Rgc Ratings

MalachiMcMullen

11 hours ago, yidmaster said:

Yeah, sounds a little strange. From what I understand, oiling does make a difference, but if anything it shouldn't add the the RGC. Plus, if I'm not mistaken CPW oils gripper springs before they're rated too. Either way, the guy to ask would probably be @Cannon

Yeah if the spring dried out, the rating could go up. 

6 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Sorry I don't understand you question.

I've only trained with rated grippers in that range. All from CPW. Only exception being the #2.5 that Griparn has now.

When you squeezed them, did they feel like Cannon's rating, or your own rating?

7 hours ago, yidmaster said:

When you squeezed them, did they feel like Cannon's rating, or your own rating?

How could I tell, I'm not a robot :D 

But yes Cannon's rating makes more sense, they are more consistent.

Some updates:

Re-rated the #2,5 and SM after some oiling of the spring.

#2,5 131 

SM 135

Did also did some GHPs:

#4    97 

#5    115 

#6    133 

Lesson learned is to oil the spring beforehand.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Bought some used Heavy Grips and just got them rated from Cannon.

Heavy Grips 200 - RGC 80

Heavy Grips 250 - RGC 122

Heavy Grips 300 - RGC 153

Heavy Grips 350 - RGC 174

I have a CoC #1 that is rated 81 and the Heavy Grip 200 rated 80 feels a lot heavier.  I guess their springs are different or the sweep of the close is harder at a different area?

• 3 months later...

These are my ratings in pounds so far:

Guide: 35,17

Sport: 47,5

Trainer: 63,71

#0,5: 76,38

#1: 87,63

#1,5: 94,13

#2: 114,9

#2,5: 136,6

#3 (light) : 157,9 (rated 145 by Gripnbend) 

#3 (hard) : 173 (rated 152 by Cannon Powerworks) 

CPW 240: 147,2 ( rated 135 by Cannon Powerworks) 

Ghp6: 143,8 (rated 130 by Cannon Powerworks) 

Ghp7: 161,3 ( rated 143 by Cannon Powerworks) 

Hg250: 112,5

Hg300: 146,9

Hg350: 191,9

Well, my numbers are still not close to cannon ones. I am still developing my system, but I hope I get more accuracy soon. In the meantime at least I can know their relative positions. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:14 PM, pancho_grip_lift said:

These are my ratings in pounds so far:

#3 (light) : 157,9 (rated 145 by Gripnbend) 

#3 (hard) : 173 (rated 152 by Cannon Powerworks) 

CPW 240: 147,2 ( rated 135 by Cannon Powerworks) 

Ghp6: 143,8 (rated 130 by Cannon Powerworks) 

Ghp7: 161,3 ( rated 143 by Cannon Powerworks) 

Well, my numbers are still not close to cannon ones. I am still developing my system, but I hope I get more accuracy soon. In the meantime at least I can know their relative positions. 

Those are some huge variances.  It's interesting (and encouraging) that you had a similar discrepancy with Gripnbend.  If you PM me about your process, my guess is we can find something to troubleshoot. 

There is going to be some difference between people as a matter of margin of error, actual equipment used, and sometimes procedure (where one of the slipperiest factors is declaring the gripper "closed" but also not adding any additional weight to the rating).  Most of the guys who have rated more than a handful of grippers all get similar numbers, usually limited to <2 pounds up or down. I think each person would have a credible argument they are "right."  In terms of CPW, we've rated so many grippers now that I'm only trying to be consistent with myself.  (Which, looks like the ratings data needs an update.  We are up around 6000 grippers rated.) 

For the DIY person rating grippers at home, I would say the actual number does not matter much.  I would be more interested in whether YOU get the same number if you rate a gripper multiple times.  And then the next question is whether you are comparing two grippers YOU rated.  If the answer is "yes" to both, you will be able to sort your grippers in a meaningful and reliable way.       

In terms of CPW providing a service that we're comfortable charging for, the actual number starts to matter.  And that's where we try and be internally consistent in providing a number that represents "pounds at the close."  I do believe there is a truth about where that number should land with respect to how the measurement is taken. 

I know there wasn't a question posed here, I just ended up rambling :)   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Those are some huge variances.  It's interesting (and encouraging) that you had a similar discrepancy with Gripnbend.  If you PM me about your process, my guess is we can find something to troubleshoot. 

There is going to be some difference between people as a matter of margin of error, actual equipment used, and sometimes procedure (where one of the slipperiest factors is declaring the gripper "closed" but also not adding any additional weight to the rating).  Most of the guys who have rated more than a handful of grippers all get similar numbers, usually limited to <2 pounds up or down. I think each person would have a credible argument they are "right."  In terms of CPW, we've rated so many grippers now that I'm only trying to be consistent with myself.  (Which, looks like the ratings data needs an update.  We are up around 6000 grippers rated.) 

