Rgc Ratings

MalachiMcMullen

Back on topic...I have a new #3 that I bought awhile back from cannon. TNS'ed it right out of the package...I suspect it's around 145. Looking at it, the spring appears a bit odd. Very distinct non dogleg side...

Lucky draw for the WR attempts!

I want to cert the #3 on one of those! Or do the bullet!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

how do you know rating on grippers ?

In kilkkinens list there is pre-set values for average Captains of Crush grippers. Example Rating 1.00 is 37,5kg/82,67lbs and rating 2.00 is 50kg/110,23lbs. When you have a gripper that is measured to be 40kg, it's rating is ( 40-37,5) / (50-37,5) + 1 = 2,5/12,5 + 1 = 1,20. So rating is based on these pre-set values and their ratio to measured gripper. These pre-set values are not the exact averages of measurements anymore as it was long time ago when these values were set and there was a lot fewer calibrations made. But they are still quite close to exact averages.

• 2 weeks later...

November 20, I saw on the Lee Hayward Website sale of HG Grippers. In summary I replied that I have several HG Grippers (as well as several CofC grippers) and I feel that the HG grippers are high quality, but the the big problem that I have with both HG and CofC grippers is their method of advertising. The HG 100 is not 100 lb. but 48 lb. The HG 150 is not 150 lb. but 65 lb. The HG 200 is not 200 Lb. but 94 lb., etc. (The advertised rating of the CofC is just as bad) . (I said go to WWW.grippersuperstore.com, look at RGC Ratings, type in Manufacturer, then Gripper Model, for correct rating - however this part was edited out of my comments)

Lee Hayward's reply was: "The tension of a spring depends on where you measure it. The heavy grips tension is measured mid handle. But if you were to measure the tension at the end of the handle it would be lower due to leverage. The longer the lever the easier it is to close. If you could extend the handles even longer again there would be less tension."

Question: Should the tension be measured at mid handle, or at the end of the handle?

The published manufacturer ratings are fine. In HGs case, they basically picked names. Sure they probably came up with the pulished numbers somehow, but to include them in the name of the gripper is unique. Instead of HG200 they could have called it the "Bezerker" or whatever.

There is no "should", only "can". That's not meant to sound like a Yoda quote. I'm just saying that any method has lots of flaws, including (and maybe especially) RGC ratings. There isn't really a way it "should" be done.

The end of the handle is nice becuase, as pointed out, the poundage is lower. When you're rating hundreds of grippers every year, this matters. Also, all grippers have ends of handles. It's a very repeatable and consistent way to place the strap.

how do you know rating on grippers ?

In kilkkinens list there is pre-set values for average Captains of Crush grippers. Example Rating 1.00 is 37,5kg/82,67lbs and rating 2.00 is 50kg/110,23lbs. When you have a gripper that is measured to be 40kg, it's rating is ( 40-37,5) / (50-37,5) + 1 = 2,5/12,5 + 1 = 1,20. So rating is based on these pre-set values and their ratio to measured gripper. These pre-set values are not the exact averages of measurements anymore as it was long time ago when these values were set and there was a lot fewer calibrations made. But they are still quite close to exact averages.

I would like to note that this conversion is unnecessary and undesireable. It's builds in an arbitrary number to the calculation. The actual rating is the more relevant and useful information. For the most part, this conversion has been abandoned.

November 20, I saw on the Lee Hayward Website sale of HG Grippers. In summary I replied that I have several HG Grippers (as well as several CofC grippers) and I feel that the HG grippers are high quality, but the the big problem that I have with both HG and CofC grippers is their method of advertising. The HG 100 is not 100 lb. but 48 lb. The HG 150 is not 150 lb. but 65 lb. The HG 200 is not 200 Lb. but 94 lb., etc. (The advertised rating of the CofC is just as bad) . (I said go to WWW.grippersuperstore.com, look at RGC Ratings, type in Manufacturer, then Gripper Model, for correct rating - however this part was edited out of my comments)

Lee Hayward's reply was: "The tension of a spring depends on where you measure it. The heavy grips tension is measured mid handle. But if you were to measure the tension at the end of the handle it would be lower due to leverage. The longer the lever the easier it is to close. If you could extend the handles even longer again there would be less tension."

