Rgc Ratings

MalachiMcMullen

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I agree with this. There's no specific rating that a certain gripper "should" have. Average rating will change over time when more and more ratings are being done.

Exactly what both Matt and FoF have said here. It's not only useless but pointless. You're basing a rating system on the average value of another rating system. When more grippers are rated that average value can go up or down. So in theory your 3.10 gripper could be a 2.96 gripper in 6 months time.

If you don't re-evaluate and shift the ratings based upon the most up-to-date averages then your rating system is about as relevant as the manufacturers. Because your 3.00 is now no longer the average #3.

If you do shift/recalculate it against the changing averages then any previous recordings using the rating system are invalid unless you can go back and workout the difference, say from a post about a 2.3 gripper rated 2 years ago, then convert it to the most recent "values". 

Either way seems pretty flawed to me. 

• Like 2

Ratings are imperfect to start, so it’s like adding more fudge to fudge brownies. Suddenly they’re not good at all. Grandma won the county fair six times with the original recipe. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cannon said:

Ratings are imperfect to start, so it’s like adding more fudge to fudge brownies. Suddenly they’re not good at all. Grandma won the county fair six times with the original recipe. 

True, handle spread, handle size and knurling makes huge difference, especially on hard grippers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

True, handle spread, handle size and knurling makes huge difference, especially on hard grippers.

Yes, I agree with you.

I was just wondering how the rating is calculated since it's been widely used by some people side by side with regular results. But it clearly have some flaws and maybe it should be forgotten.

I'm too lazy to use hanging weight gripper calibrating so that's why I want to make a machine that does the same job easier. Most certainly I will stay loyal to the original method and measure exactly with same variables. With having more sensors used, it simply gives some extra information during the measurement. The basic idea is still to measure the very same rgc numbers, only faster and with less possibility for alteration on result.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JJM said:

Yes, I agree with you.

I was just wondering how the rating is calculated since it's been widely used by some people side by side with regular results. But it clearly have some flaws and maybe it should be forgotten.

I'm too lazy to use hanging weight gripper calibrating so that's why I want to make a machine that does the same job easier. Most certainly I will stay loyal to the original method and measure exactly with same variables. With having more sensors used, it simply gives some extra information during the measurement. The basic idea is still to measure the very same rgc numbers, only faster and with less possibility for alteration on result.

I do like the idea of being able to see the different curves in terms of sweep difficulty across the brands, I think that would be really interesting. 

Edited by Kaesar83
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 12:24 PM, Maiche 25 said:

I am the proud owner of this grip genie 5 with RGC 126, I closed it CCS yesterday (my record after 7 months of grip training). Really incredible it looks like a very hard heavy grip 250 and certainly not a gripper that could potentially be harder than a coc 3 ... I'm still mad at not being able to buy the 136.😟

Grip Genies are interesting grippers. The rgc 153 GG5 I purchased off CPW feels way harder and more awkward than my 152 #3. The spring and construction of these grippers give an extra challenge, IMO. 

Edited by ChimpGrip
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2021 at 5:06 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Grip Genies are interesting grippers. The rgc 153 GG5 I purchased off CPW feels way harder and more awkward than my 152 #3. The spring and construction of these grippers give an extra challenge, IMO. 

I believe Grip Genies also have narrower handles, which means that the final closing point requires to have the hand shut a little further than CoCs. Before I owned my first CoC Gripper I used some much cheaper grippers from amazon (didn't know back then that grip sport would be such a big part of my life :laugh), which also had handles comparable in size to Grip Genies. And let me tell you, they felt extremely hard to close (especially the final bit). Later, when I already had set up my accurate RGC measurement station, it turned out that the heaviest of the bunch was around 111 lbs, which surprised me, since to me it felt like a bridge gripper between my CoC#2 (109lbs) and CoC#2.5 (127 lbs). 

I think that the handle diameter difference must have played the most significant role in our perception of those grippers. :D

• Like 1

May also depend on hand size.  I find my grip genies (146 and 155) noticeably EASIER than similar-rated COC 3s - but I have an average to small hand (7.5).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexander Koss said:

I believe Grip Genies also have narrower handles, which means that the final closing point requires to have the hand shut a little further than CoCs. Before I owned my first CoC Gripper I used some much cheaper grippers from amazon (didn't know back then that grip sport would be such a big part of my life :laugh), which also had handles comparable in size to Grip Genies. And let me tell you, they felt extremely hard to close (especially the final bit). Later, when I already had set up my accurate RGC measurement station, it turned out that the heaviest of the bunch was around 111 lbs, which surprised me, since to me it felt like a bridge gripper between my CoC#2 (109lbs) and CoC#2.5 (127 lbs). 