For the DIY person rating grippers at home, I would say the actual number does not matter much.  I would be more interested in whether YOU get the same number if you rate a gripper multiple times.  And then the next question is whether you are comparing two grippers YOU rated.  If the answer is "yes" to both, you will be able to sort your grippers in a meaningful and reliable way.       

In terms of CPW providing a service that we're comfortable charging for, the actual number starts to matter.  And that's where we try and be internally consistent in providing a number that represents "pounds at the close."  I do believe there is a truth about where that number should land with respect to how the measurement is taken. 

The 2-pound variance makes sense, because there is an eyeball factor in here, both for placement of the strap and judgment as to "closed."  Plus, grippers may change a little with use and maintenance.  You have rated four COC 3s for me, and came up with 146, 149, 150, 153.  There is no question that the 153 was the hardest and the 146 the easiest of the four, but in comparing the 149 and the 150, I just had no idea which felt harder, just that they were both a little harder than the 146 and a little easier than the 153.

I agree that unless you are rating grippers as a service, or using them in a competition, you just need to be consistent with yourself, so you can catalog your grippers for your productive use..

• Like 3

When I rated grippers I had some weird problems. Some grippers was impossible for me to get the right rating on (I knew from squeezing them that it was way off). Most grippers was ok, I could get within 2-3 pounds from CPW rating etc. But some grippers was just waaaay off, with like 15-20 pounds, no matter what I did. Very strange, never figured it out.

On 11/25/2019 at 5:40 PM, Cannon said:

Thank you Matt. This is my current rating system. That gripper is my coc Guide, the one I got from you, and its rated 29...but I get 34 there. I used no spacer for that experiment, and a 1" width strap

IMG_20191127_142056.jpg

IMG_20191127_142350.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got my first COC gripper as a Christmas gift by my girl. The COC #3. 

I calibrated it at 162,14 lbs. using a 0’85” strap. A stubborn one. 

I did know that they differed so much, but the feeling and extra strength needed to close the one I have compared to the ones I’ve tried earlier is significant. 

Will for sure calibrate every gripper I get my hands on from now on. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2019 at 7:55 PM, 2sweetdadstrength said:

Heavy Grips 200 - RGC 80

I have a CoC #1 that is rated 81 and the Heavy Grip 200 rated 80 feels a lot heavier.  I guess their springs are different or the sweep of the close is harder at a different area?

Any of my heavy grips that are not counterfeit ones are much tougher than the COC's around the same ratings. sweep is much harder. but i enjoy working with them more.

(counterfeit ones are easy to tell side by side, however they tend to have a much easier sweep , smoother knurling and cheap handles. with twisted springs and uneven handles, they seem to have degraded HG's name a bit somehow)

Quite possibly this varies for each persons hand shape and size , but for most people it seems to be the case.

Edited by PronatorKyle

On 7/21/2019 at 1:55 PM, 2sweetdadstrength said:

HGs tend to have much more smooth knurling (even when new) and also very slightly smaller diameter handles. Technically you are closing the gripper farther than a CoC. 

Neither of those factors show up in the rating, but can be felt in the hand. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Filed HG200 - RGC 89

Filed HG250 - RGC 126

Filed and Rated by Cannon

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here are mine. All rated by CPW

#3 -149

#3 -150

#3 -152

#3 -158 (filed)

GHP8 -169

#3.5 -175

GG6 -190

GG6 -195

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Anyone attempt to use a linear actuator, this one has a 0.3"/sec travel rate at a max load of 225lbs push/pull. some used for things like solar industry have as slow as 0.05"/sec travel rate but you'd pay about $500 for one of those.

image.thumb.png.614d44b4e4754e048241b17de3eac3de.png

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2019 at 7:55 PM, 2sweetdadstrength said:

Heavy Grips 200 - RGC 80

Yeah Heavygrip have a stiffer sweep , the HG300 is a much much harder gripper to close than a Coc3. of the same rating. some HG300's can be harder to set than a 3.5.  there are alot of copy and fake heavy grips around , from what ive had in my hand the original ones are very consistent and well made and done seem to wear down an awful lot.  ive had copies that look almost identical bar a few minuscule things , the 300(counterfeit) felt like a 2.5 soft sweep like a coc.

Edited by PronatorKyle

• 2 months later...

My rated collection, so far. 

Gods of grip 150 #59 (GOG)

Gods of grip 200 #84 (GOG)

Coc Double stamped 2 #102 (GOG)

Coc Left turn 2 #105 (GOG)

Gods of grip 250 #116 (GOG)

New Coc 2.5 #126 (CPW)

Double stamped 3 #150 (GOG)

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

My list is short but should grow soon.

