3.5 Credit Card Set....done!

1stCoC

Tex should certainly be given another chance to prove himself infront of a reliable witness.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• mobsterone

• StalwartSentinel

• OldGuy

From Ironmind's site it appears they have already accepted it...at least he is on the roster so I would assume it has been accepted.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/i...nsofcrush6.html

sigh, i dont agree with ironmind having someone else do the card thing is an unfair advantage, especially considering how fast the card was passed between the legs of the gripper, it was like BAM BAM, when in other #3 cert vids mainly the overseas ones ive seen the certer held the card themselves between the legs for like 5 seconds which is more difficult. Its even stated right in the rules not sure how it was overlooked. not cool

Getting someone else to put the card in makes it harder? I'm going to have to try it out. But I guess either way It really doesn't matter and those certs are not following the rules and need to be dealt with accordingly.

I would be suprised if Strossen took them off the list. It will be easier for him just to change the rules again.

Getting someone else to put the card in makes it harder? I'm going to have to try it out. But I guess either way It really doesn't matter and those certs are not following the rules and need to be dealt with accordingly.

Actually, getting someone else to put the card in makes it easier for most of us. That way you can use your off hand to set the gripper, without fussing around and trying to hold ontothe credit card and then insert it yourself. It doesn't sound like it would make a big difference but it makes a big enough difference that it was in the rules as written by Strossen himself.

Actually, getting someone else to put the card in makes it easier for most of us. That way you can use your off hand to set the gripper, without fussing around and trying to hold ontothe credit card and then insert it yourself. It doesn't sound like it would make a big difference but it makes a big enough difference that it was in the rules as written by Strossen himself.

Damnit thats what i ment to say :). I fumbled up my words. :blush

Edited by PowerHouse

It has advantages beyond that. Asking your brain/CNS to do two tasks that vary like crushing with all your strength in one hand and delicately holding a card in another is hard. Its like trying to hold a glass in one hand and squeeze the hell outta something in the other, without breaking the glass. Your not going to do either task very well or atleast to your best abilities. Without fussing with the card you can focus your entire brain and CNS on the task at hand which is extreme crushing. I only state it because its part of the discussion. Just for the record I think Tex's and all other closes done with a different person holding the card are legit and should stand.

Edited by Chris Mathison

It has advantages beyond that. Asking your brain/CNS to do two tasks that vary like crushing with all your strength in one hand and delicately holding a card in another is hard. Its like trying to hold a glass in one hand and squeeze the hell outta something in the other, without breaking the glass. Your not going to do either task very well or atleast to your best abilities. Without fussing with the card you can focus your entire brain and CNS on the task at hand which is extreme crushing. I only state it because its part of the discussion. Just for the record I think Tex's and all other closes done with a different person holding the card are legit and should stand.

How can you possible say all that and still say it is legit? What is the point of the rules if people dont follow them?

How can you possible say all that and still say it is legit? What is the point of the rules if people dont follow them?

It is legit because the feat of strength is closing the gripper from a credit card width. That was done. Suggesting that it should not stand reminds me of a thread I read recently where a young female golfer was disqualified on the 2nd or 3rd day of a tournament because she forgot to sign her scorecard. Judgement should be used. The feat is closing the gripper from CC width and it was done. Who holds the CC has nothing to do with it and doesnt affect the outcome. Do we really want to limit what we can crush by having to hold something else in the other hand? Just my opinion.

Edited by Chris Mathison

[

It is legit because the feat of strength is closing the gripper from a credit card width. That was done. Suggesting that it should not stand reminds me of a thread I read recently where a young female golfer was disqualified one the 2nd or 3rd day of a tournament because she forgot to sign her scorecard. Judgement should be used. The feat is closing the gripper from CC width and it was done. Who holds the CC has nothing to do with it and doesnt affect the outcome. Just my opinion.

I agree-if the point of the CC is to show width it doesn't matter at all who holds it...it does seem to make the close harder but so would a lot of superfluous things-all this because of some poorly written rules!

I would have to say that the close was a great feat of strength, but not a legitimate certifiable close. The rule here seems very clear and apparently was not followed. That alone excludes it from being a legitimate (ie, in accordance with established requirements, or recognized rules and standards) certifiable close. jmho, of course.

Then again, the authority who sets the rules can ignore of change them at his pleasure, I suppose. In any case, it will be interesting to see how it is handled.

