Paul Knight

Bill Piche

How about someone re-writing ERic's version to include the verbage to cover the elbow properly. Suggestions?

5. No bracing is allowed to set the gripper. That is, one cannot use their legs, arms, or other parts of their body (except their opposite hand) to set the gripper at the start of the close. In addition, no part of the arm below the elbow is allowed to contact any part of the body, with anywhere from the elbow and above being allowed to contact only the torso.

Is this ok? Not the greatest wording but this is the general idea. Maybe a better linguist could phrase it slightly better.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• Bill Piche

• vikingsrule92

• lukeamdman

Paul are you signing right back up?

of course!

Here is a still of the MM3 on my 3rd attempt - you can "double click" the image to enlarge the pic

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122495262..._890_283083.jpg

Zcor - I just enlarged this still to 400% and then 800% - try that and tell me what you think

I took all the stills to Paint, reviewed them many times, 400% to 800% enlargement, inverted the colors. changed the skew angle, rotated the pic 90 degrees to 270 degrees, I still see a razorblade thickness opening. However, it is a moot point, as you were redlighted for excessive bracing. In my opinion, the way you braced led me to believe you could not have set the gripper without the elbow locked in brace. If I were there I would have called you on that. No hard feelings I hope :cool

I do believe you are more than capable of closing the MM3

Here is a still of the MM3 on my 3rd attempt - you can "double click" the image to enlarge the pic

Zcor - I just enlarged this still to 400% and then 800% - try that and tell me what you think

I took all the stills to Paint, reviewed them many times, 400% to 800% enlargement, inverted the colors. changed the skew angle, rotated the pic 90 degrees to 270 degrees, I still see a razorblade thickness opening. However, it is a moot point, as you were redlighted for excessive bracing. In my opinion, the way you braced led me to believe you could not have set the gripper without the elbow locked in brace. If I were there I would have called you on that. No hard feelings I hope :cool

I'd say it was closed and I'm a picky bastard! ;):D

Z - maybe this will change your mind:

setting this way actually felt easier, but its more difficult to capture on film

No hard feelings :cool

5. No bracing is allowed to set the gripper. That is, one cannot use their legs, arms, or other parts of their body (except their opposite hand) to set the gripper at the start of the close. In addition, no part of the arm below the elbow is allowed to contact any part of the body, with anywhere from the elbow and above being allowed to contact only the torso.

Thoughts on this?

Thoughts on this?

Sounds good to me

Looks good, Bill. We might want to amend the first sentence of rule #3 by finishing that sentence with: "except by the torso, as described in rule #5."

Looks good, Bill. We might want to amend the first sentence of rule #3 by finishing that sentence with: "except by the torso, as described in rule #5."

Ok so for the record, are you allowed to keep your elbow braced against your torso after the set for the close? Because not being a pause setter like Paul I find it awkward to set it there then move, as I like to do it in a semi-fluid motion. Plus, if I did this, I think it would probably move the gripper out of camera frame, not sure though. So I'd like a clarification of this so I don't accidentally mess up my cert by it.

Ok so for the record, are you allowed to keep your elbow braced against your torso after the set for the close? Because not being a pause setter like Paul I find it awkward to set it there then move, as I like to do it in a semi-fluid motion. Plus, if I did this, I think it would probably move the gripper out of camera frame, not sure though. So I'd like a clarification of this so I don't accidentally mess up my cert by it.

After setting, I doubt keeping your elbow against your torso would help. In fact, I think it would hinder as most tend to extend their arms during a close or make a motion of extension.

Thoughts everyone?

I like the most recent rule rewrite. I am obviously not much of a gripper expert, but here's what my experimentation shows:

1) It is a bit easier to set the gripper with the forearm against the thigh as in Paul's cert attempt.

2) When standing and setting the gripper in a natural position, my upper arm touches the torso, though I do not think 'bracing' the elbow against the obliques helps.

3) It is easier to close the gripper away from the body. Keeping my elbow tight against my torso made it more difficult.

Edited by The Writer

3) It is easier to close the gripper away from the body. Keeping my elbow tight against my torso made it more difficult.

This is what I thought as well. What do others think?

When I close a tough gripper I cannot help but extend my arm. Its like it has a mind of its own.

I agree on all points. The addition to rule #3 I recommended will allow for continued contact of the torso by the upper arm during the execution of the close.

Rules have been changed. Thanks everyone for the feedback to make it a better process.