Paul Knight

Bill Piche

I think trying to get the whole arm in the vid will complicate seeing the handles touched together as you will have to back off from the cam a bit.

Indeed! it would make the whole video thing ten times harder.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• Bill Piche

• vikingsrule92

• lukeamdman

Something else I just noticed about the rule -

5. No bracing is allowed to set the gripper. That is, one cannot use their legs, arms, or other parts of their body (except their opposite hand) to set the gripper at the start of the close

after I perform my set, I opened the handles a little wider than parallel and then start the close - my arm isn't anywhere near my body/body-parts during the close. when I start closing, its after I opened the handles a little past to show its a legal set and then I begin "the start of the close"

How should it be re-worded to make it clear? It's been this way for years now and we should always look to make the process more pristine and clear.

We should always look to get better in this process if possible. And, we have made changes over the years to hopefully improve.

Also, we just require a witness to insure no bracing or the person has to show their arms up to their elbows if they go video only and follow the box opening, seal, etc.???

I'll post the video and then we can open the floor to suggestions from members on how to make it more clear.

Edit: Here is the video: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8070

How should it be re-worded to make it clear? It's been this way for years now and we should always look to make the process more pristine and clear.

We should always look to get better in this process if possible. And, we have made changes over the years to hopefully improve.

Also, we just require a witness to insure no bracing or the person has to show their arms up to their elbows if they go video only and follow the box opening, seal, etc.???

I'll post the video and then we can open the floor to suggestions from members on how to make it more clear.

Edit: Here is the video: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8070

what wasn't clear is what bracing actually is - thats all. to fix: All you have to say in the rules is "the gripping arm can make no contact with any part of his body during the set and close" something along those lines

and here is my 1st go at the MM3:

and here is a vid from BBB of me closing a 3.5 the same way:

This is a good alternative - however, I'm going to try to show everything anyways

Oh, thanks Luke, how do you pull stills from a Youtube vid? just right-click and save?

pause it.. hit the print screen key on your keyboard. That puts it in you clipboard. Open paint and hit ctrl-v or edit/paste. then cut what you need out.

"the gripping arm can make no contact with any part of his body during the set and close"

5. No bracing is allowed to set the gripper. That is, one cannot use their legs, arms, or other parts of their body (except their opposite hand) to set the gripper at the start of the close. In addition, the gripping arm can make no contact with any part of his body during the set and close.

Or Eric suggested this:

5. No bracing is allowed to set the gripper. That is, one cannot use their legs, arms, or other parts of their body (except their opposite hand) to set the gripper at the start of the close. In addition, no part of the arm below the elbow to contact any part of the body, with the upper arm being allowed to contact only the torso.

How is this re-write for rule 5? Think enforcement too when thinking about the change.

So the elbow itself could touch the torso? The elbow is where a lot of people brace it into their torso. If not allowed, this would be very tricky to enforce as in what are you going to define as the elbow (only the point, area with collateral ligament, general area; think someone who gets psoriasis on their "elbow")?

Edited by jad

I like Eric's suggested change to clarify that rule. The arm below the elbow not touching anything seems like the best description.

Paul, I think you should have been given a green light on this cert. Good catch on the vague spot in the rules. It looked like you had your elbow on your upper thigh/hip area. I went back and watched about 5 other cert vids and on none of them did I even get to see an elbow (one was nothing but hands...not even a wrist). The field of view was so narrow there was no way to tell if the person braced their set so I guess everyone who has certed up to this point will get grandfathered.

This whole thing got me thinking about guys doing their certs on video (not just for grippers but anything). A lot of the time you never even see the face of the person doing the feat. How would you know if someone else did it for them unless you can recognize their hands? I know the videos have been edited down to just show the close and the opening of the package must be shown on video, but I didn't see anything mentioned in the rules stating that the person had to show their face at some point.

Oh, thanks Luke, how do you pull stills from a Youtube vid? just right-click and save?

pause it.. hit the print screen key on your keyboard. That puts it in you clipboard. Open paint and hit ctrl-v or edit/paste. then cut what you need out.

Exactly.

I think removing some words early on makes it clearer. I suggest:

5. No bracing is allowed. The athlete cannot use any part of their body except their opposite hand to set the gripper. Bracing is further defined as supporting or bolstering the gripping arm in any way during the set or close, such as bracing the elbow.

