Calibrated Choked Closes (parallel)

Paul Knight

I almost forgot! ......... This one is an important piece to the puzzle! if your choked closes are nowhere near what your MMS closes are, then you know, you need to focus on your setting!

this will be a very interesting thread to track to see the relationship between your choked closes and MMS closes are

please post your best choked closes first and then the difference between your best choked close and best MMS close.

example: 150 (choked to parallel) / 15 (difference) ........... best MMS was 135

150 / 15

the higher the second number ... the more you need to practice your set! ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vikingsrule92

• Paul Knight

• bencrush

• ewokhugo

145/7 But I got really damn close on the 145 at MMS, and really damn close to a 143 (or was it 142 Paul?) MMS in Texas.

145/7 But I got really damn close on the 145 at MMS, and really damn close to a 143 (or was it 142 Paul?) MMS in Texas.

It was a 143 Derek .... it was really close, I think if you farted it would have shut :laugh

It was a 143 Derek .... it was really close, I think if you farted it would have shut :laugh

Hahaha, the 145 the other day was pretty damn close to Paul, 1/16" or so.

189/23

I obviously gain significantly when I use a choker.

As soon as we can get some solid #'s, I'll start a list similar to the "Calibrated Gripper Close" list that "ewokhugo" is doing (good job BTW)

Please only list your gripper closes that are calibrated and know the exact calibration so that this may be a competitive list - thanks in advance! :)

173.8# at Gripmas 2007 - I've done a hair better but not in a comp

Best Gripper closes choked to parallel

#1. Aaron Corcorran .......................... 204

#2. Josh Dale .................................... 202

#3. Ben Edwards ............................... 192

#4. Eric Milfeld .................................. 189

#5. Chris Rice ................................... 173.8

#6. Derek Graybill ............................. 145

I'd like to eventually have this list evolve into a top 50 list, so what I'd also like to have when you post your closes are the following:

Full Name and parenthetically state your username

Type of gripper closed, ie.. IM, tetting, RB, HG etc..

Country

if you set a new PR, lets have the date too (for sake of getting the list started - don't worry about the date unless you know it)

If anyone would like to see anymore info about the gripster, your suggestions would be appreciated (weight/age etc..?)

If this list gets serious enough, we might need to set up a vote regarding the rules (witness/video/comp or not, etc..)

I like the idea of a "Calibrated" list because no other gripper list has this, so you don't really know what the athlete is closing :rolleyes (MM and RB are close, but still don't know what they really are) Great Idea Hugo!

Edited by Paul Knight

Man some weaker people need to post here so I'm not losing by 20+ lbs any more :D Mine was a #3 on 8-7-08 if you want to put it up there Paul.

Edited by vikingsrule92

206/16

It has long been clear to me that my set sucks. :blush

I just missed you Teemu - we must have been posting at the same time :rolleyes

I will update the list again once I get a few more participants :)

Hey Paul, I got the 150 gripper at SOHGC 3 this year :D I tried Derek, now it is only 5 lbs

Hey Paul, I got the 150 gripper at SOHGC 3 this year :D I tried Derek, now it is only 5 lbs

Thanks Mike :D I got really close to my 156 today so I'll be beating you soon enough :tongue

BBSE 192.5 / BBE 22.5

Gregory Allen (porkchop)

United States

I don't remember the date... some time in 2006.

pc

206/16

It has long been clear to me that my set sucks. :blush

I just missed you Teemu - we must have been posting at the same time :rolleyes

I will update the list again once I get a few more participants :)

No problem Paul.

Very good idea to talk about the difference between choker close strength and MMS strength. The number indicating the difference could be used as a good guideline I believe. Maybe a difference greater than 10 lbs would indicate that you need to work more on your sweep strength or setting strength or it might be your off hand that's holding you back.

Calibrated Choked Close: 156.4

Bob Sundin (odin)

IM #3

Crooksville, OH USA

Gripmas Carol contest

Dec 8, 2007

I haven't tried any calibrated grippers other than in Climber's contest, so I don't have a MM comparison.

Edited by odin

Bob Sundin (odin)

IM #3

Crooksville, OH USA

Gripmas Carol contest

Dec 8, 2007

I haven't tried any calibrated grippers other than in Climber's contest, so I don't have a MM comparison.

Bob - the 156.4 gripper at Gripmas was my BBGM - not the #3

Bob Sundin (odin)

IM #3

Crooksville, OH USA

Gripmas Carol contest

Dec 8, 2007

Bob - the 156.4 gripper at Gripmas was my BBGM - not the #3

Thanks Climber. I didn't know that, thought it was another #3.

147/14

Pacific Grip Off 8-10-08

Lone Wolfs #3 yesterday at the grip comp! Yeehaw my first #3. Thanks Robert! (and congrats on the win!)

Best Gripper closes choked to parallel

#1. Teemu Ilvesniemi (Teemu I) ......................................... 206 .......................................................... Finland

#2. Aaron Corcorran (Acorn) .............................................. 204 .......................................................... USA

#3. Josh Dale (Jad) ............................................................ 202 .......................................................... USA

#4. Gregory Allen (Porkchop) ............................................. 192.5 ........... BBSE ................................... USA

#5. Ben Edwards (Bencrush) .............................................. 192 ........................................................... USA

#6. Eric Milfeld (Ericmilfeld) ................................................ 189 ................................... 4/19/08 ........... USA

#7. Chris Rice (Climber511) ............................................... 173.8 ........................................................ USA

#8. Bob Sundin (Odin) ....................................................... 156.4 ........... BBGM ........... 12/8/07 .......... USA

#9. Mike Hadland (Booyah) ................................................ 150 .............. IM #3 ........... 4/19/08 .......... USA

#10. (Number Ten Ox) ....................................................... 147 .............. IM #3 ........... 8/10/08 .......... USA

#11. Derek Graybill (Vikingsrule92)...................................... 145 .............. IM #3 ........... 8/7/08 ............ USA

Some of the these numbers are close! ie.. Ben and Greg: if I get two that are the same, the date will determine who gets the upper placement, and if there is no date then is whomever turns in their data first ;)

How many (when calibrating) include the decimal places? I could see a situation come up w/this regarding the list - if I'm not mistaken, some do not include the decimal place - is this right? if so - we will need to determine a standard for placement in this situation. Any ideas?

Calibrated gripper closed # 157

April 19, 2008 Show of Hands Grip Cup, Ft Worth, TX

I believe the gripper was a PDA of some sort. Maybe Eric can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Best gripper MMS was # 143. IM#3 for a difference of 14 lbs.