Close A #4 Training

lloyd80s

I have never done any extensor work or recovery baths and have never had an injury or excessive soreness. Idk might be because I'm young but I feel its a bit overrated on how important it is for progress.

What he is doing is not something really new, kinny did basically the same thing along with many other great grip athletes. The problem is I don't know if he will be able to hold onto this progress. I have done overtraining programs with real lifting, and I become very strong very quick. However, my strength will see a slight drop after its done.

I think it's important to note that this is nothing at all like what Kinney did or recommends in his video or CoC chapter.

I was under the impression that he did lots of heavy negatives, thats basically what lloyd is doing though slightly different.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lloyd80s

• Cannon

• shizen

• Grippster

Lloyd, I'm inspired by your plan and the fact that you are yielding such positive results thus far. I'm really looking forward to tracking your progress from here on out to see what this experiment brings in the end.

I have never done any extensor work or recovery baths and have never had an injury or excessive soreness. Idk might be because I'm young but I feel its a bit overrated on how important it is for progress.

What he is doing is not something really new, kinny did basically the same thing along with many other great grip athletes. The problem is I don't know if he will be able to hold onto this progress. I have done overtraining programs with real lifting, and I become very strong very quick. However, my strength will see a slight drop after its done.

I think it's important to note that this is nothing at all like what Kinney did or recommends in his video or CoC chapter.

I was under the impression that he did lots of heavy negatives, thats basically what lloyd is doing though slightly different.

It's kind of like saying he's doing the same thing as Jeff Gordon because he's in a car. :D

i've done a similar training but instead of heavy negatives i just did a ton of reps with the #2 and then after i would try to do negs with the #3 and it worked for me to close the#3, but i do understand how some people say you will get a slight drop off of power, and i did experience this and soreness in my tendons on my left hand due to over training. it took several weeks to heal but i'm now back to full strength. maybe i will try a toned down version of your training, right now it seems a little to hardcore for me haha

It's kind of like saying he's doing the same thing as Jeff Gordon because he's in a car. :D

:D Exactly.

Ok today is the first time my hands have taken a dislike to the training. I got in the car this morning and grabbed the #4, and tried to do some negs. I would say I was only at about 10% of my normal strength :(

I'm puting this down to not having hardly any sleep, not having breakfast, and my hands being sore from last night. I'll kill them on the way home with 50 closes and see how it goes.

what about one "rest " day?

today seems to be suitable for it.

best of luck.

Rest days must be weekend days. If I make any changes in the plan then the end results will not be an acurate reflection of the past 3 months training.

I'm having a heavy lunch so I hope my energy levels will be up by this evening.

Ok today is the first time my hands have taken a dislike to the training. I got in the car this morning and grabbed the #4, and tried to do some negs. I would say I was only at about 10% of my normal strength :(

I'm puting this down to not having hardly any sleep, not having breakfast, and my hands being sore from last night. I'll kill them on the way home with 50 closes and see how it goes.

Lloyds, don't skip breakfast! :D

Roll down your windows on the way home. Maybe you can get a perk up from a chill in the air. Maybe it will generate a response from your body, I mean.

you told us you are sitting in the car for 2 hours or more... you have plenty of time to make breakfast in the car... bread with peanutbutter will do...lots of good fats in it, your joints will benefit from it...

Good luck man, it sounds like your hands are having a very hard time now... squizing the #3 will feel like a toy in the future....

hopefully... :upsidedwn

you told us you are sitting in the car for 2 hours or more... you have plenty of time to make breakfast in the car... bread with peanutbutter will do...lots of good fats in it, your joints will benefit from it...

Good luck man, it sounds like your hands are having a very hard time now... squizing the #3 will feel like a toy in the future....

hopefully... :upsidedwn

Good idea man, I love peanutbutter!

I'm puting this down to not having hardly any sleep, not having breakfast, and my hands being sore from last night.

Lesson #1: NEVER skip a meal!

Lesson #2: NEVER skip a meal!

Lesson #3: NEVER skip a meal!