I think that the handle diameter difference must have played the most significant role in our perception of those grippers. :D

This grip genie gripper has a wider spread than any of my other GG’s and is as wide as some of my GHP 7’s. Further, there’s space between the spring coils. I believe this spring is the backwards/left-handed one, which I believe has since been corrected in their production? Diagonally, the handles are pretty far apart. It’s a freak gripper. 

The sweep harder than my 160 rgc #3 and my hands are small (7.25”). 

It is quite a bit easier to close and hold on to during the closing sweep than my 155 Grip Genie 5.

12 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

This grip genie gripper has a wider spread than any of my other GG’s and is as wide as some of my GHP 7’s. Further, there’s space between the spring coils. I believe this spring is the backwards/left-handed one, which I believe has since been corrected in their production? Diagonally, the handles are pretty far apart. It’s a freak gripper. 

The sweep harder than my 160 rgc #3 and my hands are small (7.25”). 

Yeah some of their V1 grippers were reverse wound before they switched manufacturers. Nice ones to have though seeing as the only others I'm aware of are the left-turns. 

Edited by Kaesar83
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been quiet in this thread so I'll add my tiny collection of rated grippers....

GHP 5-122(andrew dube rated)

COC 2.5-132(andrew dube rated)

GHP 6-134(andrew dube rated)

COC 3-147(cpw)

Not sure how closely Andrew's ratings stack up to Matt's but I'd guess they're similar? 

Edited by Bigfoot Grip
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hello all my grip and strength enthusiasts.

Big Shel here. 

Have a growing gripping collection that consists of nearly all the cocs and a Iron Grip Adjustable GD90

Heres my collection of  Rated Grippers

My mighty GHP#8( I can now tns this monster beyond parallel with my right and near the same on the left :) Come along way my brothers in strength) RGC 179 (CPW rated)

HG#350  RGC 172 (CPW)

COC#4 RGC 205(CPW)

• Like 5

On 7/16/2021 at 1:43 AM, Bigfoot Grip said:

It's been quiet in this thread so I'll add my tiny collection of rated grippers....

GHP 5-122(andrew dube rated)

COC 2.5-134(andrew dube rated)

GHP 6-136(andrew dube rated)

COC 3-147(cpw)

Not sure how closely Andrew's ratings stack up to Matt's but I'd guess they're similar? 

Heybigfoot grip.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 12:43 AM, Bigfoot Grip said:

I actually don't know. I don't recall that I have rated any grippers after Andrew. Possibly he has cross-rated stuff from CPW? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

I actually don't know. I don't recall that I have rated any grippers after Andrew. Possibly he has cross-rated stuff from CPW? 

I'd be interested to know also if Andrew has rated your grippers. 

Against better judgement I decided to just play around with setting the grippers to about parallel. To me it feels as though the ratings are near identical. I set my GHP 6(134 dube) vs Iron Fe(135 CPW) and to me it felt like about a 1lb difference. My GHP 7(143 CPW) felt about 8lbs heavier than my GHP 6 if I had to guess, so close to the 9lb spread between Dube ratings and yours. My GHP 5 being rated so high is strange but the more I think about it when I bought a bunch of grippers from Grip n Bend Canada many of the grippers were very tough! My CoC T feels way heavier than the usual ratings. Even my CoC 2 feels above average in difficulty. I bought many of these several years ago so maybe it was due to different batches at the time? 

I realize though that closing the gripper would give a much more accurate idea as to the difference(if any) between both of your systems & methods. I've reached the GHP 6 but still have to give the Iron Fe a go and use that maybe in tandem with the RB adjustable to bridge the gap to the GHP 7. 

Edited by Bigfoot Grip
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I realize though that closing the gripper would give a much more accurate idea as to the difference(if any) between both of your systems & methods.

I’m sticking to my old mantra. You have to rate a gripper to know what it rates. :) 

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hello grip and strength brothers and everyone.

Anyone here know what the average and also what's the top Rgc force for the mm9 and mm 10? 

