Fact And Fiction About Captains Of Crush ® Hand Grippers

coreylan

I am too narcissistic to stop buying Coc grippers made from a company with writing prejudice. I am too narcissistic to cease eating mercurized tuna. I am too narcissistic to keep from buying stuff at Wal-mart (you may or may not know that they underpay their employees). I am too narcissistic to avoid drinking water from Nalgene bottles... and the list goes on. I think it to be impossible to draw a line or to avoid contact with products, people and ideas because this world has belligerence everywhere. I for one am selfish, yet people still interact with me (just not that many). By the way, there are a lot of employees at Ironmind (I am guessing) that are nice, polite and good-hearted. Buy a Coc gripper with them in mind.

I agree...except the part about tuna. Canned tuna is generally safe from mercury contamination. It is made form small tuna varieties...the big ones that are used for sushi and fish steaks are the only ones you need to worry about.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gaster

• vikingsrule92

• MalachiMcMullen

• Chris Mathison

Another parody is clearly in order :D . Stay tuned...

Can't wait Josh! you last one had me rollin! :laugh

Its stuff like that, that is pushing me to make my own grippers.

- Aaron

I'll buy them for sure! ......... I already own a couple of your creations and they are the best grippers I own!

Mark - did Randy reply to your last email you sent him?

I agree Josh!!! You and Ben should do a collaberation, both of your parodys of Randys stuff were HILARIOUS!!!

Paul, I've seen some of Aaron's early model grippers and eventually, with some work and figuring out his set up they should be awesome! His first couple were made with the very simplest setup I've ever seen, not bad though.

I'm not narcissistic. (I'm much better than that :) )

So, I have no problem switching to BB grippers. As a beginner, I own two COC grippers (no BBs) , but I've been thinking of buying one for my next purchase, so now I guess I will.

At the very least, the article seems very (and unnecessarily) condescending. Makes me want to spend my money elsewhere.

Mark - did Randy reply to your last email you sent him?

Nope, I wish he did though, would love to have his motivation for changing the certification while maintaining the already certified list.....

Posted part 1 and 2 over at the Power and Bulk forum, in the Don Larkin 80d nail section. I figured I'd save the moderators over here some work.

What prompted Strossen to write that article in the first place? Doesn't he realize that a good percentage of his business probably comes from members of this website? Is he trying to chase people off?

I am not big on personal attacks but Strossen is a joke. I am not sure how a PhD in Psychology gives one the knowledge or the right to publish weightlifting or strength books and then ridicule his customers and those who have decades of training on him. For someone with a psychology degree he's not very good at applying those concepts. If his intent was to patronize his customers and further alienate knowldegeable members of the grip community then he has done a remarkable job.

#1 I routinely criticize people who ignorantly half squat, bench, etc yet the big difference is that these people are ignorant of what it means to perform a full rep. Yet if I know these same people do so with a specific goal then I have no issue with them. The bottom of the squat for example is the most difficult portion of the range of motion in this exercise in the same way that the last inch is the hardest portion of a gripper so if Strossen wanted to make a proper analogy then this would be the equivalent. By making half assed attempt at ridiculing his customers, he invariably demonstrated that he has very poor understanding of lifting weights or from a science aspect the biomechanics of a given exercise.

#2 Strossen is belittling a method of closing grippers that 90+% of the people who closed the #3 and 100% of #4 used to certify-parallel set. I bet Strossen changed the rules because it bruised his ego more than anything. How could all these men close his fabled grippers when he was struggling with a Trainer himself in all likelihood?

#3 Strossen has poor idea of rules of a given sport. He cannot change rules after the fact and yet keep the accomplishment/certification lists as one. Personally those who closed his grippers with CCS or better set are considerably stronger than those who closed those some grippers with parallel sets and it is disrespect to those people.

#4 This type of article is the exact reason why I choose to support a man like Warren Tetting who treats his customers with respect unlike Strossen who only finds new ways to belittle them like a little child. I preferred Beef Builder grippers to CoC for a long time and I dont understand why everyone is so caught up with ironmind. I think that if you want that type of a gripper than Robert Baraban's are superior in every imaginable way.

#5 Strossen also fails to realize that his grippers are only a means to an end for a lot of people. Closing a progressively tougher gripper in any way is a sign of progress and increase in strength. I personally got a lot of use from closing a gripper from a deep set and keeping it shut for time as I try to OC it, in order to increase my deadlift support strength. This method has worked quite well for me.

For reference I have closed various #3s...including his newer version and the previous double stamped #3. There's a considerable difference. Yes I know the difference between closing a gripper after a high volume of other training and being fresh. I also know how much of a difference creatine can make as well.

Edited by menace3000

Posted part 1 and 2 over at the Power and Bulk forum, in the Don Larkin 80d nail section. I figured I'd save the moderators over here some work.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D You've missed your calling! Will your stand-up routine be touring the UK soon? :rock:bow:rock:bow:rock:bow:cool

Well done Josh!! I like it!!!

menace3000, go to powerandbulk.com and go to the forum then the Don Larkin 80d section. I'm not sure if I can post a link so I won't.

I just like how he writes his name and degree in giant letters on every picture on the website.

rjs.JPG

Damnit why can't I post pictures.

Edited by Klotz

Nice, not to mention amusing, post on Powerandbulk Jad! :rock:rock

It's really sad to see IM acting like this. Making fun of your customers isn't a good way of making business. Is he one of the hit and run business dealers? A friend of mine saw my IM grippers and wanted to buy it and I gave him IM website. Now I will ask him not to buy fro them and instead from another website like BB.

