Close A #4 Training

lloyd80s

Only thing I would say is that if you aren't approaching the 3.5 level, using only a #4 will get you a little weak on the last part of the close.

It would be kind of like using only 400 pounds to bench when you can barely get 300. Sure, you could eventually do some partials with it, in the meantime the bottom part of the lift will get weak as hell.

Or not. Good luck!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lloyd80s

• Cannon

• shizen

• Grippster

Years ago I had the same idea. Never tried it though. If I were to do it now, I would do no more than 6 all out attempts spaced out throughout the day, and train 6 days per week.

lloyds, I like that you're "noodling" training ideas. Here are my questions:

1) Why the #4?

2) Why 3 months?

3) Why 50 attempts?

I think your only guarantee is a poor quality of workout. My belief these days is that quality is king.

The #4 because it's my "goal" gripper and it's the toughest gripper I have.

3 months because I've always changed training routeins after a while as I believe you go stale if you don't change what you're doing.

50 attempts as a don't think I could manage many more in a day and I want to put the hurt on my hands the best I can.

Many people are comenting on how my strength won't grow that much doing this but for me this is just as much mental training as phyiscal. I want to train my mind that the #4 isn't all that. I want to go 12 rounds with it everyday until it feels normal in my hands. I want to be able to pick up any other grippers after the #4 and know that I've battled tougher. If I go 12 rounds with the #4 and lose at least I tried. I know one thing, my hands will be tougher and my sweep'll be twice as good as it is now once I'm done ;)

It's day two and I've just sat in my car for lunch and hit 10 full negs. As yesterday, the gripper was forced closed against my leg and I just hold on for as long as I can until the gripper is fully opened. My hands are more sore today but hey, they better toughen up because on the way home I'm gonna hit them even harder.

Where abouts is your neg hold at the mo?

Where abouts is your neg hold at the mo?

I can hold the handles about 1 inch apart but the handles open fairly fast. I'm just battling to keep it closed as long as I can but I've nowhere near the strength to hold the #4 closed, 1 inch is about best. Good thing is, at the point where the gripper is closed against my leg as I pull my hand away the force of the initial spring opening is so great on my hands I think it'll help me get stronger in this area fast.

Now I'm far from a grip expert, more of a rookie in fact - so I don't know exactly how much validity my opinion will hold in this matter, but I think if you keep wary of your limits and taper when (and if) you feel like overtraining might be coming on to do the best you can to avoid injury than your plan is pretty solid.

Sometimes you need a shock to the system in training, and you'll never know the outcome of this experiment without trying. It's not as if you've never picked up a gripper before and your starting with the#4, you've already built up a solid base. My only concern would be the potential for injury with such an intense regimen, but if you take proper precautions without compromising the goal of your training too much I think you could come away with some positive results - I, for one, am excited to see the result

Would it be a good idea to at least keep your Trainer with your #4 wherever you go and do a few warm-up reps prior to hitting your #4?

It won't take any strength away - possibly give you a little more - and of course, there will be less risk of injury in what might be a high-risk routine.

Good luck with it!

Man you sound determined to close this thing. Good luck on this new training method.

Would it be a good idea to at least keep your Trainer with your #4 wherever you go and do a few warm-up reps prior to hitting your #4?

It won't take any strength away - possibly give you a little more - and of course, there will be less risk of injury in what might be a high-risk routine.

Good luck with it!

That sounds like a good idea.

Yeah warmup first. I have done a lot of negs in the past, especially when i was around the #3 level but would never do a neg on the #4 without at least a few clicks of the #1, #2 and #3 first. Your idea is good but there are a few flaws:

1. You should be using the elite. Holding something at 1'' gets you stronger at 1''. Who cares if you can hold a pro or world class or whatever at 1''. It's the close that counts. Holding an elite at 1/4'' or nearer for all these singles - great idea. This will get you strong.

2. By doing no work at the close your MMS technique and close will get worse, not better. Don't be surprised that, even after a week off, and even though your hands may have got stronger, you will miss the #3 because of set technique combined with lack of strength over the last few mm.

