Rgc Ratings

MalachiMcMullen

I agree that your method is really cool and innovative. Seems like with any necessary tweaking, you could get some really solid consistency using a device like that.

I'd love to see some already rated grippers be rated on your device to see how close it is. Have you done any other grippers? Given the sheer number of examples with CoC grippers or the apparent consistency of GHP grippers, we may be able to get a better idea of how accurate your system is.

Acorn has a very similar device. He uses a long bar to leverage the scale down. Last I heard he was doing some tweaking on it.

I have done 3 king kongs :getlost: . all under 140. but the spread was very narrow aprox. 2.3"

yours could be 149. If you have a wider spread, say 2.5" then that would hint at a harder king kong.

I have rated all my Gripper with this set up.

Manus King Kong > 68kg (done with booth hands tns)

#3 > 67,5kg (done with booth hands re tns / li ccs)

#3,5 > 86,3 (done with re deep set)

#4 > 101,2kg (..........no way )

RB260N > 63,5kg (done with booth hands tns)

RB330N > 74kg (done with booth hands re ccs / li mms)

RB360N > 83,7kg (done with re mms)

RB300 > 85kg (done with re mms)

RB330 > 88,6kg (done with re very deep set)

M6 replica > 89kg (.....no 1mm open)

Ghp7 > 67,3kg (done with booth hands re tns / li ccs)

Ghp8 > 78kg (done with re Ghp block set)

I have rated the #3 with an RGC setup to 68,2kg a little more!

I think the big point ist that the normal weights are vary a little, and the scales is calibrated??

I will ameliorate my set up a little, to get faster on the rating procedere.

Hannes

Acorn has a very similar device. He uses a long bar to leverage the scale down. Last I heard he was doing some tweaking on it.

I have done 3 king kongs :getlost: . all under 140. but the spread was very narrow aprox. 2.3"

yours could be 149. If you have a wider spread, say 2.5" then that would hint at a harder king kong.

I have rated all my Gripper with this set up.

Manus King Kong > 68kg (done with booth hands tns)

#3 > 67,5kg (done with booth hands re tns / li ccs)

#3,5 > 86,3 (done with re deep set)

#4 > 101,2kg (..........no way )

RB260N > 63,5kg (done with booth hands tns)

RB330N > 74kg (done with booth hands re ccs / li mms)

RB360N > 83,7kg (done with re mms)

RB300 > 85kg (done with re mms)

RB330 > 88,6kg (done with re very deep set)

M6 replica > 89kg (.....no 1mm open)

Ghp7 > 67,3kg (done with booth hands re tns / li ccs)

Ghp8 > 78kg (done with re Ghp block set)

I have rated the #3 with an RGC setup to 68,2kg a little more!

I think the big point ist that the normal weights are vary a little, and the scales is calibrated??

I will ameliorate my set up a little, to get faster on the rating procedere.

Hannes

I believe all the guys taking the RGC method seriously have weighed their plates on a certified scale so the exact weight is known.

A 190# 3.5 would be just about the hardest 3.5 possible I think. Usually "hard" ones are in the low 180s. That rating seems unlikely? Keep posting your stuff! I'm interested in your set up.

Matt,

I was always wondering how hard this #3,5 is!

I have compered my rating numbers, with the numbers that post on Grippersuprrstore.

Seems i have a real badass #3,5!!

Yes thats the point why my rating does not compair with my RGC attempt, because my weights are not scaled.

I have a few ideas to make my rating setup, but this will take a few days.

I used Aaron's new setup the last time I was down in Tucson to RGC a few new grippers (well new to me, they're used). I wasn't looking for high precision/accuracy, just to ballpark them. But there were a few potential sources of error if one is not careful.

1.) For a system that is hanging vertical, it's important to make sure one tares the gauge completely unloaded (i.e. you can't have the handle or anything putting any sort of pressure on the hook of the gauge).

2.) The gauge is very sensitive, so when you're trying to close it that last split millimeter, and catch the poundage number at the same time, it can be a bit tricky. In that case, it's best to have one person eye the gripper gap, and another read the numbers. I didn't bother, cuz as I said I was looking for numbers within a few pounds.

Like any apparatus, there will always be refinements to the operating procedure.

Aaron's setup is nice, and it's really fast to use. You don't spend any time loading plates. It's easy to quickly adjust the clamp angle of the gripper, if you misjudged the amount of rotation in the close. With the lever, it's not much effort at all to close the gripper either. So I think there is an added safety benefit to it.

If one was really looking for precision, it might be possible to hook the lever to a floor cable, and then slowly dial the last millimeter down with a precision thumb screw of some sort with a high tpi count.

I like this guys. Keep up this kind of discussion! I believe my ratings get better with every single gripper. I view it as an art and am always studying anything that can be improved. If you're always honing your process, and sharing the info, then all the ratings can only get better.

I also like to see the innovative set ups. I've been brainstorming for a while about a vertical vice that could push a gripper shut on a digital scale. Lots of pros and cons, and I have not made a prototype yet, but want too.

I also still believe the best way might be math. If 6-8 accurate measurements are taken and plugged into a programmed spreadsheet with the proper math calculations, I believe a "blueprint" for the gripper could be produced that takes into account variables that RGC type methods cannot capture. I gotta find a physics class or something that needs a summer project. Ha! Lord knows I don't understand the necessary mathematics.