Lesson #4: See lessons 1 thru 3

That's all for today, class. Have a nice day! ;)

I'm puting this down to not having hardly any sleep, not having breakfast, and my hands being sore from last night.

You're the bestest teacherin the hole wide world Mr. Hicks!!! :D:laugh

You're the bestest teacherin the hole wide world Mr. Hicks!!! :D:laugh

I've not skipped a meal since......My work desk draw is now full of bread and peanut butter.

• 3 weeks later...

The last 8 days has seen me not pick up a gripper at all. I've been sick as dog with a virus that I caught from my son, he's given it to the whole family! I've lost about 14lbs in this time and have never felt weaker. I've lost nearly #2 weeks of #4 training and I'm going to have to start this thing again and hope I get a clear run at it next time.

I'd finished nearly 7 weeks of this training and feel it was working well, the #4 was feeling completly different to when I started and I felt that within the next 6 weeks I should have been close to closing my goal gripper which is an Elite. I'm now going to review my gripper training and focus on getting the Elite closed by Christmas and set this as my primary goal.

I will return to training with only the #4 but I think I'll now wait until the start of 2009.

Overall this training is well worth a try, if you go into it with a positive mindset and no fear I feel it could show good results for all who try it. It's also been very good for the mind as you'll need to be on top of your game to carry on when your hands are crying out for rest.

I did aim on doing this for a full 3 months then showing a video on how I was doing on the #4 and the try and close my Elite, this would have been a good way to visualy demonstrate the effectivness of the training I had done. I now feel so weak that I'm just going to hope that muscle memory will kick in once I get my bodyweight back and I'll then be able to try this again and reach my goals. Right now I don't feel like I could crush a peach so I'm feeling pretty low but I'm happy that while i was pounding my hands with the #4 I didn't get any injurys and my hands stayed tough.

I'll report on how a fair on the Elite once I start training again.

Good luck in your training :rock

(Loading up the deadlift bar to 900...)

-Rex

LOL

What happened to your goal? Was it just an experiment?

You will loose strength, but you'll still be a bit stronger than when you started.

Rest good and long, then try again. Next time you will be stronger than when you started last time.

You will have to stop again, for one reason or another like I said. Your strength will go down again during this period, but not as low as this time. you will be stronger still.

rinse and repeat. IF YOU CAN... You will eventually get the #4; if that is your goal.

Of course every one says they would LIKE to close it, but we usually don't WANT it bad enough. It takes determination and perseverance that I will admit I don't want.

"Consider the postage stamp, my son. It secures success through its ability to stick to one thing till it gets there."

Billings, Josh American humorist (1818–1885)

GOOD LUCK to you lloyd80's!

"We make way for the man who boldly pushes past us."

Bovee, Christian Nestell Author (1820 - 1904)

What happened to your goal? Was it just an experiment?

You will loose strength, but you'll still be a bit stronger than when you started.

Rest good and long, then try again. Next time you will be stronger than when you started last time.

You will have to stop again, for one reason or another like I said. Your strength will go down again during this period, but not as low as this time. you will be stronger still.

rinse and repeat. IF YOU CAN... You will eventually get the #4; if that is your goal.

Of course every one says they would LIKE to close it, but we usually don't WANT it bad enough. It takes determination and perseverance that I will admit I don't want.

"Consider the postage stamp, my son. It secures success through its ability to stick to one thing till it gets there."

Billings, Josh American humorist (1818–1885)

GOOD LUCK to you lloyd80's!

My goal is still to close the #4 one day but as a stepping stone I'd like to get the Elite under my belt. The training I was doing was kind of an experiment to see how effective it would be but as I've had to cut the training short I can't really judge how effective it's been. I feel though it has made my mind stronger and I'm sure my strength has gone up. It was hard on the hands......really hard!

I will do it again but I'm going to work on the Elite now and try and get it closed by Christmas.

too bad you got ill.... and that you are forced to stop this experiment! Don't worry, if you are better you will quickly gain back your strength! good luck!!