Close A #4 Training

lloyd80s

I'm not going to give too much away but this training is going fantasticly well. I'm only 3 weeks in but I think once I hit end of it in 2 months you'll all be very suprised with the results. I wont tell anyone to try this yet but so far I can gaurentee that since I've been training NOTHING has been this effective.

Whoever recomended having a couple of rest days, I thank you. I'm stil going Monday to Friday and resting at the weekends and I'm finding that on Mondays I'm noticing that my strength has gone up again.

You have my support fellow Brit!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lloyd80s

• Cannon

• shizen

• Grippster

Fair play mate. Anyone who trains HARD deserves respect and if you are getting very good gains like you say you are, that's even better. Looking forward to the next update in how things are going.

I'm not going to give too much away but this training is going fantasticly well. I'm only 3 weeks in but I think once I hit end of it in 2 months you'll all be very suprised with the results. I wont tell anyone to try this yet but so far I can gaurentee that since I've been training NOTHING has been this effective.

Whoever recomended having a couple of rest days, I thank you. I'm stil going Monday to Friday and resting at the weekends and I'm finding that on Mondays I'm noticing that my strength has gone up again.

hard to say nothing has been as effective when the only other thing you were doing was training grippers everyday. Seems your doing a lot of heavy negatives then taking a big rest which is different then what you originally were going to do. This has worked for people in past, hopefully your strength doesn't peak then crash though like it has before for people who have done this.

You still doing 50 all out squeezed every day?

Somedays even more but always at least 50.

Yikes, buddy. Well, even if you're not logging details, this is still pretty interesting :D

I'm on week 4 now.

This training is awesome, I'm still doing the same thing yet still the #4 is feeling more and more at home in my hand everyday. The handles are far closer now then when I started. It's no longer the gripper that I see as impossible. I see it as a very hard gripper but the progress I'm making make me feel that I'll be shooting above the #4 in the future. My mind set towards grippers has changed so much that once I'm done I'll be writing down a workout in the style of what I'm doing, so that other people can try it if they want to. I will close the #4.

I'm on week 4 now.

This training is awesome, I'm still doing the same thing yet still the #4 is feeling more and more at home in my hand everyday. The handles are far closer now then when I started. It's no longer the gripper that I see as impossible. I see it as a very hard gripper but the progress I'm making make me feel that I'll be shooting above the #4 in the future. My mind set towards grippers has changed so much that once I'm done I'll be writing down a workout in the style of what I'm doing, so that other people can try it if they want to. I will close the #4.

How far away are you from holding it closed now? And how far away were you when you started this program?

I'm on week 4 now.

How far away are you from holding it closed now? And how far away were you when you started this program?

Yep, I would also like to hear more detailed describtion about the training and the progress. Why not start an actual training log and write down more specific info about what you do, how much you do and how well you do. Do you have some way to measure your progress?

I'm on week 4 now.

Yep, I would also like to hear more detailed describtion about the training and the progress. Why not start an actual training log and write down more specific info about what you do, how much you do and how well you do. Do you have some way to measure your progress?

I'm not keeping a training log because the days are the same. I wake up get it the car and close the #4 against my leg then try to keep it closed. I do BFN's. I practise setting it. I do TNS's with it. But in the main I'm doing NEGS. I do this for two hours on the way to work. I do it for two hours on the way home from work and when I get home I do more. I'm making sure the the handles touch at least 50 times a day. I do this Monday to Friday and rest at the weekends. THAT'S IT.

I use a peice of plastic in between the handles on my TNS efforts and every time I can touch the plastic I shave a bit more off to record progress.

Since I started this I've got over 1 cm closer on my TNS efforts and I'm now able to hold the #4 far closer than I could before. I can sweep it down to a level that I'm really happy with but I'm going to wait until the 3 months are up before I video my results and show them.

My best close prior to this training was the #3 and I could coin hold the #3 as well. I was working on the Elite before I started this so after the #3 months are up I'm going to try and close the Elite. I'm confident that I can do it.

I'm on week 4 now.

I'm not keeping a training log because the days are the same. I wake up get it the car and close the #4 against my leg then try to keep it closed. I do BFN's. I practise setting it. I do TNS's with it. But in the main I'm doing NEGS. I do this for two hours on the way to work. I do it for two hours on the way home from work and when I get home I do more. I'm making sure the the handles touch at least 50 times a day. I do this Monday to Friday and rest at the weekends. THAT'S IT.

I use a peice of plastic in between the handles on my TNS efforts and every time I can touch the plastic I shave a bit more off to record progress.

