2010 European Grip Champs

David Horne

Thank you, David and Florian.

Test of wrist strength is the harder event to find. Lever lifts, bending are very difficult to judge. On the other hand, the events that are the easiest are "thumbless" events.

Another option is table top wrist curl.

Absolutely. I don't know a good wrist event either.

But do we really need a "wrist event"? I think no.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jose Jara

• Florian Kellersmann

• burkhardmacht

• Martin_Arildsson

If you think the 1'' vbar is a potentially dangerous lift (bicep tendon injuries) you really should reconsider having the table top wrist curl. Australia for example does not have many grip fanatics but we still have two people who wrecked a tendon doing the table top wrist curl. It is quite a spectacular type of injury as the tendon snaps with a loud bang. David Horne heard mine snap and he, like everyone else at that competition seemed quite amazed by the sound produced. It really is quite loud.

Thank you, David and Florian.

Test of wrist strength is the harder event to find. Lever lifts, bending are very difficult to judge. On the other hand, the events that are the easiest are "thumbless" events.

Another option is table top wrist curl.

I wonder if there is any interest in adding a European Team Contest to this, to run in the background? My concept would be something like Cross Country Athletics - the first person from each country in each individual event would score points towards the Team Competition. It might add some extra interest I don't know.

GGC will have the weaver stick to rear in as wrist event. This could be an option too.

Very good idea, Flo :)

I think that a good contest would be:

1. Euro-Grippers

2. Euro-Pinch

3. Deadlift overhand, 2 inch bar

4. One hand deadlift

5. Weaver stick to rear

I think that it's a very complete contest.

Edited by Jose Jara

The events for this contest wil be:

1. Euro-Grippers

2. Euro-Pinch

3. Deadlift overhand, 2 inch bar

4. One hand deadlift

5. Weaver stick to rear

Chris,

sorry that i forgot your message. It's a very good idea and i'll consider to include it.

Nice list of events! Really looking forward to this contest already.

The events for this contest wil be:

4. One hand deadlift

Would that be "hook grip" or "no hook grip"?

No matter. If I have any pennies left these events are all on my 'kick yer asses' list.

Good events :rock I think we will go without hook again. Grip strength should be tested.

• 2 months later...

I put here the rules of the competition that i've done with the great help of Lucio Doncel, IPF referee cat I. The score system and the rules of the events are the same of BHSA, i've used it with the permission of David Horne.

Here the rules:

General rules of the competition

- Competition takes place between competitors in the same category, regardless of their bodyweight or age.

- Each competitor is allowed four attempts on each event. The competitor best valid attempt on each event, counts toward his competition total score. The winner will be the competitor achieving the highest total score at the end of the competition. If two or more competitors achieve the same total score, they will share the placing.

- Competition shall be restricted to competitors aged 18 years and older.

- Each nation is allowed a maximum of three competitors. The organizing country will have one competitor more.

- Point scoring for the nation competition shall be: 12, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 for the first nine placing. Each competitor finishing the competition shall be awarded one point.

- Trophies will be presented for first, second and third place in the individual and in the team competition.

- All the events shall be carried out in the place for that matter. It must be flat, firm, non-slip and level. It will have all the equipment necessary to carry the competition.

- Scoring System

We will be using the scoring system used in previous competitions. It is the one the Germans have been using for their competitions. So instead of all the constant messing around with updating coefficients, now it's just a simple maths formula. Here's an imaginary contest:

Lifter A gets 145k

Lifter B gets 137.5

Lifter C gets 95k

Lifter D gets 88k

The top lift gets a 100 points. The formula for the rest is, their lift (lifter B = 137.5) x 100 divided by 145 (top lift) = 94.82

Lifter A has 100points

Lifter B has 94.82

Lifter C has 65.51

Lifter D has 60.68

Events of the European Grip Championships 2010 and their rules

One Hand Grippers 20 mm block

Competitors will set the gripper down to a 20 mm block that is provided to measure the gap before the close. You will hold and apply the gauge yourself. Once the gripper is set (the other hand must be kept away from the gripping hand, arm and gripper) close the gripper till the handles touch. The grippers are the only event that does not operate on the rising bar principle. If you fail to close a gripper, you can attempt a lighter one on the next attempt. Competitors will be called in the order they appear on the recorder's sheet. Each time they are called, they will make one attempt with each hand.

Two Hands Pinch Lift

The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different hand sizes, but to keep it within the spirit of a pinch lift the minimum width allowed is the 2 outer steel discs and 2 rubber spacer discs, a width of 24mm. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The smooth-sided, adjustable-width disc is held on a 2 thick metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weights will be added to the outsides. The top of this is grasped with an overhand pinch grip (with no further than a 3 gap between the index fingers) and lifted until the end of the bar touches a horizontal stick placed at 16.5, measured from the underside of the stick to the floor. There is no referees signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control. If the outer discs accidentally touch the stick before the bar itself, referees discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed.

Additional equipment rules: 1. The apparatus has to be loaded with the same number of discs on each side, in the same order, and has to weigh similar (max 1k tolerance between the total weight of the weights at the front, and weights at the rear). 2. The heaviest discs should be loaded nearest to the adjustable pinch discs themselves. 3. The spacer/collars that hold the inside adjustable discs together should be the same length. 4. The discs added should be smaller in height than the adjustable discs you grasp, so that the view of the lifters hands are not totally obscured, and the lift starts from the proper height.

