Fact And Fiction About Captains Of Crush ® Hand Grippers

coreylan

It's probably been posted on here before and most of you guys have probably read this, but it was the first time for me and I find it a little disturbing.

http://www.captainsofcrushgrippers.com/iro...ripperfact.html

This article certainly does not meet the standards of writing quality I would expect from someone who holds a Ph.D., regardless of his field of study. I am surprised he allowed this tripe to be posted on his website. It reads more like an evangelical sermon or a politician's mudslinging than anything remotely intellectual. I was thinking about buying some COCs (I currently use beefbuilders) but I don't think I will be supporting a company that publishes materials expressing this mindset. I have no idea what ax he's grinding at the bottom of the page under "CoC Variability" (I'm sure many of you do) but I do know that it has no place on a company's website in the public domain.

I guess I don't understand. The same positions may be clearly expressed without the snarky tone and thinly veiled insults levied against a broad subset of grip enthusiasts. Why should I support this company? Why should anyone support this company? Even if you agree with what the man is saying, I find it difficult to believe you support the delivery and if you do, chances are you aren't all that amicable to begin with.

Enlighten the rookie with 7 posts please. Much of this stuff is downright asinine. Not once have I (or anyone else, for that matter) heard someone pick up a gripper, squeeze it and say "It's a 1.7582..." The semantical babble about "calibration" is only slightly more plausible. And so on and so forth with the hyperbole and false dichotomies about hand size and such...

Is this link BS? I can't find it on ironmind.com, the link brings up "The phantom 4"! I think of one person, Timmy!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gaster

• vikingsrule92

• MalachiMcMullen

• Chris Mathison

It's probably been posted on here before and most of you guys have probably read this, but it was the first time for me and I find it a little disturbing.

http://www.captainsofcrushgrippers.com/iro...ripperfact.html

This article certainly does not meet the standards of writing quality I would expect from someone who holds a Ph.D., regardless of his field of study. I am surprised he allowed this tripe to be posted on his website. It reads more like an evangelical sermon or a politician's mudslinging than anything remotely intellectual. I was thinking about buying some COCs (I currently use beefbuilders) but I don't think I will be supporting a company that publishes materials expressing this mindset. I have no idea what ax he's grinding at the bottom of the page under "CoC Variability" (I'm sure many of you do) but I do know that it has no place on a company's website in the public domain.

I guess I don't understand. The same positions may be clearly expressed without the snarky tone and thinly veiled insults levied against a broad subset of grip enthusiasts. Why should I support this company? Why should anyone support this company? Even if you agree with what the man is saying, I find it difficult to believe you support the delivery and if you do, chances are you aren't all that amicable to begin with.

Enlighten the rookie with 7 posts please. Much of this stuff is downright asinine. Not once have I (or anyone else, for that matter) heard someone pick up a gripper, squeeze it and say "It's a 1.7582..." The semantical babble about "calibration" is only slightly more plausible. And so on and so forth with the hyperbole and false dichotomies about hand size and such...

Is this link BS? I can't find it on ironmind.com, the link brings up "The phantom 4"! I think of one person, Timmy!

"In the category of history repeating itself, the same source that promulgated the myth of dog legs and seasoning, told the world that Richard Sorin had a "phantom 4 gripper," a pre—No. 4 CoC Gripper that was tougher than a regular No. 4—and that Richard had closed it. The gripper in question came from IronMind, and we can tell you unequivocally that it certainly was not a No. 4 (phantom or otherwise). "

Sounds like trouble to me!

Whois Record

Registrant:

IronMind

po box 1228

Nevada City, CA 95959

US

Domain Name: CAPTAINSOFCRUSHGRIPPERS.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

IronMind

po box 1228

Nevada City, CA 95959

US

999 999 9999 fax: 999 999 9999

Record expires on 16-May-2010.

Record created on 16-May-2007.

Database last updated on 26-Aug-2008 00:11:27 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.RACKSPACE.COM 69.20.95.4

NS2.RACKSPACE.COM 65.61.188.4

http://whois.domaintools.com/captainsofcrushgrippers.com

http://www.domaintools.com/reverse-ip/?hos...ushgrippers.com

Look an IP Address

Enter an IP address or domain name into the form below and click "Look Up" to get a list of domains hosted on the same IP address.