Since I started this I've got over 1 cm closer on my TNS efforts and I'm now able to hold the #4 far closer than I could before. I can sweep it down to a level that I'm really happy with but I'm going to wait until the 3 months are up before I video my results and show them.

My best close prior to this training was the #3 and I could coin hold the #3 as well. I was working on the Elite before I started this so after the #3 months are up I'm going to try and close the Elite. I'm confident that I can do it.

Even if the workouts are similar each day, it would be interesting if you logged the progress in detail. So far that does not tell much. If you do keep reporting every once in a while, why not be more detailed about it, that's all? For example, what's the distance between the handles you manage to hold the gripper at after forcing it closed with two hands? If it's not closer than 5 mm, you are not doing much for the closed range and might not end up closing the Elite after all. The sweep and the close are two very different things that need different type of training. The close or the last little bit is especially hard to develop for most people and it requires very specific training. With this method of yours you might eventually get strong enough to sweep down almost any gripper down to 1 cm, but hit the wall there. I would of course like to be proved wrong here, but that's just what the experience of many guys before you has shown. Edited by Teemu I

I'm on week 4 now.

Even if the workouts are similar each day, it would be interesting if you logged the progress in detail. So far that does not tell much. If you do keep reporting every once in a while, why not be more detailed about it, that's all? For example, what's the distance between the handles you manage to hold the gripper at after forcing it closed with two hands? If it's not closer than 5 mm, you are not doing much for the closed range and might not end up closing the Elite after all. The sweep and the close are two very different things that need different type of training. The close or the last little bit is especially hard to develop for most people and it requires very specific training. With this method of yours you might eventually get strong enough to sweep down almost any gripper down to 1 cm, but hit the wall there. I would of course like to be proved wrong here, but that's just what the experience of many guys before you has shown.

Thanks for the insight mate, your advice is well taken as I know your trying to close the #4 also.

The training, going as good as it is, is too enjoyable for me to change it in anyway at the moment. I may get stuck on the sweep in the last few mm's further down the line but I'll get over that by working on a gripper harder than the #4 and doing negs from a closed starting position. I don't fear the #4 anymore. My mentality towards grip has changed, I feel that with time and effort and if my mindset stays the same then I'll close grippers harder than a #4 in the future. I feel that many people crap out after closing the hard grippers because they feel that the #4 is so hard and never want to aim higher. To me the #4 is the new #1.

Thanks for the insight mate, your advice is well taken as I know your trying to close the #4 also.

The training, going as good as it is, is too enjoyable for me to change it in anyway at the moment. I may get stuck on the sweep in the last few mm's further down the line but I'll get over that by working on a gripper harder than the #4 and doing negs from a closed starting position. I don't fear the #4 anymore. My mentality towards grip has changed, I feel that with time and effort and if my mindset stays the same then I'll close grippers harder than a #4 in the future. I feel that many people crap out after closing the hard grippers because they feel that the #4 is so hard and never want to aim higher. To me the #4 is the new #1.

I'm on week 4 now.

Even if the workouts are similar each day, it would be interesting if you logged the progress in detail. So far that does not tell much. If you do keep reporting every once in a while, why not be more detailed about it, that's all? For example, what's the distance between the handles you manage to hold the gripper at after forcing it closed with two hands? If it's not closer than 5 mm, you are not doing much for the closed range and might not end up closing the Elite after all. The sweep and the close are two very different things that need different type of training. The close or the last little bit is especially hard to develop for most people and it requires very specific training. With this method of yours you might eventually get strong enough to sweep down almost any gripper down to 1 cm, but hit the wall there. I would of course like to be proved wrong here, but that's just what the experience of many guys before you has shown.

How far away are you from holding it closed now? And how far away were you when you started this program? Or is it secret?

I'm just curious to know. :online

EDIT: Damn 4 hours of commuting every day!

Edited by Martin_Arildsson

I'm on week 4 now.

How far away are you from holding it closed now? And how far away were you when you started this program? Or is it secret?

I'm just curious to know. :online

EDIT: Damn 4 hours of commuting every day!

When I started I could just about hold the #4 parallel, I just went to my car and without chalk I'd say I was about 10mm off. I think I've had it down to maybe 7-8mm with chalk. The area that I'm really killing now though is the sweep.

That 4 hours driving can be up to 6 hours on a bad day, plus I have my 1 year old son in the back of the car screaming so you can tell i have to let off steam on the handles of the #4!!!

Are you planning on taking any kind of extended break at any point (like maybe three or four days as opposed to just two) or do you think that the two days per week will be enough recovery to see you through the entire three months?