Matt - are you talking about characterizing the sweep force curve?

Also - if you really wanted to blow Randall's mind, you guys could setup a Gauge R&R to characterize the variability in the operator/equipment, gripper brand, gripper model, etc. To do this, one would get a bunch of grippers (say 30 or 40 or so, or even more), make them 'anonymous' by hiding the marks on them (not easily done), and provide the population of 'operators' a randomized list of the order to measure the grippers. Then the grippers are shipped to each person, they measure the grippers, then send them on to the next person. All the data is then collected (can't be shared between the people), and analyzed to establish a pareto of the sources of variation.

Matt - are you talking about characterizing the sweep force curve?

Well, I recognize all those words, but don't know what you mean (in other words that's over my head). :)

What I mean is that I would want to work with a very math/physics savvy person and explain to them what I'm trying to accomplish, and maybe give them the measurements for a dozen grippers and see what they can devise. See if they can program something that spits out a meaningful "rating" that approximates how the gripper might feel in the hand (based on force curves, or whatever). Like if one of the grippers was narrow and another had a very deep mount but they were identical otherwise, could they be sorted properly based on the measurements?

Matt, it's on my to do list to one of these days get around to hacking the load cell setup I got to allow for transmitting force values as well as handle position values via bluetooth to the computer for just such a thing. Just gotta clear out some other projects first.

- Aaron

Matt, it's on my to do list to one of these days get around to hacking the load cell setup I got to allow for transmitting force values as well as handle position values via bluetooth to the computer for just such a thing. Just gotta clear out some other projects first.

- Aaron

See, that sounds totally awesome.

Juha Harjus GHP5 and GHP9 calibrated

- Heimopäällikkö GHP5 / 49.5kg / 109.26lbs / rating = 1.97

- Heimopäällikkö GHP9 / 95 kg / 209.71 lbs / rating = 4.01

Total 849 gripper + 16 Vulcan. Uptaded 29.06.2012

Uptaded list here:

http://p2.foorumi.info/rautakoura/viewtopic.php?p=17#17

Edited by kilkkinen

Epana Grip Contest vol3. (30.6.2012) Silver Bullet Hold IM#3 calibrated.

- Heimopäällikkö Epana grip contest vol3. / IM #3 / 68kg / 150.11 lbs / rating = 3.00

• 3 weeks later...

Surmis grippers calibrated

- surmis IM #1 old / 35.5kg / 77.26 lbs / rating = 0.76

- surmis IM #2 / 45.5kg / 100.4 lbs / rating = 1.64

- surmis IM #2.5 / 53.5 kg / 118.10 lbs / rating = 2.20

- surmis IM #3 / 64 kg / 141.3 lbs / rating = 2.78

Total 854 gripper + 16 Vulcan. Uptaded 23.07.2012

matti heiskanen

Uptaded list here:

http://p2.foorumi.info/rautakoura/viewtopic.php?p=17#17

Edited by kilkkinen

Matti, another new #3 went 141 straight out of the package? :huh: Was the gripper used at all or oiled prior to rating? I just have never seen one of these (ever).

Maybe it's time for me to sign up for certification :)

• Like 1

It's fairly new, only used for negatives couple times. I don't know if Matti oiled it prior to rating.

Thanks for the info! Does it feel that easy in the hand? Like barely harder than a 2.5?

I'm weak as hell so no, it doesn't feel easy for me atleast. Maybe Matti can share his opinion on this if he tried it. That #2,5 feels much easier for me.

Matti, another new #3 went 141 straight out of the package? :huh: Was the gripper used at all or oiled prior to rating? I just have never seen one of these (ever).

Maybe it's time for me to sign up for certification :)

Here is couple of rated IM#3 grippers which weren´t so nice cert grippers!

- kilkkinen IM#3_2005 / 76kg / 167,7lbs / rating = 3.30

Teme IM#3 / 76 kg / 167,78lbs / rating = 3,30

:grin:

No kidding Juha. :flame

Matti´s hard and friction IM#3 ( - kilkkinen IM#3_2005 / 76kg / 167,7lbs / rating = 3.30) feels like you squeezed hard Elite gripper. I never forget my first meeting with this sick bastard! :sick:

• 4 weeks later...

I have 6 grippers that just came in from Cannon PowerWorks.

GHP5 -110lb

GHP6 -134lb

GHP7 -153lb

GHP8 -174lb

IM #3 -149lb

Manus King Kong -130lb

Thanks Matt!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Calibrated Alexey "The Tank" Tyukalovin WR Silver Bullet Timehold #3, Yvonne WR Attempt Silver Bullet Timehold #2

- Alexey "The Tank" Tyukalov WR Silver Bullet #3 / 65kg / 143.5lbs / 2.84

- Yvonne Häkkinen WR Attempt Silver Bullet #2 / 47kg / 103.6lbs / 1.76

- Heimopäällikkö IM#2.5 / 54.5kg / 120.3lbs / Rating = 2.25

- Heimopäällikkö IM#2.5 / 57kg / 125.82lbs / rating = 2.40

- Heimopäällikkö BBE2 / 71.5kg / 157.83 / Rating = 3.13

Total 861 + 16 Vulcans

• Like 1