IP/Domain Name:

Example: 192.168.% or 64.233.161.104

There are 3 domains hosted on this IP address.

Captainsofcrushgrippers.com

Ironmind.com

Strongandhealthyhands.com

* Mark Felix sets a new world record on the Rolling Thunder® with his 301-lb. lift at the Super Series Mohegan Sun Grand Prix

* IronMind launches the website for hand health – www.strongandhealthyhands.com

* IronMind’s Randall Strossen receives a Certificate of Merit from the European Weightlifting Federation, the first non-European ever to win this award

* IronMind’s president, Randall Strossen, and Captains of Crush Grippers are featured in a story in The Sacramento Bee

* IronMind’s Draft Horse Pulling Harness is shown on CBS’s The Early Show, as Derek Poundstone pulls a bus down New York’s 5th Avenue. Later,Phil Pfister pulls the same bus down 7th Avenue in front of Madison Square Garden—kicking off the Super Series Grand Prix

* MILO covers the groundbreaking FORTISSIMUS 2008 event, in honor of Louis Cyr

* IronMind’s Randall Strossen is inducted into the Louis Cyr Hall of Fame at FORTISSIMUS 2008 for his work as a journalist and photographer

* MILO is again—for the fourth time!—the only U.S. Iron Game publication to receive accreditation to cover weightlifting at the Olympics . . . watch for our daily reports from Beijing

* IronMind launches a specialty website for Captains of Crush Grippers – www.captainsofcrushgrippers.com

* IronMind adds closing the No. 3.5 Captains of Crush Grippers to its world-renowned certification program

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/i...n/timeline.html

The biggest critic of Captains of Crush grippers was a fellow who wanted to be affiliated with IronMind, but when his overtures were turned down, he tried to blackmail IronMind by threatening to “test” CoC grippers and “reveal” their weaknesses. In fact, the only real weakness was his research, a testament to his ignorance and dishonesty. As it turned out, this fellow’s data demonstrated the successful evolution of IronMind's grippers and their superiority, so we appreciate that.

Who's this talking about?

He is just trying to make more money, having people do TNS and not doing KTA or the best training methods will make people take longer to cert and therefore buy more products to help get them to their goal. Sure its messed up but he is a buisness man.

From Ironmind:

"The phantom 4

In the category of history repeating itself, the same source that promulgated the myth of dog legs and seasoning, told the world that Richard Sorin had a "phantom 4 gripper," a pre—No. 4 CoC Gripper that was tougher than a regular No. 4—and that Richard had closed it. The gripper in question came from IronMind, and we can tell you unequivocally that it certainly was not a No. 4 (phantom or otherwise). "

-----

AN INTERVIEW WITH RICHARD SORIN

This interview was featured in Iron Grip magazine Vol 2 # 2, Apr 2002

Conducted by David Horne

*Can you tell me the history of the phantom #4 gripper that was calibrated at 621 inch pounds by PDA?

The Phantom "4" as referred to, arrived one day in '91 or '92 in a plain box with no explanation. I knew it was from Ironmind and due to the size of the spring I got pretty excited. I gave it a trial squeeze and it went down well so, I went out into our gym facility to find a witness for an all out try. I told the person what I was going to do and that one day it may be important to remember the event (they still do). I came very close on the first try and shut it solid on my second. Later that day Mr. Strossen called and asked if I got his "joke". I said yes, and that I had closed it. There was a bit of silence on the phone line . . . this was at the time the #4 gripper was still unnamed. As I recall, 3 more of these grippers were made and given to John Brookfield, Dr, Ken Leistner and one kept by Mr. Strossen. I had the phantom 4 tested by PDA 11 times as to be sure of the validity of the test measurement of 621 inch pounds. That gripper is one of my most prized possessions.

------

my comment:

Randy is basically saying that the Phantom 4 is different, and easier than a regular #4.

RGC measurements seem pretty repeatable. I wonder if Richard would allow the Phantom 4 to be measured in an RGC. (Or maybe this was done already.)

