off - kinda what I was trying to figure out.

Tim - good points - maybe we could do just two attempts on each to conserve for the other bends? not sure how that would work - long rests between the styles of bending? or maybe we could stagger the events that could affect the similar bends ie DO, then reverse, then DU, then braced, then shoes, then braced again - maybe that would work - anymore ideas?

also - do the bending styles listed cover all of bending in the grand scheme of things? am I missing anything - Eric mentioned odd object bending, wrenches etc.., but I think that is pretty much the same as braced. I know there is Heslep style and vertical, but I don't think enough are interested to make this an event, but anyways...

sounds like everyone is already having a contest by listing their PR's - maybe we could just have a virtual comp or something (l think someone called it that) in this thread by everyone listing their PRs and have someone come-up with a scoring system and have them tally everything up and announce the winner!

It would be a good way for someone to figure out where they are at in bending and see what they need to work on.

How about a virtual bending contest where all videos have to be posted on or by a certain date and time? Rules are simply show what you are bending(measure thickness and length) and done as strictly as cert vids. That means no "funny business" during the vid and no obvious cheats will be allowed. Sound good?

Strongman scoring would be difficult for this type of situation but Chris's(whatever it's called) scoring system, where everything is divided by the best and given points accordingly, would be perfect. Shorter stock wins, thicker stock beats shorter stock, smaller shoes beat bigger shoes of the same size. Why not go by the generally accepted(by those of us who have gone that far) progression of shoes where it goes:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7025

Plain shoes beat Rimmed shoes, it would go from SCF UL-DC-Lites-Regs-KH SSP. PL's fit in there somewhere but you and Eric will have to fit those in because I have only ever bent 1 awhile back and it was super tough. For ease of scoring, no hand forged shoes because they vary so darned much.

How about a virtual bending contest where all videos have to be posted on or by a certain date and time? Rules are simply show what you are bending(measure thickness and length) and done as strictly as cert vids. That means no "funny business" during the vid and no obvious cheats will be allowed. Sound good?

Strongman scoring would be difficult for this type of situation but Chris's(whatever it's called) scoring system, where everything is divided by the best and given points accordingly, would be perfect. Shorter stock wins, thicker stock beats shorter stock, smaller shoes beat bigger shoes of the same size. Why not go by the generally accepted(by those of us who have gone that far) progression of shoes where it goes:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7025

Plain shoes beat Rimmed shoes, it would go from SCF UL-DC-Lites-Regs-KH SSP. PL's fit in there somewhere but you and Eric will have to fit those in because I have only ever bent 1 awhile back and it was super tough. For ease of scoring, no hand forged shoes because they vary so darned much.

sounds good to me! do they have to be new video's Zach? :tongue

sounds good to me! do they have to be new video's Zach? :tongue

I would think they should be :tongue It's not necessarily a competition if all you end up doing is reposting old vids ;)

Perhaps a rule that any video submitted has to have the competitor state that it is an attempt for the Bending Challenge on Gripboard or else it will be automatic disqualification?