Close A #4 Training

lloyd80s

I've lived in my house for years.....and I've never been able to pick it up.

Same with my car.....

There are men that have and can close a #4.........last time I looked I found that I'm also a man. The #4 is only impossible if you think that it's impossible. If you don't feel that a feat of strength is possible then that's fine. I however think that I'm well capable a building the strength to close a #4, and I shall in time.

thats the spirit :rock :rock :rock

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lloyd80s

• Cannon

• shizen

• Grippster

Same with my car.....

There are men that have and can close a #4.........last time I looked I found that I'm also a man. The #4 is only impossible if you think that it's impossible. If you don't feel that a feat of strength is possible then that's fine. I however think that I'm well capable a building the strength to close a #4, and I shall in time.

Don't think it's impossible. In fact I think anything imagined can become reality even if not exact.

Just don't think the described method will yield any worthwhile results. Nonetheless, I don't see any harm in trying it. It may be a great training method.

Sorry if my original post structure clouded my meaning......

Same with my car.....

Then again you never tried doing it, you sit in your car and drive it. And I get tired of saying this, but full out you would be able to hold your car up by the frame with proper motivation. Muscle tissue has exceptional power. Just to give you an example I actually closed my BC300 before, well, I could close it. I was thoroughly ticked off that day, and decided to take it out on the gripper I could not close, and it closed. It was another 2 weeks before I could build up enough strength to close it with just normal motivation. Don't forget, your brain IS the energy source for your muscles. It supplies the electricity to force the contraction. If you're beat mentally, you're beat physically too.

Same with my car.....

This guy will close the #4 eventually, even if it's not an unseasoned one. He's already won mentally, now the time and effort need to be applied for success.

I tried this for a few days since you mentioned even though I thought it was not a good idea. The only improvement I have felt is in my setting strength so far-since its very hard to set a #4-, I don't think I'm going to do it much more but you should bring our your weaker grippers once in a while to see if your progressing. If your not you should probably give it up.

Hi, very intressting thread! I will also follow this and see how it goes.

A little input from me, when you train your supportgrip in climbing theres a similar trainingmethod and that is: stand on a scale and lock your fingers on a hold that is to small for you to hang on, pull like hell and see how much weight you can lift off. This how ever is very hard on the fingers and i cant emagin doing 50 all out hangs a day 7 days a week all the time, it would be murder on my fingers! I think this sort of shock training can work in the short term, but in the long run you will get stale and demotivated and most certanly injured.

Ive noticed that when i first started training for the 3 say 5-6 monthd ago i couldent take the pain in the hand when trying to shut it, so i couldent mobilise all my streanght befor i hade to give in to the pain. The 2 and the 2,5 helped me to build the pain tollerance in my hands and voila, now i can shut the 3, even though it hurts i little still. So i think you will have a very hard time to reach your true strenght this way, but pleas prove me and others wrong. I cheer for you! :rock

I've thought of a training idea that many or none of us may have tried before, I've no idea if anyone's used this.

While many of us have many grippers, I'm sure for most if not all of us our ultimate goal will be the same....to close a #4.

I've been asking myself what would happen if I locked away all of my other grippers and just used a #4 everyday? When I say used a #4 I mean, keep it in my car, my pocket, my desk draw and even the toilet. Squeeze it with 100% at least 50 times a day, throw in some negs, TNS's, just setting it and BFN. My reasoning for this mad type training is for the following reasons-

-Keeping the ultimate, your goal, your Everest with you all day every day for say......3 months, would make the #4 more of a friend, it wouldn't seem such a distant object. You could even imagine it to be the most easy of coc grippers and that the hardest is a coc #9. I think what I'm trying to say is that if you use it all the time it will start to feel normal in your hand, you'll have a better understanding of what a gripper that tough feels like and MENTALY you'll be ready for anything less than a #4 when it's placed in your hand as you've already been fighting the toughest for 3 months.

-In using a #4 and nothing else, you may find that the greater forces that the #4 will place on your skin, hands and wrists will "teach" these parts of the body to toughen up under the new "super load". Let's say you're 1mm from closing a #2, can you say that 3 months of trying to kill a #4 and busting your ass on it will not give you that last mm on the 2? Maybe yes, maybe no, I'm not sure but why not give it a go?

I'm going to do as I've said and not use any other grippers apart from my #4 for 3 months, I'll try and kill it everyday, if my strength grows then great, if it stays the same or gets worse then at least I've given it a go.