It's unfortunate that the rules were not followed. I hope Tex gets another chance to be the 'first' and gets better counsel/assistance from the witness.

I wish they would stay with the strict rules and take it down. The more lenient it becomes, the less credible this sport will become. It will become like some federations of powerlifting, where they can use as much drugs, and much gear, and do quarter squats out of a monolift and call it a world record. I really don't want grip to go this way :(

It is legit because the feat of strength is closing the gripper from a credit card width. That was done. Suggesting that it should not stand reminds me of a thread I read recently where a young female golfer was disqualified on the 2nd or 3rd day of a tournament because she forgot to sign her scorecard. Judgement should be used. The feat is closing the gripper from CC width and it was done. Who holds the CC has nothing to do with it and doesnt affect the outcome. Do we really want to limit what we can crush by having to hold something else in the other hand? Just my opinion.

So change the rules.............again. But it wasn't done according to these rules and like others have said the rules are in place for a reason. I believe I read a while ago that someone wanted to TNS a gripper and he was told by Strossen to use the credit card. I dont really think it is fair for someone to not go by the rules and others have to. Do you? Yes it is unfortunate for Tex he is obviously strong enough(duh) but it has to be voided due to a technicality. Give him another crack at it and let him do it right.

I agree we shouldn't limit what we can crush because were fumbling around with CC's, if your saying the CCS needs to go, then your preaching to the choir. But those are the rules. As to the bolded part re read what you were telling me at the first quote.

Hope im not sounding like a prick, or as Strossen likes to say a "keyboard warrior".

Edited by PowerHouse

So change the rules.............again. But it wasn't done according to these rules and like others have said the rules are in place for a reason. I believe I read a while ago that someone wanted to TNS a gripper and he was told by Strossen to use the credit card. I dont really think it is fair for someone to not go by the rules and others have to. Do you? Yes it is unfortunate for Tex he is obviously strong enough(duh) but it has to be voided due to a technicality. Give him another crack at it and let him do it right.

I agree we shouldn't limit what we can crush because were fumbling around with CC's, if your saying the CCS needs to go, then your preaching to the choir. But those are the rules. As to the bolded part re read what you were telling me at the first quote.

Hope im not sounding like a prick, or as Strossen likes to say a "keyboard warrior".

HAHA.. not a prick at all. Just a discussion. as for the bolded part.. You are right. It was a poor choice of words. I meant it doesnt affect the fact that he can close it no matter who holds it.

I can confidently say I think people on both sides can atleast understand the other side. I for one do understand the "rules are rules" argument. I still say we should use judgement and let it stand. I guess the only thing left to do is wait to see what the inventor and regulator of the entire process decides to do about it and we should respect whatever that may be. I think in the end we all want the same thing. A place to showcase and push the boundaries of human hand crushing abilities. Ironmind has done that so far and I for one am grateful.

HAHA.. not a prick at all. Just a discussion. as for the bolded part.. You are right. It was a poor choice of words. I meant it doesnt affect the fact that he can close it no matter who holds it.

I can confidently say I think people on both sides can atleast understand the other side. I for one do understand the "rules are rules" argument. I still say we should use judgement and let it stand. I guess the only thing left to do is wait to see what the inventor and regulator of the entire process decides to do about it and we should respect whatever that may be. I think in the end we all want the same thing. A place to showcase and push the boundaries of human hand crushing abilities. Ironmind has done that so far and I for one am grateful.

And see this is why I asked if putting the CC in yourself was that much harder then someone else doing it. Because, and I know this is going to sound pathetic/rude(no disrespect intended), especially from a guy who isn't half his strength but it took 6 attempts. So it wasn't like he just got up there and slammed it shut the first time. From the video though maybe he just needed to warm up because he killed it there. Granted he had to have been tired from competing a few days prior to the cert so when he is fresh he most likely would have destroyed it first time. So if placing the card in by yourself even adds a little difference, as some of the more experienced guys on here are saying, then maybe he wouldn't have certed THAT DAY.

I want the boundaries to be pushed and records to be broken just like anyone else. It's inspiring to me and makes me want to just quit w/e im doing and hit the weights hard. What I dont like is allowing a few people to slide away with something however trivial that something may be, and others not. That is the only problem I have with it.