Then we can put this issue to rest easily. It will be easy to compare the Phantom 4 measurements to regular production #4 measurements.

(I know PDA did some gripper measurements, but I can't find that page now, which is why I bring up the RGC.)

A site sponsor.

"who wanted to be affiliated with IronMind"

This is one of the more comical statements. Not even close.

Don't believe everything you read...but I don't have to tell savy Gripboard members that. After all, gripboard members are the ones that blew the lid off of variances in grippers. Not some company or some guy who wrote an ebook. ;)

Nice coverup. The original #3 grippers with steel handles and chrome springs are the EXACT same strength as the newest #3 grippers.

:):):):)

• 11 months later...

Here is another quote

"Seasoning is for steaks, dog legs allow your best friend to run, and phantom fours are just that--and if you think these are concepts central to understanding grippers and grip strength, we politely suggest that you read this book."

For the newer members, I think it should be noted that Richard Sorin did comment on the original gripboard (e-z board for those who were around back then) that he believed the "phantom 4" was a little easier than the #4s of the late 90's early 2000s. It was only until PDA calibrated a higher closing pressure than any other gripper tested that their was all this talk about it. Mr. Sorin never exagerated any claim about the gripper, he stated two things.

1) he closed the gripper

2) PDA calibrated that gripper higher than any of the #4s they had tested.

There was a lot of hype about the phantom 4. Also, I think Dr. Strossen took it personally that someone was trying to downgrade the feats of others or justify certification--obviously not the case. Interestingly enough, there is still trash talk going on about this one gripper and closure. As someone who has felt the phantom 4, I feel confident speaking about it, and I mean no offense to anyone by this post.

Edited by RiotGrip

The biggest critic of Captains of Crush grippers was a fellow who wanted to be affiliated with IronMind, but when his overtures were turned down, he tried to blackmail IronMind by threatening to "test" CoC grippers and "reveal" their weaknesses. In fact, the only real weakness was his research, a testament to his ignorance and dishonesty. As it turned out, this fellow's data demonstrated the successful evolution of IronMind's grippers and their superiority, so we appreciate that.

This is Randy's way of insulting John for calibrating his alleged accurate grippers.

I also truly believe that Randall is giving bogus advice about training or trying to get people to train the wrong way just to up sales for his company. I used to talk to Randall about the grippers and about training when I first started training on them and I came to realize that every other email I got from him was a suggestion to buy other tools that will help me with grippers.

When I first started training on grippers I wasn't able to close the #1 - I was training parallel reps and was finally able to close the #2 around 4-5 months into my training. Just so you guys should know, the #2 I had was a "HARD" 3" spread and it felt like a total brick to me when I started training with grippers. Not knowing anything about CoC variability or training, when I finally closed the #2 - I asked Randy for training advice and he suggested that I switch from Parallel reps to Full Reps - all the sudden what happened? I was stuck on only doing one rep on the #2 forever! I look back on how I wasted my time listening to this guy who obviously isn't strong nor knows anything about training on the grippers (his only intent is to market and sell them). Today I can close my #2.5 and can get just over 10 reps on the #2.

Just in case any of you are wondering, it is said that Randy closed a #2 in his prime (hard or easy not mentioned) but today he cannot do so. Are we to take advice from someone who can't even close a #2 ?

Most of you know that Randy wrote an article about me not long ago because I sent him back a defective gripper I received and instead of him thanking me for bringing it to his attention, he went on to write negative things about me.

I got a phone call from Randy not long ago stating that some teenager called him up cursing at him and mentioned the article that was written about me and how Randy doesn't appreciate my behavior and that I'm BANNED from IronMind...Hahahaha!

Only Randy could go and BAN his customers after they spend a few thousand dollars with him.

Here's a picture of how this creature looks - are we to take advice on grip training from someone out of shape, bald, and has frail weak hands? http://www.fortissimus.ca/app/ImageReposit...llStrossen2.jpg

I took 2 #2's to about 10 different people I know that train grip and they were all fresh each time I let them try the grippers and all remarked that the wider #2 felt way harder!!!

How many people does he need to tell him that the grippers vary to get it through his thick head?

