New Ironmind Certification: Coc No. 3.5

pawel r

watch randall pick someone out of nowhere that no one in the grip world heard of to be the first to certify on the 3.5

It's not impossible knowing him. Watch him find some psycho strong powerlifter/strongman at some expo and he'll take all the fame.

that would suck, but I really don't know many strongman or powerlifters who would have the ability to close a 3.5 without specialized grip work. A #3 is much more possible if your just have freakish hand strength in general, but the 3.5 is a big step and imo requires some specialty work.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Teemu I

• twig

• Martin_Arildsson

watch randall pick someone out of nowhere that no one in the grip world heard of to be the first to certify on the 3.5

Mmmm, if that happened, I think we'd all sit around looking something like Paul's avatar.

Nah, I think Teemu will be first.

Mmmm, if that happened, I think we'd all sit around looking something like Paul's avatar.

Speaking of Avatar's, what about the guy on yours? Magnus is certainly capable of it, probably could do it any time any place, and no question that other than Olympic Weightlifters, Randy's strongest bias is towards WSM competitors.

Plus, since he is already a #4 Official Closer, I could see Randy giving him first crack as a courtesy.

That's my prediction...

Speaking of Avatar's, what about the guy on yours? Magnus is certainly capable of it, probably could do it any time any place, and no question that other than Olympic Weightlifters, Randy's strongest bias is towards WSM competitors.

Plus, since he is already a #4 Official Closer, I could see Randy giving him first crack as a courtesy.

That's my prediction...

Ha, very good point, didn't even think of that. And absolutely no offense to anyone else, but with that in mind, he's the one I'd be rooting for :rock Imho, Magnus has the strongest crushing-grip out there, so he's definitely a viable candidate.

Edited by Magnus

Thanks guys for your votes of confidence! But for me it depends on when and where it can be arranged. Personally I would be happy to cert on it anyway, no big deal if I'm not going to be the first. I have to say that I haven't really made up my mind just yet whether I will continue the hard eccentric training I'm doing and build up for the #4 close or tune my training to get well prepared for this certification. It is a hard decision as I just got myself a Secret Weapon and I feel like it is THE training tool to build up the crush to a whole new level. We'll see what happens. :)

I've no idea if I have been given 1st crack or not but Randall has sent me an email giving me the go-ahead to try during my very short stay in Germany (late on the 15th through to very early on the 17th). My witness is Hermann Korte.

:laugh:laugh

I think the gripper is very soon here in Finland and Teemu is ready to do it, when the time is right.

Thanks guys for your votes of confidence! But for me it depends on when and where it can be arranged. Personally I would be happy to cert on it anyway, no big deal if I'm not going to be the first. I have to say that I haven't really made up my mind just yet whether I will continue the hard eccentric training I'm doing and build up for the #4 close or tune my training to get well prepared for this certification. It is a hard decision as I just got myself a Secret Weapon and I feel like it is THE training tool to build up the crush to a whole new level. We'll see what happens. :)

What's a Secret Weapon? Haven't heard of that one yet....

give this search a try ;)

picture:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=4617

Edited by White Scorpion

Geez dude, you need to study the art of gripping more! :D It's Joe Kinney's invention, a machine that simulates a gripper except that it is intended for doing severe negs only. It hurts like hell in a very good way. I'll ditch the ext. handle grippers now. Here's a pic of such machine.

Oh, okay, thanks guys. It's another one of those weighted-gripper-simulator-things, I see :)

Teem, if you're gonna ditch your ext. handle grippers, ship em' over here ;):D

It is a hard decision as I just got myself a Secret Weapon and I feel like it is THE training tool to build up the crush to a whole new level.

Yes, yes, YES!!! Finally, someone who agrees with me on this... I'm a firm believer in the SW - I'm glad you are too! :cool

It is a hard decision as I just got myself a Secret Weapon and I feel like it is THE training tool to build up the crush to a whole new level.

Yes, yes, YES!!! Finally, someone who agrees with me on this... I'm a firm believer in the SW - I'm glad you are too! :cool

John

Ever since seeing a picture of your kinney made secret weapon i new that once i was gonna have a go at the grippers i would get one made myself,you have long sang the praises of that machine plus the various other grip machines you have maybe you could give us some of your training thoughts on these machines especially the secret weapon and how you think it carries over to the grippers etc i would certainly be interested.

John

Ever since seeing a picture of your kinney made secret weapon i new that once i was gonna have a go at the grippers i would get one made myself,you have long sang the praises of that machine plus the various other grip machines you have maybe you could give us some of your training thoughts on these machines especially the secret weapon and how you think it carries over to the grippers etc i would certainly be interested.

I am of course interested to hear more as well.

John, I'm certainly a firm believer in the SW too already after just a couple of workouts. :cool

Edited by Teemu I

I also got an SW lately hopefully it will help me move from 2.5 to my # 3

trying to figure out what poundages I need to use on it think ill get started soon...

IMO, the Secret Weapon is kinda like a "finishing" movement-type grip machine; if you're weak on your close then this is the machine to get and use to train for that. I know in my experience that I was very close to closing the #3 - about a millimeter or two away from shutting it, and training on the SW got me to not only closing it but closing it with authority :cool It is also a machine that is definitely NOT for beginners since there are other grip machines better suited for the rank beginner new to grip training (I suggest the BB grip machine for that).

As well as carry-over effect, that differs from one person to the other -- some will say yes, and others say no. I guess that area will be better revealed as more people use and train with the SW over time.

...trying to figure out what poundages I need to use on it think ill get started soon...

My suggestion: start with at least 50 pounds and then go from there. Anything over 100 pounds and that's getting serious so be careful - this machine ain't playin' if you decide to go heavy! :happy