Rgc Ratings

MalachiMcMullen

I got an RGC off Chris over a year ago and it's taken me this long to get around to calibrating all my grippers. To be fair it's only been in the last few months I've been at a gym with cal'd plates (Ivankos that were used for the CAPO Australian Powerlifting Nationals :cool ). All the measurements were made in kgs (but I've done the conversions as well, to make it a little easier for all the seppos :D ). Because we don't have an equivilant to 2.5lbs plates I had to use 0.5kg plates as my smallest increment.

My Grippers:

BBSE-------------------------97.25kgs 214lbs

IM#4 2005-------------------94.75kgs 209lbs

IM#3.5-----------------------78.5kgs 173lbs

Soilworker’s Mutant IM#3-74kgs 163lbs (This is the one with the 3.45" spread)

RB300N----------------------71.5kgs 158lbs

My Original 2006 IM#3-----70.25kgs 155lbs

Jason Deane’s 2005 IM#3--68.5kgs 151lbs

BB In Stress’s 2006 IM#3--67.75kgs 149lbs

RB240N-----------------------63.25kgs 139lbs

BBSM--------------------------62.25kgs 137lbs

ABT Monster Gripper---------59kgs 130lbs

RB210--------------------------59kgs 130lbs

IM#2.5-------------------------58.25kgs 128lbs

IM#2 2006---------------------49.5kgs 109lbs

IM#1.5-------------------------40kgs 88lbs

IM#1 2006---------------------35.25kgs 78lbs

IM Trainer 2006---------------27kgs 60lbs

IM Sport 2006-----------------18.5kgs 41lbs

Current Western Australia's Strongest Man Daniel Macri helped me calibrate the grippers and we did his as well.

Dan's grippers:

IM#2---------------------------50.25kgs 111lbs

IM#1---------------------------35.75kgs 79lbs

IM Trainer---------------------27.25kgs 60lbs

Edited by chop163

You have to take into account that the Sport I have has barely been used (it's actually my fiancee's) and it'll probably season down a little more once she can close it for reps.

Here is the list all of Finnish gripster´s grippers, what I have calibrated. 479 calibrated gripper:

http://p2.foorumi.info/rautakoura/viewtopi...t=9&start=0

Matti, I've always wondered about your setup. Do you use the same RGC-style calibrator?

To answer for Matti, yes he does. :)

Here is the list all of Finnish gripster´s grippers, what I have calibrated. 479 calibrated gripper:

http://p2.foorumi.info/rautakoura/viewtopi...t=9&start=0

Thanks Teemu :)

Cannon,

I use exactly same device than RGC. It is 1:1 copy of that, but my setup for the device is a little bit strange looking :whacked

Edited by kilkkinen

Hey Matti,

Calibrator works great. Do you have the dimensions of the "square tubing" piece and the upright pieces .

Also, how far apart are the uprights?

Is the round tubing the gripper handle fits into "3/4 inch"?

Thanks,

Marc

Here is the video:

Thank you for sharing this Kilkkinen! It is nice seeing one in action.

Thank´s guys :) That was my friends Jarmo Meriä´s idea to take a video! Thanks goes to Jarmo :)

Edited by kilkkinen

Thank´s guys :) That was my friends Jarmo Meriä´s idea to take a video! Thanks goes to Jarmo :)

Good video! Do you do anything to ensure the same strap placement on the gripper handle?

Great vid! I suggested this quite a few months back but until now this is the first....awesome work :rock

Okay, after almost 4 months, and 136 posts, I combed through everything on this thread relating to IronMind Number 3 grippers, and this is what I found:

1. There appeared to be 31 different Number 3's discussed. Some of them are listed multiple times, as some have been calibrated by more than one person.

2. One of the Number 3's that was definitely a "mutant", rated over 190 pounds, is, as pointed out in posts numbers 115, 116, and 117, an old steel handed gripper, so it is not exactly in the spirit of calibrating recent purchases, which may not be the purpose of this thread, but is a factor for me to consider what is being produced these days.