Grip Genie 4 #113 (CPW)

Grip Genie 5 #144 (CPW)

Interestingly my Heavy Grip 250 is unrated but I can close it and I currently am missing my GG4 @ 113lbs by 10-15mm, so either the spread of the grip genie is giving me issues or the HG250 is one the weakest ever? The spread on the Grip genie is about 1/2 a handle larger than the hg250.

Also odd the HG200 I have has one of the smallest spreads I have ever seen? so go figure ...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, eman said:

Grip Genie 4 #113 (CPW)

Grip Genie 5 #144 (CPW)

Interestingly my Heavy Grip 250 is unrated but I can close it and I currently am missing my GG4 @ 113lbs by 10-15mm, so either the spread of the grip genie is giving me issues or the HG250 is one the weakest ever? The spread on the Grip genie is about 1/2 a handle larger than the hg250.

Also odd the HG200 I have has one of the smallest spreads I have ever seen? so go figure ...

Are they genuine heavy grips or the fakes? 

On 9/8/2020 at 7:30 PM, eman said:

Grip Genie 4 #113 (CPW)

Grip Genie 5 #144 (CPW)

If it helps I happened to have measured the spreads on my HGs just yesterday. Apart from the 150 which I think was a manufacturing issue, as HG did get replace them but I asked for the 300 instead, they are all pretty similar. I don't have them rated yet but am considering doing so.

HG150: 7.2cm

HG200: 5.8cm

HG250: 6.2cm

HG300: 6.0cm

Edited by Kaesar83
Clarity

5 minutes ago, Kaesar83 said:

If it helps I happened to have measured the spreads on my HGs just yesterday. Apart from the 150 which I think was a manufacturing issue, as HG did get replace them but I asked for the 300 instead, they are all pretty similar. I don't have them rated yet but am considering doing so.

HG150: 7.2cm

HG200: 5.8cm

HG250: 6.2cm

HG300: 6.0cm

I know you are not replying to me but they are all over the place. Did you buy them from the same place? Just there are HG fakes that get sold that are meant to be all over with spreads and quality. Also ive just twigged you are the bloke ive been taking to about grippers on the reddit grip strength group. 🤣

Edited by mcalpine1986

13 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I know you are not replying to me but they are all over the place. Did you buy them from the same place? Just there are HG fakes that get sold that are meant to be all over with spreads and quality. Also ive just twigged you are the bloke ive been taking to about grippers on the reddit grip strength group. 🤣

You reckon? A 2mm stand deviation is all over the place? I'd say considering every gripper is different, even with its own brand, I wouldn't expect them to be perfectly identical. Post your spreads up of your CoC's and we can compare how much they differ?

The 200 and 250 came from the same place, a proper sports retailer online. The 300s came direct from HG themselves. Can't remember about the 150s nor can I find an order email for those. But these were all purchased back in 2012, long before you could even find a gripper on eBay/Amazon that wasn't one of those plastic pieces of cr*p. I don't think they were even being faked back then and Amazon was actually Amazon and not a market place iirc. The only one that feels a bit different in the sweep is the 150 but that would make sense with the different spread width. It might be from an early batch, it could be a defect, or something else with those. I might have to check through my work email archive now in case I ordered using that address.

Haha yes it's me mate, thought you should've twigged. I worked out it was you from the specific ratings 😂

Edited by Kaesar83
Engrisch

10 minutes ago, Kaesar83 said:

You reckon? A 2mm stand deviation is all over the place? I'd say considering every gripper is different, even with its own brand, I wouldn't expect them to be perfectly identical. Post your spreads up of your CoC's and we can compare how much they differ?

The 200 and 250 came from the same place, a proper sports retailer online. The 300s came direct from HG themselves. Can't remember about the 150s nor can I find an order email for those. But these were all purchased back in 2012, long before you could even find a gripper on eBay/Amazon that wasn't one of those plastic pieces of cr*p. I don't think they were even being faked back then and Amazon was actually Amazon and not a market place iirc. The only one that feels a bit different in the sweep is the 150 but that would make sense with the different spread width. It might be from an early batch, it could be a defect, or something else with those. I might have to check through my work email archive now in case I ordered using that address.

Haha yes it's me mate, thought you should've twigged. I worked out it was you from the specific ratings 😂

2mm yes is normal of course but you say they go from 58mm to 72mm. Thats a fair difference. Im not saying yours are fakes i just know they exist. Im sure yours are the real deal. 

Aye nice to see you on here. 👍 its a bit different on reddit compared to the gripboard. Im still getting used to all the up and down votings stuff.