He really thinks hundreds are wrong and he's alone in the dark being correct?

Randy should be sending free gifts to Bill and thanking him til his final day - because this GripBoard has actually fed the Strossen family more than any advertising he has ever done!

Edited by DannyGrip

The biggest critic of Captains of Crush grippers was a fellow who wanted to be affiliated with IronMind, but when his overtures were turned down, he tried to blackmail IronMind by threatening to "test" CoC grippers and "reveal" their weaknesses. In fact, the only real weakness was his research, a testament to his ignorance and dishonesty. As it turned out, this fellow's data demonstrated the successful evolution of IronMind's grippers and their superiority, so we appreciate that.

This is Randy's way of insulting John for calibrating his alleged accurate grippers.

I also truly believe that Randall is giving bogus advice about training or trying to get people to train the wrong way just to up sales for his company. I used to talk to Randall about the grippers and about training when I first started training on them and I came to realize that every other email I got from him was a suggestion to buy other tools that will help me with grippers.

When I first started training on grippers I wasn't able to close the #1 - I was training parallel reps and was finally able to close the #2 around 4-5 months into my training. Just so you guys should know, the #2 I had was a "HARD" 3" spread and it felt like a total brick to me when I started training with grippers. Not knowing anything about CoC variability or training, when I finally closed the #2 - I asked Randy for training advice and he suggested that I switch from Parallel reps to Full Reps - all the sudden what happened? I was stuck on only doing one rep on the #2 forever! I look back on how I wasted my time listening to this guy who obviously isn't strong nor knows anything about training on the grippers (his only intent is to market and sell them). Today I can close my #2.5 and can get just over 10 reps on the #2.

Just in case any of you are wondering, it is said that Randy closed a #2 in his prime (hard or easy not mentioned) but today he cannot do so. Are we to take advice from someone who can't even close a #2 ?

Most of you know that Randy wrote an article about me not long ago because I sent him back a defective gripper I received and instead of him thanking me for bringing it to his attention, he went on to write negative things about me.

I got a phone call from Randy not long ago stating that some teenager called him up cursing at him and mentioned the article that was written about me and how Randy doesn't appreciate my behavior and that I'm BANNED from IronMind...Hahahaha!

Only Randy could go and BAN his customers after they spend a few thousand dollars with him.

Here's a picture of how this creature looks - are we to take advice on grip training from someone out of shape, bald, and has frail weak hands? http://www.fortissimus.ca/app/ImageReposit...llStrossen2.jpg

I took 2 #2's to about 10 different people I know that train grip and they were all fresh each time I let them try the grippers and all remarked that the wider #2 felt way harder!!!

How many people does he need to tell him that the grippers vary to get it through his thick head?

He really thinks hundreds are wrong and he's alone in the dark being correct?

Randy should be sending free gifts to Bill and thanking him til his final day - because this GripBoard has actually fed the Strossen family more than any advertising he has ever done!

I think most people can agree that grippers vary(IM and all other varieties), and that you are better off talking to grip trainers(as opposed to a sports psychologist with more than a passing interest in the Iron Game) about getting your grip stronger. Also, we can always make valid critiques of others opinions that we don't agree with, and even criticize the methods they pursue if we choose. I also acknowledge that Randy has taken the whole gripper variance issue a little too personally and made unfair comments about others.

However, I don't see the benefit of personally insulting someone--about their appearance no less. What does it prove? I can see where you and others could have a beef with the man but I'd keep the complaints/rants limited to his methodology/beliefs rather than his appearance.

In fairness to Dr. Stossen he has inspired many people who may not have tremendous genetics to become stronger. Most of us would have never touched a gripper if it weren't for him. The man has a Ph. D. in Sports psychology, so he does no something about getting stronger. However, as a business, he found a niche market in making and selling grip equipment. I believe his true passion lies with powerlifting and olympic lifting.

As a side point, Slim "the Hammer Man" Farman can not fully close a #2 as far as I know, and he is around 75 now. But if you tried to squeeze his hand and he squeezed you back my guess is you'd submit pretty quickly. Point being, the difficulty of gripper you can close is not the end all be all to your crushing grip strength.