Two Hands Deadlift using a 2" thick barbell - overhand grip

Normal Deadlift rules apply, except the barbell is 2" thick, and both hands have to grasp the bar in an overhand grip (knuckles facing forward). Hook gripping is not permitted. Heels and toes may rise. The lift ends with the referee's signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

One Hand Deadlift using an Olympic Bar (with no hook grip)

The bar may either be raised in front of the lifter, or the lifter may straddle the bar. Hook gripping is not permitted. The free hand may be used to brace against the opposing leg. Foot spacing is optional, but may not change once the lift begins. Heels and toes may rise. The bar must be raised to a point where both ends of the bar are pulled to a height of mid knees or above and the legs must be straightened. The shoulders do not have to be pulled erect, nor the body straight as long as the legs are straight and the bar motionless with both ends above the knee joint. The lift ends with the referee's signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

Weaver Stick Lift to Rear

George Russell Weaver popularised this wrist leverage test some 50 years ago whilst living in Brooklyn. A round stick (mop handle) is used which has the following dimensions diameter about 1, length 42. Half an inch from one end cut a notch. Exactly 36 from the centre of this notch, circle the stick with a line. Get two metal right angles at a hardware store, and screw them into the top and bottom sides of the stick so that the rear edges of the right angles come exactly to the circled line. The topside of the stick is the side where the notch is cut. This leaves a handle just 5 ½ long.

The weight hangs from a wire in the notch ½ from the end, creating a leverage effect when you lift the stick by the handle. For the lift to the rear, you face away from the stick, grasping the handle with your little finger towards the weight, and lift the stick and weight off the table. You may bend your body forward as the lift is made.

The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. If the weighted end slopes downwards, you may carry on the event till the stick is level. You will then get the referees command to lower the stick. There must be no rocking of the stick on the table before lifting. The lifter hand and arm must remain free of the body. The heel of the hand must remain on top of the stick; if the hand twists around under the stick, the lift is not allowed. The grip has to be a normal grip with the thumb opposing the fingers.

Order of the competition

- Before the competition (maximum 30) all competitors must declare their start for all the events. Until five minutes (5) before the start of the competition (or each event) one change of this start is allowed. Having made his first attempt, the competitor must decide upon his choice for the second attempt and submitted to the competition secretary or other appointed official before one (1) minute time. The same procedure is to be used for the third and fourth attempt. Only the fourth attempt has two permitted changes. All the changes must be done before the speakers called to the competitor. These changes must be the same or greater than the weight previously utilized. The grippers are the only event that does not operate on the rising bar principle.

- Each competitor will take his first attempt in the first round, his second attempt in the second round, the third attempt in the third round and the fourth attempt in the fourth round.

- The bar must be loaded progressively during each round on the principle of a rising bar. At no time will the weight be lowered within a round except for error. Then, it would be lowered at the end of the round (the grippers will be the exception for this rule)

- The order within each round will be determined by the competitors choice for that round. In the event of two lifters choosing the same weight, the lifter with the lowest lot number drawn at the technical meeting will lift first.

- If unsuccessful with an attempt, the competitor does not follow himself, but must wait until the next round before he can attempt that weight again.

- If in a round an attempt is unsuccessful due to a wrongly loaded bar, spotter error or equipment failure, the competitor will be granted a further attempt at the correct weight at the end of the round.

- Lifters following themselves will have five minutes time placed on the clock, during which time the competitor can begin his attempt as soon he is ready.

- Competitors are allowed one minute in which to start his attempt after being called to the platform. If he does not start his attempt within this time allowance, the time keeper will call time and the Referee will declare no lift the attempt.

Edited by Jose Jara

That is the same list of events as last Gripmas except we did grippers in chokers- we can compare results when you are done. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Grip competitions are slowly coming to Russia. Maybe we can have competitors from there too at the euros.

http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ironworld.ru%2F&lp=ru_en&btnTrUrl=%C3%9Cbersetzen

• 4 weeks later...

What do you think about one hand testing instead of both? This would be applicable to the One hand Deadlift and the Weaver Stick to the Rear. The grippers would be tested with both hands. I think it could a good idea for reducing the time of the competition.

By the way, the official date for the Euro's is:

Date: Saturday, 31th July

Hour: 11:00

What do you think about one hand testing instead of both? This would be applicable to the One hand Deadlift and the Weaver Stick to the Rear. The grippers would be tested with both hands. I think it could a good idea for reducing the time of the competition.

By the way, the official date for the Euro's is:

Date: Saturday, 31th July

Hour: 11:00

Jose i think that if the right hand is used for the one hand deadlift then the left hand would have to be used for the weaver and vice versa. This will save time and still test both hands!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes,

it will be like this:

- grippers: both hands

- one hand deadlift: one hand.

- Weaver stick: one hand, the opposite of the hand used for the deadlift.

Please, check the document with information about hotels and the venue in my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/elmaravillosomundodelafuerza/home/agarre/competiciones

If you have any doubt, do not hesitate to ask me.

Jose

• 1 month later...

All,

Please, let me know who is interested in this contest.

At the moment,

There is a team from Uk, Gabriel Sum from Germany and a spanish team.

I will do a list with all the names :)