I just saw on gripmanias youtube channel that David Shamey just became the first to certify on the mash monster #9😱😎💪. Didnt see any rgc rating on it though. Blessings to everyone.

4 minutes ago, ShelluvstheMostHigh said:

Hello grip and strength brothers and everyone.

Anyone here know what the average and also what's the top Rgc force for the mm9 and mm 10? 

I just saw on gripmanias youtube channel that David Shamey just became the first to certify on the mash monster #9😱😎💪. Didnt see any rgc rating on it though. Blessings to everyone.

They are not allowed to be rated. So nobody knows. I believe David said the #9 was harder than 97 kg and Cannon estimated the #10 to be between 230-240 lbs.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

They are not allowed to be rated. So nobody knows. I believe David said the #9 was harder than 97 kg and Cannon estimated the #10 to be between 230-240 lbs.

Cool thank you fistsof fury brother. Wow so far I'm trying to tns close a ghp#8 (rgc 179)and my two CoC 3.5s. And I can get my coc#4 rgc rated 205lbs near parallel using my other hand as assist and hold it there at pretty much parallel with  my right hand only  and do the same thing and then hold it with my  I left( I do negs sets with the #4 for 20-30 secs btw). So im getting stronger.

Are you training on heavy grippers as well fists of.fury? I have a 3 that I'm less than inch from no set closing and feels around rgc 150s 

🗡

Edited by ShelluvstheMostHigh

54 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Seems the ghp#10 is still the king of the grippers to get closed. Saw Grippermania rgc rate one at 295lbs. And shoot there might be a ghp10 stronger than that somewhere. Cpw top one hit 270s I believe. Wow

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 1:34 PM, mcalpine1986 said:

I wasnt aware tbh..i have no idea about chest crushing grippers it just sounds damn hard 😂

Yeah muscles conditioned from.steel bending really help chest crushes. But yep crushing grippers with your grip and hand strength , especially the no set way is what really gets me going and motivated. Seems the atom is up there with the ghp 10. 305#😱😱!

On 1/30/2021 at 9:21 AM, Fist of Fury said:

I suck at math but it should be easy to calculate if you know the difference. Between the numbers. Like if #4 is 210 and #3 is 150. That means the difference is 60. Then if you rate a gripper at 180 you're right in between that, which makes it 3.5.

Or if you rate a gripper at 175 it will be 25 / 60 =  3.416. Since it's 25 more than 150. That seems to make sense to me but I don't know.

Heres my little collection so far Fists of Fury and everyone:

Coc #4

2 Coc 3.5s

Coc 3.0

Coc 2.5

Coc 2.0

Coc 1.5

Coc 0.5

Coc Trainer

Camry 101

Irongrip GD90

Updated Rated Grippers:

HG 350  RGC 172-CPW

Coc 3# Filed RGC 157--CPW

GHP#8  RGC- 179-CPW( One of their strongest rated)

Coc# 4 RGC 205 lbs-CPW

Editing post
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Current newbie collection. Going to get my CoCs rated by CPW soon.

CoC Guide
CoC Sport
CoC Trainer
CoC 0.5
CoC 1
CoC 1.5
CoC 2
CoC 2.5
CoC 3
CoC 3.5
CPW Standard (W) Tungsten - 193 RGC (CPW)
CoC 4
GHP 10 - 260 RGC (CPW)

Novelty/Unratable:
CPW Standard (Ub) Unobtainium (serial #39)

This list will likely expand exponentially in the near future. I'm always on the lookout for used and rare grippers (especially anything Tetting or Rb), if anyone is looking to sell.

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jared P said:

Current newbie collection. Going to get my CoCs rated by CPW soon.

CoC Guide
CoC Sport
CoC Trainer
CoC 0.5
CoC 1
CoC 1.5
CoC 2
CoC 2.5
CoC 3
CoC 3.5
CPW Standard (W) Tungsten - 193 RGC (CPW)
CoC 4
GHP 10 - 260 RGC (CPW)

Novelty/Unratable:
CPW Standard (Ub) Unobtainium (serial #39)

This list will likely expand exponentially in the near future. I'm always on the lookout for used and rare grippers (especially anything Tetting or Rb), if anyone is looking to sell.

Thats a strong GHP 10. I think you beat me to that one. I rem I was trying to get one and it was sold out at CPW LOL.. Hah hah :). How goes it Jared.  :)

• Like 1