3.5 Credit Card Set....done!

1stCoC

G-man just put a vid op of this past weeks training on our Sorinex.com forum section .Look in the training articles group and click on "Week at Sorinex" 8/7/08. It, among other things shows Tex closing the 3.5 certification and opens with a one finger and thumb York 50 Blob trial I gave a try last week. RS

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• mobsterone

• StalwartSentinel

• OldGuy

Sorry to say but the first official CCS close on the #3.5 was not done by the rules then:

The free hand may be used to position the gripper in the gripping hand, but the starting position can be no narrower than the width of a credit/ATM card, and the gripster must show the official that he has an acceptable starting position by using his non-gripping hand to slide the end of a credit/ATM card in between the ends of the handles. Once this is done, the official will give the signal to remove the card and begin the attempt.

It says clearly that it must be the gripster himself who places the card between the handles. I assumed the rules were the same to everyone. :blink This does make a difference to the outcome.

I feel sorry for Tex, as he is obviously a good guy with great grip strength. It is a shame if the persons acting as officials are not aware of the rules.

Edited by Teemu I

That was a FAST close, I like fast closes. I've never seen other people discuss this, it seems it doesn't matter to most people, but if we're talking about stylish closes, these fast closes are much cooler than those closes in which you take the gripper to 1/4", you re-possition your thumb and close it to 1/8", repossition your thumb again and finally close the gripper. Sure, you closed with the gripper, with one hand, perfect. But I like it when the gripper is shut with juse one motion like this, it makes it look so dominant.

That was a FAST close, I like fast closes. I've never seen other people discuss this, it seems it doesn't matter to most people, but if we're talking about stylish closes, these fast closes are much cooler than those closes in which you take the gripper to 1/4", you re-possition your thumb and close it to 1/8", repossition your thumb again and finally close the gripper. Sure, you closed with the gripper, with one hand, perfect. But I like it when the gripper is shut with juse one motion like this, it makes it look so dominant.
Nothing wrong with the strength Tex shows there. But it was not done exactly by the rules.

Was your comment directed towards me?

Sorry to say but the first official CCS close on the #3.5 was not done by the rules then:

The free hand may be used to position the gripper in the gripping hand, but the starting position can be no narrower than the width of a credit/ATM card, and the gripster must show the official that he has an acceptable starting position by using his non-gripping hand to slide the end of a credit/ATM card in between the ends of the handles. Once this is done, the official will give the signal to remove the card and begin the attempt.

It says clearly that it must be the gripster himself who places the card between the handles. I assumed the rules were the same to everyone. :blink This does make a difference to the outcome.

I feel sorry for Tex, as he is obviously a good guy with great grip strength. It is a shame if the persons acting as officials are not aware of the rules.

I guess this means "the top mark in the gripper world this year" has been disqualified. I'm with Teemu, obviously Tex is very gifted, but for all the smack talking IM does it will be interesting to see if they actually enforce the rules or follow protocol and just change them.

Whaaat??? :blink:D

I read the same thing. Ironmind needs to clarify this.

fair comment .....rules are rules

I guess this means "the top mark in the gripper world this year" has been disqualified. I'm with Teemu, obviously Tex is very gifted, but for all the smack talking IM does it will be interesting to see if they actually enforce the rules or follow protocol and just change them.

There might be some who think it doesn't make a difference, but having done my share of CCS closes I know it does. The delay it causes to screw around with the card yourself and having to wait the signal, which Tex didn't have to do, takes a lot away from the actual close.

Oh and if some of you wonder, why I care, is just that the rules should be the same to everyone. If some of the certs are allowed to be done like this and some aren't, it's an ugly mess.

Teemu is correct, but don't be surprised if Ironmind accepts the close.

Would be more surprised if they didn't.

There might be some who think it doesn't make a difference, but having done my share of CCS closes I know it does. The delay it causes to screw around with the card yourself and having to wait the signal, which Tex didn't have to do, takes a lot away from the actual close.

Oh and if some of you wonder, why I care, is just that the rules should be the same to everyone. If some of the certs are allowed to be done like this and some aren't, it's an ugly mess.

Very valid point Teemu! I've had a few training sessions where I had someone else insert the credit card and it was actually quite a bit more helpful than doing it myself. I'm going to add that it is shocking the witness didn't know the rules. :blink

did the witness not know the rules ?

From the video I've seen the Witness was allowed to Re-Certify using the same technique.

- Aaron

It seems not. I feel that Ironmind (Strossen) should be contacted, and the rule infringement pointed out.

????

I was just stating that fast closes like that are more stylish, to ME, than slower closes. By jad's reaction I once again convince myself that nobody but me sees this in the gripper videos.. and since I can't close decent grippers yet I must be talking crap! :D

It was not directed towards you! I just liked how fast he closed it, seemed dominant. :whacked

Very valid point Teemu! I've had a few training sessions where I had someone else insert the credit card and it was actually quite a bit more helpful than doing it myself. I'm going to add that it is shocking the witness didn't know the rules. :blink

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

To clarify myself some more, I did not bring this up out of envy. That's not my thing. I don't have anything against Tex and not anything against him beeing the first. I would be glad if IM handled this so that they would give Tex another chance to do it by the rules and then be the first without any question. I would want a clarification for this as I'm about to try the same thing next month and would want to know how I'm supposed to do it. I thought the rules were now clear but obviously that was not the case. Frankly I did expect more from the persons handling the cert.

Edited by Teemu I

It seems not. I feel that Ironmind (Strossen) should be contacted, and the rule infringement pointed out.

I think Sorin will call Strossen himself if he feels it wasn't legit. Remember also that Strossen's opinion of the GripBoard in general is not positive. Although there are many on this board that have personal contact with him and consider him to be a nice guy.

????

I was just stating that fast closes like that are more stylish, to ME, than slower closes. By jad's reaction I once again convince myself that nobody but me sees this in the gripper videos.. and since I can't close decent grippers yet I must be talking crap! :D

It was not directed towards you! I just liked how fast he closed it, seemed dominant. :whacked

Cool then.

From the video I've seen the Witness was allowed to Re-Certify using the same technique.

- Aaron

I almost forgot that. That is also true and makes you wonder why.

If you look at the video of Sorin's cert, after the new #3 is opened, he picks it up and then walks over and places it down with other grippers, chalks up and then picks up a gripper and has someone else hold the credit card during the CCS. Mash monster certs would never be allowed to be so sloppy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QSscc_j72s...hread.php?t=206

I agree 100%. Uniformity must to be enforced. Without it, there is no legitimacy.

Tex contacted Ironmind. I was contacted at a later time to judge. I have been in the past contacted to officiate for numerous contests and several past CoC certifications.Good luck in your efforts to certify but be reminded it is a hard thing to "bring it forth" when subjected to rules. R Sorin
Makes this comment look funny now.

If you look at the video of Sorin's cert, after the new #3 is opened, he picks it up and then walks over and places it down with other grippers, chalks up and then picks up a gripper and has someone else hold the credit card during the CCS. Mash monster certs would never be allowed to be so sloppy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QSscc_j72s...hread.php?t=206

How are these lapses fair to those who follow the rules to the letter?

Congrats Tex for closing it whether it will be accepted after video review or not.

I'd love to have Tex at GGC this year, but since he has not qualified in one of the previous feeder contests, he is not eligible. Next year, love to have him!

I agree with Teemu. Everyone should go with the rules, if not then just like what Teemu said it will be a big ugly mess. And congrats anyway Tex for this strong close :rock