Chris, think about it this way: if the rules are allowed to be bent a little, people just wanting their name on the list might as well forget about the idea of training to get strong enough to do it yourself, but just find themselves a best damn "card-bearer" there is, with precise and quick hands and cool nerves to minimize the shaking. Maybe a surgeon and practice it with him? All this to minimize the amount of time and wasted energy before the actual close. It would turn into team effort then. Should the name of the "card-bearer" included on the list as well? I guess you can see the point I'm trying to make. It would allow for a person with less strength to complete the feat opposed to those who screw aroud with the card themselves. The success would not then entirely depend on the person trying the cert.

Edited by Teemu I

Witness is also supposed to give the signal once the card is properly positioned to show the required width. On the video, you can see that from where RS stands, there is no way he could possibly tell if the card fit between the handles or not and therefore was not going to be able to give the signal even if that would have been his intention, which it clearly wasn't.

Hello All,

I have read with much interest the drama that appears to be unfolding regarding this issue.

Maybe we all need to sit down and have a cup of tea and put it into perspective?

Tex Henderson is the first man to officially close the COC3.5 with a credit card set - that is a fact - the attempt started with a credit card width between the handles and at the end of the attempt the handles were touching, that is a fact.

If anyone on this site thinks that they can do it better, then put your "C**k on the Block" and do it, don't talk about it - actions speak louder than words, and words, once said, can never be taken back!

It doesn't matter who else has closed whatever gripper, it's about your own personal struggle to achieve your own goals - so maybe it's time to get back to the very thing that got you onto this site in the first place - training grip.

The past is History,

The future is a mystery,

And the present is a gift - that's why it's called the present.

We should all live our own lives and try to make our own marks - while we can.

Train hard and stay healthy,

Laine

I get what your saying and your a strong guy, but he did not close it under 'official' rules. The rules are there for a reason, no one is doubting his strength. The rules were not followed through, which would have made it harder, so it should not have counted.

Hello All,

I have read with much interest the drama that appears to be unfolding regarding this issue.

Maybe we all need to sit down and have a cup of tea and put it into perspective?

Tex Henderson is the first man to officially close the COC3.5 with a credit card set - that is a fact - the attempt started with a credit card width between the handles and at the end of the attempt the handles were touching, that is a fact.

If anyone on this site thinks that they can do it better, then put your "C**k on the Block" and do it, don't talk about it - actions speak louder than words, and words, once said, can never be taken back!

It doesn't matter who else has closed whatever gripper, it's about your own personal struggle to achieve your own goals - so maybe it's time to get back to the very thing that got you onto this site in the first place - training grip.

The past is History,

The future is a mystery,

And the present is a gift - that's why it's called the present.

We should all live our own lives and try to make our own marks - while we can.

Train hard and stay healthy,

Laine

Some of those replying have done so and will do so under the same conditions and rules which are laid out as is. You, for one, are a member of an organisation (the BHSA) as well as being a GB member both of which have clearly laid out and adhered to rules for the closing of grippers. You'll also have been a member of various associations during your time as both a field athletics athlete and later/during as a highland games athlete. These same organisations will have had rules in place.

The reason IM and Randall have amended those rules over the years, which includes the credit card set, is because Randall and IM felt the meaning of the rules he had before were not being used. So he changed them to avoid misunderstanding. Now it could be argued that the meaning of the rules as they are now WAS adhered to. If the meaning of the CCS was that the handles were wide enough then Randall could say so, make a small amendment in the rules as they are and backdate said rules/meaning of same to include Tex's close. The key word before any change needs making is meaning. Randall makes those rules and so it'll be up to him to either say he's still happy, amend them, or rescind the close and make Tex go again. I think Tex and Richard are able to set it up again more quickly than most.

But... why bother having rules which clearly seem to show that the person closing the gripper does the Credit card sweep? In BHSA events and before you put the block in. Every single time I've seen British (and on all the overseas CCS sets I've personally seen/watched on youtube) it's been the closer that sweeps the card through. If the rules were changed before because Randall felt there was a need then the rules either need changing again or Tex does his attempts again. Tex is one big strong dude and should relish the challenge.

I have absolutely no doubt that Tex would be able to do it again "the right way". He could probably do it all with just one hand! :D

But there has been some mistakes regarding the implementation of the rules.

BTW: Does anyone remember how the rules were when I certed in '04? I didn't place the card between the handles then, there was someone else who did it.

I know back when I did it there was no card at all. I also just gave Tex's youtube attempt video a look - real strong and solid close. Just the rules to worry about.