3. Warmup before doing ANYTHING at all with these big grippers. Extensor work, clicks with easier grippers etc...

I'm writing this because i admire your mental attitude towards is a lot but i really think what you are doing will lead to injury and you will actually lose strength not gain it. I would suggest that you use your focus and drive in combination with a better program (try KTA goal gripper elite if you want high volume!). If you ignore the advice we have all given you, and go ahead with it, and make some decent gains, good on you mate!!

Yeah warmup first. I have done a lot of negs in the past, especially when i was around the #3 level but would never do a neg on the #4 without at least a few clicks of the #1, #2 and #3 first. Your idea is good but there are a few flaws:

1. You should be using the elite. Holding something at 1'' gets you stronger at 1''. Who cares if you can hold a pro or world class or whatever at 1''. It's the close that counts. Holding an elite at 1/4'' or nearer for all these singles - great idea. This will get you strong.

2. By doing no work at the close your MMS technique and close will get worse, not better. Don't be surprised that, even after a week off, and even though your hands may have got stronger, you will miss the #3 because of set technique combined with lack of strength over the last few mm.

3. Warmup before doing ANYTHING at all with these big grippers. Extensor work, clicks with easier grippers etc...

I'm writing this because i admire your mental attitude towards is a lot but i really think what you are doing will lead to injury and you will actually lose strength not gain it. I would suggest that you use your focus and drive in combination with a better program (try KTA goal gripper elite if you want high volume!). If you ignore the advice we have all given you, and go ahead with it, and make some decent gains, good on you mate!!

Good advice and the part I marked bold is the reason for me to advice against using the #4 as well.

Day 3 and things feel great, still the same negs but just now I've been doing assisted closes with my other hand to help me get the gripper closed further but I'm still using the main hand at 100% effort. This way I'm still training 85% of my full ROM. Hands are still sore but no worse than day one. In just 2 days I will have a 2 day weekend rest. :rock

I put the #4 in a choker last night (hose clamp), choked it down to about 1.5 inchs open........STUPID idea, I couldn't move it, it may as well have been a solid object! I've taken the choker off now and will keep this idea in the draw for a while! :D

I have a Galaxy that I'll hold and get the feel of sometimes (can't move it a bit) just to make the other grippers seem small in comparison. It's more of a mental thing rather than training though.

Tim

Years ago I had the same idea. Never tried it though. If I were to do it now, I would do no more than 6 all out attempts spaced out throughout the day, and train 6 days per week.

Thats it. But I would do it all in one session. Either can work. you could bring it down to 3 or even 2 if you are feeling off. As you get accustomed to the training you will have less and less endurance (less attemps) and more strength. you WILL get stronger but I agree with gazza. the mind is the trick. How long can you stare at those handles with a big gap in between, before you go and take it out on something else?

Good luck man!

Edited by aquilonian

Regardless of any exotic training methods you are using, Queens of the stone age is THE music to have on whilst giving something your all.

Best of luck, try the power grunt and power bellow as seen at the nationals...

Fred

One problem I see right now. After using the #4 over and over every day for weeks and weeks.... won't the spring start to wear and eventually get a little easier?

One problem I see right now. After using the #4 over and over every day for weeks and weeks.... won't the spring start to wear and eventually get a little easier?

Spring seasoning becomes negligible after the first hundred closes or so. It won't just continue to get easier.

Even if this thing got a little easier it'd still be a brick!!

I highly doubt your revised training method will be effective in the long run. Trying to force a gripper shut - repeatedly - will more than likely lead to depression in your gains: This is due to your hands inability to cope with the stress levels; lack of dynamic movement whilst training. The most effective way to train is via minimization of volume.

I've lived in my house for years.....and I've never been able to pick it up.

Same with my car.....

I've lived in my house for years.....and I've never been able to pick it up.

Same with my car.....

There are men that have and can close a #4.........last time I looked I found that I'm also a man. The #4 is only impossible if you think that it's impossible. If you don't feel that a feat of strength is possible then that's fine. I however think that I'm well capable a building the strength to close a #4, and I shall in time.