Am I missing something here? I didn't find anything even remotely close to what you guys are talking about. That link shows an article giving the facts about IM grippers. Not making fun of people that use them. Are you guys high?

Edited by Codemaster

Am I missing something here? I didn't find anything even remotely close to what you guys are talking about. That link shows an article giving the facts about IM grippers. Not making fun of people that use them. Are you guys high?

Did you actually read it or just give it a cursory glance? :dry

I read everything on that page, TWICE! I still can not find anything making fun of people for using IM products.

hahaha, i'm a newb to this, but when i close the #4 and get cert'd and they do the little interview deal they do, and ask me "how did you train to attain this strength?" i'm going to simply reply, "the gripboard helped TONS" hahaha. i bet he wouldn't like that.

ok, i got my #4 in and after further examination of this product, i'm going to have to think long and hard about this "certifying" process lol. this thing is beastly.

I read everything on that page, TWICE! I still can not find anything making fun of people for using IM products.

They're not making fun of people for using IM products. They're ridiculing the training techniques many people here use - people who probably more often than not are IM's customers.

They're not making fun of people for using IM products. They're ridiculing the training techniques many people here use - people who probably more often than not are IM's customers.

That's exactly it. Not to mention an unprofessional tone and a pot-shot at Bill, who, may I add, is responsible for IM selling more grip equipment than Randall ever dreamed.

ok, i got my #4 in and after further examination of this product, i'm going to have to think long and hard about this "certifying" process lol. this thing is beastly.

:laugh :laugh :laugh

Edited by Magnus

can you guys quote the offensive part, im not getting it too......

IM hates the idea of a parallel set and is telling people it's useless and stupid. They are also talking about how useless calibration is, how useless your hands will be if you only use parallel sets, how Strossen doesn't approve of Bill Piche(Wannagrip-the administrator) writing the KTA(Kinney Training Adapted) e-book and how it helps so many people become so much stronger on grippers so fast. Strossen seems to think the ONLY PROPER way to train is with a wide open and full TNS set or at least 2 1/8" wide set.

What Strossen fails to realize is that a VERY good amount of his business comes from this board and board-members friends/associates. Strossen doesn't use his grippers!!!! Who is he to tell you how to train with them?

There was actually a thread a little while ago where people were talking about TNS strength. It was determined that the guys with the best MMS(Parallel set) closes ALSO had the best TNS closes. The guys who trained mainly with CCS and wider sets were lagging behind quite a bit.

Calibration IS VERY USEFULL to those who like #'s and those who wish to know a more exact progression in their grippers than simply guessing by feel.

One last thing, the guys with the biggest MMS gripper closes hardly ever fall lower than 10th place in contests. So do parallel sets make your hands useless? No Randall, no they don't.

can you guys quote the offensive part, im not getting it too......

Pretty much all of it is offensive, but here is what I posted earlier in this thread. Obviously many missed it.

This part is upsetting, (along with a bunch of others):

"Good numbers, bad numbers: measuring the spread

Every now and then, we have some customers who measure the spread of their new Captains of Crush Hand Grippers (sometimes through the plastic packaging) and then panic if they think it is off by .001 inch—something that might make a machinist suggest a better use for dial calipers. This is the type of thing that gives us pause, especially when the same person says that a credit card is less than 2 inches wide or maybe that it's 2-1/4 inches—it's actually 2-1/8 inches, and anyone armed with even a child's ruler should be able to come up with that number.

The point here is to, first, make sure you know what you are measuring if you feel the need to do so—and second, try not to magnify insignificant differences from one gripper to the next. "

Doesn't Randy realize some of his #3 grippers have had a 2 3/4" spread and some have had a 3 1/4" spread?

A half inch from one gripper to another that are supposed to be rated the same is a big deal.

He could use his proverbial child's ruler to measure that. No dial caliper needed.

Also the personal attack on Wannagrip was uncalled for:

"Kinney Training Adapted

This is the unabbreviated title of an e-book purportedly based on Joe Kinney's training. In fact, Joe Kinney had no role in this book and has a rather low opinion of both its author and the advice in it."

It pays to be good friends with Strossen. That way if you think of a way to make certing on the #3 easier you can just call him for some on the fly creative rule bending. Tailor made just for you only.

It pays to be good friends with Strossen. That way if you think of a way to make certing on the #3 easier you can just call him for some on the fly creative rule bending. Tailor made just for you only.

I am not "good friends" by any means, but get along with him fine. He certainly did not give me any breaks in June when I missed it by a razorblade at most. Although he has encouraged me to try again, he does not want me to give it a shot again unless I am dominating my own. In my case, I cannot disagree with the way he handled the matter any step of the way. He was generous with cooperation to arrange it, would have let me have as many attempts as I wanted, but was not going to give it a white light unless it was 100% closed. He critiqued my style after each one (you braced your leg that time, that was extremely close, let me look at it on the camera, etc).

Is that piece on his website defensive? Absolutely. Would I have done that? Absolutely not. Will I buy products from them in the future? Absolutely. Does Dr. RS engage in "puffery"? Absolutely. Are the #3 grippers they produce now in a pretty narrow target zone? You know, the way I have read the recent ranges in the gripper "calibration kick" we are on, it turns out they are way more consistent than I had thought. I figured that one every 5 was outside the zone. I think it is more like one out of 20 these days. What do you want for 19 Bucks? A Space Shuttle?