New Ironmind Certification: Coc No. 3.5

pawel r

Good luck for anyone going for it, I think there are a bunch of guys who are ready. Around 5 comes to mind straight away, atleast.

Whose going to be the first to do it is a matter of logistics, as there are several guys capable of this already. Not saying this to brag but I can do it on most #3.5's, Steve is very strong on these wider sets judging by his performances on the Vulcan, Pat Gansel has a video of the #3.5 CCS and so on.. So it's a different case than it was on the #4. But as I said, it's still a nice goal to shoot for. :)

Edited by Teemu I

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Teemu I

• twig

• Martin_Arildsson

I look forward to seeing one of you guys up on the list first :rock

Maybe they should just assume everyone who can close a 4 can also close a 3.5.

So...

I guess Kinney is first on the 3.5 list?

Maybe they should just assume everyone who can close a 4 can also close a 3.5.

So...

I guess Kinney is first on the 3.5 list?

Oh you're right :D

Kinney closed his 4 with a wider set than IM`s CC set. Kinney did not know what setting a gripper meant

It's hard to say if it was wider or not, but it was definitely very wide, and hydraulic. He surely would've been capable of CCSing a #4 but that's not an issue since he didn't "officially" do it under CCS conditions.

I think this cert is an awesome idea. Persoanlly I've been contemplating this for a while, thinking it would be a great idea, but I always figured Strossen would be too stubborn to use a half step gripper for his certs

Kinney closed his 4 with a wider set than IM`s CC set. Kinney did not know what setting a gripper meant

It's hard to say if it was wider or not, but it was definitely very wide, and hydraulic. He surely would've been capable of CCSing a #4 but that's not an issue since he didn't "officially" do it under CCS conditions.

I think this cert is an awesome idea. Persoanlly I've been contemplating this for a while, thinking it would be a great idea, but I always figured Strossen would be too stubborn to use a half step gripper for his certs

Those weren't the "official" rules at that time. Short of some CCS something stupid like a 230# #4, his close trumps any CCS #4 close in my book.

hmmm. WOW

A fair amount of individuals have hinted around or claimed they can CCS a 3.5. Let's see who will go out and prove it now that there is a cert.

Hey Josh AKA [Clark Kent] how close are you my friend to CCS 3.5 ?

Whose going to be the first to do it is a matter of logistics, as there are several guys capable of this already. Not saying this to brag but I can do it on most #3.5's, Steve is very strong on these wider sets judging by his performances on the Vulcan, Pat Gansel has a video of the #3.5 CCS and so on.. So it's a different case than it was on the #4. But as I said, it's still a nice goal to shoot for. :)

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but...

I'd like to see a "non-American" be the 1st one to cert - why?... because it would make the cert process look truly worldwide/global. :cool

JUST not Steve Gardner :blink ... anybody but Steve :D oh please God, not Steve ;) I'll do anything, just please don't let it be Steve :happy ... if it is, we'll never hear the end of it :laugh ... his fat ego, he'll just keep bragging on it oh God, please please no not Steve... :D:D:tongue

Those weren't the "official" rules at that time. Short of some CCS something stupid like a 230# #4, his close trumps any CCS #4 close in my book.

I know that it does Josh, it's obvious that it does given it was done hydraulically. I was simply saying it wouldn't fit under IM rules for NOW and thus he couldn't be the first on the 3.5 list like someone mentioned earlier.

I'm glad Ironmind did this - another worthy goal for elite grip guys to shoot for. Several of you monsters out there should be able to pull this off. :rock I wonder if any of the #4 closers will go for it since the CCS rule is in effect (not Kinney but maybe the rest)?

I know dave morton and tommy heslep could mash these things out...Are they looking for people not certed on the #4?

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but...

I'd like to see a "non-American" be the 1st one to cert - why?... because it would make the cert process look truly worldwide/global. :cool

JUST not Steve Gardner :blink ... anybody but Steve :D oh please God, not Steve ;) I'll do anything, just please don't let it be Steve :happy ... if it is, we'll never hear the end of it :laugh ... his fat ego, he'll just keep bragging on it oh God, please please no not Steve... :D:D:tongue

The one man who'd brag more than John would ha ha (until they nail the lid on my coffin). Watch me be the second to actually make some money from closing a gripper if I do it.

But it has also been said he's now passed it (injured or ill).

Ok time to speculate who will be the first, the race is on.

My bet is big tex, bring it home America! :rock

Also being the first is a big deal, but its a shame it can be only one since everyone who can do it now is at the top of the hill right now for grip.

Edited by shizen

Actually it'll be who can arrange it first with the blessing of IM and Randall. Not necessarily who is strong enough right now.

Who do most people think is capable of a #3.5 cert right now? I've seen many people close grippers that are #3.5 and higher on youtube but that's not to say that any of these people can CCS it.

Whoever goes for it, GOOD LUCK :rock

I will cert when they have one for a 4.5 or 5. :laugh:blink HAHAHA

Yeah me too, why waste time on easy #3.5 and #4 certs...too easy :D:blink

I will cert when they have one for a 4.5 or 5. :laugh:blink HAHAHA

Yeah me too, why waste time on easy #3.5 and #4 certs...too easy :D:blink

True!

I think I'll jump the sissy 3.5 and 4! :cool

This is really cool. Not that I am anywhere close to ready. But for those who can. :bow

Actually it'll be who can arrange it first with the blessing of IM and Randall. Not necessarily who is strong enough right now.
Exactly so.

Who do most people think is capable of a #3.5 cert right now? I've seen many people close grippers that are #3.5 and higher on youtube but that's not to say that any of these people can CCS it.

Whoever goes for it, GOOD LUCK :rock

There are a few capable of it right now and I'll inlude myself to those. That's why I contacted Strossen right away. ;)

This 182 lbs Elite for example, feels harder than most #3.5's I've closed and this was 4 months ago. I also came within a couple of mm from CCS on the 190 lbs #3.5. New #3.5 can be anything between 170-190 lbs, but most likely around 180 lbs. So it is well within reach. Of course there's a chance of failure but so what.