As far as enforcing, a witness would be ideal. Looking at the cert list, only five successful certs spread across three different people have ever taken place wtih absolutely no witness. I personally just think a witness should be required even if they are only behind the camera. As in, the cert gripper still goes to the athlete, witness only attends to moniter this type of thing. And questions could be asked of them if clarification is needed.

Just my thoughts :D

I like Eric's suggested change to clarify that rule. The arm below the elbow not touching anything seems like the best description.

Paul, I think you should have been given a green light on this cert. Good catch on the vague spot in the rules. It looked like you had your elbow on your upper thigh/hip area. I went back and watched about 5 other cert vids and on none of them did I even get to see an elbow (one was nothing but hands...not even a wrist). The field of view was so narrow there was no way to tell if the person braced their set so I guess everyone who has certed up to this point will get grandfathered.

This whole thing got me thinking about guys doing their certs on video (not just for grippers but anything). A lot of the time you never even see the face of the person doing the feat. How would you know if someone else did it for them unless you can recognize their hands? I know the videos have been edited down to just show the close and the opening of the package must be shown on video, but I didn't see anything mentioned in the rules stating that the person had to show their face at some point.

Guys, I clip out the full video. This includes seeing the box opening, guy's full body, face, etc. So, everything is seen on the video although once the actual attempt is made people zoom in, but prior to the zoom in you can see that the person actually cert'ing is the right one. ;)

"the gripping arm can make no contact with any part of his body during the set and close"

5. No bracing is allowed to set the gripper. That is, one cannot use their legs, arms, or other parts of their body (except their opposite hand) to set the gripper at the start of the close. In addition, the gripping arm can make no contact with any part of his body during the set and close.

Or Eric suggested this:

5. No bracing is allowed to set the gripper. That is, one cannot use their legs, arms, or other parts of their body (except their opposite hand) to set the gripper at the start of the close. In addition, no part of the arm below the elbow to contact any part of the body, with the upper arm being allowed to contact only the torso.

How is this re-write for rule 5? Think enforcement too when thinking about the change.

I like Eric's verbage better, however it would be good if Josh's question was further clarified within the rule to eliminate any ambiguity

I viewed this still image at a 400% enlargement with inverted color. The gripper is not closed, I can see the knurling tips touch, but the bevel edges do not.

I've never heard of this. If the knurling on one handle is touching the knurling on the other handle, how is that anything other than touching handles?

I viewed this still image at a 400% enlargement with inverted color. The gripper is not closed, I can see the knurling tips touch, but the bevel edges do not.

I've never heard of this. If the knurling on one handle is touching the knurling on the other handle, how is that anything other than touching handles?

The bevel edge is slightly undercut to the knurling. To be more clear in my statement, the knurling points were more like nose to nose. When the gripper is fully closed the knurling points will intersect creating a solid spot where the 2 bevel edges meet. The solid spot is what I look for. Of course , my view point can certainly be overidden ;)

The bevel edge is slightly undercut to the knurling,

6. The handles must touch.

The only requirement is that the "handles must touch".

EDIT: I see your clarification now, Zcor.

Edited by Cannon

Or Eric suggested this:

I like Eric's verbage better, however it would be good if Josh's question was further clarified within the rule to eliminate any ambiguity

Agreed, this is a much better change to the rule Bill, much clearer. And yes, Josh's question should be clarified in the re-write of the rules. It says no part below the elbow, but then it says only the upper arm, these somewhat contradict. Elbow contact or no?

zcor, in my opinion, if any part of the metal on both handles touch then it is a close, it shouldn't have to be a certain point on the metal. As Matt pointed out it just says the handles must touch, the knurling is part of the handles, and it is touching.

Analyze another still then - that was just one that Luke pulled from my Youtube video - are you going through the trouble because your considering passing me anyway?

How about someone re-writing ERic's version to include the verbage to cover the elbow properly. Suggestions?

Here is a still of the MM3 on my 3rd attempt - you can "double click" the image to enlarge the pic

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122495262..._890_283083.jpg

Zcor - I just enlarged this still to 400% and then 800% - try that and tell me what you think