Any constructive thoughts on this?

Excellent Theory. Now prove the nattering nabobs of negativism wrong. Three months

will not break you but it COULD make you. Interpretation, change of routines are used all

the time. Now if you were going to stay indefinitely on this trial balloon journey, I probably would

say maybe not.

This is why I frequent this forum. IDEAS, IDEAs, IDEas, IDeas, Ideas, ideas.

Thanks, lloyd80s, and keep us updated for this 30 day experiment in the test tube. :rock:rock:rock

Edited by Bonzi

My hands were not sore today, the weekend has done any healing that was needed. I do have some hard skin on the inside of my middle finger which has split open, but I'm just going to keep a plaster over it while in doing these #4 negs.

I felt stronger on it today and have managed to hold it in a neg position for longer, I think 3 months of this will be great!

I felt stronger on it today and have managed to hold it in a neg position for longer, I think 3 months of this will be great!

A 3 month neg hold on a #4 would be quite something! :tongue

A 3 month neg hold on a #4 would be quite something! :tongue

I'll bet he will be stronger for it assuming adequate precautions are taken! :rock:rock:rock

Edited by Bonzi

Heavy negatives are the good stuff. But if you do a lot of heavys with a really hard gripper you need to rest a few days, and I mean NEED to. The muscle tissue just tears like crazy, but when you come back you have noticeably stronger hands. Not to mention it looks and feels cool to hold shut a ridiculously sized spring. :D

Edited by Grippster

Hands are sore today, really sore. I'm upping the food intake today and I'm bashing them in a few hours, should be stronger by the weekend. :rock

Do you use a good protein powder? Even if you are not into bodybuilding it is important for hand recovery aswell.

Do you use a good protein powder? Even if you are not into bodybuilding it is important for hand recovery aswell.

I don't use protein powder. I try to up my intake with cans of tuna, chicken breast, milk, eggs, you know, all the old fasion stuff.

:rock

I don't use protein powder. I try to up my intake with cans of tuna, chicken breast, milk, eggs, you know, all the old fashion stuff.

You'd find it's MUCH easier (and, in the long run, cheaper) to get a alot more more protein into your diet with a good whey protein, not to mention it's a better protein in general. I use EAS. I also eat alot of the stuff you mentioned, but I also get 4-5 shakes in a day in addition to them.

Edited by Magnus

I don't use protein powder. I try to up my intake with cans of tuna, chicken breast, milk, eggs, you know, all the old fashion stuff.

You'd find it's MUCH easier (and, in the long run, cheaper) to get a alot more more protein into your diet with a good whey protein, not to mention it's a better protein in general. I use EAS. I also eat alot of the stuff you mentioned, but I also get 4-5 shakes in a day in addition to them.

Not so much if your lactose intolerent like some of us. Whey is the devil in that case. I prefer the real stuff for that reason and besides that I like to masticate. :D

- Aaron

Not so much if your lactose intolerent like some of us. Whey is the devil in that case.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it...I just had this feeling that you where going to pop in give some reason not to take

whey hehehe :laugh:laugh :laugh Well, I'm not lactose intolerant, so drink lots of it :D

Edited by Magnus

and besides that I like to masticate.
Ignore the pun...Ignore the pun...Ignore the pun...Ignore the pun...

Can't do it! I'm a big fan of mast

Who isn't? :D

Sorry Magnus, I have to disagre......IMO,NO WHEY is protein powder better than REAL protein you get from foods. The protein you get from meat is what made kings of old, the big old bastards in the past didn't even have protein powder, they ate meat....and lots of it. Plus, most protein shakes taste like.....crap at best. You can't beat a good steak huh!?

Yes that's true protein in terms of bioavailability and the amount of nutrients you body can absorb is much less then that of beef, chicken, eggs-the best-, or fish.

There is nothing really wrong with whey, its cheap and if your trying to get in some protein really fast it can be helpful but real food always be better.

I'm not going to give too much away but this training is going fantasticly well. I'm only 3 weeks in but I think once I hit end of it in 2 months you'll all be very suprised with the results. I wont tell anyone to try this yet but so far I can gaurentee that since I've been training NOTHING has been this effective.

Whoever recomended having a couple of rest days, I thank you. I'm stil going Monday to Friday and resting at the weekends and I'm finding that on Mondays I'm noticing that my strength has gone up again.