3. The other gripper with a relatively high calibration (165) appeared to drop down to 153 after being oiled (post number 70).

4. That leaves 29 Number 3's, which, rounded to the nearest pound, break down as follows:

1@142

1@143

1@144

2@145

2@147

1@148

2@149

2@150

4@151

5@152

2@153

1@154

1@155

2@156

1@159

1@161

My "hard 3" was calibrated by one person as 158, and another at 159. I listed it as 159. For Certification purposes, I was always afraid that there was a 20% chance of getting a "mutant Number 3". Obviously, based on this data, those odds are WAY off. That being said, I was at a Weightlifting contest yesterday in Los Altos California yesterday, and there was a fellow there selling House of Pain apparel, he had some IronMind grippers for sale, as well as samples of all the strengths available for squeezing. He had a Number 3 that WAS a mutant, as it was significantly tougher than my 158/159 pound gripper.

The biggest surprise is that there are as many as there are UNDER 150 pounds. Most of us are paranoid of the "mighty 3s of today". Looks to be a myth, not fact. Quite frankly, these numbers indicate these things have less variabilty than I had given IronMind credit for.

So, what I got out of this is that I need to dominate my Hard Number 3, and I should be ready for Certification.

Thanks everyone for your hard work weighing mailing measuring sharing the information.

Mike

Kilkkenen's Finnish gripper calibrations is one of the most impressive pieces of work I have seen. Wow! Too bad we are not paying you by the hour!

I combed through it and found that there were 52 Number 3s, one of them filed, so 51 Number 3s. Rounding to the nearest pound, here is what I found:

1@135

2@141

1@145

5@147

6@148

1@151

2@152

8@153

3@155

1@156

4@158

6@159

1@160

5@162

1@164

1@166

2@168

1@172

Using the actual pounds as reported, the Average was 154.5 pounds. The "Median" was 153.4 pounds.

All of that sounds good. However, the Finns seem to have many more "over 160 pound" grippers than the Americans.

Great work Kilkkinen! :rock

Great vid! I suggested this quite a few months back but until now this is the first....awesome work :rock

Nah, it's just the first that was shared with the open board.

I posted a video of my HG350 calibration here a few months back :D

Using the actual pounds as reported, the Average was 154.5 pounds. The "Median" was 153.4 pounds.

With such a large sample size, this is a reliable number for the "ideal" #3. Thanks for putting it all together.

I posted a video of my HG350 calibration here a few months back :D

Ok, let me rephrase it, when I suggested it, no one replied to it, or even blinked at a reply...point was that to make everything standard, calibrations had to have a standard method, and the easiest way to spread the word was vids with comments and then decisions from those discussions.

Ok, let me rephrase it, when I suggested it, no one replied to it, or even blinked at a reply...point was that to make everything standard, calibrations had to have a standard method, and the easiest way to spread the word was vids with comments and then decisions from those discussions.

I didn't even see it.

Edited by Magnus

6 more gripper today. Easiest #3.5 what I have calibrated.

- J.Hannus IM #1 / 37 kg / 81.68 lbs / rating = 0.94

- Timo Tuukkanen IM #2 / 48 kg / 105.96 lbs / rating = 1.85

- Timo Tuukkanen IM #2.5 / 60 kg / 132.45 lbs / rating = 2.56

- Timo Tuukkanen IM #3 / 70 kg / 154.53 lbs / rating = 3.08

- Timo Tuukkanen IM #3.5 / 74.5 kg / 165.56 lbs / rating = 3.25

- Timo Tuukkanen IM #4 / 95 kg / 209.71 lbs / rating = 4.01

Total 485

Edited by kilkkinen

Wow, that's the easiest 3.5 I've heard of.

Yes, Grippers varies A LITTLE :D

Easiest #3.5 is now : - kilkkinen IM #3.5 / 74.5 kg / 165.56 lbs / rating = 3.25

Hardest #3.5 is now : - kilkkinen IM3,5 / 86 kg / 189,85 lbs / rating = 3,68

11,5kg´s ( 25.39 lbs ) different!