When I started I could just about hold the #4 parallel, I just went to my car and without chalk I'd say I was about 10mm off. I think I've had it down to maybe 7-8mm with chalk. The area that I'm really killing now though is the sweep.

That 4 hours driving can be up to 6 hours on a bad day, plus I have my 1 year old son in the back of the car screaming so you can tell i have to let off steam on the handles of the #4!!!

Are you actually driving or just a passenger?

Are you planning on taking any kind of extended break at any point (like maybe three or four days as opposed to just two) or do you think that the two days per week will be enough recovery to see you through the entire three months?

No extra break, just two days rest per week for 3 months. It's going well so why change it?

Are you actually driving or just a passenger?

I'm the driver. I'm stuck on the M25 everyday just sitting there, I hate that road sooooo much! I don't grip while the car is moving ;)

lloyds, this thread is a really interesting read!

good luck again with your efforts on the #4, i'm really keen to see the results after the 3 months is up.

your attitude towards this is very simple, yet inspiring. How often do we hear that the mind is a very powerful thing, yet so seldom do we actually make the most out of it!

good luck Lloyd!

i know u have the"killing" attitude but dont forget to do lot of extensor work along with wrist exercices (to help u recovery .. contrast baths and dextary balls are a must for u!

negative work doesnt seem to "destroy" the hands so quick but its necessary to train smart ...

why not including "B" training? i mean doing 50 reps everyday for 4 weeks its like eating potatos every day ... progress likes variety as well.

good luck Lloyd!

i know u have the"killing" attitude but dont forget to do lot of extensor work along with wrist exercices (to help u recovery .. contrast baths and dextary balls are a must for u!

negative work doesnt seem to "destroy" the hands so quick but its necessary to train smart ...

why not including "B" training? i mean doing 50 reps everyday for 4 weeks its like eating potatos every day ... progress likes variety as well.

I have never done any extensor work or recovery baths and have never had an injury or excessive soreness. Idk might be because I'm young but I feel its a bit overrated on how important it is for progress.

What he is doing is not something really new, kinny did basically the same thing along with many other great grip athletes. The problem is I don't know if he will be able to hold onto this progress. I have done overtraining programs with real lifting, and I become very strong very quick. However, my strength will see a slight drop after its done.

I would have more faith in his progress if he had done the following

1. Showed his progress with video before the program on a #3, and the #4 or other various grippers

2. Recorded a log

3. Showed weekly progress in some tangible way like through video on various grippers

Other then that its hard to tell whats going on with this program or if its working since I have not seen any evidence. 3 months is a long time to wait, he will obviously have SOME progress people can go from barely closing a #1 to a #3 in that time. Would just like to see if its working so I could have more faith to try it and see if it works for me.

Edited by shizen

In the long run Lloyd will improve the hold but will lack explosive power in the end of the close.

thats why i think "program B" can be done!

yes Shizen .. one log will improve the progress no doubt.

yeh this was a nice piece to read, Are you stuck in the traffic for 2 hours everyday... damn that is sick, Have you ever tried to take another road, like the small roads between the town next to the motorway...

I think now I understand why you can put so much effort, aggression and so on... on this brick what is called a #4

If you made any progress... you all have it cause of the trafficjam... :) so at least it has some advantage...

I should not smile too much, I am in the traffic jam everyday myself also! I am driving arround 90.000 km a year, thats about 56.000 miles.

I never grip in the car.

I am curious about the end result.... Good luck man!!

Good job man. If you can already do a coin hold hold with the #3, with that mindset I wouldn't be surprised to see you go onto a BB Pro. There are 3 main things that can hold you back.

1. Giving up after months of training because you're not progressing fast enough

2. Your genetics force you to have weak hands (I think most people on here are reasonably strong in the forearm)

3.Injuring yourself

If you can avoid these things, and have already managed to not have problem #2 get in the way, you should be able to get very strong hands. Look at the guys that leg press a tonne of weights, or warm up with 600lbs on the benchpress. Many times stronger than the average person, cause they do it all the time. If you squeeze ridiculously hard objects all the time, your body will adjust.

I have never done any extensor work or recovery baths and have never had an injury or excessive soreness. Idk might be because I'm young but I feel its a bit overrated on how important it is for progress.

What he is doing is not something really new, kinny did basically the same thing along with many other great grip athletes. The problem is I don't know if he will be able to hold onto this progress. I have done overtraining programs with real lifting, and I become very strong very quick. However, my strength will see a slight drop after its done.

I think it's important to note that this is nothing at all like what Kinney did or recommends in his video or CoC chapter.