Question: Should the tension be measured at mid handle, or at the end of the handle?

No disrespect to Lee, but he is involved in grippers in a marketing sense, not in the sport of Grip.

What we are doing here is fine and the best way to do it for our purposes.

The numbers do indeed cause confusion, but it only takes a few minutes to explain this confusion away.

COC Trainer, Double Stamp #'s, No COC = 56.6 lbs.

COC #1, Double Stamp #'s, No COC = 82.2 lbs.

COC #1 = 76.4 lbs.

Single Stamp #2 = 116.8 lbs.

BB Master (2.875" handle spread) = 117.4 lbs. Note: Hardest Master gripper I've ever felt!

COC 2.5 = 123.4 lbs.

BB Grand Master Adjustable w/ Filed handle for BTR = 137.2 lbs. @ 5/16" mounting depth

Notes: All grippers except BB Master (seasoned 20 chest crushes) were well seasoned from prior use. All gripper springs were oiled prior to rating. All grippers were rated 3 times for accuracy. No allowance for residual memory (RM).

• Like 1

I knew that Master would be tough, Joe. The only harder one I know of is a 123# Master that I've got. I've always meant to check if it's a mistakenly stamped SM.

I knew that Master would be tough, Joe. The only harder one I know of is a 123# Master that I've got. I've always meant to check if it's a mistakenly stamped SM.

Not only is it tough but it's a BEAUTIFUL gripper!

Thanks again Matt!

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I should put mine here, now that I have rated grippers :)

Rated by Matt Cannon:

Tetting Super Master: 117 lbs.

Tetting Grand Master : 148 lbs.

Joe, looks like my Super Master and your Master came out about the same!

I have the HG300 and 350, and they seem abnormally hard - I am closer to closing the GHP 8 than the 350, and the 300 is just as hard as my 3 - with a much more narrow spread. I am looking to have my collection calibrated and I'm very curious to see how these HGs stack up to some of the other numbers around here.

• 2 weeks later...

#3 -- 150 lbs

#3 -- 154.57 lbs

#3 -- 154.78 lbs

MM1 dup -- 151 lbs

MM2 dup -- 157 lbs

RB210 -- 132.82 lbs

RB240 -- 144.41 lbs

BBE (narrow) -- 145.70 lbs

#4 -- 219.76 lbs

all rated by Matt Canon

• 2 weeks later...

Mine are rated by Chris Rice

Hard 2 - 114.5

Filed HG 300 - 136

weak 3 - 139
cert 3 - 143.14

Hard 3 - 149

Cut GM – 156

GHP 7 - 157.04

RB 330N – 165

weak BBEE - 165.8

Cut BBE – 168

Hard BBE – 175.2

Filed 3.5 - 177.29
GHP 8 - 177.29

RB 365N – 182

SE - 192.29

Super Elite - 194.05
Single Stamp 4 - 196.5

RB 400N - 210

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My current gripper collection

Rated by Chris Rice

All grippers cleaned, oiled, and seasoned prior to calibration:

GHP 5 - 107.5

COC 2 - 108.5

Tetting Super Master - 122.7

COC 2.5 - 125.2

HG300 - 149

COC 3 - 149

GHP 7 - 154

RB300N - 156.5

Tetting Elite - 163* (rated by Matt Cannon)

GHP 8 - 178

COC 3.5 - 184.6

HG350 - 186.75

COC 4 - 215.75

• Like 1

Harri Mannelas grippers calibrated

- Harri Mannela IM #3 ( 2003/05 ) / 72.5kg / 160.05lbs / rating = 3.17
- Harri Mannela IM #4 ( 2003/05 ) 98.5kg / 217.14 / rating = 4.14

Total 863 + 16 Vulcania

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...